• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC to RCI

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
HI, what is the trading power for 7000 HGVC points in RCI? Is there a chart i can look at? I am not a member of either at this moment, just considering to buy.
Thank you

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It can vary based on season. There will also be an exchange fee up to $239 for a week. Also keep in mind that HGVC is the top shelf in RCI, very few others will compare, you will be downtrading. Very little DVC gets deposited.

10cad8f30b7ca999432c58f4282ee560.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As you can see by the chart, HGVC doesn't really deal in "trading power" -- if you have the points available and the RCI week is available, then you can book the reservation. With HGVC, owners use a corporate RCI account accessible through the HGVC portal, not a personal account. This means you cannot combine your HGVC week with other weeks you may own outside HGVC. With the corporate account, we can see pretty much anything out there, so very good in the traditional "trading power" sense.

While it is true that HGVC properties are top shelf and most RCI trades are "downtrading", the point structure is set up to compensate for that a bit. For example, a standard 2BR HGVC in the top season (Platinum) is worth 7000 HGVC points. However, trading to an RCI 2BR in the top season (Red) only costs 4800 HGVC points. You roughly get a one-size upgrade when trading into RCI using HGVC points. For trading into equivalent-quality resorts like DVC, this can make the trade look like a bargain, IMO.

Kurt

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As you can see by the chart, HGVC doesn't really deal in "trading power" -- if you have the points available and the RCI week is available, then you can book the reservation. With HGVC, owners use a corporate RCI account accessible through the HGVC portal, not a personal account. This means you cannot combine your HGVC week with other weeks you may own outside HGVC. With the corporate account, we can see pretty much anything out there, so very good in the traditional "trading power" sense.

While it is true that HGVC properties are top shelf and most RCI trades are "downtrading", the point structure is set up to compensate for that a bit. For example, a standard 2BR HGVC in the top season (Platinum) is worth 7000 HGVC points. However, trading to an RCI 2BR in the top season (Red) only costs 4800 HGVC points. You roughly get a one-size upgrade when trading into RCI using HGVC points. For trading into equivalent-quality resorts like DVC, this can make the trade look like a bargain, IMO.

Kurt

Thank you Kurt. I understand that many RCI resorts are not top notch. This does not concern me as long as there is still SOME availability for gold crown resorts during the prime seasons (kids still young but we will get to the point where we will have to follow the school calendar).
Is the availability ok in general?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The key with RCI is planning, the further out you can put in an ongoing search the better. If you know your school calendar a year out you should be fine. With that said, I have generally been able to find good RCI trades the few times I have done that. Mostly, I stick to HGVC resorts which I can almost always get what I want if I book at the 9-month mark when Club Season booking opens up.

Kurt

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The key with RCI is planning, the further out you can put in an ongoing search the better. If you know your school calendar a year out you should be fine. With that said, I have generally been able to find good RCI trades the few times I have done that. Mostly, I stick to HGVC resorts which I can almost always get what I want if I book at the 9-month mark when Club Season booking opens up.

Kurt
Have you tried resorts in Europe? I am curious for example if i would be able to book Hilton Vilamoura in Portugal during the summer vacation (weeks 25-34)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you tried resorts in Europe? I am curious for example if i would be able to book Hilton Vilamoura in Portugal during the summer vacation (weeks 25-34)
That is a very difficult property to book in the summer, since most of the summer weeks were sold as fixed weeks and by the time the 9-month window comes around, owners at that property have already grabbed up any availability (owners can book at 12 months out).

Kurt

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jut curious. The chart shows up to 3 bdrm. Does it means that you can't book a 4 bdrm & up on RCI ?
Thanks

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
i would be able to book Hilton Vilamoura in Portugal during the summer vacation (weeks 25-34)

You can book Hilton Vilamoura directly via HGVC w/o using RCI. Still like @PigsDad said, it I think is very difficult to book even for owners there during the summer weeks.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
one last question :) concerning the affiliated resorts where you have to call to deposit to get the HGVC points: can you still see availability in the HGVC system as well as on the corporate RCI without having the points yet in the account and deposit after you found something suitable or you have to deposit and have the points first?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
one last question :)
Ok, last one! :D

concerning the affiliated resorts where you have to call to deposit to get the HGVC points: can you still see availability in the HGVC system as well as on the corporate RCI without having the points yet in the account and deposit after you found something suitable or you have to deposit and have the points first?
That's a great question! I do know that you can definitely see availability of the HGVC resorts that you can book online even if you don't have any "available" points.

As for RCI, I suspect you can still see availability, but honestly I don't know for sure. I do own two affiliate weeks so I need to release those home week reservations if I want to do something else with those points, but I also own a 3rd week at SeaWorld, and when I go into RCI, it shows the "points available" as the sum of points I haven't used for the current year, next year, and year after next (we can effectively borrow two years ahead for RCI reservations). Therefore, I have never been out of points so I can't say for sure what would happen.

Kurt

P.S. If you have more general questions regarding HGVC, you might try the HGVC group as it would get more exposure there. Cheers!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I'm trying to figure out if the RCI 1 in 4 rule applies to less than 7 nights booked with points at HGVC. I was just looking online and the "Urgent Information" mentioned that the 1 in 4 rule applies, but I seem to recall that it was only for weeks, not nights. With the recent RCI changes/fee increases, I am not sure what the rule is. I also didn't know that there is now a Grace Period to cancel and get all my points and transaction fee back, so that is something that will give me time to get my answer and call them to cancel, if I need to. Thanks for any advice or for pointing me to the right thread.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
if i understand correctly, the RCI inventory can be weeks or points. Can HGVC points see both?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
if i understand correctly, the RCI inventory can be weeks or points. Can HGVC points see both?

If you change the search criteria “Length of Stay” to 1-6 days, then you are searching points inventory and can book less than the 7 day weeks inventory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

I’m an owner at hgvc vilamoura and inventory in the summer months gets booked very fast. I have never seen the resort in rci, don’t think it exists.

If you want vilamoura on a regular basis you need to own there. If you wish to try it once you could try and stalk the reservation site when the 9 month window opens.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if the RCI 1 in 4 rule applies to less than 7 nights booked with points at HGVC. I was just looking online and the "Urgent Information" mentioned that the 1 in 4 rule applies, but I seem to recall that it was only for weeks, not nights. With the recent RCI changes/fee increases, I am not sure what the rule is. I also didn't know that there is now a Grace Period to cancel and get all my points and transaction fee back, so that is something that will give me time to get my answer and call them to cancel, if I need to. Thanks for any advice or for pointing me to the right thread.

The 1:4 rule normally only applies to weeks reservations I do however know of a group of resorts in Europe (Anfi) which don’t care if you stay for 1 day or 7. They also enforce it very strictly, they cancel your reservation if you book at any of their resorts within the 4 years.

The grace period of 24 hours have been there for many years.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The 1:4 rule normally only applies to weeks reservations I do however know of a group of resorts in Europe (Anfi) which don’t care if you stay for 1 day or 7. They also enforce it very strictly, they cancel your reservation if you book at any of their resorts within the 4 years.

The grace period of 24 hours have been there for many years.

I just emailed HGVC to get clarification on when the 1 in 4 rule applies. If I talk to the RCI rep that handles HGVC I will not trust the answer. Let HGVC get the answer from RCI. I will post when I get the answer.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is the response I got from hgvc on the 1 in 4 rule.

“Thank you for your inquiry. As a HGVC member the 1 in X rule would apply to any reservation no matter the length of the reservation.”

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
With the changes in the RCI website in the past year now if I try to book a resort with that rule that I've used within the 3 or 4 year period, it won't let me book it. A message pops up telling me I've stayed there with in that time period. That is one change I like.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
With the changes in the RCI website in the past year now if I try to book a resort with that rule that I've used within the 3 or 4 year period, it won't let me book it. A message pops up telling me I've stayed there with in that time period. That is one change I like.
Sometimes it works to stop us and sometimes it doesn’t. Today it would let me book a 1 in 4 I shouldn’t be able to through the RCI portal. Makes me question if the answer they gave me is correct.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Sometimes it works to stop us and sometimes it doesn’t. Today it would let me book a 1 in 4 I shouldn’t be able to through the RCI portal. Makes me question if the answer they gave me is correct.

I had an RCI rep tell me that with points I wasn't restricted by the 1 in 4 rule at Orange Lake that it just applied to weeks owners. And that may have been in just one section of the resort not all the sections. You can ask three different reps with RCI and get three different answers so I ended up not booking it because I didn't want to take the chance. My sister and BIL own there and in the next year or two we want to a family vacation with them, their son and his family, us, our son and his family.