• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hawaii and Oahu Trip

Love2Cats

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC, Massanutten
My wife and I are flying to Hawaii later this month to celebrate our 35th anniversary. Staying at the Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach on the big island the first week (and renting a car for the week to tour the island at less than $300 for a convertible), then flying to Oahu and spending the second week at Hokulani Waikiki by Hilton Grand Vacations in Honolulu the second week (using local transportation rather than car rental, but rethinking that based on recent posts).

Any tips members can provide us for our first visit to paradise would be helpful.

Thanks

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The Big Island is BIG; we underestimated driving times our first trip. The volcano is a long day trip from Waikoloa -- and a very long day trip if you stop at the sights along the route. Even driving from Waikoloa to Hawi takes longer than you think it will.

You will enjoy the convertible.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Put a lot of sunscreen and big hats on in that convertible. You are closer to the equater and the air is cleaner in Hawaii, so it's easy to get a sunburn, because it can seem cool and pleasant, so you don't even realize that you are getting badly burnt.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
On Oahu, if you plan to get out and see the areas away from Honolulu, you'll need a car. Public transportation in the city is fine, but outside of it, there isn't anything reliable. Better to have your own car.

Happy Anniversary! You'll have a fine time.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Relatively speaking the Big Island is Big. Trying to see the whole Island in 1 week will be difficult. From where you are staying visit Mauna Kea. You will need to stop at the Visitor Center for 45 - 60 minutes to get use to the altitude. Also quite often in the late afternoon or early evening they set up telescopes in the Parking Lot for Sky Gazing. Do a day drive up Hwy 270 and then back on Hwy 250. Stop and enjoy the scenery. Drinks and or Dinner at Lava Lava on the Beach. Snorkel with the Mantas with Sea Quest out of Keauhou Bay. They also do day snorkel trips to Captain Cook's and Honaunau (2 Step). Hilo is a fun place for a long day trip.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
A week will go by fast on each island. You may be able to get away with a car rental for a day or two on Oahu if you want to do a few tours that will pick you up. We really loved The Home of the Brave tour that handled everything for the tour of Pearl Harbor. One of the best I’ve been on.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many things to do in Honolulu easily accessible from your hotel without having to pay for a rental and parking in Waikiki for the entire week. Look at the cost of renting for a day or two in the middle + airport transfers vs rental & parking for a week. We've done both...it depends on what you want to see.

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
... Staying at the Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach on the big island the first week (and renting a car for the week to tour the island at less than $300 for a convertible), then flying to Oahu and spending the second week ...
Any tips members can provide us for our first visit to paradise would be helpful.

Thanks
Two weeks on the Big Island :eek:

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
For Oahu and Waikiki area, I recommend the following:
  • Visit Pearl Harbor and its oft-overlooked but very meaningful tour "cousin"--the Punch Bowl Cemetery. It will take you the better part of a day to do both, but it's well worth it in helping you renew your appreciation for the sacrifices made for all of us by The Greatest Generation.
    pearl-harbor-hawaii-hsaq6i9.jpg
  • dscn0159.jpg
  • Be sure to visit Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu, home of the best darn malasadas in the Western Hemisphere. What are malasadas? A Portuguese "donut" that is sooooo much better than a donut. Bet you can't eat just one.
    DSC_6834-002.jpg
  • Go to Hanauma Bay for some awesome snorkeling. The water's warm, the reef is alive and amazing, and the variety of fish and critters is fantastic.
    hanauma-bay-hi-snorkeling.jpg
  • Climb Diamond Head. Go in the morning, before the crowds arrive and it gets too hot. The view from the top is worth the effort!
  • the-view-from-the-top.jpg
  • For a fun splurge, plan a dinner at Hy's Steakhouse in Waikiki. It's not on the beach, but a pleasant walk from your hotel--and the experience is fantastic. Hy's has been around since the end of WWII. The waiters wear black tie and white jacket, the decor is dark wood, and the food and service are outstanding.
    hbs%20hys%202.PNG
  • And, of course, you cannot be in Waikiki without experiencing a Mai Tai--but you need to have one at the Beach Bar under the big Banyan Tree at the venerable Moana Surfrider Hotel. Cheers!
  • mai%20tai_0.jpg

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I second Hy’s Steak House. We went for our 25th anniversary. It was great. Awesome service and food. I had the rack of lamb and it was perfect.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Many will debate who serves the best mai tai. To decide for yourself, do the research and visit 4 of the top contenders. They all have excellent ocean views, which really does affect the quality of the drink.

1) Beach Bar under the big Banyan Tree at the venerable Moana Surfrider Hotel (as mentioned above): http://www.moana-surfrider.com/beachbar
2) Duke's Barefoot Bar at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort: http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/menus/barefoot-bar
3) Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel: https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining/mai-tai-bar/
4) House Without a Key at the Halekulani Hotel: https://www.halekulani.com/dining/house-without-a-key

They all have good mai tais, but House Without a Key is our favorite because of the lovely, relaxing, free hula show every night at 5:30.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Put a lot of sunscreen and big hats on in that convertible. You are closer to the equater and the air is cleaner in Hawaii, so it's easy to get a sunburn, because it can seem cool and pleasant, so you don't even realize that you are getting badly burnt.

Agreed. I would keep the top closed and air conditioner on in the day while driving. Open the top in the evening.

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Others are better help on Oahu. Regarding the BI I too recommend not trying to see everything. I think you are in a great location to access a good part of the island. A lot of what you want, or are able to do depends on your interests and physical condition. My recommendations are based on my likes. I like the outdoors, beaches, snorkeling, hiking, also relaxing drinks, sunset watching etc.

That said, I second going up to Hawi and Pololu Valley hike. Drive from Hawi to Waimea, then circle back to Waikoloa. Another day drive over through Waimea, take in Waipi'o Valley. Hiking down there is much more exercise than Pololu. Then Honoka'a, down the Hamaku'a Highway, Akaka Falls and Hawaiian Tropical Botanical Gardens.

The best way to experience VNP is to stay overnight in Volcano. No timeshares there, so Airbnb or VRBO. Just double book a night. If you do that, you can finish the above drive in Volcano.

If you don't want to double book, but still want to see Volcano NP, then rise as early as you can, drive across Saddle Road to the park. Lots of very interesting things to see, short or longer hikes. Then head back over Saddle Road again to Waikoloa.

The best beaches start in North of the Airport and run up the South Kohala Coast past Waikoloa. The highway doesn't run along the shoreline, so you will need to use a beach map to find them. You said you have a convertible, so I would caution you to only go to beaches that have secure parking.

What I think you shouldn't do is be lured into driving around the island by the southern route. It has the least interesting scenery, and for part the narrowest roads. People often are urged to go that way to see "black sand beach", "green sand beach" and south point. Know that there are black sand beaches all over the island, the green sand beach requires you to leave your car unattended for several hours while you either pay for a ride will illegal businesses or walk. None of the car rental companies cover you while driving to south point or parking to go to the green sand beach. The reason is there are too many breakins. So they just disallow going to the area in total.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If you are retired military or Reserve/Guard there is KMC to stay at in Volcano National Park. Many trips a go a local on Kauai advised us when parking at Beaches, Waterfalls, etc leave nothing in your car and leave it unlocked. Jumping off the Cliff at South Point is fun. There is a ladder to climb back up.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Just returned from a week on each of those islands. If you have a smartphone get the gypsy guide apps. I bought the set for $35. Great investment. It’s like having your own personal tour guide. We found out a lot of really interesting information as we were driving around both islands. We would never have known about turtle beach without the app. Lots of great pointers for places to stop. We hooked my phone up to the car and it just speaks whenever you drive by a trigger point.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
On the big Island- visit Hapuna Beach- not far from where you are staying. Rated one of the best on the world by Conde Nest Magazine.

I second Mauna Kea. There are tours that pick you up at your resort and drive you up there. We went on a sunset/stargazing one- very awesome experience. They provide the parkas- yes- you need them! https://maunakea.com/

And definitely Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. We did it in one day- just left early from the desert area. Quite a drive- but so worth it.

Black Sand beaches and green sand beaches. Cooks Landing. The Petroglyphs.

And this historical site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puʻuhonua_o_Hōnaunau_National_Historical_Park

We did a lot in a week there.

Last edited: