• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HICV Resale Opportunity

Reaction score
I just received word from my broker that there is an HICV resale from the Smoky Mountain Resort that is available. It is 183,000 points annually, $4,500 purchase price, and $1,048 in closing costs. The MF is $1,530 and includes annual maintenance, taxes and club dues. Is this a decent deal?

I also have some other questions that maybe someone can help me with. I see in the brochures that Cape Canaveral offers a 3 bedroom unit, but I can't access that through the guest booking online. Would the 3 bedroom unit be available to me as an HICV owner?

I was told that the MF are lowest at Smoky Mountains. Is this true? Does anyone have a document that outlines all the MF for all the HICV properties?

Finally, I don't want to get nickel-and-dimed on this. Outside that $1,530 annual MF, I know I would be charged a booking fee. Is there for sure a cleaning service fee as well? Are there any other fees that I'm overlooking?

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Bigmac3678

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
For a breakdown of HICV points, do a search on Tug for Scott K's spreadsheet. Scott also has a Google+ site for HICV which will include the spreadsheet of points.

In terms of some of your questions, $1530 in MF for 183k points is a high ratio of $8.36/1k. Ideally you want to find MF's in the $5-6/1k range. As a comparison, I have a 156k Smoky Mountain property with MF of $763 or $4.96/1k.

The lowest MF fees in Holiday Inn Club Vacations are at the Desert Club in Las Vegas. There are no cleaning fees with HICV, they are included in your MF. There is a yearly membership fee with HICV of $136.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
I 2nd everything that Bigmac said. The unit your looking at is a mid season 3 bedroom Lock Off which is actually a 1 bedroom and a 2 bedroom combined. Thats why your maintenance fees are high. That being said the price for that unit is not horrible. Closing costs seem high but Im sure on ebay the purchase price would be about the same. As for the Cape Canaveral 3 bedroom, they dont have many and are snatched up quickly. Once again I think the 3 bedroom is a lock off.

JustAddVodka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cape Canaveral 3 bedrooms are unicorns. I have home access there and have never seen one come up in a search. Even at 12 months. They don't even publish the floor plan for the 3 bedroom on the website. You can select 3 bedroom as your preferred unit size but only 2 bedrooms will come up. I just search with flex dates for next August and not one 3 bedroom came up. The 3 bedroom is essentially a one bedroom and two studios, (lock-offs) so you can book it that way and call the resort to request adjoining.