TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

For People who Pooled Points before that option was eliminated...

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by Sandy VDH, May 11, 2019.

1. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    ....and have NOT used up all those pooled points yet you may be in the same situation as me. If you used up on your pooled this is not a topic for you. But if you are like me then this might apply.

I had it in my head because I am VIPP that I can now just wait until the end of the year and if I have points left I will just decide to move them into 2020 or 21. However, Pooled point left over have impacted that decision.

• I Pooled (916K) points in both 2016 and 2017.
    • I have not yet used up all those pooled points about (325K), they expire May 2020.
    • I have remaining 2019 points (370K).
    • I have a full allotment of 2020 points (916K).
    • I have some bookings that I still need to make in 2019 (189K).

I Pooled points in May 2017 just before the change that eliminated the Pooling option. So those points are expiring in May 2020. I am also VIP Platinum and I have until the end of the year to Save my 2019 points, (but this might also apply to Gold and Silver who's Save deposit windows for 2019 are still open).

I got to thinking if I use my 2019 points to book my reservations coming later this year, then I will ALSO have to book up my remaining Pooled points by May of 2020. That may be an issue. So it might be better for me to take some action now and move some points around.

Since Pooled points have no booking restriction, it will be fine to use those for booking my known remaining 2019 reservation, that I am waiting for the 2 month window on.

It would be better for me to Pool my remaining 2019 points NOW and just pay the fee.
    Thus moving my 2019 points to 2021, (as I have all of my 2020 and the remaining pooled left no known planned need in 2020). Then I can use my previously pooled points to book my remaining 2019 reservation.

So just evaluate if any of you are in a similar position. Although I had set up my brain to not worry about point expiring until the very end of the year, this year will be the last year this exception will happen.

Plan accordingly and take action if necessary.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. ecwinch

ecwinch Moderator

I have to admit you almost lost me (and I am in an almost identical position).

But I guess you are saying that since the May 2020 points are truly lose or use, it is best to ensure you burn them up ASAP. Because you do have some options regarding your 2019 points.

Sandy VDH likes this.
  3. Sandy VDH

Resorts Owned:
    That is the end result, yes.

But I was explaining how I got there, especially saying I had points expiring in May which is off the normal use year grid (and I didn't want that to add confusion) but will be a date for those who pooled in 2017 and have not burned through them all. I hate to loose any points, and would rather proactively manage to use them better.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    ecwinch likes this.
  4. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    I'm in a similar situation with pooled points expiring Jan 2020. If I don't use them by the end of this year my plan was to call and see if they'd let me put them in RCI. Hoping they will allow it since previously we could make a reservation using points from the credit pool, cancel to get them in current year and then deposit to RCI.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they allow it.

5. capital city

capital city TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
    Can a VC use points from the other pot of points? So that you can wait on depositing 2019's points? Not that any of us want to call in every reservation, just a thought

6. ecwinch

ecwinch Moderator

No. The system determines what points are taken for a reservation.

The manual work-around is to tie up the 2019 points in reservations (that you will later cancel), and then make the reservations you need with the May 2020 points. That is how I tackled it.

Braindead likes this.
  7. Sandy VDH

Resorts Owned:
    That is a thought, but in either case I will end up saving 2019 points in all likelihood, but I guess I would pay them later and not now.

8. paxsarah

paxsarah TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Pagosa, Wyndham at The Cottages & Ocean Blvd
    Although I've never tried calling and pleading my case to a human, it's not possible in the online system and I'd be surprised if they'd make an exception. Especially since the cancelled points workaround was eliminated two updates ago - I believe cancelled points were eliminated in 2015. We've had to deal with not being able to transfer credit pooled points to RCI for nearly four years, so I'm not sure you'll get much sympathy from Wyndham on that one.

9. am1

am1 TUG Member

Glad I am on the outside looking in. A lot different then just pushing points forward for ever.

10. Sandy VDH

Resorts Owned:
    I think I can make my situation work. But I just wanted to heads up anyone else in the same situation. If they hadn't really thought about it. Like I hadn't.

I can always save my 2019, so I have options. But clearly I have to use or lose the Pooled points.

11. learnalot

learnalot TUG Member

Sandy,

I agree with your thinking. I would also do what you have described - just go ahead and push the 2019 points forward now so that they don't end up complicating access to your pooled points before they expire in May. Especially since I think you tend to do quite a bit of booking and cancelling, pushing your 2109 points forward now will help ensure that your bookings (and cancellations) are accessing your earliest expiring points.

Baby Jane likes this.
  12. Baby Jane

Baby Jane Guest

Well they used my pooled points first when I booked within 10 months for this year but I did cancel a reservation and now have until October to use those points. I even think they used them on ARP before but that’s not good because when you cancel those it puts the points into use last by December

13. paxsarah

paxsarah TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Pagosa, Wyndham at The Cottages & Ocean Blvd
    They will use whatever expires first. So if your pooled points expire in October but your use year is Jan 1, the system correctly used the pooled points first and the advice in the OP doesn't apply to your situation. This is for owners whose pooled points expire sometime in 2020 but can still move 2019 points into a future year.

14. OutSkiing

OutSkiing TUG Member

We have 136k of those pooled points as well. They say they are for Use Year May 2017 - May 2020. I am trying to use them up on an August 2019 reservation by temporarily tying up my 2019 points except what I need over and above the 136K that I want drawn from the pool. But the system is telling me I don't have enough points! The points calculator says I DO have a few more than enough for travel on that date.

I can book an un-needed 2020 reservation that burns the pooled points but not a 2019 reservation.

Shouldn't this work?

Maybe I'll wait overnight and see if it works tomorrow.

Bob

15. Zeke_62

Zeke_62 Guest

I am in that same situation. I chose to hold my Dec 2019 points in a reservation I will cancel later. Mainly because I have not decided whether to move them to 2020 or 2021.

Baby Jane likes this.
  16. OutSkiing

OutSkiing TUG Member

Couldn't do a 2019 reservation with those points .. ended up booking a weekend in Chicago in 2020 to make use of the points.