• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has anyone noticed a change of attitude at Vistana customer service lately?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have called Vistana several times in the last year. I was really pleased with the service until maybe a couple of months ago. Now they just seem to be less friendly than before and more in a rush. I also noticed the chat option does not seem to work any more, at least the times when i tried it. Has anyone noticed the same or maybe it was just bad luck on my part?

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I have called Vistana several times in the last year. I was really pleased with the service until maybe a couple of months ago. Now they just seem to be less friendly than before and more in a rush. I also noticed the chat option does not seem to work any more, at lease the times when i tried it. Has anyone noticed the same or maybe it was just bad luck on my part?

Yes! I was informed by someone I the know that since the take over many have left and the remaining are somewhat new and don’t know the answers. I had a simple question about star options when selling and they gave incorrect information at first, when I questioned they had to get a manager to clarify then came back with what I think it the right answer. But she wasn’t friendly and was very much matter of fact, with a “too bad for you” tone. Meanwhile I was right. Welcome to Marriott I guess.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I called once and it was quick and efficient. But only called once.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't call often, but I would say service quality has decreased since the buyout. Not they were perfect before, but they were usually friendly, and at least tried to help...

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I cannot book online, so I have to call. I have had good and bad experiences recently, just like always.

Marriott is always really great when I call. They seem to be extremely knowledgeable. I think there is a lot of turnover at Vistana. Maybe that is what needs to change. Maybe they should keep people longer. I do call the Sheraton line, not the Westin.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I cannot book online, so I have to call. I have had good and bad experiences recently, just like always.

Marriott is always really great when I call. They seem to be extremely knowledgeable. I think there is a lot of turnover at Vistana. Maybe that is what needs to change. Maybe they should keep people longer. I do call the Sheraton line, not the Westin.
Yup that’s what I heard as well. A lot of turnover since the buyout.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
I called elite services (888-619-2987) recently and had all my questions answered in a very friendly manner even ones about dilution of Nanea being in "Flex". Supposedly only one buildings worth of home options has been placed in Flex and inventory is supposed to be kept separate preventing the entirety of Flex owners reserving all of the room inventory at Nanea. How they keep Hotel, II, Owners, Flex inventory separate is beyond me. I still have a suspicion the the Hotel side gobbles up highest demand weeks ahead of owners since you can reserve more than 12 months out.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I called elite services (888-619-2987) recently and had all my questions answered in a very friendly manner even ones about dilution of Nanea being in "Flex". Supposedly only one buildings worth of home options has been placed in Flex and inventory is supposed to be kept separate preventing the entirety of Flex owners reserving all of the room inventory at Nanea. How they keep Hotel, II, Owners, Flex inventory separate is beyond me. I still have a suspicion the the Hotel side gobbles up highest demand weeks ahead of owners since you can reserve more than 12 months out.

Actually you are unable to reserve a hotel within the Marriott family more than 12 months out. Prior to the merger of the loyalty programs you could reserve Starwood properties 18 months out but that changed with the merger of the programs in August 2018. But even prior to that, you could not reserve a Vistana property as a hotel more than 12 months out. There was a disclaimer in each of their hotel listings stating this.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually you are unable to reserve a hotel within the Marriott family more than 12 months out. Prior to the merger of the loyalty programs you could reserve Starwood properties 18 months out but that changed with the merger of the programs in August 2018. But even prior to that, you could not reserve a Vistana property as a hotel more than 12 months out. There was a disclaimer in each of their hotel listings stating this.
Even if they do not advertise the units more than a year in advance, it does not mean that the developer cannot book the best weeks earlier and start to advertise and rent them at a later date. I just do not think that a Vistana employee is waiting online at 12AM ET in order to book the developer inventory for the next year. So whether they list them of not, the reality is that they can (and probably do) keep the best weeks for themselves.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
going back to the main topic of the post, now that I think about it, is not that the customer service was not friendly, rather very hesitant. I guess they unified the MVC and Vistana call centers so the reps are less specialized than before. There may also be a learning curve but this gives me hope that they will go back to what I was used to.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the problem is too much turnover after the merger, they probably still have enough experienced reps to keep the elite line staffed.

WahooWah

Reaction score
How is this for customer service? An owner recently purchased an EOY 2BR from another owner with first year of use in 2019 and reimbursed the seller for the 2019 maint. fees. Keep in mind that Vistana reviewed the purchase for right of first refusal and completed the transfer with the understanding that the 2019 use year was transferring to the new owner as well. The seller made a reservation using StarOptions within 8 months of check in before transfer process was complete. The sellers could not put the new owners on the reservation as guests without paying the $59 fee. So, the new owners just waited for transfer to complete and assumed they could change the reservations themselves as new owners. Vistana is telling the new owners that their first year of use is 2021 and that the reservations are still in the sellers' names and can not be changed unless the sellers call and pay the fees.

This is completely antagonistic behavior by Vistana against its paying owners.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
How is this for customer service? An owner recently purchased an EOY 2BR from another owner with first year of use in 2019 and reimbursed the seller for the 2019 maint. fees. Keep in mind that Vistana reviewed the purchase for right of first refusal and completed the transfer with the understanding that the 2019 use year was transferring to the new owner as well. The seller made a reservation using StarOptions within 8 months of check in before transfer process was complete. The sellers could not put the new owners on the reservation as guests without paying the $59 fee. So, the new owners just waited for transfer to complete and assumed they could change the reservations themselves as new owners. Vistana is telling the new owners that their first year of use is 2021 and that the reservations are still in the sellers' names and can not be changed unless the sellers call and pay the fees.

Marriott is doing the transfers now and they dont know the Vistana or Hyatt systems. With Hyatt we had the same issue except we as buyers paid the reservation fees and had the reservation added to the contract. Then when the transfer got messed up we had recource to correct it after about 10 different phone calls and finding the people with authority who cared enough to work with us. Many blew us off but there were still a few folks who worked with us

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Marriott is doing the transfers now and they dont know the Vistana or Hyatt systems. With Hyatt we had the same issue except we as buyers paid the reservation fees and had the reservation added to the contract. Then when the transfer got messed up we had recource to correct it after about 10 different phone calls and finding the people with authority who cared enough to work with us. Many blew us off but there were still a few folks who worked with us
Fact, Marriott is terrible.

Larry315

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have called Vistana several times in the last year. I was really pleased with the service until maybe a couple of months ago. Now they just seem to be less friendly than before and more in a rush. I also noticed the chat option does not seem to work any more, at least the times when i tried it. Has anyone noticed the same or maybe it was just bad luck on my part?

Yesderday, I was on the phone for over 30 minutes with a customer representative and she was patient, answered all my questions, and kind.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Just got off the phone w/ MEmber Services. Unfortunately my issue could not be resolved however was a pleasant not too rushed experience.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Fact, this is opinion.

;)

If we compare legacy Starwood to new Marriott, it is fact new Marriott is terrible. I'm being bonvoyed so often just this year.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Fact, this is opinion.

;)

More of a judgment (generally based on biases derived using low/poor statistics) that often conclude with poor predictions.

...reading The Undoing Project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
More of a judgment (generally based on biases derived using low/poor statistics) that often conclude with poor predictions.

...reading The Undoing Project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fact, people just can’t tell sarcasm. But seriously, Marriott is terrible hah.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If we compare legacy Starwood to new Marriott, it is fact new Marriott is terrible. I'm being bonvoyed so often just this year.
See. You get it! Haha

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Well, my issue was resolved on my 2nd call. Somehow a purchase was given a new account. I was asked if it was a resale account. So must be part of their training to ask. Otherwise, issue will be resolved next week.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Well, my issue was resolved on my 2nd call. Somehow a purchase was given a new account. I was asked if it was a resale account. So must be part of their training to ask. Otherwise, issue will be resolved next week.
Was it a resale purchase? Yeah that’s the problem I foresee with new people. Too much turnover.