• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help...how do I avoid Sales Presentation

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Wow that is really low! Too bad you didn't "accidently" cough in that person's face then fake profusely apologize and tell them if they get to their doctor fast enough the doctor may still be able to save their life.

I'm going to assume that guy was either a complete idiot, or he knew he was being lied to, and played along with it. Sometimes you cannot BS a BS'er.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I'm going to assume that guy was either a complete idiot, or he knew he was being lied to, and played along with it. Sometimes you cannot BS a BS'er.

He may have had no idea what tuberculosis even is. Or that it isn't just an old time disease but still very much exits and is taken very seriously. Many people have little to no medical knowledge.

Many times we are so driven in our purpose and getting what we are saying across that we fail to pay attention to what the other person is really saying and don't react the way we should. But some people just have an answer or come back for everything and it never crosses their mind that some things are better left unsaid.

If the person standing in front of him didn't look like they were on death's doorstep he may have felt comfortable suggesting the person enjoy the time they had left. But we all know what the salespeople are like and this comes across as making that person look like he was trying to take advantage of a dying person. Even if the person was lying through their teeth about having TB and the other person suspected it, it still crosses a line and is inappropriate.

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
He may have had no idea what tuberculosis even is. Or that it isn't just an old time disease but still very much exits and is taken very seriously. Many people have little to no medical knowledge.

Many times we are so driven in our purpose and getting what we are saying across that we fail to pay attention to what the other person is really saying and don't react the way we should. But some people just have an answer or come back for everything and it never crosses their mind that some things are better left unsaid.

If the person standing in front of him didn't look like they were on death's doorstep he may have felt comfortable suggesting the person enjoy the time they had left. But we all know what the salespeople are like and this comes across as making that person look like he was trying to take advantage of a dying person. Even if the person was lying through their teeth about having TB and the other person suspected it, it still crosses a line and is inappropriate.

I don’t disagree with that and it’s a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Not that I've tried it but maybe just for a laugh (and the gift), start immediately by saying something like, "Whatever it is you're trying to sell me, great! Let's get the paperwork for me to sign. And make sure that, by law, you include the clear and precise rescission instructions."

Geez! I suggested something like that a few months ago and was told that was the stupidest thing ever posted! My suggestion was to sign as a way of getting out of there when the pressure was becoming unbearable.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geez! I suggested something like that a few months ago and was told that was the stupidest thing ever posted! My suggestion was to sign as a way of getting out of there when the pressure was becoming unbearable.

Hmm. It's too bad that you were berated like that. It was an interesting idea.

My point though was that, if you totally bombarded the sales person at the beginning about rescission and that you imply that you know all the ins and outs of rescission, why the rescission laws exist, that you will have time to read over the contract for a few days without the pressure, etc., then the sales person would hopefully get the idea that (s)he was not going to make a sale that would last beyond the rescission period. Then (s)he maybe would get the idea that it would not be worth the time to get you to buy and, thus, quickly dismiss you.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Hmm. It's too bad that you were berated like that. It was an interesting idea.

My point though was that, if you totally bombarded the sales person at the beginning about rescission and that you imply that you know all the ins and outs of rescission, why the rescission laws exist, that you will have time to read over the contract for a few days without the pressure, etc., then the sales person would hopefully get the idea that (s)he was not going to make a sale that would last beyond the rescission period. Then (s)he maybe would get the idea that it would not be worth the time to get you to buy and, thus, quickly dismiss you.

I think there are quite a few people here who could very credibly pull that off.

mattortiz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked into Smokey Mountain resort yesterday. My approach is that I always let the parking pass people go through their pitch on why I NEED to go to the meeting and then politely decline. Most will keep the conversation moving along too quickly for me to jump in and stop them from wasting their breath. So I'll let em... This guy spat out a lot in a short time: new CEO, no more owners update meetings here, publicly traded, its breakfast from Shoney's... blah blah blah. No thanks!
Usually, I'll say "no thanks" 3-4 times and I NEVER give a specific reason - just a "no thanks, I'm not interested"

He then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't want to be offered to attend these meetings I could request to get on the "DNG" list (Do Not Gift) He even showed me his list with 2-3 people listed as such. Well, to get on said list I had to go upstairs... I don't think I'll do that this week, but thought it was a nice to know option.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just checked into Smokey Mountain resort yesterday. My approach is that I always let the parking pass people go through their pitch on why I NEED to go to the meeting and then politely decline. Most will keep the conversation moving along too quickly for me to jump in and stop them from wasting their breath. So I'll let em... This guy spat out a lot in a short time: new CEO, no more owners update meetings here, publicly traded, its breakfast from Shoney's... blah blah blah. No thanks!
Usually, I'll say "no thanks" 3-4 times and I NEVER give a specific reason - just a "no thanks, I'm not interested"

He then proceeded to tell me that if I didn't want to be offered to attend these meetings I could request to get on the "DNG" list (Do Not Gift) He even showed me his list with 2-3 people listed as such. Well, to get on said list I had to go upstairs... I don't think I'll do that this week, but thought it was a nice to know option.

There's an upstairs at Smoky Mountains? I knew there was a downstairs.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well rescinding doesn't get you out of it.

And going to one 24 hours earlier apparently doesn't either.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I tell them very loudly for all to hear that I will not be harassed and demand my keys and parking passes- only if the parking passes are 'really" required- because in a lot of resorts they are not. I demand the front desk person go get them for me and I am not leaving the line until they do. I don't put up with this bs.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm actually not sure... perhaps I heard him incorrectly...

There are some offices downstairs. I know that because there's a men's room downstairs!

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
Buy a TUG shirt and wear at check in and to sales pres.

I always say no when they call the room a day or so later and sweeten the deal. I’ll go. The more you talk the longer they will keep you if you go.

The last two I went too... They asked me why I came if I did want to buy anything, my reply so you guys would stop calling my room.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
One day when I retire I hope to at least make it a couple years timesharing it maybe not all year long but most of it.

Theses updates can provide almost $500 a month tax free to help with expenses. Just a thought.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I just tell them. I’m on vacation, don’t want to go to meetings, too much like work. I own enough timeshares. Unplug the phones. Don’t answer the door, do not disturb sign on all the time even when we are out. No more presentations thank you!

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
One day when I retire I hope to at least make it a couple years timesharing it maybe not all year long but most of it.

Theses updates can provide almost $500 a month tax free to help with expenses. Just a thought.
My parents own a TS in Cabo. They have developed a cordial relationship with one of the people in the sales center at the resort. The last time we were there vacationing with them, this person told us about someone who had developed a system (and then published a website) explaining how to vacation in Cabo for three (3) months for free and come home with an extra $10K in your pockets...of course, it involved attending many, many sales presentations, but if you are inclined to do it...all the power to you...

Of course, the resorts in Cabo were not pleased and I am not sure how they got the website down, but they eventually did...

Cheers!

ziravan

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Cypress Palms, I casually said no three times, pointedly the 4th. By that time, two people were waiting behind me.

5th time, “if you don’t just give me my parking pass and stop asking, I’m going to tell the people behind me how they can save thousands buying off of eBay.”

~~ “Well. You don’t have to be rude about it.”

Me: “Apparently. I. Do.”

(And the first thing I always do in a timeshare is unplug the phones.)

Last edited:

gwynhyvar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA (San Diego RARP)
Waikiki Beach Walk
I second unplugging the phones. That said, I was just in Hawaii @ Waikiki Beach Walk, and they were pretty cool about "no." Maybe it's just the Island way. Funnily enough, I *did* attend an owner update, and learned some neat stuff that was new to me. Didn't buy/upgrade anything, but took advantage of the discount for an excursion and got a few Wyndham Rewards points.

linpat

TUG Member
Reaction score
The parking pass guy at Governor’s Green keep pushing me to agree to an “update”. I finally looked him straight in the eye and told him that I’d been up since 2:30 that morning so I could catch my early flight. It was now 5 in the afternoon - did he REALLY want to pursue the topic? I got my parking pass and unplugged the phone as soon as i got in the unit.

My favorite was the one who commented that they had my landline number but didn’t seem to have my cell number...and waited... i just smiled at him and said “No you don’t, do you?” He got the point.

DaveHenry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since they didn't keep their commitment last time, simply tell them that Wyndham lied to you last time and didn't give you what they promised. So you're not attending anything based on Wyndham promises.

DRIless

Reaction score
Is there any way to get on a list where Wyndham does not pressure you into attending the their presentation? We are in Atlantic City at the Sky Tower, we refused the presentation and were unfortunately convinced to have a survey done in our room, which happened today. 15 minutes turned into much longer. We were told they would comp the parking for the 3 days we are here. When i went to get the parking validated, I was told they were closed and would have to come back in the morning when the person was there who provided the gifts was in. We check out tomorrow, so I will just pay the parking. Next month we are staying at the National Harbor for a week and I don't want to go through this again. How do I get the wristbands or whatever I need when I check in and avoid this sales crap? Any suggestions?
It's entirely YOUR OWN FAULT.
NO is a short and easy word to say with distinct meaning.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Buy and wear the TUG T-shirt as you check in.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Told the parking pass people that I had a terrible experience last year. They asked if it was a certain person by name. It was. They said they couldn't believe he still has a job. So my poor experience got me out of any hard press this year at least.

DRIless

Reaction score
Told the parking pass people that I had a terrible experience last year. They asked if it was a certain person by name. It was. They said they couldn't believe he still has a job. So my poor experience got me out of any hard press this year at least.
Just say NO is even much simpler.