• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Pacific Palisades

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
looking at resales. I have read a few reviews that GPP is a little outdated etc. can anyone tell me if there have been any renovations. Are the three bedrooms better than a two in anything other than size. We've stayed there once last year and it was just ok. I'm just trying to vacation in that area and my HICV does not have resorts there. Trying to keep fees low but not so low that quality is sacrificed. Any ideas or reviews?

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
You might consider the Welk Escondido. It's not on the beach, so if that's a requirement, it won't work for you. But it's 20 miles inland from Carlsbad, which means you'll enjoy nice weather. Welk is a very nice resort with a ton of family-oriented activities. It has eight swimming pools, two golf courses, a fishing pond, a theater onsite, and many other amenities.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
looking at resales. I have read a few reviews that GPP is a little outdated etc. can anyone tell me if there have been any renovations. Are the three bedrooms better than a two in anything other than size. We've stayed there once last year and it was just ok. I'm just trying to vacation in that area and my HICV does not have resorts there. Trying to keep fees low but not so low that quality is sacrificed. Any ideas or reviews?

Full disclosure upfront - I own at GPP so may be a little biased.

I have owned for the last six years. My first year I stayed there it was a little dated but renovations were completed about three years ago. It was much nicer but the kitchen was still lacking (cheaper cabinets, plain white appliances). The beds and bedding have always been top notch. GPP is once again in process of renovating the rooms with a focus on kitchens and bathrooms. I suspect that this will bring it right up to HGVC standards. I have not seen the model room but will when I am there in July. While not the lowest maintenance fees around I feel that we get a lot for our money. The current renovations are funded through reserves - the maintenance fees went up less than 2% from the prior year and I don't think many timeshares could claim that low of an increase.

All that said, I knew what the rooms looked like when I purchased in 2012 and while not luxurious they were certainly acceptable. The on-going renovations are going to take the rooms to a whole new level, in my opinion. Not sure if you have any kids but this place is perfect for families. Lots of activities, a kids only pool, an activity room (with pool table, air hockey and foosball table), playground area, basketball court, and LEGOLAND within walking distance. For the adults there is an adult only pool, Karl Straus brewery/restaurant next door, an outlet mall a short drive away, many other restaurants close by (including In-N-Out), and a Costco within walking distance if you enjoy walking. The beach is a short drive away. I haven't used it but I believe GPP has a shuttle you can use as well.

I have an option for 8,400 HGVC points but I have never given up my week for the HGVC points. We have so far enjoyed it too much to want to stay anywhere else. That will likely change as my boys are getting older but for 2018 we will be there yet again.

I have only stayed in a 1B and 2B so I can't answer your question about the 3B.

Final comment - GPP has a hotel side and a timeshare side. I have noticed some negative reviews are actually related to the hotel room. The hotel is completely separate wing than the timeshare suites.

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll gladly send you the most recent GPP newsletter which would give you an idea on what's going on there.