TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Health Insurance as Employee Benefit

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by b2bailey, Sep 18, 2019.

1. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

DH worked for Cisco for many years and when he retired a couple years ago he got Cisco’s retirement plan after his COBRA expired. The premium is about the same as ACA but coverage is much better. He decided to get out of retirement recently and went back to work for another major Silicon Valley company. Even though we are enrolled in the new insurance plan, we still keep our vision plan from Cisco just so when he finally retires (hopefully soon), we can go back to Cisco’s plan. Once we drop out, we can no longer enroll.

2. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

@VacationForever Sorry for the confusion. It is AB5. It has made national news. They say that other states will follow. Problem is that many of the exception provisions were written so hastily that there are gaping holes such as bookkeepers who don't have a CPA, wine industry, music industry, real-estate appraisers, Ebay sellers may be classified as Ebay employees, independent lab technicians etc. You can see who holds sway with the elected officials based on the exemptions e.g. doctors (AMA) and exotic dancers (!)

The law was originally delayed because the state realized that they would have to put independents that work in state agencies on the payroll costing the state a fortune. LoL...how ironic is that?

To make things worse. Uber has stated that they will ignore the law and they are whom the law was originally targeted.

https://www.latimes.com/california/...-employees0independent-contractors-california

What the Calif legislature doesn't realize is that this creates an incentive to hire fewer workers in state with limited hours to avoid paying benefits, and more workers from out of state. IMO...they are trying to drive a nail with a sledgehammer.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    VacationForever likes this.
  3. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    My health insurance is paid 100% by my employer and I have the opportunity to buy it at a reasonable cost for my spouse.

However, high-deductible HSA-eligible plans are the only options. I picked a PPO version that has a $5000 deductible and max out-of-pocket per family of $7350 per year.

When I had my recent bike crash, my hospital bill alone was $42,000 (excluding the various doctor's fees), so this year I'll be out the full $7350 from my HSA. Kind of sucks but that is modern healthcare.

klpca likes this.
  4. DEScottzz

DEScottzz TUG Member

No, it was after ACA had been in place. I had retiree coverage from the same company until a year ago, and my wife still has it. The big companies all self-insure, and the cost to them of adhering to ACA requirements (like letting kids stay on the coverage until age 26) aren't too costly.

BTW, my wife also worked for a Fortune 500 company. Her company offered very similar coverage, but my company was a bit better, so we went that way.

5. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    Bike crash? I hope that you are ok.

6. klpca

Resorts Owned:
    Btw, I double checked my husband's 2018 W2 and the amount in box DD (employer+employee insurance cost) was actually only $11,500 for Kaiser HMO for the two of us with a very low maximum out of pocket, and low co-pays - so comparable to a gold plan on the Covered Ca exchange. Now I am really mad about the change in our coverage. What could they have possibly found that was cheaper?

7. klpca

Resorts Owned:
    My grandfather sold his clarinet to pay the doctor when my mom was born in the late 1930's. Family lore!

Patri likes this.
  8. heathpack

heathpack Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
    Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
    Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    Yeah mostly better now. I had a concussion and rib fracture. Now I’m just fat and slow.

klpca likes this.
  9. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

That means your share went up 3 times. It does not mean your insurance went up 3x. That is on your company much m ore than the ACA.

LisaH likes this.
  10. mdurette

mdurette Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The only person I have ever come across with 100% paid family health is union and works for a big telephone company.

Personally my share of a family plan through my employer is about $6,500/year. It is a high deductible HMO plan. $2000 deductible per year, but my employer will reimburse the first $1000.

DH is union and works for a municipality. They only offer a PPO, which of course is more money. I would cost us over $11,000 per year to go with his. We will switch over to it in a few years as he can carry the insurance post retirement.

11. joestein

joestein TUG Member

My wife recently started working at UBS. We pay over $11K for medical coverage for a family of 4. That includes a $3K premium because I have access to health insurance at my job (really crappy and expensive).

However, the insurance has a $3500 deductible and we don't get any benefits, even prescription benefits until we spend that amount. At her last job, we had a higher deductible, but prescriptions weren't subject to the deducible.

As my daughters monthly medication costs over $400, we hit it pretty quickly.

So that means that we are spending a minimum of $15K a year on medical, but probably much more than that. We still pay after hitting the deductible, just not 100%. Thankfully, we can afford it, but I am sure there are many families that can not.

That is why we need a single payer system in this country, like Medicare for all.

12. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

... and how do we pay for it?

I will like Medicare negotiated premiums for all. In other words, before one reaches 65, say, at 62...., we can buy into the system and it does not cost Medicare a dime more. Instead of paying $1500 per month in premium as dictated by the insurance company in the private market, it may be $900 per month, negotiated by Medicare with similar negotiated rate to pay doctors. If I can be king for a day...

clifffaith and CalGalTraveler like this.
  13. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

Be careful what you wish for. Medicare is no free lunch...

George

Tia likes this.
  14. joestein

joestein TUG Member

If we had free Medicare::::

Employers would save money on employee health care.
    Employees would save money on their portion of health care.
    Plus there is a huge systematic cost for non-covered people who go to the hospital for a cough or other non-surgical or non-emergency care, which no one ever seems to discuss.

This would have to be offset by a large increase in the Medicare portion of payroll tax. (I would assume still matched by employer).
    Union people or others who pay no portion of their insurance would hate this. So would small business that don't provide any health insurance.
    The question is how much would the additional Medicare tax be vs. the savings on health insurance. Not really sure. There would definitely be some losers and winners when it came to net cost.

However, anyone who needs medical care could get it without worry about the cost.

15. Sugarcubesea

Sugarcubesea TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
    The days of a company providing insurance to employees at no cost are long gone. My company pays 90% of the cost and only aks the employees to pay 10%, which is considered a very healthy and great deal in my industry

16. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

It seems so radical when they mention it, but something has to be done.

17. rapmarks

rapmarks TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Right now we get our health insurance through the state retirement, but we pay for it. Also every working teacher in the state constributes two percent or more of their salary not for their current insurance but to be able to buy this insurance when they retire. But the state wants to stop this program. Right now the courts are not allowing it, but it is something to worry about. Of course this is happening at a stage in our lives when we really need and use the insurance

18. CalGalTraveler

I am wary of medicare for all because there will be too much cost.

I am in favor of the government lowering the Medicare age to 55 since so many people are getting laid off and losing affordable medical coverage by then.

Perhaps they should rescind those broadbase corporate tax cuts they handed out and redirect the rescinded tax savings by only giving them to companies for paying directly for full employee medical care and contributing to a medicare pool instead of stock buybacks and CEO salaries which only enrich the executives. I am not a govt policy wonk but it seems that there are solutions here.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    LisaH likes this.
  19. bluehende

bluehende TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The problem is the high cost of medical care in this country. Other countries pay about half and in general their outcomes are better. Imagine what this country could build with saving half what we spend on health care. The only way at this point I see to save considerable money is for a single payer system. Getting rid of the middle man and the extreme negotiating power would save us a lot of money. Unfortunately like everything these days it has become a political football with the people in power being more intent on using the problem to punish the other side than looking into real ways to lower our costs. If we do not do something we will bankrupt this country as that is one of the main drivers in the federal budget.

20. joestein

joestein TUG Member

Not a bad idea. Of course, easier said than done.

21. joestein

joestein TUG Member

I think it is much more than just a political football. The health insurance and pharmaceutical industries spend 10s of millions annually through lobbyists and contributions. They own both sides. Even though it would be great to cut them out, I don't think it will ever happen. However, we can always dream.

Sugarcubesea and bluehende like this.
  22. Brett

Brett Guest

hospitals, doctors, pharma, insurance companies, - they all pass along a big chunk of our inflated health costs.
    I'd be in favor of a plan to buy in to medicare before age 65 but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

23. bogey21

bogey21 TUG Member

A number of years ago when my Primary Care Physician retired I had to find a new one. When I started inquiring I found that many, if not most, Primary Care Physicians were either not taking Medicare Patients or were not taking any new Medicare Patients. It obviously had to do with the reimbursement rate Medicare pays. The question I pose is where do all the new patients find Doctors if we go to Medicare for All or lower the age for Medicare to 55....

George

mpumilia, Tia and CalGalTraveler like this.
  24. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

When we moved to New Mexico we not only had to find a new doctor, but also one who accepted Medicare. Luckily a doctor that was referred to us by a friend takes everyone. I also needed an OB/GYN. I was told the one I wanted to do to wasn't taking new Medicare patients. I wasn't quite of Medicare age yet so I asked if I was already a patient would they continue to see me after I reached 65. I was told yes. So I made my first appointment with her one month before my 65th birthday and became an established patient. She still sees me. :)

25. CalGalTraveler

Great question. I was told by someone knowledgeable of the industry that employer plans pay 110% while medicare pays 90% to healthcare and that's why medicare for all won't work.

I had a 70 YO friend who received a bill for late stage cancer treatments and surgery with 8 weeks in the hospital due to complications (she's on the mend now). The gross bill was around $450,000. Medicare authorized about $100k as I recall. Her copay in the end was less than $2000 and she didn't have medigap insurance.

I can see why people with poor or no insurance coverage claim bankruptcy.