TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Have HGVC, thinking of getting RCI points too

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by kevreh, Jul 11, 2018.

1. kevreh

kevreh Guest

It seems like a bit of a hassle to convert HGVC points to RCI. Also heard its not always best to go from HGVC > RCI. Is there a bennefit to just buying RCI? Granted, considering the quality level of Hilton we would probably only want Gold Crown RCI locations.

Anyone else do this, or is it better to just use the RCI exchange from the Hilton site?

2. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

IMO...I don't find RCI resorts to be the same quality as HGVC. If you are fine with 3.5 star quality, then buying RCI points would likely be more cost effective than buying HGVC if that is your goal. Trading RCI back into HGVC or Disney may not be as economical as it was in the past because of the rising exchange and resort fees.

3. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    I don't understand that statement. It's far from being any kind of "hassle." You just find a unit you want, confirm your stay, and poof, the points disappear... It's on a par with booking HGVC and darn near hotel-like booking. One of HGVC's better attributes.

4. kevreh

kevreh Guest

Ok, point taken. Guess the other thing I was wondering was if people coming from the HGVC site have the same access to RCI resorts as people with RCI points and using the RCI portal directly. One quick example, RCI lists a number of the Disney resorts that don't come up when doing a HGVC/RCI search. The only Disney resort that comes up is Saratoga. Is that because Disney isn't sharing them with RCI, or RCI isn't sharing with HGVC?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  5. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Disney isn't depositing many resorts any more. Basically just Saratoga and the odd old key west.

6. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    With any RCI account its best to use Ongoing Search (OGS) if you want the good stuff, online searches are leftovers.

There is a free studio timeshare being given away in Bargain Deals forum right now, low mf and trades with RCI or Interval. IMO it would be a great addition to someone with HGVC only. It would give you access to both of the exchange systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    Now that Disney has started charging non-DVC owners for resort parking, I'm not sure I would book there anyway. I have enjoyed several other RCI exchanges booked thru HGVC -- California, NYC, South Florida, Cancun, Jamaica...

That said, it has been reported that HGVC uses a quality filter of sorts; thus, there are some TS's that show up for RCI members but not HGVC members, and a few omissions reported that ought not to be. So, for that reason alone, there may be some utility in having a separate RCI account.

8. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Are you sure Disney is charging exchangers for parking? I know Disney charges $190 for concierge services, which is not too bad for a one bedroom unit that sleeps four people and gets magic bands and transportation, but I don't see any information on my exchange that states I will be charged for parking.

9. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Unfortunately, I don't think you can add a week to an HGVC membership, so a new RCI membership with all of the fees that entails would be costly.

10. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

If you want access to RCI cash getaways and last minute deals, you can call via the HGVC RCI call center (kind of a pain for search).

or you could pay $99 to join RCI to see these online and simply list your HGVC timeshare on the field that asks for the timeshare. Worth a try. I'll bet RCI will take your money. You can search without depositing I believe.

FWIW...Some bloggers have reported joining RCI and listing an RCI timeshare they don't own in the field to get access to cash reservations. Apparently, RCI doesn't check. I am not advocating this tho. You can list your HGVC because you are a card carrying timeshare owner.

11. Talent312

Resorts Owned:
    There was a whole thread on the subject and I didn't read it to the end.
    Apparently, the bottom line is this:
    "RCI inbound exchanges are NOT charged the parking fee, so it seems
    as though you do not need to be DVC as well to get free parking."

12. Cyberc

Cyberc TUG Member

I own RCI points too and at least to me it’s a great addition to my hgvc membership.

I rarely use my hgvc account to anything in RCI except for hgvc nyc and Disney. Since I just became an owner of West 57 I guess it’s onyl Disney which I will trade into now.

My RCI points account on the other hand is used for a variety of exchanges in Europe etc because it’s a better use and value to us.

Sometimes I also booked Disney with my RCI points as RCI sometimes have a sale so I got away paying approx 35.000 points for a week. That’s approx $200 in MF plus $199 in exchange fees and plus the resort fee of $190. Just shy of $600 for a week that’s a good deal to me.