• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone gotten a Nexus card?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for the update! We've been Pending Review for a little more than a month now.

It took about nine weeks before both of ours changed from Pending Review to Conditional Approval. Hang in there. When you least expect it, things will change.

Dave

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It took about nine weeks before both of ours changed from Pending Review to Conditional Approval. Hang in there. When you least expect it, things will change.

Dave

Thanks! I was hoping it would be faster and would coincide with a trip to Canada. But I'm going on Monday, so I guess there's not much likelihood it will happen before then. OTOH, last time we went, we breezed through security!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We applied a few weeks ago. For those that have been approved for Nexus, what did you have to do to be eligible for Global Entry? I read that you need to submit your ten finger prints to be eligible? How do you go about doing this?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We applied a few weeks ago. For those that have been approved for Nexus, what did you have to do to be eligible for Global Entry? I read that you need to submit your ten finger prints to be eligible? How do you go about doing this?

During our Nexus interview, they took digital fingerprints and a photo. It was painless. We received our Nexus cards in the mail a week later. We now have Nexus, Global Entry, and TSA Pre-check. It was easy, but took a few months before the process completed.

Dave

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I applied for my Global Entry first and after having it for 4 years I applied for Nexus. So all the stuff was done except the iris scan for my Nexus application. I happened to be going to Canada and got my interview scheduled a week or two out. When I left the office and before I got to my car in the parking garage at Toronto Pearson Airport I received an email confirmation that my application was approved. But I did all the Global Entry stuff a few years earlier. So that is unusual to say the least.

It makes a lot of sense to get a Nexus and you live in the US (especially if you live near the Canadian border and travel there periodically). The MAIN reason is Nexus is $50 for 5 years ( I assume it can be paid in CDN $, but I don't know), AND you get Global Entry for FREE. If you just got Global Entry than the price is $100 for 5 years. But you don't get to expedited into Canada. I am dual Canadian and US citizen and travel back and forth frequently.

If you got your NEXUS I think you just have to apply for and then schedule a interview at the GE location to get your finger print scan done. I assume it should be short and sweet like my GE first then Nexus apps.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We went for our Nexus interview last week and were approved. Not really sure what we experienced meets the definition of an interview, but it was rather painless. Fingerprints and photos taken. We went to Detroit and they don't have an iris camera. We likely won't be flying in or out of Canadian airports where we would need it. Will probably just go to Windsor airport on our next trip through or go to YYZ when visiting my parents the next time.

barto

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here - we were traveling a lot in 2015 but didn't get the card until after the bulk of it was over. The "interview" wasn't much, but we did have to wait a few months for our appointment at the airport. Have used it a couple of times to bypass the longer security lines, but also got to use it in another airport (Calgary?) not long ago for a flight to Victoria... I had my card along but my wife didn't bring hers, since we were traveling with our (young adult) daughter, but they took all 3 of us into the shorter security/scanning line based on just me having my card with me. A nice bonus.

And at the cost, it's not paying a lot for the quicker screening & such. Three thumbs up! :)

Bart

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
When my son had his Nexus interview, we learned an interview wasn't required to get an iris scan. Could have gotten one in advance of the interview. But only certain Nexus interview locations have the iris scanning equipment. Come to think of it, perhaps a Nexus application isn't required either for an iris scan.

I think the interviews are just to confirm no one else has used-stolen your identity, and for them to get your fingerprints. At my border Nexus office, there were so many stand-up interview stations, it was like renewing your license at the DMV!

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Have used it a couple of times to bypass the longer security lines, but also got to use it in another airport (Calgary?) not long ago for a flight to Victoria... I had my card along but my wife didn't bring hers, since we were traveling with our (young adult) daughter, but they took all 3 of us into the shorter security/scanning line based on just me having my card with me. A nice bonus.
Bart

You were lucky with security to let non-nexus holders into the nexus line with you. Technically there is no "family" privilege. It has been hit or miss with the Edmonton airport and Calgary airport - this last week in Edmonton they made me pull out all eight of our nexus cards individually to match them to the boarding passes - other times I've just had to show my own nexus card and everyone else has been let in. Toronto and Vancouver seems to require all family members to have nexus to join the shorter line - I've never gotten an exception there.

Meow

Reaction score
Just for your info. The new 'state-of-the-art' international terminal at Calgary does not provide a separate access for Nexus. Nexus holders have to queue up with the ordinary folk.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just for your info. The new 'state-of-the-art' international terminal at Calgary does not provide a separate access for Nexus. Nexus holders have to queue up with the ordinary folk.

That doesn't make sense..... according to http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/prog/nexus/air-aerien-eng.html they do have Nexus in Calgary. Perhaps it is a timing thing, in that it only operates between certain hours.

I have global entry and nexus and I have never seen it closed. Not sure what is up.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have global entry and nexus and I have never seen it closed. Not sure what is up.
Why would you have both? I have read though the thread over on FlyerTalk where people accidentally renew Global Entry when they get the renewal notice about Nexus. It results in CPB deactivating their Nexus card and they can't renew Nexus until their Nexus was set to expire. No need to have both since Nexus include GE.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why would you have both? I have read though the thread over on FlyerTalk where people accidentally renew Global Entry when they get the renewal notice about Nexus. It results in CPB deactivating their Nexus card and they can't renew Nexus until their Nexus was set to expire. No need to have both since Nexus include GE.

If you get Nexus, they automatically give you Global Entry. So you get both for 1 price.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you get Nexus, they automatically give you Global Entry. So you get both for 1 price.
Yes, I thought you indicated you had active GE card and an active Nexus card at the same time. Apparently it happens and it results in CPB deactivating Nexus.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I had GE. Applied for Nexus when my GE was nearly done. It covered both my GE and Nexus and it was half the cost of GE alone. If you live near canada at all, it is worth getting it. $50 for 5 years.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I had GE. Applied for Nexus when my GE was nearly done. It covered both my GE and Nexus and it was half the cost of GE alone. If you live near canada at all, it is worth getting it. $50 for 5 years.
Already have it, DW and I were approved back in December. I agree, Nexus is a better option than GE if you can make it to an enrollment center.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have our Nexus cards! Now do they only help when you are coming back into the US? We used them when we came back from Canada the last time (right after we passed our interviews).

Are we supposed to be giving our numbers to airlines when we give our passport info?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, be sure to setup your airline profiles to include your KTN. This will be the only way they can match you up to provide TSA Precheck.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, be sure to setup your airline profiles to include your KTN. This will be the only way they can match you up to provide TSA Precheck.

Alas, we are flying with TAP Air Portugal and home with Norwegian. Neither one participates in TSA Precheck.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
On our recent multi-city trip, from Seattle into Denver and out of Phoenix back to Seattle, I made sure to put in our KTN's on both legs of the reservations. We both had TSA Pre-check both ways. If this is how it's supposed to work, I'm glad we got these cards. (And why is the travel cynic in me surprised that things actually worked as they are supposed to. LOL!)

Dave

cd5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc
You can go to the special Nexus line even if you don't have TSA Pre-check (if a Nexus line is provided). I always put my KTN on my reservations anyway. Have your Nexus card out to show the TSA agent. It's very useful to bypass the customs line ups as well.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
You can schedule your appointment yourself on the GOES website. I went to a border crossing in Champlain NY for mine and they are not as busy as the airports so the wait was short.

I know this is an old thread but this was still true this past week!

Also worth mentioning that Champlain still does NOT have the iris scanner BUT we were encouraged to cross the border into Canada as the St. Bernard de Lacolle Border Crossing station does have the Iris scanner equipment there. Took about 5 minutes as there was only one other person in line (of course, YEMV).

Last edited:
Reactions: cd5

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I know this is an old thread but this was still true this past week!

Also worth mentioning that Champlain still does NOT have the iris scanner BUT we were encouraged to cross the border into Canada as the St. Bernard de Lacolle Border Crossing station does have the Iris scanner equipment there. Took about 5 minutes as there was only one other person in line (of course, YEMV).
We have had Nexus for a couple years now and still haven't got an iris scan. The iris scan is only necessary when traveling in to Canada by air and using a Nexus kiosk.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We've used our Nexus cards on 2 trips cross border since we've had them.
DH flunked on fan waving our cards correctly at the scanner coming and going the first trip.
He was holding the wrong end of the cards, with his fingers on the RFID chips.
Border guard had to explain to us how to do it :oops:
We did better the 2nd trip, but I think will forget which end to use by the time we ever do the next trip :D

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
We've used our Nexus cards on 2 trips cross border since we've had them.
DH flunked on fan waving our cards correctly at the scanner coming and going the first trip.
He was holding the wrong end of the cards, with his fingers on the RFID chips.
Border guard had to explain to us how to do it :oops:
We did better the 2nd trip, but I think will forget which end to use by the time we ever do the next trip :D

I can just see the driver of a vehicle with a lot of passengers (all Nexus card holders) appearing to play something like 52 pickup when the fan and spread goes wrong!