• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good deal? Looking to buy

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I saw that. I would ask the question in the Wyndham forum. That’s how I found out what to purchase in Vistana.

geerlijd

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shanty Creek Vacation Club
WorldMark
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Canterbury
Wynhdam South Shore
Canterbury maintenance fees are among the lowest you can get, but this is a lot of money for the ownership. I wouldn't pay more than $.01/pt for this, or $2590. Keep looking and you will find a deal.on Canterbury or Bali Hai in that price range. The next few months prices may rise, but they will likely drop on the fall.

I also don't see any reviews of this seller on TUG. I wouldn't wager more than a few hundred dollars on a purchase from a seller without some good reviews since eBay reviews are worthless for Timeshare sellers.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Look at the Tug Marketplace and the bargain board.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too pricy.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can purchase Grand Desert deeds From $50-$300 price includes closing and resort transfer fee. I purchased a 168,000 even year National Harbor deed last month for $50 purchase price included closing and resort transfer fee.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can somebody help us out and tell us if this is a good deal? We are seriously looking to buy but in no rush to do so. If this is a good deal though we might consider it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wyndham-Ca...829174?hash=item2f307afbf6:g:4jAAAOSwgjFc12pR
Thanks,
Lisbeth
A Bali Hai 427,000 point contract recently sold for $8,400 on eBay almost $20 per 1,000 points.
The starting bid on the 259,000 Canterbury contract is $4,000 all in about $15.44 per 1,000 points.
If you get it for around the starting bid I would say it’s just an OK deal.
The younger you are & in good health the more sense it makes to pay a little more upfront.
Initial cost is a one time cost, MFs cost are every year for as long as you own the contract.

LT Transfer is handling the transfer so it wouldn’t bother me if the seller has never sold a timeshare before. LT Transfer will have it done right & as quick as anybody. LT Transfer is highly recommended here on TUG

Good Luck

Panbad

Reaction score
It looks like that EBAY sale is the same person trying to sell it on the TUG marketplace. On TUG they have it listed as $5180 as a FIRM price, which is the "buy now" price on EBAY.

Just doing some math - if you could get that Canterbury points for the bid price of $3450 - that's $13.32 per 1,000. AND that's not including the $299 transfer fee + $250 LT closing fee which would put your closing price of close to $4,000. Maintenance fees per year on Canterbury for this unit appear to be $1080.03 ($90/Mo) - or $4.17 per 1,000 pts.

There's another sale on EBAY for 259,000 Wyndham points (just for "apples to apples" comparison on the same exact amount of points) that has a starting bid price of $299 and all fees are paid by the seller. Let's say this sells for $1,000 (which is probably very likely to be that or under). The maintenance fees on that one are $1392 ($116/Mo) - or $5.37 per 1,000 points.

The purchase price difference in this scenario is $3,000. How long would it take you to break even on that $3,000?

Based on my calculation (based on 5% increase per year for MF for both properties), it would take about 8 years on MF's to make up that $3000.

YR Canterbury Oceanside Pier Yearly Difference Cumulative difference
1 $ 1,080.03 $ 1,392.00 $ 311.97 $ 311.97
2 $ 1,134.03 $ 1,461.60 $ 327.57 $ 639.54
3 $ 1,190.73 $ 1,534.68 $ 343.95 $ 983.49
4 $ 1,250.27 $ 1,611.41 $ 361.14 $ 1,344.63
5 $ 1,312.78 $ 1,691.98 $ 379.20 $ 1,723.83
6 $ 1,378.42 $ 1,776.58 $ 398.16 $ 2,121.99
7 $ 1,447.34 $ 1,865.41 $ 418.07 $ 2,540.06
8 $ 1,519.71 $ 1,958.68 $ 438.97 $ 2,979.04

If you paid the "buy it now" price your total would be $5729 (adding in closing costs) and that would take over 13 years to recover that amount.

Like someone said above, if you hold this for a long period of time it may be worth it for you. But there's no guarantee that Canterbury will continue to have the lowers MF's for the future. They could grow in MF's higher than any other resort for a few years in a row.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
San Francisco sits on a fault line so purchasing Canterbury is a gamble. Insurance isn't going to cover squat when, and I mean when, California's coastline falls into the ocean or the Bay Area is devastated. Your loss wouldn't be much compared to those who purchased directly from Wyndham. Just think of the special assessment bill you'll receive if something happens.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent from a VIP cheaper then owning.
You give this same advice every time. I’d say pretty narrow minded & a narrow view of some ones decision to be an owner. Some people would rather own than rent, maybe you should be more open to others decisions and help answer the question asked. Instead of a rebuttal to their personal decision

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can purchase Grand Desert deeds From $50-$300 price includes closing and resort transfer fee. I purchased a 168,000 even year National Harbor deed last month for $50 purchase price included closing and resort transfer fee.

Renting from a VIP is cheaper then paying maintenance fees even if you are buying at these prices.Most deeds are sold for pennies on the dollar.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
The 105,000 additional points we just bought are deeded at Wyndham Grand Desert (lower fees - ya hoo). We will have a new total of 386,000 points per year. We did have 281,000 points and with the additional 105,000 we will get 2 more reservation transactions per year (you get 1 per 77,000 points you own). We bought from Sumday. If you see something you like with them, email them an offer.

Our first Wyndham purchase was 154,000 at Wyndham Smoky Mountains Sevierville TN. Not the lowest fees, but not bad.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rent from a VIP cheaper then owning.
Renting from a VIP is cheaper then paying maintenance fees.
These are false statements.
You don’t even ask the OPs where & when they travel.
How many bedrooms they need.
Are they tied to a school schedule.

Or do you think you can find a VIP that will always rent at a loss?

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Some times but not always it can be cheaper to rent from a platinum VIP owner. However as Braindead brought up there are definitely considerations that impact prices and the amount of inventory available when you are dependent on someone else. Owners who have experience in renting typically get contacted by people desperately looking for stays because the owner they used to rent from isn't around anymore, isn't responding, doesn't have what they need this time, etc. Owing gives you more control over getting the reservations you need than renting does. Some people who had previously been renters became owners for that very reason.

For people whose jobs and finances aren't secure enough for them to have any business taking on a timeshare and the associated maintenance fees renting would be the better choice. But not necessarily the cheaper choice. There are a number of reasons for the decision to rent or to own. Also why there are so many posts asking that question. One size doesn't fit all.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
These are false statements.
You don’t even ask the OPs where & when they travel.
How many bedrooms they need.
Are they tied to a school schedule.

Or do you think you can find a VIP that will always rent at a loss?
BD,
My experience its cheaper to rent from a vip then using my points. Its a option that should be looked at instead of buying or worse yet buying developer points to become Platinum or some other name Wyndham comes up with for status. Rember what status is as 55PLUS posted.

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some times but not always it can be cheaper to rent from a platinum VIP owner. However as Braindead brought up there are definitely considerations that impact prices and the amount of inventory available when you are dependent on someone else. Owners who have experience in renting typically get contacted by people desperately looking for stays because the owner they used to rent from isn't around anymore, isn't responding, doesn't have what they need this time, etc. Owing gives you more control over getting the reservations you need than renting does. Some people who had previously been renters became owners for that very reason.

For people whose jobs and finances aren't secure enough for them to have any business taking on a timeshare and the associated maintenance fees renting would be the better choice. But not necessarily the cheaper choice. There are a number of reasons for the decision to rent or to own. Also why there are so many posts asking that question. One size doesn't fit all.
All good points Jan Yes I agree on this. Many experienced owners can rent from a VIP cheaper then paying Maintenance fees. May not be able to at 13 months out but almost always at 60 days out or less. I currently own and rented many times from PR VIP at a lot less then I could book for with my points. Not to mention PR VIP has availability that is not available to me.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
All good points Jan Yes I agree on this. Many experienced owners can rent from a VIP cheaper then paying Maintenance fees. May not be able to at 13 months out but almost always at 60 days out or less. I currently own and rented many times from PR VIP at a lot less then I could book for with my points. Not to mention PR VIP has availability that is not available to me.

Effectively “renting” someone’s VIP discount has a lot variables involved and is very dependent on availability. So a good strategy if you find the right partner, but much more challenging if you are looking for anything other than off-season/shoulder weeks.