• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HCC Associate vs. PE Premier Preview

vineyarder

Reaction score
Based on what I read about PE they are planning on capping membership for all their clubs. I believe the number was something like 400 members.

That was the original plan, but PE has come to the same conclusion as HCC; more members = more destinations, so they are abolishing the cap.

GOLFNBEACH

Reaction score
I just spoke to PE and there doesn't appear to be any significat limitations (for me) in the premier preview except that they do NOT lock in the price to upgrade in the future. You pay the current rate at the time you want to upgrade less the $50K preview price.

There is no reciprocity.

No Chicago or Miami city properties.

No Christmas or New Years.

LTTravel

Reaction score
I just spoke to PE and there doesn't appear to be any significat limitations (for me) in the premier preview except that they do NOT lock in the price to upgrade in the future. You pay the current rate at the time you want to upgrade less the $50K preview price.

There is no reciprocity.

No Chicago or Miami city properties.

No Christmas or New Years.

I got some membership info that says that they lock in the price for upgrades for one year and there are limitations on city use.

GOLFNBEACH

Reaction score
I got some membership info that says that they lock in the price for upgrades for one year and there are limitations on city use.

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into that as I continue my due diligence.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
when did you get the info LTTravel? if it was by mail, it might have changed - possibly even before they sent it to you - the package ER sent me was VERY outdated. (florida properties they no longer had, and an "upcoming" fiji property that had been cancelled/put on indefinite hold [by developer] a while before)

i would hope that would be more likely than a PE rep giving out bad information.

Last edited:

LTTravel

Reaction score
when did you get the info LTTravel? if it was by mail, it might have changed - possibly even before they sent it to you - the package ER sent me was VERY outdated. (florida properties they no longer had, and an "upcoming" fiji property that had been cancelled/put on indefinite hold [by developer] a while before)

i would hope that would be more likely than a PE rep giving out bad information.

The Premiere Preview Addendum dated 5/07: Up to 12 months to upgrade at current fee. NYC limited to 3 days per year. Peak date, reciprocity and space available are excluded.

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into that as I continue my due diligence.
On the subject of due diligence, thank you all for your very helpful discussion here. We're considering joining trials in both HCC and PE. The 100% return on membership fees for previews/trials really appeals to my penny-pinching nature. However, it's hard for us to get a real idea of many properties and their location from web photos. We like sites on or near water and can't tell from many descriptions (e.g. Florida) which ones actually have water (pool/ beach) adjacent or within a short walk. Would a virtual tour with a sales rep be more helpful??

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
welcome to the forum vivalour :)

canada eh? ;) (my maternal grandmother immigrated from Canada to US)

if you want to join PE trial, you might want to do it before the merger is complete.. even then, they seem to be vague as to whether NEW members will be able to maintain their plans (basically) after the merger is completed. (as CURRENT members will)

as of right now PE's trial is also renewable, while i dont think HCC's is.

Last edited:

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum vivalour :)

canada eh? ;) (my maternal grandmother immigrated from Canada to US)

if you want to join PE trial, you might want to do it before the merger is complete.. even then, they seem to be vague as to whether NEW members will be able to maintain their plans (basically) after the merger is completed. (as CURRENT members will)

as of right now PE's trial is also renewable, while i dont think HCC's is.

Thank you --and most of my relatives also migrated to the US -- too bad for me, eh? According to Jerel Keith of PE, full PE membership costs will be increasing about 30% when the merger goes through, but current terms will be grandfathered if we sign on soon for the preview, including today's membership prices for a year out. Of course, HCC is really appealing because of their low cost of membership/fees (Steamboat Bill almost had me sold) :cheer: but lack of flexibility (7-day rule) is a drawback for us....

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
According to Jerel Keith of PE...current terms will be grandfathered if we sign on soon...including today's membership prices for a year
GREAT news, and a REAL incentive for people considering PE to join NOW.

thanks for that info!

any word on what the new 5 plans for $1MM tier will be like? (nights/pricing)

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

I actually like both HCC and PE. I ultimately joined HCC first and I really like it and am still considering UR/PE, ER, and BH.

I actually reccomend that you join both now as the trial programs are a great deal. Then after one year, decide which club you like best.

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I didn't get any info on the new merged UR/PE structure. I'll add that question to my list. Still waiting for my info package from PE to clear customs. :(

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually like both HCC and PE. I ultimately joined HCC first and I really like it and am still considering UR/PE, ER, and BH.

I actually reccomend that you join both now as the trial programs are a great deal. Then after one year, decide which club you like best.

Agree. May do. Our vacation time is somewhat limited, though, with a pre-teen son in school and dh constantly on call for business crises.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
im not interested in TS at all... i could do official reviews, but i thought my posts on powhatan plantation, HGVC vegas strip, wyndam vegas desert, etc might be helpful enough by themselves.

im really only here for this forum - its another way to keep up on the latest happenings, like LTTravel recently beating helium and sherpa by a mile for example :D and posting what i know as well - like the email from quintess on their new development, which wasnt posted anywhere else that i saw either.

ive also discussed DCs with friends etc. so learning about HCC and PE for example, lets me help others more. as ive already decided theyre not the best fit for me personally.

Last edited:

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
im not interested in TS at all... i could do official reviews, but i thought my posts on powhatan plantation, HGVC vegas strip, wyndam vegas desert, etc might be helpful enough by themselves.

im really only here for this forum - its another way to keep up on the latest happenings, like LTTravel recently beating helium and sherpa by a mile for example :D

We are talking about a $15 membership for a member-supported site that you are learning a great deal from (like the rest of us). I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, but...geez.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
cant you get a lifetime membership for reviews...?

ive contributed to the TS side, and this side. i dont feel the need to pay an annual fee for a membership that is designed to inform/assist TS owners. (among other reasons) i hope im not coming across badly.. that certainly is not my intention. there are also plenty of other people who have thousands of posts (and contributions) and are not TUG members..

Last edited:
S

Steamboat Bill

The fee is optional...but non-members don't get access to the ultra secret forums where the good stuff gets discussed (just kidding). This is simply an online version of "shareware"

----------------------------------------

The TUG BBS is open and free to TUG Members and guests alike. Some features of the bbs may be reserved for TUG members, however. For example, access to specific bbs forums may be reserved for Members . Outside the bbs, there are other sections of the TUG website which are reserved for TUG Members only, such as our written reviews of thousands of timeshare resorts around the world.

The TUG Web site is supported by Members and is run by TUG Volunteers. TUG's minimal membership fee supports TUG operation and pays for the site presence, storage, and other activities. If you are interested in joining TUG to help support this effort, you can do this with a credit card, Paypal etc. Please go to Join TUG to pay for your membership ($15 for the first 12 months, renewal dues is only $10). After enrolling you will be emailed membership information telling you how you may then access TUG members-only features. When you join you may wish to use the name of a TUG Volunteer or other TUG member known to you for reference, as TUG has a small finders fee for referring new members.

vineyarder

Reaction score
Agree. May do. Our vacation time is somewhat limited, though, with a pre-teen son in school and dh constantly on call for business crises.

I agree with Bill; I am a member of PE Platinum, and just joined HCC as a trial... with PE Preview + HCC trial, you are only committing to 3 weeks a year, with 100% refund on both... but if you wait on PE, the 'preview' and/or it sterms may go away (or at least increase by 25 - 30%) after the merger...

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bill; I am a member of PE Platinum, and just joined HCC as a trial... with PE Preview + HCC trial, you are only committing to 3 weeks a year, with 100% refund on both... but if you wait on PE, the 'preview' and/or it sterms may go away (or at least increase by 25 - 30%) after the merger...

Yes, I would like to decide soon. The only trouble with PE is that we don't really know what the merged PE/UR entity will be like. Frankly, the more I think about, the less I want to over-complicate our lives with two clubs at the moment, so am looking carefully at comparisons you and others have made in the threads....As noted many times, this is all about personal preferences.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
hypothetically >

join both, or just PE trial. you would have 1 year to get out of HCC with 100%, VS unlimited time to get out of PE trial with 100%.

HCC trial does not seem to be going away. PE trial definitely COULD be.

Last edited:

vivalour

TUG Member
Reaction score
hypothetically >

join both, or just PE trial. you would have 1 year to get out of HCC with 100%, VS unlimited time to get out of PE trial with 100%.

HCC trial does not seem to be going away. PE trial definitely COULD be.

Good points. Thank you. That means I have to scare up some slush money real quick.

Kagehitokiri

Reaction score
id also clarify whether you can upgrade from trial the same as from full memberships after the merger.

("today's membership prices for a year")

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Excellent point. It should be just valet tip money for anyone looking at DC's! Or is Kage 'just looking' still?

Brian

Hey Kage-

Speaking of joining...isn't it about time you sprung for a TUG membership?

;)

travelguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
PE/UR Annual Fees?

There is a lot of discussion about purchasing a PE membership at the current rate prior to the 30% increase in membership fee that is coming with the PE/UR merger. I would add two points to consider:

1. What will the adjusted Annual Fee be post-merger? Will this also be increased by 30%? And with the vague restrictions (or lack thereof) in the ability of PE/UR to increase the annual fee, where will the annual fees eventually be with both the existing and new PE memberships? When I evaluate DC memberships, I place more emphasis on comparison of annual fees because they contribute much more to the "cost per night" than the lost opportunity cost of membership fees. I would want some guarantees on short-term and long-term annual fees, from both PE & UR, before considering any pre-merger membership.

2. Has anyone done due diligence on the post-merger entity? What assets (cash!) will remain in the company when the dust settles? Is there any leveraging and/or outside financing involved to make this acquisition/merger? Is one party buying out another and where is the money coming from if so? Will one party take their money and go away as a condition of the merger/acquisition and, if so, what type of financial condition does that leave the remaining PE/UR entity in? I find it interesting that this merger/acquisition has been met with open arms as opposed to the skepticism that it would be met with in the business world.

IMHO, anyone considering membership pre-merger MUST find the answer to these questions and many others. In addition, I would want everything guaranteed in WRITING since the person you talk to today may be gone after the merger! :eek: