• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Reviews

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Has anyone stayed at Grand Islander yet or toured the property? If so, what did you think of it? Does anyone know the location of various room types in the building(ie. mountain view, etc.)

I know it is new and only recently opened so there is a real absence of any meaningful reviews on it.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Grand Islander just opened this month.

There is one review on TripAdvisor - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...ton_Grand_Vacations-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

GregT posted an attachment with the location of room types
http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/gi_point_chart_and_floor_plans-pdf.1889/

It was in this thread - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...lander-by-hilton-grand-vacations-club.220477/

Grand Islander first guests - posted six days ago

You are awesome! Thank you so much!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
You're welcome :hi:

ClearStone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will be there for a few days starting 4/17 - I'll be sure to share then.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Oh that's terrific! Thanks!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
We also have a two bedroom resort view reserved in May (5/13 check-in). We're hoping to get a high floor.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
We also have a two bedroom resort view reserved in May (5/13 check-in). We're hoping to get a high floor.

What unit type did you reserve? I was actually thinking of looking for a unit here but there is very little on the resale market because it is too new. The only thing I could find was a mountain view, every other year. I was concerned about noise on the lanai due to traffic from Ala Moana. I'm afraid it would be deafening and ruin the lanai experience.

Would you know where the parking is for Kalia Tower? Is it a long walk if you self-park? I can't figure out from the resort map where you park for this tower.

That's exciting you will be there in May! We're not going until 2018 so I'm trying to find something that works for my husband's situation this year.

JackieC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
What unit type did you reserve? I was actually thinking of looking for a unit here but there is very little on the resale market because it is too new. The only thing I could find was a mountain view, every other year. I was concerned about noise on the lanai due to traffic from Ala Moana. I'm afraid it would be deafening and ruin the lanai experience.

Would you know where the parking is for Kalia Tower? Is it a long walk if you self-park? I can't figure out from the resort map where you park for this tower.

That's exciting you will be there in May! We're not going until 2018 so I'm trying to find something that works for my husband's situation this year.
Staying there April 2 in a 2 bedroom ocean front. I saw the location of the building when there in February. It is right next to the Hale Koa resort and is not on Ala Moana. It's where the pickup area for the tours used to be, close to the Tapa Tower.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
At the Grand Islander, I reserved a 2 Bedroom Plus Resort View (2BD).
The room types can be found here - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.c...rand-islander-by-hilton-grand-vacations-club/

Grand Islander Resale prices will be closer to developer pricing for the next two years or so. It will also be higher than the resale prices at the Grand Waikikian.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village parking garage is under the Conference Center. There's also a parking garage entrance right across from the Kalia Tower check-in area. The parking entrance near the Kalia Tower is the first right as you enter Rainbow drive off of Kalia Road (see images & video below).

I actually have rooms in both Kalia and the Grand Islander for this trip. I normally use my points for extended family trips. My father will be traveling with us again. He'll be 84 at the end of June. He came with us during our last trip to HHV for our milestone birthday celebration in 2014. My extended family loves Oahu and all of the conveniences that come with a major city (paved sidewalks, public transportation, lots of dining, shopping and entertainment options). Dad is definitely slowing down but he can still get around on his own.

HHVmap.jpg

Hilton-Hawaiian-Village-MP-2.jpg

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
At the Grand Islander, I reserved a 2 Bedroom Plus Resort View (2BD).
The room types can be found here - https://club.hiltongrandvacations.c...rand-islander-by-hilton-grand-vacations-club/

Grand Islander Resale prices will be closer to developer pricing for the next two years or so. It will also be higher than the resale prices at the Grand Waikikian.

The Hilton Hawaiian Village parking garage is under the Conference Center. There's also a parking garage entrance right across from the Kalia Tower check-in area. The parking entrance near the Kalia Tower is the first right as you enter Rainbow drive off of Kalia Road (see images & video below).

I actually have rooms in both Kalia and the Grand Islander for this trip. I normally use my points for extended family trips. My father will be traveling with us again. He'll be 84 at the end of June. He came with us during our last trip to HHV for our milestone birthday celebration in 2014. My extended family loves Oahu and all of the conveniences that come with a major city (paved sidewalks, public transportation, lots of dining, shopping and entertainment options). Dad is definitely slowing down but he can still get around on his own.

HHVmap.jpg

Hilton-Hawaiian-Village-MP-2.jpg

Thank you! You will have to let me know how you liked Kalia and GI. I'm thinking Kalia is another good choice for us based on the elevators and my husband's disability but I know it is older and I'm wondering how run down and tired it looks. I checked the HGVC directory of resorts and the 1vbedroom plus in Kalia is smaller than a 1 bedroom in GW. GI rooms are smaller than GW as well in terms of sq. footage.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Staying there April 2 in a 2 bedroom ocean front. I saw the location of the building when there in February. It is right next to the Hale Koa resort and is not on Ala Moana. It's where the pickup area for the tours used to be, close to the Tapa Tower.

You will have to let me know how you liked the units and the location of the building on the resort property. It looks like square footage is smaller in these units based on the HGVC directory.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thank you! You will have to let me know how you liked Kalia and GI. I'm thinking Kalia is another good choice for us based on the elevators and my husband's disability but I know it is older and I'm wondering how run down and tired it looks. I checked the HGVC directory of resorts and the 1vbedroom plus in Kalia is smaller than a 1 bedroom in GW. GI rooms are smaller than GW as well in terms of sq. footage.

Kalia Tower was recently renovated. It looks great.

Several years ago, I reserved a standard one bedroom (which is city/mountain view) during open season. You'll get a lot of street noise on the city/mountain view side when you open the balcony door but otherwise it was great.

Last year, I reserved a one bedroom plus at the Kalia Tower for my sister and her husband and she loved it. LOL, especially the faster elevators and easy access to Kalia Road. She wants to stay there instead of the Lagoon Tower in the future. She texted me photos during her stay and it looked great.

Here's TUG member maverick1963's recent Kalia Tower photos - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-albums-recent-stay-at-kalia.247368/

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Kalia Tower was recently renovated. It looks great.

Several years ago, I reserved a standard one bedroom (which is city/mountain view) during open season. You'll get a lot of street noise on the city/mountain view side when you open the balcony door but otherwise it was great.

Last year, I reserved a one bedroom plus at the Kalia Tower for my sister and her husband and she loved it. LOL, especially the faster elevators and easy access to Kalia Road. She wants to stay there instead of the Lagoon Tower in the future. She texted me photos during her stay and it looked great.

Here's TUG member maverick1963's recent Kalia Tower photos - http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-albums-recent-stay-at-kalia.247368/

Thank you! I had not discovered those 2016 photo albums of the two Kalia rooms yet on TUG. I think it looks roomy from the photos. I wish the 1 bedrooms at HHV were 1.5 baths but it appears all 1 bedroom units in each building are 1/1 configurations. It is nice to hear your sister really liked Kalia Tower.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Can someone who is at HHV soon comment on the bus situation now that the construction is over. For the construction period, they were using the great lawn as a pickup area. I am assuming now that construction is over that the bus pickups are back over by the Grand Islander tower.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Can someone who is at HHV soon comment on the bus situation now that the construction is over. For the construction period, they were using the great lawn as a pickup area. I am assuming now that construction is over that the bus pickups are back over by the Grand Islander tower.

I think the great lawn pick up area is permanent.
It's still listed on the Hilton Hawaiian Village Website as a pickup/drop off point.

From http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/tips-for-a-perfect-stay
Plan Your Arrival To the Main Lobby
If you’re not renting a car and want to be taken directly to our Main Lobby, please take a taxi or Speedi-Shuttle from the Honolulu International Airport. Otherwise, if you have arranged transportation through a tour company or take an Airport Shuttle Bus, you will be dropped off at the Great Lawn or Tapa Tower Drop-Off/Pick-Up.

If you require ADA transportation, we have an HHV Express Cart that can pick you up at the Great Lawn or Tapa Tower Drop-Off/Pick-Up area and take you and your luggage to your lobby destination. Ask the Doorman or any Bellman for assistance or pick up any house phone (ext 41) at the resort.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
38 reviews are posted on TripAdvisor - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...ton_Grand_Vacations-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html
8 reviews posted on Yelp - https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-grand-islander-by-hilton-grand-vacations-honolulu

There are several complaints about the elevators and mixed reviews on the pool.

Three separate comments regarding the elevators from TripAdvisor
Lobby is nice. Elevators are the absolute worst. I will never stay at this building again because of it. Whomever came up with the idea should 've taken out back and shot.
The idea is you enter your floor number and the system assigns you an elevator to get on. The problem is the system has no idea how many people are actually geting on and allows 5 different floors to be entered before assigning a different elevator to the next person to select a floor. So if 10 people are looking to get on elevator C to go to the same floor, they eat up all the space on elevator C. So the 4 other floors that were entered for elevator C will still make those stops even though the people that selected those floors never got on because they couldn't fit. So now those people have to wait for an elevator all over again and the people that did make it on to the elevator have to make all of those stops for people that never even made it on. There were times where we had to wait 5-7 minutes to get on an elevator. It's less painful to get on a cruise ship elevator than the ones at this property.

There are only 4 elevators servicing all of the hotel. You have guests coming and going all day long, guest checking in our out with lots of baggage, and sales people with perspective clients using the elevators. There were numerous times when the elevator arrived to pick me up and I could not get on because it was overcrowded. If you do not like waiting for elevators only use them at night or stay at a different hotel. I would stay here again but I would look at other hotels first because I don't like waiting for elevators.

A lovely property but a little too congested. The elevators were also the ones to the tour bus lobby which meant that large families with lots of luggage used them most of the day. When one stopped working, a trip from the tenth floor took forever.

Three separate comments regarding the pool from TripAdvisor
Pool is terrible. The material they used around the pool is far to slippery. Saw a few kids and adult slip in the little time that I was there.

One of the best features of the property is an infinity pool which is for exclusive use of Islander guests. It's a nice break from the heavy crowds at the main pools in the village and the beach. The entire pool deck area is very relaxing with a hot tub, lounge chairs, tables and an indoor hospitality suite with beverages, couches, tvs, etc. If staying in Waikiki, this is a great option to be close to the action.

The Grand Islander also has a pool of its own and its fabulous. No extra cost for sunbeds nor towel card needed if you stay there. There is also a lounge you could relax pre check in or after if you need to wait.

Last edited:

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
38 reviews are posted on TripAdvisor - https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...ton_Grand_Vacations-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html
8 reviews posted on Yelp - https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-grand-islander-by-hilton-grand-vacations-honolulu

There are several complaints about the elevators and mixed reviews on the pool.

Three separate comments regarding the elevators from TripAdvisor
Lobby is nice. Elevators are the absolute worst. I will never stay at this building again because of it. Whomever came up with the idea should 've taken out back and shot.
The idea is you enter your floor number and the system assigns you an elevator to get on. The problem is the system has no idea how many people are actually geting on and allows 5 different floors to be entered before assigning a different elevator to the next person to select a floor. So if 10 people are looking to get on elevator C to go to the same floor, they eat up all the space on elevator C. So the 4 other floors that were entered for elevator C will still make those stops even though the people that selected those floors never got on because they couldn't fit. So now those people have to wait for an elevator all over again and the people that did make it on to the elevator have to make all of those stops for people that never even made it on. There were times where we had to wait 5-7 minutes to get on an elevator. It's less painful to get on a cruise ship elevator than the ones at this property.

There are only 4 elevators servicing all of the hotel. You have guests coming and going all day long, guest checking in our out with lots of baggage, and sales people with perspective clients using the elevators. There were numerous times when the elevator arrived to pick me up and I could not get on because it was overcrowded. If you do not like waiting for elevators only use them at night or stay at a different hotel. I would stay here again but I would look at other hotels first because I don't like waiting for elevators.

A lovely property but a little too congested. The elevators were also the ones to the tour bus lobby which meant that large families with lots of luggage used them most of the day. When one stopped working, a trip from the tenth floor took forever.

Three separate comments regarding the pool from TripAdvisor
Pool is terrible. The material they used around the pool is far to slippery. Saw a few kids and adult slip in the little time that I was there.

One of the best features of the property is an infinity pool which is for exclusive use of Islander guests. It's a nice break from the heavy crowds at the main pools in the village and the beach. The entire pool deck area is very relaxing with a hot tub, lounge chairs, tables and an indoor hospitality suite with beverages, couches, tvs, etc. If staying in Waikiki, this is a great option to be close to the action.

The Grand Islander also has a pool of its own and its fabulous. No extra cost for sunbeds nor towel card needed if you stay there. There is also a lounge you could relax pre check in or after if you need to wait.

Wow, it sounds like that is a building we would avoid due to the type of elevator call system it uses. I think Hokulani is like that as well from what I have read. I think our best choices are going to be Kalia Tower or Grand Waikikian. I've pretty much decided that these will be our choices moving forward. That's disappointing news about Grand Islander since it is brand new.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Interesting comment about the elevators. I had never stayed in a hotel with this elevator design until my DW and I spent a few nights at the beautiful Phoenician Resort in Scottsdale, AZ. It worked beautifully there, but that's because the resort is NOT overcrowded, and so people getting on the elevators (which are very fast and only go up or down a total of three levels) are correctly assigned to the floor they want to go to. I can see how the concept could be completely overrun in a high traffic high rise building concept like Grand Islander. We were there last year when the building was under construction. It's the last development on the HHV property, and furthest from the beach.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Wow, it sounds like that is a building we would avoid due to the type of elevator call system it uses. I think Hokulani is like that as well from what I have read. I think our best choices are going to be Kalia Tower or Grand Waikikian. I've pretty much decided that these will be our choices moving forward. That's disappointing news about Grand Islander since it is brand new.

You might be ok with Hokulani since it only has one bedrooms. I don't recall elevator complaints at Hokulani.

Grand Islander is a high rise that has one, two and three bedroom units so there are larger groups moving in and out of that building.

Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at Grand Islander yet or toured the property? If so, what did you think of it? Does anyone know the location of various room types in the building(ie. mountain view, etc.)

I know it is new and only recently opened so there is a real absence of any meaningful reviews on it.

While I haven't stayed there myself, my godparents just got back a couple days ago. They said it was a beautiful resort and conveniently located within the Hilton Hawaiian Village. My aunt said the Mandarin spa is WONDERFUL and quite reasonably priced, all things considered.

They did mention a few mishaps on the service side (i.e. high wait for checkin times, not very responsive employees) however they chalked it up to being a new resort and employees are still learning.

They travel to Hawaii a few times a year, and typically stay at the Hokulani Hilton property. They did mention they liked the Hokulani better (more spacious room, better layout/design, closer to restaurants etc.) and they will be going back to the Hokulani next time.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Wow the rooms at grand islander must be small. The hokulani 1br are small already. The lagoon 1br and kalia 1br are larger than hokulani units.
No problem with the 2 elevator call system at hokulani. Although it has way less units than grand islander and all 1br units. Must be the amount of bodies with the 2br and 3br units plus more units overall.
How do they limit access to the grand islander pools from the guest staying at lagoon, grand waikikian and kalia?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do they limit access to the grand islander pools from the guest staying at lagoon, grand waikikian and kalia?

I believe you need your key card and have to take the elevator to access the Grand Islander pool, similar to Hokulani.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The various Grand Islander room views posted on TripAdvisor and Yelp

photo2jpg.jpg

photo4jpg.jpg

o.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

o.jpg