• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good Grief Goodwill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I got a postcard in the mail. Goodwill is going to offer a rewards card. Exclusive sale when you sign up! I am somewhat disillusioned with this store. Free inventory for them, and jobs for clerks and warehouse folk, yes. But the big money seems to be at the corporate level. I do stop in, especially when looking for clothes for grandkids. But our local store has raised prices significantly, and now takes no returns for any reason.
It is out of the way to go to the Salvation Army store to make donations, but that is my preference these days. They at least have programs to give back to the community and help others.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I got a postcard in the mail. Goodwill is going to offer a rewards card. Exclusive sale when you sign up! I am somewhat disillusioned with this store. Free inventory for them, and jobs for clerks and warehouse folk, yes. But the big money seems to be at the corporate level. I do stop in, especially when looking for clothes for grandkids. But our local store has raised prices significantly, and now takes no returns for any reason.
It is out of the way to go to the Salvation Army store to make donations, but that is my preference these days. They at least have programs to give back to the community and help others.

Many areas offered the rewards card before, many did not.

Depending which regional area your store is in, the prices can vary significantly. Sometimes they are so high going retail is cheaper.

If you are a person who loves the find, there are some great ones to find. I purchased a Tiffany 18 k necklace for $99 and got a brand new watch that retails for $300 for $29.

There is also a Goodwill online auction sight that I have gotten great prices on Disney Collectables.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I don't donate to the Salvation Army for personal reasons. I honestly didn't know until recently that Goodwill is a for profit organization. We tend to donate to Habitat for Humanity (the things they will take). I need to find another outlet for clothing and the things Habitat won't take.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't donate to the Salvation Army for personal reasons. I honestly didn't know until recently that Goodwill is a for profit organization. We tend to donate to Habitat for Humanity (the things they will take). I need to find another outlet for clothing and the things Habitat won't take.

Goodwill is a non profit, Wikipedia also says that. This is from Goodwills site.

http://www.goodwill.org/uncategorized/think-before-you-donate-and-get-the-facts-about-email-rumors/

Goodwill® has a more than 116 year track record in providing services that meet critical human needs in local communities in the U.S., Canada, and 13 other countries. Goodwill is a leading social services enterprise, and is the #1 brand according to the World Brand Value Index. Goodwill is also proud to be recognized by GuideStar with its Platinum Seal of Approval, the highest rating for nonprofit organizations.

Because we are widely known and respected as a network of nonprofits that create employment placement, job training and education services through the sales of donated items in Goodwill stores; we sometimes stand in the line of fire from individuals and organizations who are misinformed and/or misrepresent us to the public.

This negative rumor mill continually resurfaces in the form of a now more than ten-year-old email that includes a variation of a message like this: “Think about these before you donate. As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep these facts in mind…”

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Goodwill is a non profit, Wikipedia also says that. This is from Goodwills site.

http://www.goodwill.org/uncategorized/think-before-you-donate-and-get-the-facts-about-email-rumors/

Goodwill® has a more than 116 year track record in providing services that meet critical human needs in local communities in the U.S., Canada, and 13 other countries. Goodwill is a leading social services enterprise, and is the #1 brand according to the World Brand Value Index. Goodwill is also proud to be recognized by GuideStar with its Platinum Seal of Approval, the highest rating for nonprofit organizations.

Because we are widely known and respected as a network of nonprofits that create employment placement, job training and education services through the sales of donated items in Goodwill stores; we sometimes stand in the line of fire from individuals and organizations who are misinformed and/or misrepresent us to the public.

This negative rumor mill continually resurfaces in the form of a now more than ten-year-old email that includes a variation of a message like this: “Think about these before you donate. As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep these facts in mind…”
Thanks. I can't remember where I heard that Goodwill was a for profit.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. I can't remember where I heard that Goodwill was a for profit.
It was all over, false info years ago and just keeps popping up. Just shows how fake news can spread and cycle.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Check Snopes.com for an update on the old email.

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is often a misconception that non-profit means good, for profit means bad. There is not a difference other than there is no shareholder(s) in the case of a non-profit. Typically, the folks who start the non-profit include the CEO and other top rank management and pay themselves as much as the company makes in salaries. While they need to have a board of trustees, it still does not mean anything. Many of the top non-profit companies pay the CEO millions of dollars, because while there is no shareholder to pay the profit, all gains go back as salaries. It is not very different in the case of Goodwill.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It is often a misconception that non-profit means good, for profit means bad. There is not a difference other than there is no shareholder(s) in the case of a non-profit.

The National Football League is a non-profit organization. :eek:

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is often a misconception that non-profit means good, for profit means bad. There is not a difference other than there is no shareholder(s) in the case of a non-profit. Typically, the folks who start the non-profit include the CEO and other top rank management and pay themselves as much as the company makes in salaries. While they need to have a board of trustees, it still does not mean anything. Many of the top non-profit companies pay the CEO millions of dollars, because while there is no shareholder to pay the profit, all gains go back as salaries. It is not very different in the case of Goodwill.
Every company has to make a profit sometime or it won't last. It is just where that profit goes that defines a non-profit vs for profit.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score

I do not donate to Goodwill very, very personal reason. I was once asked to do a salary study for a local Goodwill store and I could not believe how much that one person was paid + benefits in the 1990's.

rleigh

Reaction score
Check Snopes.com for an update on the old email.

Dave

Snopes was reliable the first few years but they went through a change and have been almost comically off the last few years.

Unfortunately the good reputation they rightfully earned in the beginning is hanging on and probably will for a long time.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Many areas offered the rewards card before, many did not.

Depending which regional area your store is in, the prices can vary significantly. Sometimes they are so high going retail is cheaper.

If you are a person who loves the find, there are some great ones to find. I purchased a Tiffany 18 k necklace for $99 and got a brand new watch that retails for $300 for $29.

There is also a Goodwill online auction sight that I have gotten great prices on Disney Collectables.

I guess it makes sense that GW has an online store. Did not know that. Thanks for bringing it up.

One thing about GW is they do hire many people that could not get a job anywhere else because of their mental or physical health. GW does try to train these people to actually work for regular companies.

In my county, many of these people do move on to other jobs after their training from GW. I think it is partly because of the tax breaks employers get for hiring disabled people.

Bill

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Snopes was reliable the first few years but they went through a change and have been almost comically off the last few years.
Unfortunately the good reputation they rightfully earned in the beginning is hanging on and probably will for a long time.

Snopes is now "comically off" ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snopes.com

but I suppose in this 'fake news' age everybody has their own preferred fact checking "news" site

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I've been using eBay to downsize my "stuff" for the last six years. When the topic of thrift stores comes up on the Selling forum there are quite a few Goodwill bashers. The main issue seems to be the salaries that are paid to the higher ups, along with not hiring the disabled (and in one case getting rid of disabled workers that had been working for years). And of course the prices have gotten so high there isn't any meat left on the bone for folks to buy at Goodwill and then sell on eBay at a profit.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just taken aback they are going the rewards card route. I have too many as it is, and will not be getting one here.