TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Islander Reviews

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by amy241, Mar 7, 2017.

1. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    They were working on this tower last time we stayed at HHV, so i know right were this located. The rooms look great on the inside, and the view from the top look nice as well. Think you just need to be very carefully when booking to understand what your reserving.

2. amy241

amy241 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Affiliate Sanibel Cottages
    I took another look at my AC in II again to see the various destinations offered and travel periods available. I have a question about the use of the AC. If I find something we are interested in, there is an orange Exchange button I need to click on. By clicking on this button, does this mean I am agreeing to deposit my week or will be required to deposit my week to confirm the exchange. I guess I am wondering what happens after you click the orange button?

3. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    If you are searching with the AC it means you are exchanging the AC only. It doesn't hurt to click through, you can go all the way to payment before backing out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. amy241

amy241 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Thank you! Was worried I was committing to something by clicking the orange button.

5. alwysonvac

alwysonvac TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark, Vistana, Disney, Hilton
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  6. amy241

amy241 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
  7. HatTrick

HatTrick Guest

And with no expansion to the parking facility--unless they re-striped the spaces to make them even narrower. No end to the shortsightedness and greed... :mad:

alwysonvac and amy241 like this.
  8. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Just completed a weeks stay in a 1br resort view here. We were on the 9th floor in 904. You did see the tapa tower rooms across and to the left. But also there was a view of the ocean if you looked a little further to the left. I will tell you guys that at marriott Ko'Olina this room would be an ocean view.

Marriott plays pretty loose when it comes to view classification. I have gotten ocean view rooms that cannot see any ocean overlook the loadind dock. Marriott Ko'Olina only has island view and ocean view. If your room is facing the ocean but you are on a low floor that is blocked by buildings or trees it is still considered ocean view. Also rooms that look at another tower and you have to look far right to see the ocean are considered ocean view.

Now back to the grand islander. Loved the size of the 1br. Room felt a bit bigger than lagoon tower, Grand waikikian, kalia and hokulani rooms. Could be because of the layout and open space of the kitchen and living room. Bathroom was large and had a nice amount of space. Loved that yoh have a washer and dryer in your room. Air conditioning kept the room cool and the use of koa for the countertop peninsula was very nice.

Had no problems with the elevators and did not experience the wait that others on trip advisor said they had.

Gi is also closer to the restraunts and night life on lewers street. The restraunts are the main reason that we stay at hokulani, now it will be the grand islander. Only downside is the amount of points needed if you book an ocean view room.

The only downside was the walk to and from the garage. I will be paying for the parking across the street at the hale koa parking garage next time. It is also closer walk than the hhv parking garage from the grand islander. Liked gi so much that we will be going back next month. Moved a stay from the hokulani to gi instead.

If anyone has any questions about gi i will try to answer them.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  9. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    I'm confused. You saw the Tapa Tower from room 903?
    I was in 603 last month and we faced the other way (diamond head side). I assumed all of the odd number rooms faced the same direction.

We had the Grand Islander two bedroom resort view room last month. The layout of the kitchen is better for families. The Grand Islander kitchen area and bathrooms are bigger than the other HHV towers. The Grand Islander living room didn't seem that much bigger than the Kalia Tower to me. The Lagoon Tower still has the largest living room/dining room space unless you get assigned Lagoon Tower room xx68 (link).

Grand Islander Tower

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Lagoon Tower

[​IMG] [​IMG]

For those who aren't familiar, here are photos from all of the HHV towers
    2017 Grand Islander Tower two bedroom resort view https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157682200075291
    2017 Kalia Tower one bedroom plus https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157684390036765
    2013 Lagoon Tower one bedroom plus https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157632554235307
    2013 Grand Waikikian Tower one bedroom plus https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157632607903247

Other HHV room photos
    2014 Grand Waikikian Tower three bedroom oceanfront penthouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157650676101163
    2010 Lagoon Tower Tower three bedroom oceanfront penthouse https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/sets/72157623591192119
    2009 Lagoon Tower two bedroom premier (penthouse) https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/albums/72157620820305657
    2009 Lagoon Tower two bedroom premier (oceanfront) https://www.flickr.com/photos/40089311@N05/albums/72157620916829447

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  10. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Sorry we were in 904. Corrected that mistake.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

alwysonvac likes this.
  11. frank808

frank808 TUG Member

Forgot to add the 1br living room felt about the same size as a 2br living room at grand islander. Got to see the 2br thanks to another tugger crf450x that was there at the same time in room 903 across the hallway from us.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

alwysonvac likes this.
  12. keen1988

keen1988 Guest

A lot have been posted here, we were there at Grand Islander two weeks ago for 4 days as part of a VIP package stay, original assignment was a 2Br resort view room on 8th floor. The front desk lady was nice enough that she upgraded us to 1909 (a ocean view handicap room right next to elevator, though non of us are handicaped, LoL)
    For us, it did feel a little bit smaller compare to Grand Waikikian 2BR, but that's OK as the room is definitely more morden and bright.

Oh, the evelvator is well doced, if the systme is so smart, why do I still need to input floor number? Also I want to added, in the evelvator there should be at least one bottom for Lobby, or even another for LL where the bus station is. During my stay, I watched an old lady rush into my elevator on the lobby floor, then got totally lost. I can't explain to her as she only speak japanese. I had to call a evalator for her to send her back to lobby...

The Ocean view is very similar to this one, just that its even farther from the ocean from our room, in my own book that's partial OV at best.
    The equipments are nice, fancy fans, remotes for window shades(the living room's remote control setting was mess up, as some one in another room keep open our living room's shades, we just thought it's funny, but it maybe scare if someone is sleeping on the sofabed in the middle night), self open/class balcony door(is this handicap room only?), King sofa bed enough for 3 kids, washlet(only in master bath though), washer/dryer all-in-one. We just hope they also come up with better lighting contral, maybe a central contral panel or even a remoter, at least for a handicap room. Building qulity is so-so, we already see some sign of faults on the wood trims and countertop, crackers, noises....

Access to the shopping area and beach does require a good 3mins walk.

One more tip for anyone looking to stay at the complex, to reduce the parking cost, there is a parking area right between the lagoon and the ocean lagoon, where parking free for 3 or 6 hours(but do close in midnight, saying they'll tow you) and a near by parking lot charge reasonable $1/hour parking overnight. Just search Ala Moana Bowls Parking Lot on google map. To the lagoon tower it's even more close then on-site selfparking, for GI it going to be 10mins beach walk LoL. We did notice it when walking aroudn the lagoon.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. keen1988

keen1988 Guest

Hmm, there are better options, airlines have started to flying full flat-bed first class from mainland to HI these days, I was on a UA Boeing 777-200 from SFO to HNL and that's so much better compare to 737s and 757s they and AA are still flying from LAX, only cost me $650 compare to $400 economic one-way. But they are charging the same amount for old 737 and 777s, so make sure you get flatbed before you book, they have special seat logo like a bed on seat map. For now I'm sure that Hawaiian and AA are flying these from JFK, and UA are flying from Boston and Denver.

14. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks for sharing. That is a good deal from the West Coast.

We did United's full flat bed first class last month between New Jersey and Honolulu (United Boeing 767-300). There is a big price difference coming from the East Coast and UA frequent flyer saver rate is rare for these seats. It's definitely a comfortable seat but we still didn't sleep well on the overnight flight. First class service was just ok. Food was better years ago. Now, it's treated like domestic first class.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/comparing-premium-service-to-hawaii/

15. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    oh, I forgot to mention... the Grand Islander doesn't require a key card.
    You just indicate your floor and it tells you the elevator assignment.

16. keen1988

keen1988 Guest

Much more flat-beds starting 2017, hope it will drop the price a little bit for you. UA is always so-so even for international flight, but food is ok for me this time, both eggs and sausages on the way there and humbuger on the way back seems to be fresh cooked/hot, and taste better than fast-food chain(yes, that's my expectation level for UA)
    http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-...-Hawaii-Increases-Service-to-40-Daily-Flights

17. Southdown13

Southdown13 TUG Member

Just finished a four night stay in a 1 br Premier ocean view unit using club points at the Grand Islander. We were assigned a room on the 26th floor. I called before our arrival to request a Diamond Head side unit, and the FD person told me that all ocean view 1 br units will be on the DH side.

No issues with the elevators and wait times were minimal. There was some traffic noise from Kalia Road nearby, but at night it seemed fairly quiet inside the unit with the sliding door closed. We enjoyed the balcony, although there is direct sun from sunrise to about 3 pm, so we mainly used it in the late afternoon. Overall a great stay, and it’s nice to have another good option for a unit at HHV.

[​IMG]

Diamond Head is behind the center building (Trump International Hotel)
    [​IMG]

Pano view
    [​IMG]

amy241 and alwysonvac like this.
  18. amy241

amy241 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:

We are flying first class on United metal from EWR to HNL in April. The tickets cost a king’s ransom at $4000 for my husband and myself. But in my 50s, I don’t think I can take a cramped coach class anymore. I flew coach years back to HNL (think TWA) and did ok but seats were roomier and I was smaller in my 20s. Last trip to HI was 1994 so I am getting very excited!

1Kflyerguy likes this.
  19. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
    I hope you have a wonderful trip.:thumbup:

Where did you decide to stay? HHV, Hokulani and/or KoOlina?

20. alwysonvac

Resorts Owned:
  21. amy241

amy241 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    We are staying in a HHV Kalia Suites 1 bedroom Oceanview. I feel like the elevators will be better for my husband on a mobility scooter. I also like the fact that the lobby seems to have a hotel-like atmosphere. We will be in Waikiki there for 8 days then over to Kings’ Land on the Big Island for 7 nights. Can’t wait! We are watching all the episodes of Hawaii Five-O. Lol.

alwysonvac likes this.
  22. csodjd

csodjd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
    I toured the Grand Islander when staying at the Lagoon Tower last year. It was very nice, to be sure. Of course, everything is brand new, so the new sparkle is nice. We looked at the upper floor two and three bedroom units, and the penthouse units. Those go for as much as $150k, fixed week, and were largely sold out! But the more "basic" ocean view 2-bedroom rooms were nicer than the comparable 8400 pt Lagoon Tower rooms. Nicer view and brand new. That said, there's no secondary market yet and the developer prices were silly. Don't recall exactly, but somewhere in the area of $40,000-50,000 more than we paid for an ocean view 2 bedroom in the Lagoon tower.

23. Justin Lalonde

Justin Lalonde Guest

Wouldn’t avoid the building simply because the elevator situation. This is a superior building in the Hawaiian village, rooms are spacious well appointed and modern.