• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Islander Reviews

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Boy, does that "EVER" look like a "Hawaiian dream vacation" room and view.......

Yeah, no kidding, what a terrible room location. They are just squeezing buildings on this property wherever they can find space.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Yeah, no kidding, what a terrible room location. They are just squeezing buildings on this property wherever they can find space.

I have had rooms like that on some business trips, but not on vacation... I would be pretty bummed... I am assuming this is the lowest point rooms, with a "resort view".

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I have had rooms like that on some business trips, but not on vacation... I would be pretty bummed... I am assuming this is the lowest point rooms, with a "resort view".

Yeah it looks like it's the resort view rooms.
Sadly, I'll find out first hand in a few weeks. We have a two bedroom resort view booked in May.
Here's the TripAdvisor review (LINK)
BEWARE - lots of terrible room views which should not even be offered to anyone for this price”
Reviewed 2 weeks ago
See attached photo and a picture tells a thousand words. If you are not a vacation club owner and just booking a room with cash then you will get screwed. In fact, the front desk check-in person even told me this as she knowingly assigned us a brutal room saying, "we need to keep the nice rooms for owners". Although new and rooms are very nice, you don't come to Hawaii just for a nice room and that is the biggest problem with this new tower. Its location is by far the worst of all the towers in property as its the furthest from everywhere you want to be, i) the beach, ii) the pool, iii) the lagoon and iv) the views. Property owners got a bit greedy and built it way too close to the existing surrounding buildings and as a result has many rooms with brutal views either looking straight into another building or roof or mechanical structures (this is what we got).

Room Tip: Don't risk staying here IF you are not a Hilton Vacation Club owner since they need to screw som...

hiltongrandvacations, Manager at The Grand Islander by Hilton Grand Vacations, responded to this review, 6 days ago

Aloha, thank you for writing a review on your recent stay with us here in Hawaii. Our management team reads all feedback to identify areas to improve or change procedure. While I was very disappointed to see we failed to meet your expectations during your stay, I was pleased to see we were able to provide you with a credit for your experience. I also see that we were fully occupied and could not provide you with a different room for your stay. Regrettably, while an apology and credit do not change what has already occurred, I'd like to express my most sincere apology in regards to your room assignment and disappointment. We value each and every guest regardless of whether they are members or not and I'm sorry if you felt or were lead to believe otherwise. Once again, I sincerely apologize for your inconveniences and hope you can accept my apology. Furthermore, I hope this experience does not deter you from visiting us again so we can provide you with a much better experience.

Warmest mahalo,
Anna Keleman
Resort Manager

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Sadly, I'll find out first hand in a few weeks. We have a two bedroom resort view booked in May.
Here's the TripAdvisor review (LINK)
BEWARE - lots of terrible room views which should not even be offered to anyone for this price”
Reviewed 2 weeks ago
See attached photo and a picture tells a thousand words. If you are not a vacation club owner and just booking a room with cash then you will get screwed. In fact, the front desk check-in person even told me this as she knowingly assigned us a brutal room saying, "we need to keep the nice rooms for owners". Although new and rooms are very nice, you don't come to Hawaii just for a nice room and that is the biggest problem with this new tower. Its location is by far the worst of all the towers in property as its the furthest from everywhere you want to be, i) the beach, ii) the pool, iii) the lagoon and iv) the views. Property owners got a bit greedy and built it way too close to the existing surrounding buildings and as a result has many rooms with brutal views either looking straight into another building or roof or mechanical structures (this is what we got).

We were at HHV last year when Grand Islander was under construction. Even then, one could easily observe that the location--which is shoe-horned in the last available space on the 38-acre site of HHV--is easily the worst of all. As the reviewer has said, it's furthest from the ocean, the fireworks, the retail establishments within the Village, and closest to the urban hubbub of western Waikiki and Honolulu.

I think owners at GI are going to be very disappointed, especially when they try to re-sell. The combination of very high pricing, higher MF's once the units are sold and Hilton raises them, higher points required to stay, and poor location are going to make this something Hilton owners will be talking about in mostly disparaging terms for years and years to come.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Honestly, once they get the elevator issue addressed, I think resale values will eventually be similar to Grand Waikikian. Grand Waikikian also offers less desirable views since it's up against the parking garage. I have to find the old photo that was posted here when it first opened.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Wow, those pictures really reinforce the importance of a high floor -- I would be very bummed to get one of those lower floor views. Even the Resort View doesn't look bad as long as you have a higher floor.

The 2BR Ocean View (14,400 points -- 19th floor or higher) looks like a terrific unit, if you have the points to burn. That's alot of points, and I'd rather have 10 days in a 2BR Premier unit in Lagoon Tower for the same quantity.

Thanks for posting these! I really hope they fix the elevator situation because that is a real aggravation.

Best,

Greg

jestme

Reaction score
Wow, those pictures really reinforce the importance of a high floor -- I would be very bummed to get one of those lower floor views. Even the Resort View doesn't look bad as long as you have a higher floor.

The 2BR Ocean View (14,400 points -- 19th floor or higher) looks like a terrific unit, if you have the points to burn. That's alot of points, and I'd rather have 10 days in a 2BR Premier unit in Lagoon Tower for the same quantity.

Thanks for posting these! I really hope they fix the elevator situation because that is a real aggravation.

Best,

Greg
At the time, I had to fight to get this room at the Waikikian. I had booked a 1BR+, and was given a room that was half-way down the side of the Waikikian facing the Illikai. You had to hang over the railing on the lanai to see the ocean. I went downstairs and told them that ALL the 1BR+ at the Kalia were full ocean view, I expected a full ocean view at the Waikikian for the same room type. A manager came out and "volunteered" this room for me.The Luau wasn't running on the rooftop I was overlooking at the time.
Overall, HGVC has an massively inflated view of their rooms, room types, and their value. The new building's views seems to be another example of that.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Honestly, once they get the elevator issue addressed, I think resale values will eventually be similar to Grand Waikikian. Grand Waikikian also offers less desirable views since it's up against the parking garage. I have to find the old photo that was posted here when it first opened.

I have not been able to figure out if there is actually something wrong with the elevators that can be fixed or adjusted. Of if the real issue is lack of enough capacity or perhaps guests confused by "reservation system" of requesting an elevator...

I do hope its something they can resolve.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
At the time, I had to fight to get this room at the Waikikian. I had booked a 1BR+, and was given a room that was half-way down the side of the Waikikian facing the Illikai. You had to hang over the railing on the lanai to see the ocean. I went downstairs and told them that ALL the 1BR+ at the Kalia were full ocean view, I expected a full ocean view at the Waikikian for the same room type.

That is why it is important to understand what category is what at EACH resort. It is not an across the board categorization.

Kalia Tower and Lagoon Have Ocean View that are considered PLUS units.
However Grand Waikikian have PARTIAL Ocean View units (yes from the balcony only) that are PLUS units. The Ocean View Units at GW are considered PREMIUM.
Kalia has no Premium, but the Premium units at Lagoon are actually OCEAN FRONT.

so you need to read descriptions and know what it is your booking. Don't assume that a PLUS is the same in all HGVC locations.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That is what drives up demands for Lagoon tower. For less points you get a better view. So unless you want new new new. A bunch of owners at GI or GW how have premium point units are likely trying to book the better views over at Lagoon Tower.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I think the great lawn pick up area is permanent.
It's still listed on the Hilton Hawaiian Village Website as a pickup/drop off point.

From http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/tips-for-a-perfect-stay
Plan Your Arrival To the Main Lobby
If you’re not renting a car and want to be taken directly to our Main Lobby, please take a taxi or Speedi-Shuttle from the Honolulu International Airport. Otherwise, if you have arranged transportation through a tour company or take an Airport Shuttle Bus, you will be dropped off at the Great Lawn or Tapa Tower Drop-Off/Pick-Up.

If you require ADA transportation, we have an HHV Express Cart that can pick you up at the Great Lawn or Tapa Tower Drop-Off/Pick-Up area and take you and your luggage to your lobby destination. Ask the Doorman or any Bellman for assistance or pick up any house phone (ext 41) at the resort.

The pick-up drop off is at the Grand Islander. The Great Lawn walkway is Great again without all of the people standing there all morning and the shuttles driving in and out trying to hit people.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what drives up demands for Lagoon tower. For less points you get a better view. So unless you want new new new. A bunch of owners at GI or GW how have premium point units are likely trying to book the better views over at Lagoon Tower.

Exactly! Every 1 bdrm garden view that I have stayed at in the Lagoon Tower would be an ocean view by any other standard. I own an ocean view but I actually like staying on the lower floors (garden view) on the diamond head side. One time we got a 2 bedroom garden view at the back of the building. One of the lanais faced the parking garage so we only used the second lanai where you could see the pool and ocean. And it was a huge unit.

Can you imagine paying $400-$550+ a night for that really bad view.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

We checked our extended family members into their resort view room at the Grand Islander on Saturday. At checkin, I requested a room with two double beds in the 2nd bedroom since we preferred three separate beds. Luckily we were assigned a two bedroom on the 6th floor overlooking the pool area. I am truly grateful for the room assignment based on the other possible "resort view" locations at the Grand Islander Tower.

I'll post more photos when we get back home.

Here's the view from room 603. (Odd number rooms face diamond head).

34517944372_d0bd630061_z_d.jpg

34680503635_46d8df9448_z_d.jpg

34517969602_52e37edb3e_z_d.jpg

The balconies from rooms x01 are directly across from the apartments (see photo below)

33837532694_a7727f71c6_z_d.jpg

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
great! looks very nice!

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
We checked our extended family members into their resort view room at the Grand Islander on Saturday. At checkin, I requested a room with two double beds in the 2nd bedroom since we preferred three separate beds. Luckily we were assigned a two bedroom on the 6th floor overlooking the pool area. I am truly grateful for the room assignment based on the other possible "resort view" locations at the Grand Islander Tower.

I'll post more photos when we get back home.

Here's the view from room 603. (Odd number rooms face diamond head).

34517944372_d0bd630061_z_d.jpg

34680503635_46d8df9448_z_d.jpg

34517969602_52e37edb3e_z_d.jpg

The balconies from rooms x01 which is directly across from the apartments (see photo below)

33837532694_a7727f71c6_z_d.jpg

Wow, look how close those balconies are to the other building! No view at all.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Uploaded my Grand Islander photos along with my Kalia Tower photos from our stay earlier this month. I also spent two nights at the Marriott Ko Olina resort. And I have to say that I now understand why some TUG members have rated Ko Olina #1 on Oahu compared to Disney Aulani and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. And I would have to agree. Both the Hilton and Disney resorts are very congested. The Marriott Ko Olina is a true beachfront destination resort with large villas, a wide beach, bbq grills, multiple pools and hot tubs. It was truly a very relaxing and laid back atmosphere with a lovely tropical feel for my adult party. The only thing missing was the conveniences you get with the city (various dining and entertainment options within walking distance or via public transportation). Since my guests were looking forward to their stay in Honolulu we only spent two nights at the Marriott.
No complaints at the Grand Islander. Just happy for the decent "resort" view. We didn't experience any long waits with the elevator. Although most days we either left really early in the morning or late in the morning.

The tower just opened in March and sadly we noticed some wear and tear in the kitchen area (purple stains, burn area, chip on the countertop and scratches on the attached tabletop). There is no room in the kitchen for a tall kitchen garbage can. So you'll see a small white office size garbage can in the corner of the kitchen. But you can call them to remove the trash when it's full.

We have various photos of the new tower both inside and out. I saw the earlier Tripadvisor view from my Kalia Tower balcony. It's from the Tapa Tower conference center which is between the Tapa Tower and the new Grand Islander tower (see photo below).

34826688731_a6bd090b26_n.jpg
34826698631_b34ff91c75_n.jpg

34978004745_6f01fb0d39_n.jpg
34814261822_e9c8d16714_n.jpg
34814258832_8b3d4d42e7_n.jpg
34135060164_d66fbecd56_n.jpg

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
So you liked the Marriott Ko Olina property better? We have not made a decision but were considering Kalia Tower. It sounds like the HHV has been overbuilt and that it has spoiled the experience for guests who now find it horribly congested. The last time I was in Hawaii was 1994 (it's been a long time) and it was mostly just the Rainbow Tower there back in the day. I'm not sure I would even recognize the property today.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It really depends on what you're looking for. In the future, I'm hoping to split my stay between the Hilton and the Marriott.

Hilton has the location advantage. You're right in the middle of everything with easy access to dining, cultural activities and entertainment. I've been going to HHV since 2000. I'm also a Lagoon Tower owner as well. Honestly I never found the HHV pools inviting. I did the HHV lagoon and Paradise pool once when my nieces came to HHV in 2014. It's not like the Hilton pools on the Big Island.

Marriott has done an outstanding job from a destination resort perspective. If you're planning to hang out at the resort then this is the one. Beautiful landscaping, enough beach area, pools and hot tubs for the resort size. It could use better onsite dining options. Just stick with the ocean view rooms and avoid the mountain view rooms since there is a good chance you'll get a parking lot view.

Of course, Disney has the features the kids want. I loved Aulani when it first opened. They did a fantastic job with that resort from a Hawaiian theme perspective. It was at 51% occupancy during our initial stay in 2012. It was nice and relaxing. I shared pics on TUG (link). In 2014, I brought the extended family back for my 2nd visit and what a mad house. It was like night and day. My nieces had a great time but they over built and don't have enough space.

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
It really depends on what you're looking for. In the future, I'm hoping to split my stay between the Hilton and the Marriott.

Hilton has the location advantage. You're right in the middle of everything with easy access to dining, cultural activities and entertainment. I've been going to HHV since 2000. I'm also a Lagoon Tower owner as well. Honestly I never found the HHV pools inviting. I did the HHV lagoon and Paradise pool once when my nieces came to HHV in 2014. It's not like the Hilton pools on the Big Island.

Marriott has done an outstanding job from a destination resort perspective. If you're planning to hang out at the resort then this is the one. Beautiful landscaping, enough beach area, pools and hot tubs for the resort size. It could use better onsite dining options. Just stick with the ocean view rooms and avoid the mountain view rooms since there is a good chance you'll get a parking lot view.

Of course, Disney has the features the kids want. I loved Aulani when it first opened. They did a fantastic job with that resort from a Hawaiian theme perspective. It was at 51% occupancy during our initial stay in 2012. It was nice and relaxing. I shared pics on TUG (link). In 2014, I brought the extended family back for my 2nd visit and what a mad house. It was like night and day. My nieces had a great time but they over built and don't have enough space.

This is a terrific summary - I like (own?) all three properties, but for different reasons. Phyllis has done a nice job summarizing here and i agree. Ko Olina is my favorite too -- when with family/others -- but you can't beat HHV/Lagoon for a combination of beautiful location and great restaurants/shopping.

Very special places, indeed.

Best,

Greg

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Thank you both for the insightful comments. My husband and I live on the east coast in Florida. It seems that most time share owners in HI are west coasters. Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to use it yearly if living on the east coast? I know the flights are expensive (I can remember years ago flying to HI on TWA for $500) and the trip is grueling, the time change extreme. . . For those of you that do live on the east coast, have you ever regretted the purchase? I feel like Marriott Ko Olina is nicer and we would have a rental car to go places but HGV has the advantage of being able to exchange it for a different location if you can't get there. And it is nice to be in Waikiki. I wish Hilton offered another property there on the beach. I'm trying to weigh all of this. I really liked alwaysonvac's photos of Marriott Ko Olina.