TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Mayan RM - whats with the pools?

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by DG001, Jan 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM.

1. DG001

DG001 TUG Member

I am just back from Cancun over the Christmas/NY break. We spent the first part of the vacation in Westin Lagunamar, and the second part at the Vidanta GM at Riviera Maya.

So most of what I read about the Grand Mayan was absolutely correct, the room was fantastic and the grounds were great. Food was good but pricey, sales was pushy, and they did everything they could to keep us in the resort, including making parking a huge hassle.

But my beef was with the pools. Even though the pools looked great, the water was freezing! And not the "get in and you will get used to it" cold - it literally was 72 degrees! Also, there are no hot tubs! Again, that baffled me! Huge pools, spent a lot of $ and effort to make it look good, but not even a token try to make the water inviting... it was a big disappointment for me and my family, especially after the fantastic pools at the Lagunamar.

I figure the pools are so large that they don't heat it. But - and this is the reason for the post - I was surprised that this had not been mentioned in any TUG post... usually most pros/cons for each resort are so hashed out that the pool situation took me aback.

Was my experience just a one time random fluke? Do most people not find the water cold? I would honestly have not come to this resort if I had known about the pool/hottub situation.

Ok, I will stop the rant. It was a nice vacation.

2. whitewater

whitewater TUG Review Crew TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham Access
    Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (Floating)
    Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (Fixed)
    Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates (EOY)
    we went in May last year. found them cool but not cold. they likely do not heat pools and let the sun do the work.

3. Zinjanthropus

Zinjanthropus TUG Member

Before they built the Beach Club there were a couple of round hot pools. I thought there was a hot pool in the Sanctuary area.

4. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    Surface water temp. in Lake Huron ( & other Great Lakes ) peaks at approx 72 F in mid August and wavy/ windy days tend to bring up cooler water from the bottom .
    So - not too cool for us .

We have experienced Vidanta pools in NV / PV . ( Feb / March / April - depending on the visit ) and thought the water temperature was fine .

I guess it depends on your comparison .

5. Corey Watson

Corey Watson TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
    I remember the pools in Vidanta RM being cool too. Just returning from a trip to GM NV in December we discovered the MP pool to appear the coolest (its also the largest) while the GM pools appear to have been heated. Wonder if they also employ their caste system with the pools?

6. pittle

pittle TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
    The pools are generally cool or cold - I prefer warmer than any of the Mayan World pools that I have been in during winter months. It always seemed to me that the higher level of the large Mayan Palace pool at RM was warmer than the lower levels probably because it had less surface area.

7. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

The GM pool is quite shallow in parts because it's zero entry. I think it probably heats up faster from the sun because of that.