• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with Expiring Marriott Deposit in II

dmorea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My deposit expires the first week in July. I have had an ongoing search for travel in May/ June for quite some time and just recently gave up and planned my trip without a timeshare stay.

I do not need to travel again before my deposit expires. Is there any difference in my position with Interval if I extend now or wait until time runs up ?

Is it best to extend right away or just wait till I have need to use it. How long will it show that I can extend it ?

Also I have paid an exchange fee, if I cancel the request I assume I get that fee back?
Then that fee in essence pays for the extension?

Any other thoughts to get some usage from the week?

Thanks in advance !

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
You get your exchange fee back when no match occurs.

You can extend your expiration date for three, six, or 12 months by purchasing a deposit extension or by contacting member services. I think 12 months will cost $99.

You can extend your Request Window only once and your week will be treated as a Flex Deposit.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You are getting close to flexchange with this deposit (59 days before check-in date, which is sometime first week in May.) By 60 days before your deposit's check-in date, trade into the absolute latest week you can, anyplace (Orlando / Las Vegas / Palm Springs / Phoenix) and buy the E-plus (retrade feature) for $59. Immediately retrade to the farthest week out you can (late June / early July 2019). You are left with 2 retrades to get a week you can actually travel on.

What were you searching for that didn't match?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You are getting close to flexchange with this deposit (59 days before check-in date, which is sometime first week in May.) By 60 days before your deposit's check-in date, trade into the absolute latest week you can, anyplace (Orlando / Las Vegas / Palm Springs / Phoenix) and buy the E-plus (retrade feature) for $59. Immediately retrade to the farthest week out you can (late June / early July 2019). You are left with 2 retrades to get a week you can actually travel on.

^^ This!

You didn't specify if your week is enrolled. If so, you must have included some non Marriott's in your search? If so, first cancel your OGS to get a refund of the exchange fee. Then do a Marriott to Marriott trade for as far out as possible (July 2018). Add EPlus and it will allow you to do up to three retrades for up to a year beyond your confirmed trade. Retrade again right away for a year out. . Be sure to do any further retrades before the 60 day mark of your confirmed exchange or you will be in the flexchange restriction.

If your week is not enrolled, you can just confirm an exchange and the fee you paid will still apply. Of course if you included any non Marriott resorts in your search, you probably want to cancel and do the new trade Marriott to Marriott to get the discount. They will refund the full trade fee then you will pay the discounted fee to do the new trade. Add EPlus as above.

The problem with extending deposits is you pay a big fee to end up with a flextrade restricted deposit. Extended deposits are restricted to exchanges within 60 days. In other words, they suck. You are far better going the EPlus route.

Don't delay, do this today. You don't want to get in to the situation where you are within 60 days of the expiration of your deposit. By using EPlus as above, you will have two additional retrades that you can pull to get where and when you really want to go. The only limitation is that you can't place any OGS against an EPlus retrade.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I agree with this strategy, if you think that it'll work for you. As an example, in July of 2017, I was able to make a reservation for Dec. of 2018 (Marriott's Grand Residences in Lake Tahoe), which I used as a place holder. By purchasing E-plus, I now have until Dec. of 2019 to make my trades, which I plan on using for next summer at another location. Of interest to you might be that this morning I saw that the Kona Coast Resorts on the Big Island of Hawaii had availability for Dec. of 2019. If you book that and purchase E-plus, you would then have until December of 2020 to use up your trades! I'm sure that you'll remember that you'll need to do manual searches for your trades, since you cannot place an OGS with E-plus. Good luck with whatever decision you make!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree with this strategy, if you think that it'll work for you. As an example, in July of 2017, I was able to make a reservation for Dec. of 2018 (Marriott's Grand Residences in Lake Tahoe), which I used as a place holder. By purchasing E-plus, I now have until Dec. of 2019 to make my trades, which I plan on using for next summer at another location. Of interest to you might be that this morning I saw that the Kona Coast Resorts on the Big Island of Hawaii had availability for Dec. of 2019. If you book that and purchase E-plus, you would then have until December of 2020 to use up your trades! I'm sure that you'll remember that you'll need to do manual searches for your trades, since you cannot place an OGS with E-plus. Good luck with whatever decision you make!
The problem with this is that their current deposit expires this July. So they can only make their first trade as far out as July 2018. Any retrade can only be made for as far out as July 2019. They won't be able to get out to 2020. Still the right strategy, just can't get out more than a year beyond July 2019.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem with this is that their current deposit expires this July. So they can only make their first trade as far out as July 2018. Any retrade can only be made for as far out as July 2019. They won't be able to get out to 2020. Still the right strategy, just can't get out more than a year beyond July 2019.
Ah, now I see the difference between my deposit and the OP's. If the OP gets to July 2019, can he then pay to extend, or can you only extend an original deposit? Thanks for the clarification!

dmorea

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you
I was mostly searching for May and /June Portugal and Ireland . I put the request in about a year out.

dmorea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input . I am not enrolled in the points program . I can't get anything beyond July 8 2018 on a current trade . I thought the plus rules changed such that I would still be on flex change anyway.

Again , I may be mistaken but thought the eplus strategy changed such that I would only have as far as my original deposit ?

dmorea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I correct that it wouldn't matter what uno size I trade for ? I would retain the two bedroom size of the original deposit on an plus retrade?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Thank you all for your input . I am not enrolled in the points program . I can't get anything beyond July 8 2018 on a current trade . I thought the plus rules changed such that I would still be on flex change anyway.

Again , I may be mistaken but thought the eplus strategy changed such that I would only have as far as my original deposit ?
No. When you make an exchange and add Eplus, it will allow you to search with a retrade for up to a year after your confirmed exchange. So make an exchange for as far out as you can now, July 8th, and add EPlus. Then turn around immediately and do a retrade out to July 2019. You then have two additional retrades to get what you really want. If all else fails, you can cancel your trade in April 2019 and take a cancellation replacement that will be good through April 2020. You will of course have to pay another exchange fee to use the cancellation replacement.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Am I correct that it wouldn't matter what uno size I trade for ? I would retain the two bedroom size of the original deposit on an plus retrade?
Shouldn't matter. But I would trade for a 2BR just to be sure.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

I have a week expiring December 31, 2018 in a Corporate account.

Is the following strategy correct for e-plus? Trade the expiring week for an exchange for late December. Prior to 60 days of the check-in date of the trade, retrade out as far as I can for my first retrade (probably October 2019). I would then have until October 2019 (and two retrades) to use the week. Is there a way the week can be extended beyond that date other than cancelling the retrade prior to October 2019 and obtaining a replacement week?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
As long as the corporate eplus works the same as the regular eplus you would have until 1 year from the original exchange date (so December 2019) and 3 retrades total as long as you make the first etrade before the 60 days restriction begins in October.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
As long as the corporate eplus works the same as the regular eplus you would have until 1 year from the original exchange date (so December 2019) and 3 retrades total as long as you make the first etrade before the 60 days restriction begins in October.
As far as I can tell, the "FREE" exchanges (to Marriott) on an enrolled week are not limited to 3, or at all. I have stretched a week that was originally booked for Thanksgiving that I had to cancel inside 60 days to June of this year, using 5 different trades. All free. All without E-Plus.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks. Is the strategy thus to have the first trade out far only for purposes of the timing of the when second retrade must occur to stay within the 60 day cancelation policy? For example, if the first retrade was for April 30th, and that retrade was only for a placeholder, the retrade for the actual unit we wanted to use would need to occur 60 days prior to April 30th. Thus, by re-exchanging for out, while it doesn't extend the ultimate time we have to use the week (that stays at December), it does afford us more time to find the exchange we want to use without needing another retrade.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the "FREE" exchanges (to Marriott) on an enrolled week are not limited to 3, or at all. I have stretched a week that was originally booked for Thanksgiving that I had to cancel inside 60 days to June of this year, using 5 different trades. All free. All without E-Plus.

Were any of your trades beyond the original expiration date?

When I placed an ongoing request for my enrolled week, there was a $59 fee. Since my week is expiring, I believe I can only exchange beyond the expiration date using E-plus. I agree that I could retrade for free, but it would need to be before the original expiration date.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Why add ePlus at all? Make an exchange now for as far out as possible, then cancel before the 60 day mark before checkin. There is no additional cost at all. Your cancellation replacement would have an expiration date sometime in October 2019 if your first exchange is for December 2018. Eplus will give the the an extra year or more though as it would let you cancel as late as October 2019 and the expiration on the cancellation replacement would be in October 2020. If you know you will be using the week sometime in 2019, don't waste the $59.

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are no limits to the "Free" Exchanges on a Marriott Enrolled week. I canceled an exchange 2 days before arrival and then could trade for another week within 30 days. Before day 15 of the check-in of the new trade, I retreaded for something out as far as allowed, which is 60 days and then did about 3 more trades till I got a week I could use.

II rules for canceling a Marriott enrolled week are cancel within 14 days up to 1 day in advance you can trade for a week with a check in up to 30 days in advance. Cancel up to 15 days in advance you can retrade for a week with check in up to 60 days in advance.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There are no limits to the "Free" Exchanges on a Marriott Enrolled week.
The only limit is that you can't trade for or retrade for something beyond your deposit expiration date, which for the OP is December 2018.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why add ePlus at all? Make an exchange now for as far out as possible, then cancel before the 60 day mark before checkin. There is no additional cost at all. Your cancellation replacement would have an expiration date sometime in October 2019 if your first exchange is for December 2018. Eplus will give the the an extra year or more though as it would let you cancel as late as October 2019 and the expiration on the cancellation replacement would be in October 2020. If you know you will be using the week sometime in 2019, don't waste the $59.

I never had a replacement week but I thought they were limited to exchanges within 60 days.

If that is true and assuming I am using the week in 2019, are the options then 1) Pay $59 for ePlus and then be able to search for up December 2019 without regards to how far in advance the exchange is or 2) cancel an exchange in October just prior to the 60 day mark, and receive a replacement week (without a fee) but only search 60 days out? Thus, it would cost $59 and I lose the ability to further extend (ePlus) or I lose the ability to search more than 60 days out (cancellation week).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Cancellation replacements are not limited to 60 day confirmations. You can also place an OGS against a cancellation replacement, you can't do that with a retrade.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Were any of your trades beyond the original expiration date?

When I placed an ongoing request for my enrolled week, there was a $59 fee. Since my week is expiring, I believe I can only exchange beyond the expiration date using E-plus. I agree that I could retrade for free, but it would need to be before the original expiration date.
No, it was within the expiration date. The $59 is for e-plus which was not required if you were only trading to Marriotts.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cancellation replacements are not limited to 60 day confirmations. You can also place an OGS against a cancellation replacement, you can't do that with a retrade.

Thanks. I forgot how the replacement weeks worked.

The cancellation route would be the best as you point out. Placing an on-going search would be a big plus.

The plan is to use the week in either April, May June or July of 2019 for St Thomas if the hotel is open. The alternative is Aruba. While both are obtainable through manual searches, I would much rather have an OGS. I'll probably trade and then cancel in July and then put in an OGS for the desired dates. This will extend the week to July and allow us to put in an OGS at no cost. Good deal!