• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help me understand...bought Grand Islander from tour...

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thank you all for the quick replies! You have helped tremendously with what the next steps should be.

I have already faxed the cancellation and will be sending it via mail as well.

We will be pursuing the Scotland options that were recommended here, so thank you for the contact information as well.

The only remaining question I need to find the answer to now, is what was mentioned about not being able to book the PH at GI without owning one. Nothing of that was mentioned when we purchased, however that doesn't mean that it is not true. We did bring this up multiple times about wanting to stay in the PH, so they were given multiple opportunities to admit that caveat.

Thanks again to Anthony, and the others of you that supported the needed direction and feedback!

I gave you bad information on PH bookings, it only applies to Open Season. If you can find a unit available in club season you should be able to book it.

From the Club Rules:

The Open Season Reservation Window for penthouse accommodations at GW Vacations Suites (also known as Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations Club) and GI Vacations Suites is limited to owners of penthouse units at each respective resort and the two night minimum booking does not apply .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's a great idea to post all the prices on Facebook groups. The more people who get elite status or elite premiere status through Scotland may mean HGVC will shut it down. I hope they don't retroactively take away elite privileges either.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
Not sure if it's a great idea to post all the prices on Facebook groups. The more people who get elite status or elite premiere status through Scotland may mean HGVC will shut it down. I hope they don't retroactively take away elite privileges either.
Roughly 15 - 20 % of Scotland owners are with HGVC. The other 80% use their fixed week. Hilton did say they want more owners to join HGVC for the inventory. This also is similar to the Florida - Gulf properties, where it is almost impossible to get in their because of the same reason

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
Roughly 15 - 20 % of Scotland owners are with HGVC. The other 80% use their fixed week. Hilton did say they want more owners to join HGVC for the inventory. This also is similar to the Florida - Gulf properties, where it is almost impossible to get in their because of the same reason

Yes I understand that. Are you sure elite status (gained from Scotland resales) will be grandfathered in if they decide to block Scotland resales for counting toward elite status in the future? I don't see the reason for telling all the owner updates sales people this either. It's like bringing unnecessary attention.

From what I gathered from old posts, this idea of resales counting for elite status was nicked for US properties even from authorized resales agents. Some folks had difficulty maintaining their elite status that they formerly had. Of course correct me if I'm wrong.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Facebook is not a good idea, period.

Cheers.
There are many people who want to sell their timeshare. Where would you goto?

Sky313

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you instant message individuals specifically I think that is fine. Are we talking about educating people on loopholes to get elite or reselling. Those are 2 different things. I'm all for giving info on reselling and renting.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A reputable timeshare broker. Certainly not Facebook.

Cheers.
That's cool. Facebook probably sells more timeshares.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@CalGalTraveler, can you expand on what this means? I own at elara (platinum studio plus, 3500 annual pts) and am a little nervous about this Apollo/Diamond purchase situation...

I have heard that Elara is not HGVC developed (it was developed by Westgate) so it could not be traded-in similar to GI which was developed by a third party but managed by HTVC. OTOH this may be old info as I heard that Blackstone and HGVC bought this out so perhaps it is now accepted for trade-ins?

I am still pondering whether it is better to own an affiliate or better to stick with HGVC developed resorts with the rumored Apollo/Diamond change.

(IMO Elara is my favorite HGVC Vegas resort.)

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have heard that Elara is not HGVC developed (it was developed by Westgate) so it could not be traded-in similar to GI which was developed by a third party but managed by HTVC. OTOH this may be old info as I heard that Blackstone and HGVC bought this out so perhaps it is now accepted for trade-ins?

I am still pondering whether it is better to own an affiliate or better to stick with HGVC developed resorts with the rumored Apollo/Diamond change.

(IMO Elara is my favorite HGVC Vegas resort.)

When HGV and Blackstone bought out the other partners, they announced the had formed a new joint venture to make the purchase. That joint venture in turn pays HGV to manage resort and sell the units. While I don't have first hand experience, but based on what i have heard in the Facebook groups, i think you can trade an Elara unit in if your upgrading to a higher point Elara unit, but you can't trade it in for a different resort.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
When HGV and Blackstone bought out the other partners, they announced the had formed a new joint venture to make the purchase. That joint venture in turn pays HGV to manage resort and sell the units. While I don't have first hand experience, but based on what i have heard in the Facebook groups, i think you can trade an Elara unit in if your upgrading to a higher point Elara unit, but you can't trade it in for a different resort.

This is how I understand it as well.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
As an owner at HGVC Elara, that is what I have been told at “owner update” presentations.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@CalGalTraveler @dayooper & @1Kflyerguy, what would you see as the benefits of one over the other (affiliate vs HGVC developed) should the Apollo buyout rumors turn out to be true? Thanks in advance!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Hobokie For certain of the Florida Gulf resorts, Pacific Palisades which are owned by another TS company and certain other affiliates my perception is that their boards run more independently and HGVC has less control so Apollo/Diamond cannot cannot swoop in and raise maintenance fees easily if they acquire HGVC.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
@Hobokie For certain of the Florida Gulf resorts, Pacific Palisades which are owned by another TS company and certain other affiliates my perception is that their boards run more independently and HGVC has less control so Apollo/Diamond cannot cannot swoop in and raise maintenance fees easily if they acquire HGVC.

I hate to keep fueling the speculation fire but HGV can certainly increase management fees, which will leave the affiliates with a decision to stay or get a new mgt company in. We know Apollo/Diamond charges higher fees, and we know HGV has a penchant for raising fees every year. These fees are all separate from maintenance fees, but could spur a change.

Check out the discussions on Kauai Beach Villas, they are changing management companies from Grand Pacific to Wyndham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bmoe

Reaction score
Yes I understand that. Are you sure elite status (gained from Scotland resales) will be grandfathered in if they decide to block Scotland resales for counting toward elite status in the future? I don't see the reason for telling all the owner updates sales people this either. It's like bringing unnecessary attention.

From what I gathered from old posts, this idea of resales counting for elite status was nicked for US properties even from authorized resales agents. Some folks had difficulty maintaining their elite status that they formerly had. Of course correct me if I'm wrong.
Can someone confirm this? I was under impression as well that as of 2019 only property bought direct from HGVC counted towards Elite status

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can someone confirm this? I was under impression as well that as of 2019 only property bought direct from HGVC counted towards Elite status

Yes. This is correct.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Can someone confirm this? I was under impression as well that as of 2019 only property bought direct from HGVC counted towards

Yes, if you use the HGVC agent. It will not count if you go through someone else.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
@CalGalTraveler @dayooper & @1Kflyerguy, what would you see as the benefits of one over the other (affiliate vs HGVC developed) should the Apollo buyout rumors turn out to be true? Thanks in advance!

I don't have a strong feeling for owning at an affiliate vs developed resort with regards to a possible buyout. There are so many unknowns, that i would not take any action one way or the other.

I read last week that HGV reported "strong interest" from potential investors. Its really hard to predict how any investor or merger will change things.