TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Help me understand...bought Grand Islander from tour...

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by G33KIDAD, Sep 29, 2019.

1. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    I gave you bad information on PH bookings, it only applies to Open Season. If you can find a unit available in club season you should be able to book it.

From the Club Rules:

The Open Season Reservation Window for penthouse accommodations at GW Vacations Suites (also known as Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations Club) and GI Vacations Suites is limited to owners of penthouse units at each respective resort and the two night minimum booking does not apply .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2. Anthony Schmid

Anthony Schmid TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch
  3. Sky313

Sky313 TUG Member

Not sure if it's a great idea to post all the prices on Facebook groups. The more people who get elite status or elite premiere status through Scotland may mean HGVC will shut it down. I hope they don't retroactively take away elite privileges either.

4. Anthony Schmid

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch
    Roughly 15 - 20 % of Scotland owners are with HGVC. The other 80% use their fixed week. Hilton did say they want more owners to join HGVC for the inventory. This also is similar to the Florida - Gulf properties, where it is almost impossible to get in their because of the same reason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

5. Sky313

Sky313 TUG Member

Yes I understand that. Are you sure elite status (gained from Scotland resales) will be grandfathered in if they decide to block Scotland resales for counting toward elite status in the future? I don't see the reason for telling all the owner updates sales people this either. It's like bringing unnecessary attention.

From what I gathered from old posts, this idea of resales counting for elite status was nicked for US properties even from authorized resales agents. Some folks had difficulty maintaining their elite status that they formerly had. Of course correct me if I'm wrong.

6. brp

brp TUG Member

Facebook is not a good idea, period.

Cheers.

7. Anthony Schmid

Resorts Owned:
    There are many people who want to sell their timeshare. Where would you goto?

8. Sky313

Sky313 TUG Member

If you instant message individuals specifically I think that is fine. Are we talking about educating people on loopholes to get elite or reselling. Those are 2 different things. I'm all for giving info on reselling and renting.

9. brp

brp TUG Member

A reputable timeshare broker. Certainly not Facebook.

Cheers.

10. Anthony Schmid

Resorts Owned:
    That's cool. Facebook probably sells more timeshares.

11. brp

brp TUG Member

Cool. Wouldn't know. Have never had a Facebook account. Good for them.

Cheers.

12. alwysonvac

alwysonvac Sighting Expert TUG Lifetime Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark,
    HGVC (Oahu & Vegas),
    VISTANA Mandatory (Orlando & Scottsdale)

Bought and sold several over the years including Disney & Four Seasons
  13. Hobokie

Hobokie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
    @CalGalTraveler, can you expand on what this means? I own at elara (platinum studio plus, 3500 annual pts) and am a little nervous about this Apollo/Diamond purchase situation...

14. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I have heard that Elara is not HGVC developed (it was developed by Westgate) so it could not be traded-in similar to GI which was developed by a third party but managed by HTVC. OTOH this may be old info as I heard that Blackstone and HGVC bought this out so perhaps it is now accepted for trade-ins?

I am still pondering whether it is better to own an affiliate or better to stick with HGVC developed resorts with the rumored Apollo/Diamond change.

(IMO Elara is my favorite HGVC Vegas resort.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    Hobokie likes this.
  15. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    When HGV and Blackstone bought out the other partners, they announced the had formed a new joint venture to make the purchase. That joint venture in turn pays HGV to manage resort and sell the units. While I don't have first hand experience, but based on what i have heard in the Facebook groups, i think you can trade an Elara unit in if your upgrading to a higher point Elara unit, but you can't trade it in for a different resort.

Hobokie, dayooper and CalGalTraveler like this.
  16. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC at The Flamingo
    This is how I understand it as well.

Hobokie and 1Kflyerguy like this.
  17. mcsteve

mcsteve TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
    Southwind by Spinnaker - HHI
    Egret Point by Spinnaker - HHI
    Vacation Village @ Weston
    As an owner at HGVC Elara, that is what I have been told at “owner update” presentations.

Hobokie likes this.
  18. Hobokie

Hobokie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
    @CalGalTraveler @dayooper & @1Kflyerguy, what would you see as the benefits of one over the other (affiliate vs HGVC developed) should the Apollo buyout rumors turn out to be true? Thanks in advance!

19. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

@Hobokie For certain of the Florida Gulf resorts, Pacific Palisades which are owned by another TS company and certain other affiliates my perception is that their boards run more independently and HGVC has less control so Apollo/Diamond cannot cannot swoop in and raise maintenance fees easily if they acquire HGVC.

Hobokie likes this.
  20. SmithOp

SmithOp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 14.4K Points.
    I hate to keep fueling the speculation fire but HGV can certainly increase management fees, which will leave the affiliates with a decision to stay or get a new mgt company in. We know Apollo/Diamond charges higher fees, and we know HGV has a penchant for raising fees every year. These fees are all separate from maintenance fees, but could spur a change.

Check out the discussions on Kauai Beach Villas, they are changing management companies from Grand Pacific to Wyndham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hobokie likes this.
  21. Bmoe

Bmoe Guest

Can someone confirm this? I was under impression as well that as of 2019 only property bought direct from HGVC counted towards Elite status

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

22. Anthony Schmid

Resorts Owned:
    Yes. This is correct.

23. GT75

GT75 Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC-x7
    Yes, if you use the HGVC agent. It will not count if you go through someone else.

24. 1Kflyerguy

1Kflyerguy TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Kings Land, Marriott Destination Club Points
    I don't have a strong feeling for owning at an affiliate vs developed resort with regards to a possible buyout. There are so many unknowns, that i would not take any action one way or the other.

I read last week that HGV reported "strong interest" from potential investors. Its really hard to predict how any investor or merger will change things.

Hobokie likes this.