• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

FREE ~ The Ridge Tahoe (Tower), Lake Tahoe, 2BD Lock-off, Annual Float PRIME Season, Interval Int'l

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
Hello!

My husband and I are retiring abroad and want to transfer our timeshare to someone who can make use of it more than we can. It's completely paid off, so you'll basically be taking over the dues payments (which include the maintenance fees).

We pay $100/mo via EFT, but you can choose to pay lump sum once a year (due in January).

Our 2BD/2BA condo suite is in the TOWER bldg at The Ridge Tahoe (here's the map - it's near the Club House). It's a lock-off unit so you have flexibility in either splitting your week to use each separately (a one-bedroom suite with full kitchen, and a hotel-type suite with kitchenette) or using the entire unit which sleeps 4 (or 6, when using the sofa sleeper bed) for a full week.

Also, it's not tied to a particular week, so you can choose any week within the PRIME seasons (mid to end of December of the previous use year, and early Jan to mid-April and latter-May to latter-Sept of the current use year).

And if sometimes you want to vacation somewhere else in the U.S. or around the world instead, or maybe the only time you can take off for a Lake Tahoe vacation is in November (which isn't in the PRIME season at the home resort), then you can ...

DEPOSIT IT FOR EXCHANGE: Interval International told us this (in an email) ... "After the timeshare is sold and the deed is under the new owners name, you can call and change the name on the Interval International account. The new owners will be able to use the weeks on deposit if you have any at the time."

We currently have THREE deposits (each use expires in December of the years 2018, 2019, 2020) good for anywhere in the U.S. and around the world, and TWO certificates we earned (these have some limitations; for example, you have to choose from their list of states/countries/regions, and dates are 3 months out at a time).

For the three deposits, you don't have to use them only in December, you can pick ANY week in ANY month prior to the expiration dates. With some locations (like Hawaii and states/countries with limited selection of resorts to choose from) if it shows 'No availability', you can 'Place a Request' and when a resort becomes available, you'll get booked there. We've had that happen a few times when booking a last minute vacation to a Hawaii outer-island (Maui and the Big Island) to visit family/friends. In every instance, something always came available for our dates.

Here's Interval Int'l Resort Directory to see all the resorts around the world you can choose from.

Our Interval Int'l membership expires 1/12/2019. However, through our past experience, if you use a deposit week with a travel date later than the membership expiration date, they'll require you to renew your membership to cover the travel date's reservation period.

Here's Interval's membership and exchange fees (as of Dec. 2017).

Because of the prior exchange deposits, your reservation bookings at The Ridge Tahoe starts for year 2020, but includes the month of December 2019 (if any weeks are still available). Bookings are available 23 months out, so if you want to book from Summer on for 2020, you'll have to wait until those dates show on the calendar to select (ex: as of today, when I looked at the calendar, the last booking month I can select from is May 2020).

Visit The Ridge Tahoe website for photos and more info on amenities, etc.

Also watch this short video

TERMS: Buyer pays all closing costs through Legal Timeshare Transfers (the recommended service here on TUG). They quoted a closing fee estimate of $275.00. From their info and instructions it looks like a simple process (there's no escrow involved since no $$ will be exchanged), and everything can be done via email it seems (they gave me two short forms to fill out).

I hope we can transfer our timeshare to someone soon. It really deserves a family who can take annual vacations more than we could and also utilize a 2BD suite. Many times for us, the 2nd bedroom would go unused, which was such a waste! If you have 4 - 6 people in your party, or you can take split vacations to use each lock-off separately ... then this will be much better suited for you than for us.

Many thanks for stopping in here to check this out! Sorry this was so long. If you read this through to the end, I salute you! =D

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
How much is your remaining balance on the loan? How much is the 2017 maintenance fee?

We have no loan balance. The deed is free and clear. We only pay dues which include the maintenance fees. We pay $100 a month via EFT, so that would come to $1200 per year.

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
I can't seem to edit my first post, so I'll add here that ... I just emailed The Ridge Tahoe financial services department to make sure what year our dues is paid up to and here's what they wrote: "You have a credit on your account in the amount of 500.00 for pre-payment on your 2019 dues"

So currently, our dues is paid up to May 2019. Since we pay via EFT every 10th of the month, on June 10th we will be paid up until June 2019.

This offer is still available.

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
Hello! I have been receiving inquiries via private messages, so I wanted to post here to say, thank you for reaching out, but we currently have a buyer who has been sent the contract forms today.

I will post back here should they change their minds or the transfer of ownership completes. Either way, I'll give an update here as soon as I know.

Thank you again for the interest!

Liz M

Reaction score
Hi Leigh,

Just wondering if the contract went through. Am interested if available. :)

Thank you,
Liz

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
Hi Leigh,

Just wondering if the contract went through. Am interested if available. :)

Thank you,
Liz

Hi Liz,

Here's the status ...

Both parties have signed the contract, the buyer (or rather 'adopter' :)) has put down their deposit at LT Transfers for the closing costs, an estoppel request letter has been sent to The Ridge Tahoe, so now we're just waiting for the next step.

The buyer is a TUG member and it doesn't seem likely that they'll cancel at this point, but nothing is a done deal until it's a done deal since anything unforeseen can happen, so I will report back here once the transfer has either happened or fell through.

Good to know others are interested though, just in case. Thank you!

uptonhe

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was a wonderful ad. I live in Roseville and have been to the Ridge. Did the contract go through. If not please put me on the list! thx, Holly

Last edited by a moderator:

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
Hi Holly,

The transfer is still in the works, but it doesn't seem likely that there will be any problems. I'll report back when there's a definite answer.

Thanks!

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why is this resort in such demand? What's the draw...when annual maintenance fee is $1200? To me that's up with Marriott and other brand names, pricey if used primarily for trading.

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
Hi Carol,

Most are probably wanting to use the weeks at The Ridge Tahoe itself, I presume.

Here, do the following:
  1. Click on this link which will take you to the 'ROOMS & SUITE' page
  2. Then click on the 'Check Availability' button
  3. Select a 7-day week from the calendar (the prices on the calendar are what the prices start at, but depending on the room type, it will vary, which you'll see in the next steps
  4. Scroll down to 'The Ridge Tahoe Two Bedroom Condominium Suite' (which is what our timeshare unit is)
  5. You will already see the per day rate, but click on 'VIEW DETAILS' to see the total cost (which you can then get a better idea of what that week would cost at the regular rates)
Depending on which month & week you select from the calendar, you will see that the room rates range anywhere between about $250 - $400+ per night.

The Ridge Tahoe TOWER bldg, has spectacular views and is close to the Club House too.

Back in 1993 when we went to the timeshare presentation, my hubby and I made a pact that we weren't going to buy. Well, we were pretty much stickin' to that until the time came when our guy, Steve, took us up to see the sample suite. OMG, once we got our eyeful and especially the view, my hubby and I looked at each other and we knew then we were doomed to break that pact, lol.

The funny thing of it was, we had to move back to Hawaii shortly thereafter, and we just never booked vacation time at The Ridge. When we could make time for vacations, we ended up trading our weeks for neighbor-island trips (to Maui and the Big Island) to visit family and friends.

Probably for those who'd want to spend time at The Ridge Tahoe in a two-bedroom condo with spectacular views, it might seem more worth it since the regular rates are much higher than the dues.

And if they wanted to rent it, it might get a good price for that too (to cover the dues--but we've never done that, so I can't say for sure).

But you may be right about for those who are just going to trade it, then maybe not so much, unless it's traded for resorts with $200+/day room rates.

Last edited:

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
3. Select a 7-day week from the calendar ...

For some reason, I can't further edit my previous post, but I wanted to add to the above quote ... "pick a Saturday to Saturday (the 7-days should include check-in to check-out)"

Also, I missed a step: After step #3, you'll need to click on the 'CONFIRM DATES OF STAY' button (don't worry, you won't actually be booking; it'll just get you to the page with the individual rates for each room type)

Last edited:

LeighS

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe
UPDATE:

The new deed has been recorded and the only thing left is for The Ridge Tahoe resort to complete the ownership transfer on their end, so at this point, I would say this is a done deal.

CONGRATULATIONS to the new owners!

And thank you so much for all the interests here! Good luck to everyone looking to sell/give away or buy/adopt a timeshare! This is a GREAT forum! Take care!