• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV questions, new to timesharing

richardjc

Reaction score
Good morning,

I am looking into purchasing my first timeshare and had some questions about HICV. Hopefully you guys can help me with this.

• What do you "lose" by purchasing resales?
  • If I buy points out of the three resorts that continue as points (Lake Geneva, Smoky Mountain, South Beach)[If that is right]. Is there a difference to which resort is your home resort? Are there any advantages? Or should I just purchase wherever?
  • Can you still use resale points to book with other partner companies(RCI?)? Is there a significant difference in ability to do so with resales?
  • The HICV sales manager said that you cannot use resale points with RCI, can't borrow, rent or save, and only have a limited inventory for reservations. Are these arguments true or was he trying to pressure me into not rescinding?

Obviously I'm interested in HICV because I've been given their sales pitch. Are there other timeshares that are a better value?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The arguments that the sales person is giving, applies to the trust points that they are currently selling. It does not apply to resale points at the 3 properties you named.

When buying resale at MB or Gatlinburg you want to look for larger high season weeks. These will get the better MF to point ratios. If you buy an off season studio you will get very few points and pay the same MF's as someone with a much better week that gets 2-3 times the number of points. At Lake Geneva the points are UDI so you don't need to know the underlying week as there is none.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You do lose the ability for the points to count toward any elite status and perks that go along with those. If you are starting from scratch now with no points and have to build up to those levels with retail purchases the cost would be very high.

richardjc

Reaction score
The arguments that the sales person is giving, applies to the trust points that they are currently selling. It does not apply to resale points at the 3 properties you named.

When buying resale at MB or Gatlinburg you want to look for larger high season weeks. These will get the better MF to point ratios. If you buy an off season studio you will get very few points and pay the same MF's as someone with a much better week that gets 2-3 times the number of points. At Lake Geneva the points are UDI so you don't need to know the underlying week as there is none.

I'm not sure what you mean about weeks ay Gatlinburg. All the Gatlinburg resales I've seen refer strictly to points and not weeks.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not sure what you mean about weeks ay Gatlinburg. All the Gatlinburg resales I've seen refer strictly to points and not weeks.
They are based on weeks. If you don't see the week you can at least judge by the points given and the MF charged. Ideally for MF's alone (not counting the annual membership fee) you don't want to be paying more than $5 per 1000 points. Maybe you might be willing to go up to $6 but I wouldn't go any higher.