• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Have you looked at your Exchanges?

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I asked this question on another Thread.

"Has anyone ever listed the number of points needed to get into equal Resorts (using Tug's Resort Numbers) in hard to Exchange locations like Hawaii, average area of the US, and easy locations?"

Both of my Resorts that I trade with are Weeks and Points Resorts. This got me thinking about my recent Week's Exchanges. Since several of the places I exchanged into are also Points Resorts, I could see how the Weeks and Points trade would work out for me.

What I found was rather Surprising

If I had made the Exchange as a Points Exchange, in all cases except a Hawaiian exchange, I would have had some points left over.

Does this mean I will convert to Points? The answer is, No. Why? Because the cost of conversion is too expensive at my Resorts. And I would rather pay for Duel membership in II and RCI and have more Resorts I can exchange into and also have more rentals available to me. This is my way of getting the most bang for the buck.

Walt :)

Last edited:

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Walt said:
I asked this question on another Thread.

"Has anyone ever listed the number of points needed to get into equal Resorts (using Tug's Resort Numbers) in hard to Exchange locations like Hawaii, average area of the US, and easy locations?"

Both of my Resorts that I trade with are Weeks and Points Resorts. This got me thinking about my recent Week's Exchanges. Since several of the places I exchanged into are also Points Resorts, I could see how the Weeks and Points trade would work out for me.

What I found was rather Surprising

If I had made the Exchange as a Points Exchange, in all cases except a Hawaiian exchange, I would have had some points left over.

Does this mean I will convert to Points? The answer is, No. Why? Because the cost of conversion is too expensive at my Resorts. And I would rather pay for Duel membership in II and RCI and have more Resorts I can exchange into and also have rentals available to me. This is my way of getting the most bang for the buck.

Good for you. You evaluated the options and picked the right one for you.

The only other main variable that you didn't account for in your assessment is the availability of those resorts in weeks vs. points. Theoretically, there should be more availability less than 10 months out in the points resorts vs. the weeks part of the same resorts. At least there will be more predictability of the availability in points. Of course, this is only theory until a critical mass of people convert their fixed weeks to points.

By the way, I wouldn't convert weeks into points if it cost more than $500. Anything more than that is a total ripoff.

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually Exchange more than 1 year out.

BocaBum99 said:
Good for you. You evaluated the options and picked the right one for you.

The only other main variable that you didn't account for in your assessment is the availability of those resorts in weeks vs. points. Theoretically, there should be more availability less than 10 months out in the points resorts vs. the weeks part of the same resorts. At least there will be more predictability of the availability in points. Of course, this is only theory until a critical mass of people convert their fixed weeks to points.

By the way, I wouldn't convert weeks into points if it cost more than $500. Anything more than that is a total ripoff.

Hi BocaBum99

Being a self employed Dentist, I have complete control over how many weeks of vacation I want each year and when I want those vacations. But, the one thing I need to do is plan ahead. That is why I exchange most of the time about 1 1/2 years out, give or take a few months.

So the availability of Resorts 10 months out really has no value to me.

Last edited:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratualations to Points for giving you the information to make a reasonable choice with regard to what is best for you.

(... and I have no problem with the choice that you made. I am simply an advocate of timesharing giving the consumer more information. Wouldn't it be nice if the potential buyer in Branson being sold a week in May were told exactly what they could trade for and what they could not? Oh that's right. They are told. "You can trade for anything you like. You have one of the best traders in the world.")

Walt

TUG Member
Reaction score
All Red Weeks are Equal. RIGHT!

Roger said:
Congratualations to Points for giving you the information to make a reasonable choice with regard to what is best for you.

(... and I have no problem with the choice that you made. I am simply an advocate of timesharing giving the consumer more information. Wouldn't it be nice if the potential buyer in Branson being sold a week in May were told exactly what they could trade for and what they could not? Oh that's right. They are told. "You can trade for anything you like. You have one of the best traders in the world.")

I agree.

The one about "All Red Weeks Are Equal" is the biggest lie.