TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

GL NV Tour

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by chalucky, Apr 16, 2018.

1. chalucky

chalucky TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Against my protestations my wife persuaded me to sign up for the sales tour this week. My usually approach is to wait for hell to freeze over but they mentioned we had been assigned a unit next to the construction unless we "upgraded" by taking the tour.....well...this 3BR suite is pretty spectacular so I expect we'll have to pay for it with some pain.

I will slide into the conversation that I have been on TUG for ten years and never bought a TS except on Ebay...any other advice others might be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

2. hurnik

hurnik TUG Member

OMG, well, that's what Vidanta does now.

anyway:

1) Be prepared for AT LEAST 4+ hours of harrassment. You'll probably get yelled at or at the least, "talked down to" if you say no. And you'll have to say "no" like 10+ times. (at least once the breakfast is over).

2) DON'T BUY. The deal can always be had later, no matter what they say. The issue is that they'll tell you one thing (and it's VERY VERY confusing, IMO), but the contract will say something completely different.

3) If you DO buy, you can negotiate that certain things be put in the contract (this is why two owners at Vidanta can have two very different results), but you HAVE to make sure it's in the contract addendum/in writing. DO NOT trust what they say. (And to be honest, it's NOT just Vidanta. HGVC does the same thing where the sales guy will say one thing, but the contract says otherwise.
    Although nowhere near the degree that Vidanta does, IMO).

3. chalucky

Thanks for info....Of course I won't buy. Just trying to mitigate the pain....

4. PamMo

PamMo TUG Member

All I can say is good luck, and sorry for your loss of a day on vacation!!!! Figure you'll be there for hours, and don't ask questions or show any interest to prolong your tour. We saw many blurry eyed captives last week, and it appears nobody gets out without giving up most of the day to their captors!

I suppose if you really want to end the presentation lightning fast, you could eat breakfast and walk right into the office and sign a sales contract. But then you'd need to spend extra time getting the rescission paperwork in. ;) (JUST KIDDING!!)

BTW, we've never attended a presentation, and have been very happy with our two room assignments!

5. travs2

travs2 TUG Member

Be STRONG! By the time it is over your head will be spinning! We also saw many bewildered captives when we were there in February. I felt particularly bad for a middle aged couple who clearly were uncomfortable with the whole situation .....
    BUT the sales guys were oblivious to their pain. They both looked like they were going to be sick. I was sitting in the outside patio area at the very end of the Gran Mayan buildings. Let us know how you made out and don’t forget to mention TUG!

6. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    Enjoy the breakfast - it really is very good .
    Bring some pesos . A 100 peso bill to tip the coffee & juice server . This is both polite & shows that you are not a newbie .

The 90 minutes starts when you get to the sales room .
    Vidanta has various sales teams.
    1) owners
    2) exchangers
    3 ) exit packages - after you say NO , enough to buying the real thing, you get passed off to another salesperson .
    Exit packages have no or very little ARP .

Bring your own paper & pen - take notes - don't ask a lot of questions .

Make sure you and your spouse speak the same story .
    No - She says "I love Westgate Lakes where we own" and you say " yeah but the MF goes up all the time " - The sales team will say " trade it in and .....
    THEY GOT YOU !!!

be polite & gracious .
    Since the big carrot was the room location and that can't be removed , judge when it is time to leave the sales room based on your schedule .

Timeline :
    9am - start breakfast - then a friendly tour of the property with the sales rep
    10: 30 -11:00 am - get to sales room - 90 minutes start

1pm -( 2 hours ) " you have an important conference call at 1:30 and have to leave (or your boss will ....")
    Be Polite & Firm .

Enjoy the rest of the day .

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. chalucky

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. chalucky

Thanks...good advice.
    I heard the best way to get out early is to bring a bawling baby with a full diaper...maybe I can borrow one?

9. chalucky

Also good reminder not to ask any questions...thanks

10. chalucky

The presentation....done at 12:30..didn't push too too hard. Actually it was interesting on how they are trying to position themselves to grab a bit of Disney's lunch.
    Thanks for all the advice!

T-Dot-Traveller, Eric B and PamMo like this.
  11. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    The " Theme Park " will be a success . (IMO)

About the time it opens: the toll road from Guadalajara to Nuevo is "scheduled" to finally open . It will cut the drive to 3 hours for the 5 million people who live there .
    IMO - Vidanta's summer occupancy level will then increase with Mexican Nationals . I think it will also help them to become a destination for those with money in Central & South America .

We tend to think of Mexico for winter vacations . Vidanta NV/PV peak occupancy time is currently snowbird season. Their build strategy was to maximize from Christmas week to post Easter .
    (Snowbird Season & the 4 Mexican Holiday Weeks)

The Park opening could adjust / balance the occupancy towards a full year round model. **
    As a gringo on winter vacation I too might enjoy the theme park / but I don't think Vidanta's building it for my one day attendance .

**When this happens I am hoping I can rent out my Vacation Fare bonus week that has 6 month summer ARP for big bucks to Mexican Nationals : AND PROVE - that Mayan TS salespeople never tell lies ; ( " the truth just took a long time to occur ") >>> LOL

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018 at 10:01 PM
    Eric B likes this.
  12. vantovidanta

vantovidanta Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    amazing how many people want something for nothing. this is a business. it's a resort hotel. there is much operating costs. it costs money to stay there. it's not free.

complaining about paying $1000 per week is nonsense. Here in Vancouver it costs hundreds a day to stay at any hotel room and we don't even have anything considered a resort. they are called resorts but they really are not. it's just a hotel on a big property on a beach lol