• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Carlsbad locations Which do you recomend?

gunner13734

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
I am planning a trip to San Diego next year and plan on staying at 1 of the 3 Carlsbad locations. I am traveling with my parents, wife, and 11 year old son. We will be staying in a 2 bedroom unit.
It looks like there are 3 resorts:
Carlsbad Seapointe
Grand Pacific Palisades
HGVC Marbrisa

Any thoughts or recommendations on which to choose? or any I should avoid? Thank You!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Marbrisa if you plan on going to Lego land. Also marbrisa is closest to hgvc standards.

Grand pacific palisades is also close to legoland but you have to cross a busy street and resort is nice but not as nice as marbrisa for amenities such as pool.

Seapointe is closest to ocean.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I would rate them:
1 Marbrisa phase 2. ( Proximity to Super Pool and LL)
2 Seapointe. (Proximity to beach and Coaster station)
3 Marbrisa phase 1. ( Older pool some units above road, some below)
4 Palisades ( Never stayed here but took a tour, older pool)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seapointe is my favorite. Across the street from the ocean and lots of on site activities. However, no food close by and no convenience store on site. There are separate adult and family pool areas.

Marbrisa is very spread out. It has a Sheraton Hotel in the middle of it which has a restaurant.

Grand Pacific Palisades has separate family and adult only pool areas. It's very lively and the first thing that comes to mind when I think about it is loud running around children.

Since you'll have an 11 year old, I would suggest Marbrisa so that he doesn't feel left out by not being allowed to access the adult only pool areas at the other 2 resorts. While the family pools are fun, if he is mature for his age, he may not like being around the running around loud kids.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed close by a few years ago at Villa LaBerge (RCI trade) and I checked them all out. I have not stayed yet at any of them, but this was my impression (random order):
1) Seapointe - right across from the beach, best location, the coaster train runs right behind it. Villa LaBerge did not have A/C and we were there in Sept when it was warm so the windows were open - and it sounded like the train was in our room while they blasted the horn each time they came thru. Somebody who was stayed at SeaPointe could comment on the noise - I just think our situation was a bad combination. The rooms were fine - but not as nice as Marbrisa.
2) Palisades - not as far as Marbrisa, you could get somewhat of a view with a plus room. Again, the rooms were fine - but not as nice as Marbrisa.
3) Marbisa - very nice property, far enough away any view was a glimpse. Very beautiful property and next to LegoLand.

So it really depends on what you want. I personally would try SeaPointe since it is the best location, but I would poll our good fellow tuggers about the noise issue before I made a decision.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I’ve stayed at Marbrisa (before the new phase) and Grand Pacific Palisades(GPP). I have owned at GPP since 2012 with an option of 8400 HGVC Points.

Ever since I have owned GPP we have only stayed there. For kids (I have two boys) it is just about perfect. Lots of activities, their own pool and splash area and Legoland a short walk away. We will once again be back to GPP in 2019. That makes it every year of ownership, 7 years total, of choosing GPP over HGVC Points. As our boys are getting older we will do something with our HGVC Points eventually, maybe 2020. Until then, we will continue to enjoy GPP.

Edited to add - when I first purchased the rooms were dated. However, it has been refurbished twice since then. Most recently with added wood like flooring and stainless steel appliances. The beds have always been top notch, very comfortable.

Last edited:

Ianneyan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and Vistana
If proximity to Legoland matters, I would recommend Marbrisa’s new phase, near Captain’s Cove. My family and friends stayed there over Labor Day weekend and had a great time. Beautiful property!

GrampaTim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Seapointe
We own at Seapointe ( 3 units, Week 32, summer ) and we love it. We are original owners ( when first built ). We live about 45 minutes north, so the option for day use is a plus for us ( though we don't actually use it often ). We've visited all three mentioned properties. Last summer we took our grandkids to Marbrisa for a day at the pools, and they are very nice. However, when asking the GKs if they wanted to stay a week up there it was a unanimous NO. They love the traditions at Seapointe, the fact it is smaller and less crowded, and of course we love the water views and the sunsets. We don't live at the resort during the week. Legoland is a few minutes away, or we can walk to the Coaster station to head to downtown. There is a little convenience shop ( and Marbrisa said they don't have one ) for those snacks and emergency items. Beware of Palisades. They have the flower fields on the slope below them, and heavily fertilize when they are not in bloom. With the winds, well it's choking bad. Marbrisa has nice rooms but the bed options were not as good for us in the 2 bedrooms. If you want the "fancy" than Marbrisa might suit you, but if you want very nice, yet access to the beach ( and they supply boogie boards, sand toys, towels, etc at Seapointe ), then you will love Seapointe. Also, though there are restaurants at Marbrisa ( hotel prices ) and Palisades, most dining will be offsite. All are equal distance to the restaurants on Palomar Airport Road, but the most fun dining is in downtown Carlsbad, and Seapointe is closer. There is much to do in San Diego County, so you will likely not spend a whole lot of time at the resort no matter which one you choose.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We are at Seapoint. Close access to the beach is nice for my morning walks, although when the tide is up most people except for the surfers exit the area, otherwise the beach is nice, but you have to cross the busy highway to get to it either through a camping area, or down a sidewalk/pathway and then dash across the road. The resort is sandwiched between highway 101 and the train track and the noise is relentless. It does not bother me too much and I got used to it quickly. It is an older resort, more of an RCI quality instead of HGVC, but it is clean and well maintained and I am quite fond of it.