• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head Island in December?

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
We always go to Hilton Head in the summer. This year we are thinking of going in December. Has anybody been there in December? Just wondering what is is like. Obviously it is much cooler. Is the town tourist stores all closed? Most of the restaurants sill open? That sort of thing.

Thanks, Ray.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
We are at Hilton Head now and wishing it was cooler and less crowded. Just about all the stores and restaurants are open and many of the restaurants offer specials Dec.-Feb that make dining out very reasonable. Some are 2 for one and others are buy one get one half off. Temperature highs should be in the 60's.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's downright cold in December; at least that's my experience the two times I have been there.

One thing you won't need to worry about is snow.

Also, traffic on the island is much lighter than in the summer time.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
December in Hilton Head can have highs in the 60s, but it can easily have highs in the 50s or even 40s on many days.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
What dates in December are you going and what is your goal?

We’ve been the last week of November going into the first week of December with unseasonably warm weather near 80. Our goal was to check out the island on a getaway.

We’ve also been during the holidays. It met our goal of getting away from the frozen north and the festive atmosphere was comforting. I’ve been surprised at how many families travel to resorts for the holidays.

We’ve never had a problem finding enough restaurants to meet our needs.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love HHI, and we’ve been going for twenty years now. We were just there over July 4th, our first summer visit, and we won’t go back in July or August. December is much better! Weather can vary, but it won’t be below freezing and there won’t be snow. Most restaurants are open; beach tourist shops aren’t. It is delightful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I went for four days last December at the end of the first week. Everything is still open and there are mostly locals. It was cool, but not cold and rained all day one day. Went to Jazz Corner and saw a great show. Walked on the beach and went shopping. It was wonderful. I've been going every Thanksgiving for the last year, and have had awesome weather.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The first time we went to Hilton Head was over Memorial Day and we stayed on a golf course. It was hotter than normal for that time of year- closer to August weather 92-95 degrees ever day and quite humid. Being on a boat on the water was the only pleasant weather. A few years later we went for Easter vacation-early April and still didn't stay ocean front- we were in Shelter Cove but we loved it even if the ocean was too chilly for swimming. If you don't have to follow the school schedule, I would say late April, early May is delightful but the ocean is still a little on the cooler side for most and early October is the best overall (although the days are getting shorter). Every 3 years of so we go in the summer (we were there in mid June) and it is nice not to have to worry about chilly days but it is a little hotter than ideal for me.

I think if you are coming from Canada and the far north to HHI in December you can get some great getaway type prices and the weather will be better than home and you may luck out with several days in the mid 60's to lower 70's or you may have 5-6 cooler days and only one or two warmer days. I think your chances of decent weather are much better than if you are staying in Myrtle Beach but you really should try late spring or early fall for the nicest weather.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus, you can go to Savannah in December as a day trip and see stuff there.

Clark

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean
Barony Beach Club
We went just once in December, around Christmas time; normally we go in April. It was cold and sleety. And Christmas decorations were somewhat limited compared to what we thought we might see. Unlikely to return there that time of year, we really like the Gold season -- warm but not overbearingly hot.

rsackett

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott’s Harbour Point
Thanks for the reply's everyone.

Ray

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
We have gone several times in December and January. Everything is open, not very crowded, and it is our preferred time to go. If you are not an owner, it is very easy and cheap to either buy an II Getaway or use DC points. And we have always, through either method, been able to get ocean view accomodations. The only caveat is if you want to use the outdoor pools or go into the ocean, which we do not. That would be a little chilly for my taste.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
We always go to Hilton Head in the summer. This year we are thinking of going in December. Has anybody been there in December? Just wondering what is is like. Obviously it is much cooler. Is the town tourist stores all closed? Most of the restaurants sill open? That sort of thing.

Thanks, Ray.

We went over Christmas a few years ago. It was either overcast and chilly every day and/or it was raining (of course the day we were scheduled to leave it was 50 and sunny)

Not much at all to do. I would never go back during that time of year.

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is so quiet, and I like it! You can turn left onto 278 from anywhere! Restaurants are open, the beaches are uncrowded. Each Marriott has a heated pool, I believe. Everything is decorated for Christmas.

quhines

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview (RCI Points)
Vacation Village @Weston (RCI Points)
HGVC Tuscany
We are planning on going to HHI, the week of Christmas. So the the thought of taking a Day Trip to Savanah sounds great! We are staying at Grand Ocean, so just trying to get some ideas.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went several years over Christmas and enjoyed it. We owned at Monarch and some years it was great, some years not so great. Most things open and liked walking on the beach!

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
As a foot note to nothing and as a local. I’ve always felt that HH is the winter capital of the state of Ohio.

and the Egret is Ohio's state bird. :)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
WOW, that's an awesome picture!!!! Nice villa assignment!
Beautiful AND peaceful.....
I'll bet a lot of TUG members will be wanting to book Monarch now for December, or anytime.

Any month is great at Hilton Head, and December is no exception.
Of course the weather is iffy anywhere in the southeast, or whole east coast for that matter,
but it can easily be in the 60s and sunny too. We have summer timeshare weeks plus a few Spring/Fall
ones, and we also use other means to go in Jan & Feb, so we've seen it all, and frankly we enjoy Jan/Feb
every bit as much as any other time. So I'm definitely putting in a plug for the
so-called "off-season" weeks, even though I don't see HH as having an "off" season.

The best thing is that, if you dine out, the restaurants have great deals during this time.
Lots of BOGO or either BO/50% off. The SERG restaurants, some of the best on the island, have the best deals going
and they run into March. Make sure to get the booklet from any of the SERG restaurants when you go.....
you can even use it for that initial meal. ......(hint: and when you use a page or coupon in some of the places, it's still good to use again.)

Check out the individual resorts' activities lists....you'll find that there are dozens of things to do each week.
Altho we live in Georgia and can therefore go to HH often, we have met and come to know MANY couples
from all over New England who come to stay at HH for many consecutive weeks, sometimes from December to March, or slightly shorter stays,
and they say they look forward to that more than anything. There's a group of about 20-25 people at Grande Ocean
during these times that are VERY active with anything and everything, and we also dine out and have get-togethers.
You might meet a few during your December stay.

Last edited:

MGOGO

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner
Wondering what others think .. have been an owner for 20 years and I am thinking about either selling or turning in my week 50 at Harbour Cove at Shelter Pointe ... I believe that turning it in is easiest, but wondering if they have elevated the value to a RED week for week 50. What are others thoughts? Thanks .. I think this may be one of the larger floor plans.. ??

quhines

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview (RCI Points)
Vacation Village @Weston (RCI Points)
HGVC Tuscany
I have checked in Grande Ocean today. We are in the Pelican Building. I rained all day though, but the weather is supposed to get better after Christmas Eve. So I am looking forward to it! Are there any other Tuggers at Grande Ocean?

Last edited:

chunkygal

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BWV 215 pts

MVC Kauai, Wioahai

Enrolled in DC
We go a lot in December. It is a different vibe. You can get your pizza from Giuseppe’s in less than an hour. The restaurants are open and less crowded. It can be chilly, but the pools are heated and we go to relax, usually read, talk, walk on the beach, enjoy restaurants...
IMHO every season at Hilton head is great for different reasons. We used to go with kids, but now we are empty nesters.