• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC- Can you rent out a unit reserved using bonus points?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My brother and SIL have about 50k bonus points most of which they may not have time to use before they expire. Can they reserve one or more units using these bonus points and rent them out? They understand they would need to get a guest certificate and pay the related fee if it is allowed. I looked for information, but couldn't find anything on this point.

Best regards.

Mike

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
According to rule no, I believe (I know that regular points can only be rented if Home Week is booked and Bonus points would not be eligible for Home Week, so I think the same rules apply). That is by rule.

Now, if the people that they get the guest certificate for are "friends"...well... :)

Cheers.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
According to rule no, I believe (I know that regular points can only be rented if Home Week is booked and Bonus points would not be eligible for Home Week, so I think the same rules apply). That is by rule.

Now, if the people that they get the guest certificate for are "friends"...well... :)

Cheers.

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Best regards.

Mike

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Agreed. You can always rent to “friends”. Thirdhome is another “Timeshare exchange” that you could utilize, however, this comes with a cost.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone in the world is my friend, I just don’t know him yet :D

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To swing this all back around to the original question, "The Club strictly forbids the use of the Club for commercial purposes or monetary or other consideration...other than an owner’s Home Week." Not that it hasn't been done. But if there is a dispute or damages to the HGVC property things could go south quite quickly.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks all. I shared this information with my brother and SIL and they agreed that it isn’t worth the risk. They are going to try and use as many of the bonus points as possible.

Best regards.

Mike

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can convert the expiring points to Hhonors points for hotel stays and those never expire, but they aren't very valuable. There's also a conversion to pay towards MFs. While neither of those is a tremendous value, they are both better than expiring.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
They can convert the expiring points to Hhonors points for hotel stays and those never expire, but they aren't very valuable. There's also a conversion to pay towards MFs. While neither of those is a tremendous value, they are both better than expiring.

To all, are bonus points eligible to be converted to either HHonors points or used to pay MF’s? I suspect they are not, since they were received as an incentive, but wanted to confirm that.

Thank you.

Mike

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all, are bonus points eligible to be converted to either HHonors points or used to pay MF’s? I suspect they are not, since they were received as an incentive, but wanted to confirm that.

Thank you.

Mike

You should be able to convert to HHonors points.

upload_2019-11-6_10-32-33.png

upload_2019-11-6_11-4-28.png

Last edited: