• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

GL NV Tour

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Against my protestations my wife persuaded me to sign up for the sales tour this week. My usually approach is to wait for hell to freeze over but they mentioned we had been assigned a unit next to the construction unless we "upgraded" by taking the tour.....well...this 3BR suite is pretty spectacular so I expect we'll have to pay for it with some pain.

I will slide into the conversation that I have been on TUG for ten years and never bought a TS except on Ebay...any other advice others might be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG, well, that's what Vidanta does now.

anyway:

1) Be prepared for AT LEAST 4+ hours of harrassment. You'll probably get yelled at or at the least, "talked down to" if you say no. And you'll have to say "no" like 10+ times. (at least once the breakfast is over).

2) DON'T BUY. The deal can always be had later, no matter what they say. The issue is that they'll tell you one thing (and it's VERY VERY confusing, IMO), but the contract will say something completely different.

3) If you DO buy, you can negotiate that certain things be put in the contract (this is why two owners at Vidanta can have two very different results), but you HAVE to make sure it's in the contract addendum/in writing. DO NOT trust what they say. (And to be honest, it's NOT just Vidanta. HGVC does the same thing where the sales guy will say one thing, but the contract says otherwise.
Although nowhere near the degree that Vidanta does, IMO).

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I can say is good luck, and sorry for your loss of a day on vacation!!!! Figure you'll be there for hours, and don't ask questions or show any interest to prolong your tour. We saw many blurry eyed captives last week, and it appears nobody gets out without giving up most of the day to their captors!

I suppose if you really want to end the presentation lightning fast, you could eat breakfast and walk right into the office and sign a sales contract. But then you'd need to spend extra time getting the rescission paperwork in. ;) (JUST KIDDING!!)

BTW, we've never attended a presentation, and have been very happy with our two room assignments!

travs2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be STRONG! By the time it is over your head will be spinning! We also saw many bewildered captives when we were there in February. I felt particularly bad for a middle aged couple who clearly were uncomfortable with the whole situation .....
BUT the sales guys were oblivious to their pain. They both looked like they were going to be sick. I was sitting in the outside patio area at the very end of the Gran Mayan buildings. Let us know how you made out and don’t forget to mention TUG!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Against my protestations my wife persuaded me to sign up for the sales tour this week. ...any other advice others might be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Enjoy the breakfast - it really is very good .
Bring some pesos . A 100 peso bill to tip the coffee & juice server . This is both polite & shows that you are not a newbie .

The 90 minutes starts when you get to the sales room .
Vidanta has various sales teams.
1) owners
2) exchangers
3 ) exit packages - after you say NO , enough to buying the real thing, you get passed off to another salesperson .
Exit packages have no or very little ARP .

Bring your own paper & pen - take notes - don't ask a lot of questions .

Make sure you and your spouse speak the same story .
No - She says "I love Westgate Lakes where we own" and you say " yeah but the MF goes up all the time " - The sales team will say " trade it in and .....
THEY GOT YOU !!!

be polite & gracious .
Since the big carrot was the room location and that can't be removed , judge when it is time to leave the sales room based on your schedule .

Timeline :
9am - start breakfast - then a friendly tour of the property with the sales rep
10: 30 -11:00 am - get to sales room - 90 minutes start

1pm -( 2 hours ) " you have an important conference call at 1:30 and have to leave (or your boss will ....")
Be Polite & Firm .

Enjoy the rest of the day .

Last edited:

chalucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks...good advice.
I heard the best way to get out early is to bring a bawling baby with a full diaper...maybe I can borrow one?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
.... Actually it was interesting on how they are trying to position themselves to grab a bit of Disney's lunch.
Thanks for all the advice!

The " Theme Park " will be a success . (IMO)

About the time it opens: the toll road from Guadalajara to Nuevo is "scheduled" to finally open . It will cut the drive to 3 hours for the 5 million people who live there .
IMO - Vidanta's summer occupancy level will then increase with Mexican Nationals . I think it will also help them to become a destination for those with money in Central & South America .

We tend to think of Mexico for winter vacations . Vidanta NV/PV peak occupancy time is currently snowbird season. Their build strategy was to maximize from Christmas week to post Easter .
(Snowbird Season & the 4 Mexican Holiday Weeks)

The Park opening could adjust / balance the occupancy towards a full year round model. **
As a gringo on winter vacation I too might enjoy the theme park / but I don't think Vidanta's building it for my one day attendance .

**When this happens I am hoping I can rent out my Vacation Fare bonus week that has 6 month summer ARP for big bucks to Mexican Nationals : AND PROVE - that Mayan TS salespeople never tell lies ; ( " the truth just took a long time to occur ") >>> LOL

Last edited:

vantovidanta

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Mayan
amazing how many people want something for nothing. this is a business. it's a resort hotel. there is much operating costs. it costs money to stay there. it's not free.

complaining about paying $1000 per week is nonsense. Here in Vancouver it costs hundreds a day to stay at any hotel room and we don't even have anything considered a resort. they are called resorts but they really are not. it's just a hotel on a big property on a beach lol

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Bring some pesos . A 100 peso bill to tip the coffee & juice server . This is both polite & shows that you are not a newbie .

1) owners
2) exchangers
3 ) exit packages - after you say NO , enough to buying the real thing, you get passed off to another salesperson .

No - She says "I love Westgate Lakes where we own" and you say " yeah but the MF goes up all the time " - The sales team will say " trade it in and .....
THEY GOT YOU !!!

be polite & gracious .
Since the big carrot was the room location and that can't be removed , judge when it is time to leave the sales room based on your schedule .

Timeline :

1pm -( 2 hours ) " you have an important conference call at 1:30 and have to leave (or your boss will ....")
Be Polite & Firm .

At breakfast I'll let the sales person to leave the tip and he or she will tip well. The entire breakfast is a part of the gift. I'm paying nothing.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
At breakfast I'll let the sales person to leave the tip and he or she will tip well. The entire breakfast is a part of the gift. I'm paying nothing.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

Hi Pianoetudes ,
Tipping or not tipping is totally your call .

I picked up on the salesperson tipping the staff during our 2nd or 3rd presentation .
I don’ t like “owing the salesperson “ so I started bringing cash pesos .

I simply wanted to give a heads up to a fellow TUG member going to a Vidanta presentation .

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

1) owners
2) exchangers

THEY GOT YOU !!!

be polite & gracious .

Timeline :

Be Polite & Firm .

I do not understand why the victim needs to tip to show they are not a newbie. At this point, who cares. If you are going for freebies, then technically you have your mind made up already. Makes more sense to let the TS salesperson tip for you since they are the ones harassing you.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I do not understand why the victim needs to tip to show they are not a newbie. At this point, who cares. If you are going for freebies, then technically you have your mind made up already. Makes more sense to let the TS salesperson tip for you since they are the ones harassing you.
Sort of like getting a little extra something for your trouble.

In our 4 presentations (we've been to Vidanta resorts 6 times) the initial salesman has always been polite, both at breakfast and the negotiation table. The jerks are #2 and/or #3. Then it's back to someone polite for the exit package.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Sort of like getting a little extra something for your trouble.

In our 4 presentations (we've been to Vidanta resorts 6 times) the initial salesman has always been polite, both at breakfast and the negotiation table. The jerks are #2 and/or #3. Then it's back to someone polite for the exit package.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

I assume that is part of the structure and is not accidental .
The goal is to increase the yield from the crop they are harvesting .