• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Ocean - July 2019

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to DW yet but I just booked a week at Grand Ocean for July 2019. It was available and I had the points to burn. I'm assuming since it's HHI area that weather should be good.

At the time of the trip, kids will be 3.5, 6.5, and 9. I'm assuming this should be kid friendly. For a first timer, should I be looking at another Marriott resort?

Worst case, I can cancel the trip at 61 days out.

I've never been out there. What should I expect in terms of cost for car rental, food, etc? We'll be flying from SLC and quick check with Delta shows that tickets will be in the range of $600-$700 per person. I haven't checked the other airlines yet.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Grande Ocean is a great resort for kids of that age. The bike riding from there into Sea Pines is great, pools are great, beach is great. Your kids will also get a kick out of riding bikes on the beach. There are some great educational kayak tours that run out of the Shelter Cove area. Here's one... https://www.outsidehiltonhead.com/hilton-head-kayaking/two-hour-tours

For flights, also check out Charleston and Savannah. I believe American actually has jet service into HHI airport now. Rental car rates are pretty much in line with anyplace else....not crazy high or crazy discounted.

For food, brush up on Marty's HHI Restaurant Thread, which just happens to be on page 1 of the Marriott forum threads today.

Enjoy!!!

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to DW yet but I just booked a week at Grand Ocean for July 2019. It was available and I had the points to burn. I'm assuming since it's HHI area that weather should be good.

At the time of the trip, kids will be 3.5, 6.5, and 9. I'm assuming this should be kid friendly. For a first timer, should I be looking at another Marriott resort?

Worst case, I can cancel the trip at 61 days out.

I've never been out there. What should I expect in terms of cost for car rental, food, etc? We'll be flying from SLC and quick check with Delta shows that tickets will be in the range of $600-$700 per person. I haven't checked the other airlines yet.
We are there most years with a large group, we had 51 last year for the 4th of July, there next year possibly with a larger group still possibly at the same time. We drive so can't help much on airport and car rentals. I'd fly into Savannah rather than HH though there are some new options for flying directly there. You could also look at nearby airports like Charleston. It's 6 hrs from ATL driving. It might be worth flying into a larger option and driving the rest of the way with such a group. You might also look at Jacksonville, about 3 hrs and fairly good for SW. It'll be hot, very hot but it may rain most days esp in the afternoon. IMO GO is the best option on HHI, esp if you haven't been there before. It's fairly inexpensive food/grocery wise compared to many resort areas and early bird's are abundant for restaurants.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $600-$700 rate was flying into Savannah. Right now I can't check actual prices for another month as it's more than a year out. Hope the DW is okay with my pick.

I doubt my family would endure a long drive from one of the other airports.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The $600-$700 rate was flying into Savannah. Right now I can't check actual prices for another month as it's more than a year out. Hope the DW is okay with my pick.

I doubt my family would endure a long drive from one of the other airports.
Ballpark that sounds a little high for me. If you can fly direct to J'ville from SLC, it might be worth it but if you have to go through ATL or similar to get there anyway and could get a directly flight to ATL that was quite a bit cheaper, that still might be best. By the time you waited on the connecting flight and were still an hour away from HHI in Savannah, it really isn't that much different. Plus it removes some of the risks of connections and delays but obviously it adds other issues and risks.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ballpark that sounds a little high for me. If you can fly direct to J'ville from SLC, it might be worth it but if you have to go through ATL or similar to get there anyway and could get a directly flight to ATL that was quite a bit cheaper, that still might be best. By the time you waited on the connecting flight and were still an hour away from HHI in Savannah, it really isn't that much different. Plus it removes some of the risks of connections and delays but obviously it adds other issues and risks.

I'll look into it. I just booked a work trip from SLC to ATL. I was thinking Delta would be cheaper since they're both hubs. Delta was $1183 while United was $363. I'll see what things look like when I can check actual prices.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Love it. Would own there if they had LOs! My youngest is now 23 so I won't be a good source for young kids, but we (and our guests) had no issues with our kids finding things to do (ages 8-13). Beach, pool, Harbour Town, Sea Pines, tours. We took a boat tour to see dolphins and go to an "island" to collect shells...it did not disappoint.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Marty will have the best Hilton Head tips for you. Food and gas prices are surprisingly low there (but then we are used to vacationing in Hawaii).

We spent a wonderful week at Grande Ocean during the first week of June 2018. The weather was still enjoyable (not yet unbearably hot and muggy). In the extreme heat and humidity of July, you may not want to spend much time outside.

Like you, we also encountered high airline fares trying to fly into Savannah, so we booked flights to ATL and did the 4-hour drive to Hilton Head from there. It was a VERY long day of travel from the west coast. Our flight departed early in the morning and we didn't arrive at the resort until after 10pm. To break up the travel, consider spending an extra night in Atlanta and visit some sights there (we visited the Margaret Mitchell House, the Varsity Drive-In, and also Coca-Cola HQ).

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
For a first timer, should I be looking at another Marriott resort?
Out of the many Marriott Hilton Head timeshares, Grande Ocean is the best - a lovely resort.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marty will have the best Hilton Head tips for you. Food and gas prices are surprisingly low there (but then we are used to vacationing in Hawaii).

We spent a wonderful week at Grande Ocean during the first week of June 2018. The weather was still enjoyable (not yet unbearably hot and muggy). In the extreme heat and humidity of July, you may not want to spend much time outside.

Like you, we also encountered high airline fares trying to fly into Savannah, so we booked flights to ATL and did the 4-hour drive to Hilton Head from there. It was a VERY long day of travel from the west coast. Our flight departed early in the morning and we didn't arrive at the resort until after 10pm. To break up the travel, consider spending an extra night in Atlanta and visit some sights there (we visited the Margaret Mitchell House, the Varsity Drive-In, and also Coca-Cola HQ).

We will be in Maui in June 2019 so we'll be used to the humidity. I've also considered booking in Aug 2019 but hey didn't have any 13 month reservations available. It seems like only 12 month reservations. Would August be worse than July in terms of heat/humidity?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think Grande Ocean is the best of the eight resorts in HHI.

I would suggest seriously looking at American Airlines connections right into Hilton Head Island airport to see if the times work for you. You can fly nonstop from SLC to Charlotte and then make their connection to HHH that now uses the Embraer 175 Regional Jets. As you said, you can't book out into July yet, but I just looked at some June dates and the fares were $540 to $650 into HHH from SLC. By flying into HHH, you are 15-20 minutes or so from Grande Ocean vs 60 minutes or more. It's also a small airport, so an easy in and out.

July and August are similar in HHI, but the humidity does tend to get a little stickier in August here in the southeast. Don't compare June humidity in Hawaii to summer humidity in the southeastern US. No comparison. You ain't felt REAL humidity until you've been down here in the mid-to-late summer! :)

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
That’s a lot of time and money to travel to high temps, humidity and wet season, when you are so much closer to Hawaii.

I lived near Beaufort as a kid and July-Aug were as miserable there as it is on the Texas gulf coast. I can guarantee the Marine Corps recruits at Parris Island were not 'happy campers' in general and the heat/humidity was crazy.

Last edited:

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s a lot of time and money to travel to high temps, humidity and wet season, when you are so much closer to Hawaii.

I lived near Beaufort as a kid and July-Aug were as miserable there as it is on the Texas gulf coast.

When is the ideal season/month to travel to HHI. I've never been. I just hear everyone say how great it is. I'm not tied to the reservation. Just figured I had points available so that I'd book first and then decide later whether or not I should keep it.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I lived near Beaufort as a kid and July-Aug were as miserable there as it is on the Texas gulf coast.

I ragged on our humidity down here in my previous post, and while it is thick enough to cut with a knife at times, I should probably walk back my absolutes just a bit. When you are on the beach, it IS much more pleasant. We were in HHI over July 4, and the air temps were in the low 90s and with the humidity, the heat indices away from the ocean were 100+. Here in Charlotte, I wouldn't even think of going outside for an extended time. But we spent at least 4 or 5 hours almost every day for 5 days on the beach. The sea breeze kicks in every day around noon/early PM and by the time 5-6pm rolls around, it's down-right pleasant. Now on the pool deck where we were staying at the Westin hotel, where the breezes were blocked a bit, it was dang HOT. We avoided that area. It might not be really comfortable riding your bike on the many bike paths during the heat of the day, but even then, HHI has a LOT of trees - more than you will probably ever see at a beach resort area - so you can always find a shady place to ride.

Last edited:

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We will be in Maui in June 2019
Instead of Hilton Head in July, consider using your extra points to extend your June vacation at one of the other Hawaii resorts. The new Waikoloa timeshare is on our list of potentials.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
When is the ideal season/month to travel to HHI. I've never been. I just hear everyone say how great it is. I'm not tied to the reservation. Just figured I had points available so that I'd book first and then decide later whether or not I should keep it.

I think any time from mid-April through October is great in HHI. The weather will tend to be a little cooler in April, warm and less humid in May/early June and Sept/early October. But Sept/early Oct is hurricane season, so that is always a risk then.

May/early-June may be the best overall balance of weather/temp/humidity, but if you plan to spend most of your time at the beach, then June/July/August isn't really THAT bad...I mean, we just spent 3 days by choice in mid-June and 5 days in early July in HHI, and had a great time. If it wasn't for some other schedule conflicts, we'd be looking at targeting a weekend in August to go back.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
When is the ideal season/month to travel to HHI.
Earlier is better. We are tied to the school calendar, so we went to Grande Ocean as soon as school was out (first week of June). If you can rebook your Maui reservation to later in the summer, consider doing a similar arrangement.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're tied to school calendar as well. Both mine and the kids as I teach a college class during the summer.

Instead of Hilton Head in July, consider using your extra points to extend your June vacation at one of the other Hawaii resorts. The new Waikoloa timeshare is on our list of potentials.

I thought about extending to Waikoloa but I'm not allowed to be away from work for more than 2 weeks at a time.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
One of the things that will (pleasantly) surprise you about Hilton Head is the temperature of the ocean water there. It is quite literally like a bathtub. You can spend hours in the ocean because it is so warm. We would go jump in the Grande Ocean swimming pools to cool off after being in the ocean. Much warmer than Hawaii ocean temps.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the things that will (pleasantly) surprise you about Hilton Head is the temperature of the ocean water there. It is quite literally like a bathtub. You can spend hours in the ocean because it is so warm. We would go jump in the Grande Ocean swimming pools to cool off after being in the ocean. Much warmer than Hawaii ocean temps.

Love it. We spend a lot of time in the pools and ocean in Hawaii. I think we would do the same in HHI.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We spend a lot of time in the pools and ocean in Hawaii. I think we would do the same in HHI.
I am a pool person and my wife is a beach person.
While at Hilton Head, I became a beach person because of the warm ocean water temperature.

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
Bicycle riding is a favorite activity at Hilton Head, as well. The sand is firm enough to ride on the beach, and there are linked bike paths scattered throughout the Hilton Head resort area. At Grande Ocean, you can rent bikes for a reasonable weekly rate and use them at your leisure. Early morning and early evening are the best times for bike rides. Take some headlamps with you in case you get caught away from the resort after dark.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Steven, we highly recommend HHI.

We have only there once, but really enjoyed it. That was late April and the golf tournament was going on. GO is a beautiful resort, but we ended up staying at Sunset Pointe, which is on the marsh side of the island, because we didn't have as many points available. It is an older resort, but had just been remodeled when we stayed there. We visited all of the Marriott's while on the island. Each resort has it's own character. GO is big and the grounds were very nice.

We flew into Savanah, which is only 40-45 minutes away. We did a day trip back to Savanah to do a walking tour and learn about the history. Very interesting. We also took a day trip to Beaufort to see the historic homes and fort. Again, very interesting to see.

Best regards.

Mike

gblotter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside x 2
Maui Ocean Club x 2
Ko Olina Beach Club x 1
We did two daytrips during the week, using Grande Ocean as our home base.
One day was spent in Savannah and another day in Charleston. Both cities are charming and unique and worth the investment of time.
As part of our Charleston daytrip, we toured a working plantation (Boone Hall). There are other worthy plantation tours (Drayton, Magnolia, Middleton), but they tend to be pricey so we picked just one.