• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC owner looking to add MGV

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently an HGVC owner. I've been looking to purchase a 2 bedroom lockout MGV platinum resale. I'm think to use it for trading purposes.

I'm not that familiar with Marriott. Any advice for this HGVC owner??

Is this a good resort for trading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am a hgvc owner and also a mvc owner at mgv. The resort has good trading in II, especially if you are looking at trading for other mvc resorts.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hello. I'm currently an HGVC owner. I've been looking to purchase a 2 bedroom lockout MGV platinum resale. I'm think to use it for trading purposes.

Is this a good resort for trading?

John, yes, Grande Vista is a good trading property and you will have the opportunity to trade either the intact 2BR, or you can lock it off and trade both the 1BR and Studio side.

You will trade exclusively through Interval International and this will be very different from your experience with HGVC. I love HGVC's system and am amazed at how easy it is to get other properties within HGVC. II will be much more unpredictable and you will have varying results for our Marriott trade.

Where are you trying to go that is leading you to a Marriott purchase?

Thanks very much!

Best,

Greg

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
John, yes, Grande Vista is a good trading property and you will have the opportunity to trade either the intact 2BR, or you can lock it off and trade both the 1BR and Studio side.

You will trade exclusively through Interval International and this will be very different from your experience with HGVC. I love HGVC's system and am amazed at how easy it is to get other properties within HGVC. II will be much more unpredictable and you will have varying results for our Marriott trade.

Where are you trying to go that is leading you to a Marriott purchase?

Thanks very much!

Best,

Greg

Thanks Greg!

We are big fans of the Caribbean and Virgin Islands. So having the option to trade into Aruba, or the Virgin Islands would be great. I like the West Coast options, as well as the Arizona options as well.

I'm actually looking to rent for Aruba for next Summer.

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
GregT,

Sorry to bring up an old post. But I'm also looking at a Shadow Ridge Gold Season for trading. I believe you had a Shadow Ridge as well. Any thoughts on this as well?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
GregT,

Sorry to bring up an old post. But I'm also looking at a Shadow Ridge Gold Season for trading. I believe you had a Shadow Ridge as well. Any thoughts on this as well?
I generally take the stance of buying lower cost resorts with lower than average fees that have lockoff's for a "trading Marriott". My top options are desert gold weeks, Orlando GV & HL, Branson, Manor Club Sequel and LV. But sometimes something one will use part of the time might trump some of these factors. If one wants to add non lockoff's, then there are a few others I'd add. The great thing about HL, GV & Branson (WR) is that they start on Thursdays which means you can reserve a day earlier which works esp well if one is looking at owning more than one week and using the 13 month reservation window. Overall it looks like the best traders in this group, assuming the top week in season, will be GV & HL plus desert Gold weeks and the others will trade slightly lower but not enough to make much of a difference in the real world.

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, very helpful.

I'm not quite concerned about the lockoff feature right now. We are a family of 5, and will need 2 bedroom units. My children are still young where we are not traveling without them. But I do like the lockoff feature for future use. The lockoff will be my preference, but not quite needed right now. If that makes sense.

Also, when you say desert, you are talking about desert springs I and II? Or are you talking about Shadow Ridge?

Last edited:

Bill4728

Reaction score
There are three Marriott TS in Palm Desert Desert Springs I and II and Shadow Ridge each are separate resorts

IMHO, The key point is don't buy to trade only. Buy somewhere you may use once every three years or so. Then buy where the MFs are good and if possible buy a lock-off even if you may not want it now.

Good Luck

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
GregT,

John,

Some TUGgers have had great results trading Gold weeks — my Shadow Ridge is a Platinum and trades extremely well. I would think the Gold trades well too, but you will want to reserve a high value week for the deposit (like Thanksgiving). It is brutally hot in May and June and I’m less confident in the strength of those weeks. But the Fall in general is fantastic in Palm Desert.

It’s a separate question though of how easily your target would be available. I assume you need to travel in School Holidays (is that true) and therefore competition will make it tougher.

I would welcome the feedback of TUGgers of how easy it is to get a 2BR at MFC (which is all they have) and a 2BR at Aruba, in summer time?

Best,

Greg

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
John,

Some TUGgers have had great results trading Gold weeks — my Shadow Ridge is a Platinum and trades extremely well. I would think the Gold trades well too, but you will want to reserve a high value week for the deposit (like Thanksgiving). It is brutally hot in May and June and I’m less confident in the strength of those weeks. But the Fall in general is fantastic in Palm Desert.

It’s a separate question though of how easily your target would be available. I assume you need to travel in School Holidays (is that true) and therefore competition will make it tougher.

I would welcome the feedback of TUGgers of how easy it is to get a 2BR at MFC (which is all they have) and a 2BR at Aruba, in summer time?

Best,

Greg
Thanks Greg, this is helpful, and exactly the type of answers I'd be looking for. We do travel during school holidays, summer and during NJ Teacher's Convention Week (typically first week of November) so I'd be looking to exchange into a property during those time periods.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, very helpful.

I'm not quite concerned about the lockoff feature right now. We are a family of 5, and will need 2 bedroom units. My children are still young where we are not traveling without them. But I do like the lockoff feature for future use. The lockoff will be my preference, but not quite needed right now. If that makes sense.

Also, when you say desert, you are talking about desert springs I and II? Or are you talking about Shadow Ridge?
IMO the lockoff portion adds value as does lower cost, lower dues and the Thursday check in. Just because you own and trade a lockoff does not necessarily mean you can't get 2 BR options or that you have to lock it off. But if ones truly doesn't care about the lockoff feature, will never use it for trading where they could use the smaller unit to trade and will never own more than one week they might want to book at 13 months out, it does open up other possible exchange options like other Orlando options, Legend's edge, Doral, NJ, and the older portion of Manor Club for example. As I mentioned above and esp for someone new to this, I would strongly suggest they consider something they'll use part of the time even if it's not the perfect exchange options otherwise. Let me also go back to GV, LE & Doral since they are in the FL club which does offer minor additional costs but also some other options. I would suggest that within the group of "trading Marriott" that the selection of the week to exchange is dramatically important. Also, IF one is looking at a trading week AND a week to use routinely and rent when they don't, they want the exchanging week to fit with that to use the 12 month window. Thus one needs to look at the weeks for the seasons where applicable.

Thunder Up

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greg,

Thank you for all of your comments/feedback. I have learned a lot from those comments and I mean a lot. Thank you. Thank you.

We own a 2 bedroom at Grand Chateau. We lockoff so we have 2 deposits into II. We have used those deposits to trade into Marriott’s Surf Club each of the last 3 years. In 2016 and 2017 we went in May. Our initial trade was into a one bedroom and we used EPlus to snag a 2 bedroom each year. In 2018, I was working in May, so we will go the 2nd week of December in 2018. We have traded into a 2 bedroom. The trades are made about 4-6 months before arrival.

I have not looked for specifically summer months in Aruba, as late May is hot enough for me but I have watched for 2 bedrooms in April and May and there is availability. It does not last long but it is there.

Thunder Up

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Greg,

Thank you for all of your comments/feedback. I have learned a lot from those comments and I mean a lot. Thank you. Thank you.

We own a 2 bedroom at Grand Chateau. We lockoff so we have 2 deposits into II. We have used those deposits to trade into Marriott’s Surf Club each of the last 3 years. In 2016 and 2017 we went in May. Our initial trade was into a one bedroom and we used EPlus to snag a 2 bedroom each year. In 2018, I was working in May, so we will go the 2nd week of December in 2018. We have traded into a 2 bedroom. The trades are made about 4-6 months before arrival.

I have not looked for specifically summer months in Aruba, as late May is hot enough for me but I have watched for 2 bedrooms in April and May and there is availability. It does not last long but it is there.

Thunder Up

Excellent points....the lockoff and upgrade game is alive and well for those who understand and appreciate it.
I think it's vastly underutilized.

Even though the Interval Int'l trades are not what they used to be (no need to expound),
there are amazing trades still available, and we continue to have success, and have never been denied a request
(specific requests, as in one resort & one particular week).
It does take a little longer to materialize...instead of 2-4 weeks it might take 12-15.

I have used my lockoff at Manor Club Sequel this year to obtain TWO great 2BR weeks
at Lakeshore Reserve, which I consider the finest spot in Orlando. Have also gotten Aruba Ocean Club, Maui Ocean Club, Barony,
and a few more....all definite up-trades and definitely worth purchasing the resale at Manor Club to accomplish.

You will find the same success using other lockoff resorts. The concept is a hidden gem in the Marriott game.

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent points....the lockoff and upgrade game is alive and well for those who understand and appreciate it.
I think it's vastly underutilized.

Even though the Interval Int'l trades are not what they used to be (no need to expound),
there are amazing trades still available, and we continue to have success, and have never been denied a request
(specific requests, as in one resort & one particular week).
It does take a little longer to materialize...instead of 2-4 weeks it might take 12-15.

I have used my lockoff at Manor Club Sequel this year to obtain TWO great 2BR weeks
at Lakeshore Reserve, which I consider the finest spot in Orlando. Have also gotten Aruba Ocean Club, Maui Ocean Club, Barony,
and a few more....all definite up-trades and definitely worth purchasing the resale at Manor Club to accomplish.

You will find the same success using other lockoff resorts. The concept is a hidden gem in the Marriott game.
Thanks for the feedback! What season Manor Club Sequel do you own offhand?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I own a Shadow Ridge Gold Season, I have never had an issue trading and upgrading size with the lock off. If I had to do it over again I would get a platinum week especially with the prices now.

However, if you really want Aruba and St Thomas in the summer or school holidays I would recommend a gold Aruba week. We have traded to Aruba in the summer in a 2 bedroom with E plus. So far this year I haven't seen a 2 bedroom summer week for the weeks we are going. So this year we are staying 2 weeks but in 1 bedrooms.

Due to the hurricanes last year, St Thomas has been an easy trade this year. This was not true in the past. I had an OGS for a Summer MFC in 2017 it never matched. Although a November early week might be possible.

Aruba fees are higher than Shadow Ridge but trade fees and upgrade fees can add up quickly especially if you have no plans to use the lock off and trade for 2 weeks.

Since you need a 2 bedroom and school holidays buying where you want to go seems like the best plan.

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more question for the experts. If a Shadow Ridge 2 Bedroom is not listed as a lock off, can it still be split for purposes of trading?

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thanks Greg, this is helpful, and exactly the type of answers I'd be looking for. We do travel during school holidays, summer and during NJ Teacher's Convention Week (typically first week of November) so I'd be looking to exchange into a property during those time periods.
I think Jersey Week may typically be a fairly easy trade since that week is limited to only a relatively small population of people. So it isn't like everyone from the east coast is heading out on vacation that week like you would have in the summer, over Christmas/New Year or spring break. The only thing you may find is that airfare is a little higher that week because there is more demand from where you would be flying from, but those that are flying are going to a lot of different places, so Jersey Week should be a fairly easy trade just about anywhere. Summer and other school holidays will be a lot harder since you are competing for availability with a much later population of travelers.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Just in case you didn’t know....

Booking non-home resort is not like HGVC.

With HGVC, owners can simply trade their week via HGVC’s Online System. Once the HGVC booking window opens, all available inventory at the Club resorts are accessible within the HGVC reservation system. All owners have equal access to HGVC resorts once the club booking window begins.

Marriott weeks owners must execute a trade via their exchange company (International International(II)) in order to trade into another Marriott resort. So Marriott weeks owners basically have to setup an ongoing request via II and wait until their desired travel date is deposited (of course that depends if you’re next in the queue) therefore travel date flexibility is sometimes key in improving their odds for an exchange match.

Here’s my understanding of the Marriott Weeks System hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

II receives week deposits from individual owners and MVC. Deposits can be made anytime during the year so availability varies throughout the year.

Marriott weeks owners can search online and/or setup an ongoing request. Owners can only create an ongoing search for their reserved unit size or smaller. So for example, an ongoing search with a studio reservation can only be setup to search for a studio unit (nothing larger). II can also call owners based on their ongoing request to offer a large unit for an upgrade fee. Owners can also perform an instant online match to a larger unit however high demand units generally don’t appear online for long.

Marriott weeks owners must reserve a specific week for trading.
Note: Multi-week owners and elite DC owners have an priority booking window compared to single week owners so they can reserve earlier.

An II exchange match will be determined based on deposit inventory and trading power. With II, all weeks are not created equal some have more demand than others therefore weeks with the highest demand will have better trading power.

For example, here’s II travel demand index for Palm Desert, CA​

TDI-36.jpg

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... Marriott weeks owners must reserve a specific week for trading. Note: Multi-week owners and elite DC owners have an priority booking window compared to single week owners so they can reserve earlier.

To clarify, yes, Marriott Weeks Owners have to deposit to II an interval that's already been booked. But the system allows for either the Owner to select a specific interval (which most savvy exchangers do based on II's TDI) or for MVW to select any interval. And, Marriott multi-Week Owners can use the 13-mos Reservation Window when booking consecutive/concurrent Weeks, with MVW releasing up to 50% of available inventory at the 13-mos window. The Reservation Window for single Weeks opens at 12-mos.

But, the owner status levels of each system, Weeks and Points, do not apply when reserving in the other. That goes without saying for Members who only own DC Trust Points, of course. For DC Members who own enrolled Weeks, though, their choices are to EITHER use the Week as usual (home use, II deposit, rental, etc.) according to their Weeks status/windows OR convert it to DC Points for use in the DC according to their DC status/windows. And intervals which are booked via the DC using Points from enrolled/converted Weeks cannot be deposited to II.

Last edited:

johnf0614

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just circling back... Looks like I'm going to grab a Platinum 2BR Lock-off at MGV.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just circling back... Looks like I'm going to grab a Platinum 2BR Lock-off at MGV.
Congratulations on doing your homework and figuring out what works for you. Enjoy!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
To add to the above posts "How to exchange Marriott via II..."

A very significant part of the Marriott allure in Interval is: Marriott preference.... Some/Most Marriott exchanges in Interval give preference to Marriott exchanges; anywhere from 3 to 24 days. You can search for "Marriott Preference" and get tons of information. It's what makes a Marriott an exceptional trader for other Marriott resorts.

Also, inside of 60 days, a studio can pull a 4bdr. Some flexchanges do have MP still attached.......Sweet!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

Great. You won't regret it. Check the ROFR and Rofr.net for pricing; think I just saw a really good ROFR on a 2br in there. I just missed a 3br EOY earlier this year...
IF you ever think you might end up enjoying Florida beach resorts, consider a Florida Club units..... MGR.