• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Good II Trader

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
Hello! I own a couple weeks with HGVC, but I am thinking about another timeshare to our portfolio that trades well in Interval International (BTW, what qualifies as a good trader???) We primarily use our HGVC points for vacays in Hawaii, but they don’t have a location on Maui so it’d be great to get something that does trade into nicer resorts on Maui and other places HGVC isn’t (I can travel in the fall, so availability is more likely for trades from what I have read).

I was thinking of adding either Starwood or Marriott, but I am open to other options. What would be a good low buy-in, hopefully manageable/lower MF timeshare to purchase? It would be nice if it is at a resort we’d actually like to stay in, but it is also okay if we primarily use it to trade via II.

Also, are trades via Interval International pretty easy to come by? I have such a difficult time with RCI... or maybe that’s just because their selection of nicer resorts are severely lacking. We do appreciate nicer accommodations after staying with HGVC, Hyatt Residence Club and the Westin properties. Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello! I own a couple weeks with HGVC, but I am thinking about another timeshare to our portfolio that trades well in Interval International (BTW, what qualifies as a good trader???) We primarily use our HGVC points for vacays in Hawaii, but they don’t have a location on Maui so it’d be great to get something that does trade into nicer resorts on Maui and other places HGVC isn’t (I can travel in the fall, so availability is more likely for trades from what I have read).

I was thinking of adding either Starwood or Marriott, but I am open to other options. What would be a good low buy-in, hopefully manageable/lower MF timeshare to purchase? It would be nice if it is at a resort we’d actually like to stay in, but it is also okay if we primarily use it to trade via II.

Also, are trades via Interval International pretty easy to come by? I have such a difficult time with RCI... or maybe that’s just because their selection of nicer resorts are severely lacking. We do appreciate nicer accommodations after staying with HGVC, Hyatt Residence Club and the Westin properties. Thanks in advance for your advice! :)
Ianneyan,
A lot depends on your tolerance for playing the waiting game with II and your ability to place a request in a year in advance or earlier. We purchased a 2-BR L/O at Marriott's Grand Chateau in Las Vegas for trading purposes. Because it's a Marriott, we like having the Marriott priority for Marriott requests. Also, there are more Marriott's than Westins from which to choose in Hawaii. We've been successful every year with our requests for Hawaii, although sometimes we have to wait a little longer for the larger units (summer and fall).

That being said, we also purchased a Platinum 2-BR L/O at Westin's Kierland Villas for the ease of trading internally within the Vistana system. We've been successful in renting out the larger 1-BR villa, so that pays for our MFs each year. Many years ago, we purchased resale at WKORV because we like to go every year, so we use the remaining StarOptions to add days to our visits to Maui, or for reservations for friends or family to go to Maui. Hope this information is of some help to you. Happy travels to you and your family! CJ

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
I own in Vistana network, so I only know those.

Both Sheraton Desert Oasis (Scottsdale) and Sheraton Broadway Plantation (Myrtle Beach) are known as the low cost traders in II. Both have low maintenance fees, have good trade power in II and can be purchased for close to nothing. Also, both are nice properties to stay at as well.
SDO may be more convenient for you since you are on the West Coast
I acquired a SBP week for free, and have already used it in II to trade into a nice Marriott property.

There are more Marriott than Vistana properties, so it may be better to buy a Marriott, so you have that preference in II (plus exchange cost of $144 vs. $199)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own in Vistana network, so I only know those.

Both Sheraton Desert Oasis (Scottsdale) and Sheraton Broadway Plantation (Myrtle Beach) are known as the low cost traders in II. Both have low maintenance fees, have good trade power in II and can be purchased for close to nothing. Also, both are nice properties to stay at as well.
SDO may be more convenient for you since you are on the West Coast
I acquired a SBP week for free, and have already used it in II to trade into a nice Marriott property.

There are more Marriott than Vistana properties, so it may be better to buy a Marriott, so you have that preference in II (plus exchange cost of $144 vs. $199)

Unfortunately i think that most Marriotts have ROFR so the initial costs will be different than both Sheraton Desert Oasis (Scottsdale) and Sheraton Broadway Plantation (Myrtle Beach). I also believe that because Marriott now owns Interval International and the Vistana brands, we may see in the future a priority in II across all the brands that they own.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

With a good trader you can get good trades.

This coming year I have traded with II and going to
South Seas Club/South Seas Resort Captiva Island, FL 2br prime winter week
Marriott’s OceanWatch Villa’s@Grand Dunes Myrtle Beach, SC 2 br spring week
The Residences at 84 Main, Kenneport Mn 3 br penthouse late spring weeks
Marriott’s Crystal Shore Marco Island, FL 3 br late December

The last two years I have traded with II and went to
Galleon Resort Key West FL 2 br January
Hgvc affiliate Seawatch on the Beach Fort Myers, FL 2 br late December
Marriott’s Grand Vista Orlando, FL 2 br New Years week & mid February
Hgvc affiliate Tortuga Beach Club Sanibel , Fl 2 br mid November
Hyatt Coconut Plantation Bonita Springs, FL 2 br late January
Hyatt Beach House Key West, FL 2 br late January
Marriott’s Barony Beach Myrtle Beach, SC 2 br Thanksgiving week

These were all traded using non system timeshares. Timeshares that are self managed.

To me what constitutes a good trader, what I own is a good starting point, listed on my profile. A two bedroom will always give you more pull to bump someone else but I traded for many of these with my one bedrooms which have a TDI of at least 125.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="
To me what constitutes a good trader, what I own is a good starting point, listed on my profile. A two bedroom will always give you more pull to bump someone else but I traded for many of these with my one bedrooms which have a TDI of at least 125.[/QUOTE]
how do you know the TDI of your resorts in Interval?

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased an EOY Sheraton Desert Oasis Gold and it is a great trader. It gets a Sheraton preference. (sees the best Sheraton Westin properties first). Just booked a Westin Kierland Villas winter week. II definitely has more upscale properties than RCI.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[QUOTE="
To me what constitutes a good trader, what I own is a good starting point, listed on my profile. A two bedroom will always give you more pull to bump someone else but I traded for many of these with my one bedrooms which have a TDI of at least 125.
how do you know the TDI of your resorts in Interval?[/QUOTE]
When you look up the resort in the resort directory there is a line to the right that says Travel Demand Index, select it and it will open the chart.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I own a couple of weeks at Tree Tops Resort in Gatlinburg that have always traded very well with II. Most of the owners use the weeks, so II always seems pleased to get what they can. I have been giving them to RCI for the last few years, so I don't have any recent experience, but it seems that there is more of a shortage of availability than ever in and around Gatlinburg as resorts recover from the wildfires. They aren't Marriotts, but they are well managed and have low maintenance fees that only go up about $5 a year. Since the resort is being almost completely rebuilt after much of it was destroyed, they may be closer to Marriott quality than ever. And they pulled it off with no special assessment and no loss of use. Pretty remarkable!

Sheila

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
That number in II, like TDI 125 etc, is not trade power. It's just a number of the area. All resorts in the same area are under the same TDI number, regardless of quality or trade power.

There is no way to know any quantified trade power for a resort.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
That number in II, like TDI 125 etc, is not trade power. It's just a number of the area. All resorts in the same area are under the same TDI number, regardless of quality or trade power.

There is no way to know any quantified trade power for a resort.

Nope. You are confusing the number of the table that indicates geographic location with the values assigned to the specific weeks. I have no idea what geographic area has Table # 125. However, each table, once opened rates each week from a range of 50 to 150. If you choose a week that has a rating of 125 or above, you should have excellent trading power. Noted, this is a geographic detail and will adjust somewhat for specific resort based on quality and preference, but the main issue is location and timing. So, as an example, if the OP wanted a Sheraton Desert Oasis week, looking at the TDI table shows that the weeks associated with snowbird timing rate in the 125 range and should provide better trade power than summer weeks (not surprising). Note that the TDI table number is 8 and that number is irrelevant.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Yes, I was talking about the TDI table number which is irrelevant. However, the TDI rating for a specific week at that table is also not a trade power. It just shows seasonal demand in the area. This number would be the same for all resorts in the area, regardless of quality.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I was talking about the TDI table number which is irrelevant. However, the TDI rating for a specific week at that table is also not a trade power. It just shows seasonal demand in the area. This number would be the same for all resorts in the area, regardless of quality.
Right, quality matters too. If you have the highest tdi week and lowest quality resort, it won’t have great trades. You need a combo of high tdi, higer quality resort and high demand area to have great trades and the larger the unit the better.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Keep in mind as an trader, you have to be willing to take whatever is deposited (whatever resort, unit sizes and/or dates that become available). Expect high owner occupancy at high demand resort and/or destinations especially during peak travel season (that's why most of these owners bought there). Having the flexibility to pick and choose where you want to stay and when you want to stay is an owner benefit. For high demand destinations and/or resorts, traders must compete to get whatever is leftover (vs selecting their desired weeks/days).

Vistana/Starwood, Marriott, Four Seasons and others have a priority preference booking window within Interval International. This allows all sister resorts priority booking access to all exchange deposits made from their family of resorts. The II preference booking window lasts for a number of weeks. During this II priority booking window, the most desirable travel dates and/or unit sizes are generally taken before the leftovers are released to the general public for exchanges.

Examples

JMHO...based on this thread and your other thread.

If you’re looking to trade into a two bedroom on Maui with a quality level of the hotel based timeshares, I would opt for a two bedroom at a mandatory Vistana/Starwood resort. The only two bedrooms that are regularly reported on the TUG Sightings forum (link) are the Westin resorts on Maui.

I own Vistana mandatory resorts for StarOptions. Similar to HGVC, during the Club reservation window (for Vistana it’s 8 months before arrival), you’ll have the flexibility to use your StarOption to check-in any day of the week for any number of days along with the banking and borrowing option within their family of resorts(link). This flexibility allows me to coordinate back to back Hawaii stays with HGVC (for Oahu & Big Island) and Starwood (for Maui & Kauai). Starwood Vacation Network (SVN) works for me since I can travel anytime during the year but I've also accepted that I've sacrifice my chances for a guarantee ocean view as a non-home resort owner. When I need a two bedroom in Maui I can either deposit my week for an exchange into a two bedroom (if I have date flexibility) or use StarOptions (when deposits are lower than normal or when I need a specific date range).
NOTE: Interval International (II) seems to give more trading power to large size units vs smaller sizes.

Here are some other threads you might find helpful.
- https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-to-the-club.268543/
- https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/beyond-hgvc-what-system-is-best-for-hawaii.247387/