• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Fixing Negative Point Issues

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
I received the following e-mail, today, Thursday. When I received the 'you have a points issue' email on Monday, I panicked as I was fully booked through 2018 using all points, most points for firm vacations with some points being used as a 'points deposit feature' test. I was not sure how the points issue would be resolved, so I called immediately after receiving that first email. I cancelled the placeholder reservation and suggested to the VC how we resolve the issue. They did as I suggested. Points were corrected the same day and my points pots are now right. I panicked on Monday because I was unsure of which vacations might be cancelled to fix the problem. This note clearly states that they would call me to figure it out. For that statement, I give them a good customer service mark. Bad that the points got messed up this Spring (which I reported), Good that they would work with me on resolving. My situation might be easier to fix than some, I'm Silver VIP and only take 4 or 5 Wyndham vacations a year.
=====================
As a valued member of our CLUB WYNDHAM® Plus family, your ownership experience is very important to us. As a result of a change to one or more of your contracts that occurred between mid-April l through this week, a discrepancy arose in the number of available points you have for your current Use Year. Regrettably, this discrepancy caused your points balance to appear higher than the amount your contract allows. In order to reconcile your points balance, the surplus points have now been removed from your account.

If you’ve already booked a reservation using those surplus points, it’s possible that the points balance on your account will now show a negative amount. If this is the case, a member of our Vacation Planning team will be reaching out to you within the next few days to review options with you. If you’ve already spoken to a member of our Vacation Planning team about this matter, no additional action is required on your part.

We look forward to talking to you soon.

Sincerely,

Club Wyndham Plus Owner Services

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Does this make sense? Were there changes in your contracts sometime after mid-April that might help explain this? Not that it should matter -- Wyndham should be able to handle contract changes without creating points balance issues. Just curious if this is 99% BS or 100% BS.

I love the use of the passive voice -- ". . . points balances arose." Let's blame it on those nasty old points balances just running off doing whatever they want.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There were changes late in May. And, I reported the problem at that time. 5 months to resolve, yes, that's a bit excessive. I was only trying to share that they were willing to work on resolving my balance versus just arbitrarily cancelling vacations. Had they cancelled a vacation over something I reported 5 months ago, I would have gone ballistic.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow. Such incompetence. Why would any owner trust Wyndham's accounting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tia

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow. Such incompetence. Why would any owner trust Wyndham's accounting?

Agree, incompetence. I trust my Spreadsheet!!! While I had no idea where the extra points came from, I did know that they were there and was careful to only use them for a vacation that I could easily cancel.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's insane that owners need to track points usage. And it takes five months to clear. And Wyndham is not forthright enough to "own" that it was their screw up. Heads should roll!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
No, no!! You have it backwards! Wyndham is the one telling us to "OWN IT!"

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I received a similar email this week. I have been calling for weeks to get all of my points returned from a cancel stay because of Hurricane Irma.
The problem stems from how they accounted from a a contract returned through Ovations that had no 2017 points due to credit pool before I bought it. The accounting had been correct until I cancelled the Sept. stay at Palm Aire.
I have not received a call from anyone. I tried to call today but hung up after being on hold for 30 minutes.

Last edited:

bsheets326

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received the same email. Unfortunately I had some points I would not be able to use this year, so I moved them to RCI last month. Now Wyndham tells me that they made an error, and my point balance is now negative. If I didn't fix it then they would cancel my upcoming reservation. I asked about getting the points back from RCI to settle the deficit, but of course they said no. They did offer to rent me more points. How kind of them. I finally settled on taking some points from next year's balance. Needless to say, I'm once again disappointed by Wyndham. I've been divesting myself of Wyndham properties for the past year, and I plan to continue. I enjoy many of the properties, but it's obvious that they care nothing about the owners.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I asked about getting the points back from RCI to settle the deficit, but of course they said no.
Taking the points back from RCI would have been the right thing to do. Unfortunate that the problem existed in the first place, we never get explanations on that from Wyndham.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Has this issue been resolved? What exactly happens if you have a negative balance when your use year ends?

I just made some reservations for 2018 & I didn't have quite enough 2018 use year points; the system should have taken the balance from my credit pool points. Instead, they didn't touch my credit pool points at all & my 2018 point "balance" is now negative.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received the same email. Unfortunately I had some points I would not be able to use this year, so I moved them to RCI last month. Now Wyndham tells me that they made an error, and my point balance is now negative. If I didn't fix it then they would cancel my upcoming reservation. I asked about getting the points back from RCI to settle the deficit, but of course they said no. They did offer to rent me more points. How kind of them. I finally settled on taking some points from next year's balance. Needless to say, I'm once again disappointed by Wyndham. I've been divesting myself of Wyndham properties for the past year, and I plan to continue. I enjoy many of the properties, but it's obvious that they care nothing about the owners.

Should have made them take them from RCI. Or write off their mistake.

johnstonga

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Point Balances have been screwed up for about Two YEARS ... and I am Under Audit again because I have Negative Balances in a couple of my future line-item use year start dates.

It all began in 2016
when I began reporting odd, out of whack point balances showing up in my use year end dates.
For my good citizenship, after six months I had my account Frozen for over a month in the fall while an audit was conducted...... then "thawed" for another couple of months and finally resolved without any penalty to me .... just six months of frustration followed by another six months of 'collateral damage'.

By the spring of 2017, I thought the worst had passed. Then the new system came along and the point balances were 'weird' again ... but I didn't report anything because Wyndham had "Much Bigger Fish to Fry" with the catastrophic roll out of the new system .... and I feared that any Wyndham "cure" for my issues might be worse than their "diseased" transfer/rollout. Instead, I decided to roll with the punches and hoped that the garbage would be flushed out by 2017 reservations andt that 2018 would bring some clarity ... both in the new system and my own account.

In January 2018, while following up on an unrelated lack-of-inventory issue due to the new system Over booking "lock-off" units,
I was informed that there were some Negative Balance 'time bombs' in my future use years which could result in 471K points being deducted from my point balance at the beginning of those use years. So .... I am now under audit again and was told to expect the results on/by March 1.

Points = Money.

I've had bank accounts for over 50 years .... I can only remember One Error in any of my Bank accounts in 50+ years, and that was in my favor.

My Wyndham Account has been Platinum since 2000 , Silver and Gold before that -- all when it was still Fairfield.
I never had a Point Balance problem until 2016.

Two years later .... I still have a Point Balance problem because the "Wyndham" Bank can no longer keep track of our "money".

Now, I hope it can all be cleared up by 2019 .... it's still a hope, perhaps I should also add prayer.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't you just love the new improved website? The time spent trying to keep track points balances is a joke. I wish they would do the same on calculating maintenance fees. Maybe next month forget to bill me for them. What a joke this new improved website has become. One year into the new system and it seems they still are working the bugs out of it.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Don't you just love the new improved website? The time spent trying to keep track points balances is a joke. I wish they would do the same on calculating maintenance fees. Maybe next month forget to bill me for them. What a joke this new improved website has become. One year into the new system and it seems they still are working the bugs out of it.

If there are any missed maintenance fee payments due to their error, they will catch it and require payment. We know this firsthand, lol! If this ever happens to any of you, be aware that they can waive any late or penalty fees. And they can also waive the fee to take a credit card payment over the phone too.

We had a missed payment three or four years ago when we got a new credit card account number issued. I deleted the old card number and added the new one too close to the date of the automatic payment. It might be different now but then it took more than just three or four days for their system to update the new card info. Their system never took anything out that month and it took them three months to tell us there was a missed payment. I never caught it on the credit card statement because due to our monthly closing date and the payment date, sometimes there will be two payments on one statement and no payment on the previous or next statement. I called financial services to find out why we were being told we owed money and we got it figured out. They took a one time payment to make it right and waived the fees.

jberndt10

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m dealing with way smaller descrepencies in points than many of you. However, today I was told “there are things we (Wyndham) can see but you can’t” which I called immediate BS on. Now I’m going to get a hard copy of my transactions since 1/1/17. Tried this once already and it wasn’t worth the paper or stamp. Basically, I’m supposed to trust that they are managing my points correctly. If this were a bank I feel some kind of external investigation would be happening. Has a complaint been made the Florida AG or some other agency? I say Florida since that’s the address at the bottom of the club Wyndham site.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
In the military I learned that while the squeaky wheel gets the grease, the pop-up target usually gets shot.

That is how I approach managing my Club Wyndham acct. Serenity now.