• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Floating vs. Fixed for buying resale at DSV

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I have been thinking about getting a Marriott timeshare (for years on and off) and am trying to reacquaint myself with what is going on I the world of Marriott resales. I don't care about the points system at all I just want to trade in II with it for other Marriott's. Even though it might not have the cheapest maintenance fees for this purpose, I was thinking of limiting my search to Palm Desert and am partial to Desert Spring Villas I or II. If the timeshare world turns upside down and I can only stay in the resort I purchased, Palm Desert is a short flight away and a place I actually enjoy going.

That said, when I look at listings for red weeks in DSVI, I am seeing floating weeks 1-21 & 50-52. Is this what I should be targeting? I am also seeing fixed weeks, is there any reason one would want to buy a fixed week in red season (if they don't plan on staying in the unit that week)? Again, strictly when depositing in II and pulling other Marriott's, would you recommend one over the other?

As a side note, I currently own Sheraton Desert Oasis and I seem to be able to pull Marriott's very frequently, I see 11 months out. When owning a Marriott will that increase my window to see other Marriott trades before it opens up to non-Marriott owners?

Thanks!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
DSV has three "seasons" - - red (1-21, 51-52), white (22-26, 36-49?) and blue (27-35).

I own one red week and 2 white weeks. Red trades slightly better but white trades okay too. I personally enjoy going out to DSV in the fall, but spring is also very nice. If I was going to do it over, I'd probably spend more and get a red week.

Over at Shadow ridge, they use the nomenclature of platinum, gold and bronze.

I think that fixed DSV weeks must be pretty rare. Or it is an error in the listing. Sometimes I'll see the ad says something like week 20 - - but in nearly all cases that is the week assigned to the deeded week for accounting purposes but it is actually a floating week.

Perhaps others will comment on whether DSV includes true fixed weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a Marriott timeshare (for years on and off) and am trying to reacquaint myself with what is going on I the world of Marriott resales. I don't care about the points system at all I just want to trade in II with it for other Marriott's. Even though it might not have the cheapest maintenance fees for this purpose, I was thinking of limiting my search to Palm Desert and am partial to Desert Spring Villas I or II. If the timeshare world turns upside down and I can only stay in the resort I purchased, Palm Desert is a short flight away and a place I actually enjoy going.

That said, when I look at listings for red weeks in DSVI, I am seeing floating weeks 1-21 & 50-52. Is this what I should be targeting? I am also seeing fixed weeks, is there any reason one would want to buy a fixed week in red season (if they don't plan on staying in the unit that week)? Again, strictly when depositing in II and pulling other Marriott's, would you recommend one over the other?

As a side note, I currently own Sheraton Desert Oasis and I seem to be able to pull Marriott's very frequently, I see 11 months out. When owning a Marriott will that increase my window to see other Marriott trades before it opens up to non-Marriott owners?

Thanks!
I think it's good to consider the what ifs and if it's something you'd use part of the time that sounds like a good plan. But just for what if options later, I'd go more for the savings over the theoretical insurance of location. From a trading standpoint I think a Gold/White week there will trade roughly the same (maybe slightly better than some) as any other trader Platinum (Orlando, LV, Branson, Williamsburg). If you can get a Platinum week there for a very good price, that might be even better. A little food for thought: Most Grande Vista weeks are in the FL club giving you additional options for the other FC resorts, LV 3 BR trades as a 2 BR plus a 1 BR if you lock it off and I believe the enclave deluxe units trade as two 1 BR when locked off. I wouldn't discount the effect of the fees though since you could be looking at a $400 spread between the lowest fees for a trading resort vs DSV I.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
For the Desert also remember that Jan through April 31st is the high season: Jan/Feb-snowbirds, March- Tennis, and April- Spring Beach and Coachella/StageCoach. It’s very busy time so Platinum seasons are normally rented instead of traded. I own 2wks at Westin.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Thanks!

We own a Platinum 2BR lock off at DSV1 and love it. We have also stayed in DSVII. I am not aware of any fixed week units.

The units at DSV1 are larger and are perhaps the largest 2BR units ever built. The guest room side has two large beds while DSVII has one king bed and a sofa sleeper. Another difference is the balcony of the guest rooms in DSV1 look out over the parking area. The living room in DSV1 is sunken but not in DSVII. Otherwise, the two resorts share the property’s amenities. One other difference of that DSV1 owners and guests can use the amenities at the adjoining JW Marriott on Monday- Friday. The MF’s include about $70 due to having that access.

We prefer DSV1, but are very happy to stay in DSV2 as well. The trading power has been very good and if we are trading it through II we will usually lock it off and get two weeks instead of one. We usually pay II’s size upgrade fee on one or both of the trades depending on our needs for the trip.

Personally I would spend a few thousand dollars more and buy a Platinum unit, especially if you are looking to trade it some years.

Best regards.

Mike

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
We own a Platinum 2BR lock off at DSV1 and love it. We have also stayed in DSVII. I am not aware of any fixed week units.

The units at DSV1 are larger and are perhaps the largest 2BR units ever built. The guest room side has two large beds while DSVII has one king bed and a sofa sleeper. Another difference is the balcony of the guest rooms in DSV1 look out over the parking area. The living room in DSV1 is sunken but not in DSVII. Otherwise, the two resorts share the property’s amenities. One other difference of that DSV1 owners and guests can use the amenities at the adjoining JW Marriott on Monday- Friday. The MF’s include about $70 due to having that access.

We prefer DSV1, but are very happy to stay in DSV2 as well. The trading power has been very good and if we are trading it through II we will usually lock it off and get two weeks instead of one. We usually pay II’s size upgrade fee on one or both of the trades depending on our needs for the trip.

Personally I would spend a few thousand dollars more and buy a Platinum unit, especially if you are looking to trade it some years.

Best regards.

Mike

I think maybe I'm getting confused on the 'colours' of the weeks available at DSV1. I thought red was the best I could buy? What would a Platinum unit look like (as far as weeks listed, is the Platinum the same as Red)? I have stayed at both resorts, and am happy at either, but do like the sunken living room and spaciousness of DSV1. I managed to get a patio facing some green space last time (road was farther in the distance if I recall). Very nice overall.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
DSV has three "seasons" - - red (1-21, 51-52), white (22-26, 36-49?) and blue (27-35).

I think that fixed DSV weeks must be pretty rare. Or it is an error in the listing. Sometimes I'll see the ad says something like week 20 - - but in nearly all cases that is the week assigned to the deeded week for accounting purposes but it is actually a floating week.

Perhaps others will comment on whether DSV includes true fixed weeks.

I am seeing fixed: week 3, 30, 32, 45, 49. Most of the listings match the seasons you listed above though.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think maybe I'm getting confused on the 'colours' of the weeks available at DSV1. I thought red was the best I could buy? What would a Platinum unit look like (as far as weeks listed, is the Platinum the same as Red)? I have stayed at both resorts, and am happy at either, but do like the sunken living room and spaciousness of DSV1. I managed to get a patio facing some green space last time (road was farther in the distance if I recall). Very nice overall.
If you think red = Platinum, White = Gold and Blue = Silver/Bronze you'll be pretty close. Then the enclaves confuses it even more with an expanded Gold season IIRC.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am seeing fixed: week 3, 30, 32, 45, 49. Most of the listings match the seasons you listed above though.
Must be the underlying week of the deed, you're not guaranteed that week if so.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I think it's good to consider the what ifs and if it's something you'd use part of the time that sounds like a good plan. But just for what if options later, I'd go more for the savings over the theoretical insurance of location. From a trading standpoint I think a Gold/White week there will trade roughly the same (maybe slightly better than some) as any other trader Platinum (Orlando, LV, Branson, Williamsburg). If you can get a Platinum week there for a very good price, that might be even better. A little food for thought: Most Grande Vista weeks are in the FL club giving you additional options for the other FC resorts, LV 3 BR trades as a 2 BR plus a 1 BR if you lock it off and I believe the enclave deluxe units trade as two 1 BR when locked off. I wouldn't discount the effect of the fees though since you could be looking at a $400 spread between the lowest fees for a trading resort vs DSV I.

I did read about Grande Vista being a good idea as a trader (and the others you mentioned), but I discounted it as a contender because I don't see myself going to Orlando for a really long time (maybe if I have grandkids someday... I still have a kid in middle-school at home). I owned Disney Beach Club Villas when my kids were younger and did Orlando a lot, the flight from Vancouver is terrible in travel-time and price so I pretty much avoid travel to Florida unless it was for a cruise. I didn't realize Grande Vista was part of a FL club, I will have to read up on that. My favourite is the Lakeshore Reserve if I were to go back. I will go back and look at the fee chart too. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did read about Grande Vista being a good idea as a trader (and the others you mentioned), but I discounted it as a contender because I don't see myself going to Orlando for a really long time (maybe if I have grandkids someday... I still have a kid in middle-school at home). I owned Disney Beach Club Villas when my kids were younger and did Orlando a lot, the flight from Vancouver is terrible in travel-time and price so I pretty much avoid travel to Florida unless it was for a cruise. I didn't realize Grande Vista was part of a FL club, I will have to read up on that. My favourite is the Lakeshore Reserve if I were to go back. I will go back and look at the fee chart too. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sure, the whole idea is to give you variations and angles so you can decide what's best for YOU. But no way would I pay an extra $400 a year for a Gold/White week as a trader unless I specifically intended to use it part of the time. IMO it is not worth that just to have "just in case" options.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
For the Desert also remember that Jan through April 31st is the high season: Jan/Feb-snowbirds, March- Tennis, and April- Spring Beach and Coachella/StageCoach. It’s very busy time so Platinum seasons are normally rented instead of traded. I own 2wks at Westin.

Yes, you're right. I haven't even tried to trade into Palm Desert in Spring time, and there is pretty much zero availability on II by the time I think of planning a trip there. Summer however is a whole different story, so Palm Desert ends up being our go-to place for a trip if we hadn't planned on anything else. Easy to fly to from Vancouver and easy to pull a great 2 bedroom unit even with the Small 1 bedroom side of my SDO. I am still using my timeshare weeks for Spring break, Summer and the occasional Christmas, but I know that will change in the next 5 years. I am looking forward to not being tied to the school schedule!

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
If you think red = Platinum, White = Gold and Blue = Silver/Bronze you'll be pretty close. Then the enclaves confuses it even more with an expanded Gold season IIRC.

This is super helpful. Thanks!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Spring in CA Desert is truly not a trade in option because of the seasonal activities. I am tied to school calendar and most units are rented instead of traded. Hotel rooms start in the $500. So if you want the season, buy Platinum. I have a friend who own DSV I/II red season for that reason. Plus golf.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Yes, you're right. I haven't even tried to trade into Palm Desert in Spring time, and there is pretty much zero availability on II by the time I think of planning a trip there. Summer however is a whole different story, so Palm Desert ends up being our go-to place for a trip if we hadn't planned on anything else. Easy to fly to from Vancouver and easy to pull a great 2 bedroom unit even with the Small 1 bedroom side of my SDO. I am still using my timeshare weeks for Spring break, Summer and the occasional Christmas, but I know that will change in the next 5 years. I am looking forward to not being tied to the school schedule!

Two bedroom Palm Springs / Palm Desert summer weeks are usually available as Getaways on Interval -- and cost less than even using a small side SDO week as a trader (considering the MF's, the exchange fee, and the size upgrade fee).

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Two bedroom Palm Springs / Palm Desert summer weeks are usually available as Getaways on Interval -- and cost less than even using a small side SDO week as a trader (considering the MF's, the exchange fee, and the size upgrade fee).
Yes, I only noticed this very recently (unfortunately). I hadn't given much consideration to the Getaways before, but I can see that there are some weeks I could grab for about $300ish yet 1/2 my maintenance fees alone is over $600. And as you say, the cost of II membership, my exchange fee and size upgrade... it makes it quite a bit more expensive (perhaps triple the price of the Getaway!). Best to save my trades for Hawaii or a prime week somewhere.

Last edited:

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
Thanks, SteelerGal, I have no idea which specific weeks will be hard to get yet so will have to see when those events fall on the calendar. Will 3rd and 4th week of March be hard/impossible to book for Marriott, seeing that I will not have multiple units so may only be able to book at 12 months mark? Perhaps a Marriott owner can chime in too?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Spring in CA Desert is truly not a trade in option because of the seasonal activities. I am tied to school calendar and most units are rented instead of traded. Hotel rooms start in the $500. So if you want the season, buy Platinum. I have a friend who own DSV I/II red season for that reason. Plus golf.
How do the Coachella weeks rent? I was thinking of picking up a Westin week to trade or be able to rent during Coachella

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
How do the Coachella weeks rent? I was thinking of picking up a Westin week to trade or be able to rent during Coachella
Double or more. Coachella is 2 weekends. StageCoach is the weekend after.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Double or more. Coachella is 2 weekends. StageCoach is the weekend after.
How hard is it to get those weeks? When is Coachella announced? I assume Thursday to Thursday is ideal for booking?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
It can be hard. Ppl have complained. It’s just not concert weekends but also Spring Break. Last year we had to go to Vegas. Hated it. So it will be either Arizona or Palm Desert for us going forward.