• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV Question

RSchinz

Reaction score
I attended a timeshare presentation at HICV Orange Lake the other day. It was very interesting to me and something I believe our family would use, as we love Orange Lake AND the thought of being able to trade into other resorts using our points system. If I have read on this wonderful forum correctly, I can buy a resale property at HICV Lake Geneva with the associated points completely transferring to me? Would my use of those points, and membership privileges be any different than if I had bought at orange Lake itself the other day? Thanks in advance!!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Not materially, points are points. However resale points do not count against membership levels point totals, that gain extra perks. I do not recall what HICV calls these off hand, as I am not at any level, so it is not something I pay attention to.

RSchinz

Reaction score
Does the value of purchasing points resale outweigh the "perks" that would go with membership levels at HICV? I am looking at purchasing 131,250 Annual points at Lake Geneva for $7500.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buying from the developer at inflated prices will NEVER be worth the benefits you get. Buying resale is always the better $$ route to go. You may never make up the difference in benefits even after decades of ownership.

Buy resale.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Perks start at 300,000 points. It's not much to justify the cost difference. Lake Geneva is getting harder to get and resale has gone up now that the trust has been put in place for HICV conversion.

RSchinz

Reaction score
When you say "The Trust has been put in place" what do you mean? Is it guaranteed that if I buy resale there that the points will be there in the HICV program? How would I initiate my account etc. after purchase?

RSchinz

Reaction score
When I went through the tour at Orange Lake they showed me that I could be staying that week...March 9th to 16th...in a 2 bedroom West Village unit for 15,000 points. They showed me several listings for 15,000 points. My question is, if I am a member through purchasing 131,000 points at Lake Geneva, will I be able to access units for 15,000 points the same way as people who bought there points at Orange Lake or are my points not valued equally if I want to spend them at other resorts other than my home resort of Lake Geneva?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
15000 for a week at OL in a 2 BR in March. I don't think so. Somethings seems off there.

The trust is just a entity they created. All new development and when HICV has been taking back timeshares that people no longer want, they are converting them and placing the points into the Trust.

I have not yet heard if you resale Trust points if they stay points, somehow I reserve judgement on that until I have heard of confirmation.

So right now you have weeks that were previously sold as points, but for all but 3 resorts those week convert back to fixed weeks. You have weeks that stay points. You have trust points. Are the last two the same thing, I have no idea.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
When I went through the tour at Orange Lake they showed me that I could be staying that week...March 9th to 16th...in a 2 bedroom West Village unit for 15,000 points. They showed me several listings for 15,000 points. My question is, if I am a member through purchasing 131,000 points at Lake Geneva, will I be able to access units for 15,000 points the same way as people who bought there points at Orange Lake or are my points not valued equally if I want to spend them at other resorts other than my home resort of Lake Geneva?
Those are probably MAXtime deals for up to 3 day stays. That is HICV's version of "Last Call" inventory. They can range in cost from 10K to 30K for 2-3 day stays.

I think those are available to all Points owners. If your vacation time is VERY flexible and you don't mind driving, that could work for you if you bought one of the three Points resorts and use the points for MAXtime stays (3 days at a time)

RSchinz

Reaction score
Thanks....I guess my biggest question is simply how I could be sure my points from Lake Geneva would be the same, minus the extra perks, as if I bought them at Orange Lake. Also, if I find that my 131,000 points is not enough to do what I want in a year can I just buy another one and "consolidate" the two amounts together into one account?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I suspect that the two resale accounts will be separated until you accept a "deal" to consolidate them.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe I can answer your lingering question. A friend of mine wanted out from the yearly maintenance fees and knew he could never get back what he paid. He sold me his South Beach 105,000 points to me. South Beach is one of the three resorts where the points do transfer into the OLCC (HIVC) system. I can use them the same as if I had purchased from OLCC retail minus the perks. I do have the MaxTime perk if you wish to call it that. So yes, you can use the points to make reservations at the other HIVC resorts the same as if you had purchased retail at OLCC.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, was the 15,000 point per week or per night. There are several ways on a nightly basis where the point requirement is roughly 15,000 points per night. Attached is a file showing a roughly 15,000 point per night at the North Village

Attachments

• 15000 points.JPG
    15000 points.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 32

RSchinz

Reaction score
Thanks...as far as the 15,000 points, you know how sales presentations go. He showed me a listing and said, the more I think about it, “ See, you could actually stay here this week for 15,000 points.” He technically didn’t say for how many nights or that I could stay the whole week for 15,000...all in the wording I guess. But he made it sound like I only needed 60K points to go multiple places in a year if I could travel more last minute. It doesn’t even seem like 60K points would get me a 2 bedroom, even last minute, for a week; let alone a couple weeks a year.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Points are good for 2 years, and you can pay to borrow. So you should not run out in one year, but you might in the next.

But I think they would still combine 2 resale purchases into the same account, perhaps someone who has done this can confirm. Wyndham does it this way, and I assume they only want you to have one account, otherwise you will have to pay the membership fee on multiple accounts, and that makes no sense.

Also if you own another timeshare, provided it is with RCI and is Not a points resort, you can also pay HICV $75 to put your points into HICV. This is called Global Choice.

RSchinz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight...the sales guy mentioned something about incredible weeks available as excess inventory at the last minute, which I would, in fact, be able to take advantage of. Does anyone know anymore about this? And would I be able to take advantage of that type of deal on excess inventory regardless of where i got my points from? <Re-sale or purchased at resort>

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
yes as already mentioned they are called MAXtime and are available for everyone at HICV until they sell out of that deal.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
If you are a points owner already the 3 point based resorts will attach to your account total of both units can be used together.

You will not receive higher status level.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Thanks for all the insight...the sales guy mentioned something about incredible weeks available as excess inventory at the last minute, which I would, in fact, be able to take advantage of. Does anyone know anymore about this? And would I be able to take advantage of that type of deal on excess inventory regardless of where i got my points from? <Re-sale or purchased at resort>
I think they are talking about last call deals thru RCI