• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help! I am a newbie and don't know where to start! [Grandview, Las Vegas]

AnnieBannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am from Canada and seen a post for a Timeshare at Grandview Las Vegas. The information the seller provided is that they own week 50 and that I would be buying the land title which they say can be used life long and passed down to my kids. It’s 7 nights in a 1 bedroom.
There are $417usd maintenance fees every year. They also have 90,000 points they would give us. The price is 8,000 CAD. I have looked on this site and now see that I can get a much better price, I think? I have no idea about these points? Also, if I was to purchase a Timeshare I would prefer a 2 bedroom for family/friends. But if the price was right, I would definitely purchase a 1 bedroom :). If I was interested in an ad posted on Tug, what do I need to think about if I am Canadian and purchasing from an American owner other than currency conversion? Sorry this is long and so many questions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Week 50 is mid-Dec. and that's an off-season week. Also, the price is too high. There are tons of cheap and free timeshares out there - take your time and don't rush into a purchase.

Have you seen our forum where Tuggers give away timeshares for FREE? BARGAIN DEALS

AnnieBannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have looked but I just don't know what is safe to purchase. Time shares just seems so complicated. Are they all legit sales?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Yes, I have looked but I just don't know what is safe to purchase. Time shares just seems so complicated. Are they all legit sales?

First off, $8,000 CAD is way too much for that unit. You can get 2 bedroom in red season for less, much less. If you have any questions at all, DO NOT BUY. You will be on the hook for maintenance fees for as long as you own it. Some timeshares are much better to purchase than others.

Take some time and think about how you vacation and what you want out of your timeshare. Explore the different forums here on Tug, especially the system based forums (HGVC, Marriott, etc.). Learn as much about timesharing, ask questions here on Tug and even rent before you buy. This Newbie forum has a survey you can take and that can start you on your path to TS ownership. Just copy the questions into a new thread and answer!

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If your goal is hosting family and friends, Grandview L.V. AS LONG AS IT's in RCI POINTS is not a bad deal. If you have Points, the underlying week is not a big deal, as your use is an either/or deal. You use the week OR you go somewhere else on the Points.

It is not difficult for Canadians to buy- or pay for U.S. timeshares. Your bank can easily make payments in either currency.

Stick around TUG. Learn BEFORE you buy! Be an informed consumer. Those low prices aren't going anywhere.

We always suggest you rent a few times in different systems to get a 'feel' for the differences.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

AnnieBannie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Lots of great advice. I have lots to learn but will take my time and get educated. And visiting a couple of the resorts is a great idea.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

That's the thing - they aren't "sales" at all - the owners are giving them away for free. That doesn't meant that every one is a good fit for you, so before you acquire a timeshare, free or otherwise, you should do your homework.

As mentioned about - do the survey: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/what-to-buy-questions-for-newbies.208742/