• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone else gotten this from Airbnb?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE

Register your listing in Prince George’s County
Prince George’s County now requires hosts to obtain a short-term rental license and display this license number on Airbnb. Listings that aren’t registered may have action taken against them by the county, so we recommend completing your registration as soon as you can.

You can find out what’s required for your listing and get started on the county’s website.
iF72Ha8GWbcO7KuwBYzjSZVFQPM4ruQebgt_GgtQWkJknSMJKogUnc2OnFHsqoDb4WrH2JGXDJVn_6A3A7C-Jlsexjk7qSMMD6Dxv1Ncvvs6kDZUf5nHznyjMC5C4ufIAYs=s0-d-e1-ft

Get started
If you’ve already registered, just add the details to your listing and you’re all set.

To learn more about Prince George’s County’s requirements, visit the Help Center.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
No. But more and more communities are implementing regulations to ensure that short-term rentals adhere to the same regulations as lodging businesses do. Especially when it comes to collecting tax revenue.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Desert - Flagstaff - Waikiki-Beachwalk+2PICs - Bonnet-Creek - Smoky-Mountains - NO CWA/NO RESALE
Airbnb is not differentiating between their usual short-term rentals from a resort, which is already a lodging business. The resort must already fulfill all regulatory requirements local and otherwise.

As a Casual renter trying offset some of the MF, I find this to be an added nuisance.

They also collect taxes on rentals at National Harbor. It looks like double-taxation. After all, when we used our points to stay there, resort did not collect any taxes.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New Airbnb Market Manager!
profile_mask2.png

Brian Mayer <brian.mayer@airbnb.com>
Thu, Oct 17, 9:04 AM
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi There!

We are excited to announce that after the acquisition of HotelTonight earlier this year, we have been able to build out our account management team to better support your needs! This marks a new chapter in our ongoing commitment to providing comprehensive support to our hotel and hostel partners.

Effective today, I will be taking over as your main support contact for your Airbnb accounts and am really looking forward to working with you and driving more business! I am eager to meet you and would love to set up a call to discuss how we can best work together.

Looking forward to connecting!

Best,
Brian

--
Brian Mayer
Market Manager, HotelTonight - Part of the Airbnb family
+1 407-310-0170

xgI2iBGttFOzAuTmc42FOirzv3VJy3CtXftxoLO2tbnNBOzQwUlw8t0M-f1r7H1ekPQvt_oRvaBcVvxLxpg0p8vMypfYHV7qt2jg4Q=s0-d-e1-ft

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think I will give this Brian Mayer a to find out more. After all, Airbnb seems to have seen to need to to set up a team to deal with Hotels separately.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have rented twice and a third one is coming up next month, all at National Harbor. If I am getting this, megarenters with hundreds of Wyndham listings in Airbnb must certainly have been contacted. I hope they have expressed the same concerns to Airbnb.

I will post here if I learn something from Brian.

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
They also collect taxes on rentals at National Harbor.
Could you explain this comment. What is defined as a rental? If a unit is reserved with points then 'given' to someone via a Guest Certificate, is this now a rental? What tax is applied and on what amount?

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you look at the National Harbor listing as a traveler, you will see that Occupancy Taxes and fees are collected on behalf of the lister by Airbnb.
It doesn't make sense to me since I could make the same Guest reservation for a 'friend' without using Airbnb and taxes don't come into play at all! Or, at least, I never thought they did!

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going to ask Brian Mayer to clarify this.

Why is a Guest confirmation in a Resort being subject to GST Maryland and Accommodations Tax of Prince Georges County when the resort guests are not charged these taxes?
Why does having Airbnb as the middleman attract these additional taxes? What if I were to list the same on eBay or TUG or wherever?

Cyrus24

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Royal Garden, Las Olas, VV at Parkway, Island Links
The link you shared suggests that all these fees and taxes assessed because the AirBNB platform is being used to 'rent' a reserved units. No reference to friends and family traveling on a standard Wyndham Guest Certificate outside AirBNB. $895 for 2 nights at National Harbor is outrageous, BTW. Since there is no myclubwiyndham availability for the dates you shared, I guess a person desperate to stay at National Harbor on those dates might pay the price. Me, I'd find something more reasonably priced or change my travel dates.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Wyndham owner in that listing is going to get a payout of $697 minus the Airbnb lister fee. But the listing is just an 'invitation to offer'. If someone requests, she will probably have to decline if she, like me, books after getting a request. But the megarenters using resale points seem to book up reservations based on Gaylord Cobention center schedule. I am still trying to figure out how they operate.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor is a great resort in an ideal location! It must be a money-maker for mega-renters. Look at the many listings on Airbnb.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
rental tax is a county by county thing. Many counties require you to set up a tax id and collect tax and then to forward it to the county if you rent out at least 14 nights in that county. Some counties require this for a rental of as few as 1 night. This could be for your entire house, a room in your house, or your timeshare or anything else that you are renting out as lodging. Most individuals even those who rent out more than those limits just don't know about the tax laws and/or don't bother. The counties don't have a big budget to go after those that do. They do require big platforms like AirBnB to collect and submit the taxes. AirBnB isn't keeping the money.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see $6/1000 figure mentioned on this BBS as a $-to-points equivalency for renting out points. And how it's cheaper to rent from VIP owners in the 60 day window than being a Wyndham owner. I still haven't figured that out!

My december rental will net me ~$600 for 28,000 points. The Airbnb customer is going to get a fantastic deal for his wedding night! That's $21/1000 points! Instead of 1 Bedroom-deluxe I had listed (20,250 points), he is going to get a 2-Bedroom Deluxe with Balcony (1100 sqft). $300 per night at National Harbor is a great deal!

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
rental tax is a county by county thing. Many counties require you to set up a tax id and collect tax and then to forward it to the county if you rent out at least 14 nights in that county. Some counties require this for a rental of as few as 1 night. This could be for your entire house, a room in your house, or your timeshare or anything else that you are renting out as lodging. Most individuals even those who rent out more than those limits just don't know about the tax laws and/or don't bother. The counties don't have a big budget to go after those that do. They do require big platforms like AirBnB to collect and submit the taxes. AirBnB isn't keeping the money.

Then, why do they not require Wyndham to collect these taxes from their guests? They do in Indio, Hawaii, Tuscon and I am sure other sites. If the resort is obliged to collect taxes, why is Airbnb even collecting it in the case of Wyndham resorts?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Then, why do they not require Wyndham to collect these taxes from their guests? They do in Indio, Hawaii, Tuscon and I am sure other sites. If the resort is obliged to collect taxes, why is Airbnb even collecting it in the case of Wyndham resorts?
They do require wyndham to collect tax for those paying cash. They don't require it from owners using points, they are considered owners and/or guests using their vacation club stay and pay property taxes not nightly taxes. The difference is you are renting your reservation made with points and it is subject to taxes. It isn't an owner stay or owner guest stay it is clearly a rental. Some counties, especially in areas where there are worldmarks require tax even for owner/vacation club stays. Many in Hawaii as well. Thus the resort collects it directly.

In the case of the rentals in which AirBnB is collecting the tax the requirement is not that the resort collects taxes but the person renting the accommodations. Since the counties know most of the owners aren't doing it, they require the big owner rental platforms to collect the taxes.

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, as per your logic, owners who book National Harbor who are not deeded at National harbor or CWA, should be taxed! After all, they have no ownership at National Harnor! But they are not taxed! You will have a hard time rationalizing that! But, go ahead, give it a try!:)

Last edited:

SNA27

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who is an owner at a resort in the Wyndham context? Mind-boggling question on its own! Does it depend on real-esate ownership at a resort or the abililty to make reservations at a resort? Is he taxed? If he is not taxed, should his assignee,allowed to enjoy the ownership, be taxed? Reasonable people would say 'No'!

We're talking about local/state taxes. Not income taxes which is a different issue. 1099s from Airbnb will take care of that.

Tax everyone or tax no one! Don't do it in an arbitrary fashion that undermines respect for authority that derives from the mandate and hence the will of the people!

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Who is an owner at a resort in the Wyndham context? Mind-boggling question ......If he is not taxed, should his assignee,allowed to enjoy the ownership, be taxed? Reasonable people would say 'No'!
We're talking about local/state taxes.
Tax everyone or tax no one! Don't do it in an arbitrary fashion that undermines respect for authority that derives from the mandate and hence the will of the people!

Philosophically I agree with you .

But this is local government looking for revenue / cost effectively collected .
Rental platforms such as AirBnB , VRBO etc are the low hanging fruit .

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
The only Wyndham resort in PG county is National Harbor. If you never rent there, this doesn’t apply to you.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, as per your logic, owners who book National Harbor who are not deeded at National harbor or CWA, should be taxed! After all, they have no ownership at National Harnor! But they are not taxed! You will have a hard time rationalizing that! But, go ahead, give it a try!:)
No because timeshare exchanges aren't taxed either. A rental is different. The counties want a piece of the pie if you are renting. I am not sure why you can't get your head around that. If you want to lobby more counties to charge occupancy taxes in addition to property taxes on timeshare use and exchanges feel free but the current laws are about the rental of properties including your home (this isn't just a timeshare thing). If you rent nightly accommodations (not gift, not exchange, not stay at your property), you are supposed to collect taxes and send them to the county, either annually, biannually, or quarterly depending on how much business you do. Like I said most statutes that I have seen allow you to rent a few nights before this requirement kicks in. If you rent less than 7 nights per year in PG county you might want to look into the exact wording to see if you can apply to have the money returned.

If you don't want the county to know you are renting (and thus not pay the taxes- much like running a red light when no one is around) then don't rent on a platform where local governments require that platform to pay the taxes. Just like avoiding lights you know have red light cameras.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
People renting for money pay lodging tax on a percentage of that money.

People not renting for money don't.

Doesn't seem complicated to me...

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see $6/1000 figure mentioned on this BBS as a $-to-points equivalency for renting out points. And how it's cheaper to rent from VIP owners in the 60 day window than being a Wyndham owner. I still haven't figured that out!

My december rental will net me ~$600 for 28,000 points. The Airbnb customer is going to get a fantastic deal for his wedding night! That's $21/1000 points! Instead of 1 Bedroom-deluxe I had listed (20,250 points), he is going to get a 2-Bedroom Deluxe with Balcony (1100 sqft). $300 per night at National Harbor is a great deal!
As a noni VIP it makes cents (no pun intended) only if the VIP passes along the 50% discount. What would cost me 200,000 points only costs a VIP 100,000. The math is very simple to understand. You just have to be flexible with your plans and be able to find availability within the 60 day discount window.