• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] Help me pick my Waikoloa location

mapsd

Reaction score
We are planning to visit HGVC Waikoloa in June as part of their intro package.
Our plan is to visit in mid June, 2018 and stay in a 2 bedroom unit.
It looks like there are several buildings on site and I'm wondering which I should request?

We're not golfers, and more interested in having a newer room with close access.
What building will give us the best views.

Hoping someone can give me a specific room request to make prior to booking.

Thanks

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Which one? Kingsland? Kohala Suites? Bay Club?

mapsd

Reaction score
King's Land, Kohala Suites, Bay Club.
Which of these is nicer/newer/better location?

bagabonz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Club Waikoloa
Kingsland is newer. Bay Club units are bigger and have large lanais. Kingland has bigger nicer pools. Bay Club and Kohala are less crowded.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Kingsland is newer. Bay Club units are bigger and have large lanais. Kingland has bigger nicer pools. Bay Club and Kohala are less crowded.
Also Kingsland and Kohala Suites also give you the right to use the pools at the Hilton Waikoloa. Bay Club does not (although I think you can pay for a day pass). Using the pools there is not a priority for us. We stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa overnight some years back. After a couple of hours at the pools my daughters wer bored. It's also VERY crowded.

I'm not sure any of them is any better in terms of views. You won't have an ocean view from any. We have stayed at the Bay Club and Kohala Suites. In terms of location and unites I prefer the Bay Club. Bay Club units are larger and the location is "better" in that it is closer to the Hilton Waikoloa and the ocean. Kingsland is closer to the highway, and I think the units are the smallest of the three properties.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Did they give you a choice? If you purchased an Intro. Pkg., I'm not sure you will be able to choose the property - usually that is their decision.

We are planning to visit HGVC Waikoloa in June as part of their intro package.

mapsd

Reaction score
Did they give you a choice? If you purchased an Intro. Pkg., I'm not sure you will be able to choose the property - usually that is their decision.
They are guaranteeing that I will get a 2 BR & all properties are eligible.
Hoping with a little flexibility, I can get the location of our choice.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The definitely Kingsland, unless you strongly prefer a smaller/quieter resort (with fewer amenities.) None of these resorts have ocean views.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The definitely Kingsland, unless you strongly prefer a smaller/quieter resort (with fewer amenities.) None of these resorts have ocean views.
Just curious why you say Kingsland Denise. Is that just because it's the newest? Or because it has the fancy pools?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
New, fancy, and more amenities for kids. (Not sure if the OP has kids?)

But personally, I'd probably go for Bay Club or Kohala, because we like it quieter.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
New, fancy, and more amenities for kids. (Not sure if the OP has kids?)

But personally, I'd probably go for Bay Club or Kohala, because we like it quieter.
Of the three we've never stayed at Kingland. And to be honest I really have no desire to. We don't travel with young kids and the quieter, larger Bay Club units appeal to us the most.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are actually planning trip to the BI - in a year or so, and I am trying to make this decision now. I'm torn between larger unit and access to [the hotel.] Although, in reality, we will probably just want to walk through [the hotel] and gawk - we have a pool at home, so in Hawaii we are beach people.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We are actually planning trip to the BI - in a year or so, and I am trying to make this decision now. I'm torn between larger unit and access to Kingsland. Although, in reality, we will probably just want to walk through Kingsland and gawk - we have a pool at home, so in Hawaii we are beach people.
We are beach people too. Sometimes, when the kids were little, we'd spend some time in the afternoon at the pool. And on our last trip to the Big Island when we stayed at Kohala Suites we ended up spending more time at the pool than usual. I don't remember why.

We didn't even go over and look at Kingsland last time we were on the Big Island. We do always go over to the Hilton Waikoloa and walk around. Well to be honest, it's our morning walk to walk over there and get coffee. Walking the grounds is free to everyone, it's just the access to the pools that is included only to Kingsland and Kohala Suites (and we never took advantage of the pools on our last trip).

Denise, I've forgotten, you've been to the Big Island before haven't you? If not, just a beach tip. We love Hapuna Beach, which is a bit north of the Waikoloa Resort area. They do charge $5 for parking now, but on Sunday there was no one there to collect money so it appeared to be free.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have been to the Big Island, and we really enjoyed it. Last time we stayed in Kona for 2 weeks, and this time we wanted to try Waikoloa. On our last trip we spent a day in Waikoloa, walked through the resorts, and went to the beach, but not sure which beach.

*I edited my post above - I wrote "Kingsland," but I meant the hotel.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We have been to the Big Island, and we really enjoyed it. Last time we stayed in Kona for 2 weeks, and this time we wanted to try Waikoloa. On our last trip we spent a day in Waikoloa, walked through the resorts, and went to the beach, but not sure which beach.

*I edited my post above - I wrote "Kingsland," but I meant the hotel.
Waikoloa is a great spot to tour the northern end of the island, Hawi, Waimea. Not as many restaurants as Kona, but still some good ones.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I agree with the Kings Land recommendation. Not sure which into package you purchased, but i would be surprised if you could truly chose any resort. They are still building and actively selling Kings Land, so its almost certain to be eligible. We stayed at Kings Land on a VIP package earlier this year.

mapsd

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies!
Always amazed at how fast and accurate of responses I get on these sites.

Booked this afternoon for a 2 BR condo at King's Land. $199/night. Free car rental and parking, 15K Hilton points, and $200 Hilton voucher for future use.
Bay Club was not available for our dates, but we tend to prefer newer properties.
Will have to take the obligatory tour, but seems like a good deal and an easy way to visit Hawaii for the first time!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Booked this afternoon for a 2 BR condo at King's Land. $199/night. Free car rental and parking, 15K Hilton points, and $200 Hilton voucher for future use.
Bay Club was not available for our dates, but we tend to prefer newer properties.
Will have to take the obligatory tour, but seems like a good deal and an easy way to visit Hawaii for the first time!
Enjoy your stay!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

That sounds great,, enjoy the Big Island, its one of my favorite places!.

If I have time, i always like to check out the the other nearby resorts.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of the three we've never stayed at Kingland. And to be honest I really have no desire to. We don't travel with young kids and the quieter, larger Bay Club units appeal to us the most.

This is us. We've only stayed at Bay Club and will do Kohala for Thanksgiving. We run by Kingsland daily and it just looks so big, sprawling and unappealing. Also no desire to stay there. And they charge more points...

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of main complaints about HGVC is that they tend to build multiple resorts in the same location. In the case of Waikaloa, each of the resorts have a different feel from the other, which means you can choose the resort the best suits you style.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of main complaints about HGVC is that they tend to build multiple resorts in the same location. In the case of Waikaloa, each of the resorts have a different feel from the other, which means you can choose the resort the best suits you style.

Wait, but not in Vegas...um...never mind :)

We have only stayed at Bay Club a number of times. In November we'll be at Kohala. Do they have that different a feel? We've wandered around both, used the pools (and, more importantly, pool bars) at both and, while the pools and amenities are different, I didn't feel it was substantial. Also, since they're on the same property, I felt that, from that standpoint, staying at either was staying at both. Is the room experience much different?

Cheers.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
brp - Did you see the link in post #3 - more good info there.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
brp - Did you see the link in post #3 - more good info there.

Thanks Denise. I had seen it when reading the thread earlier (seems I even participated in that older thread) and neglected to look back before positing the question today :)

Cheers.