• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hilton Head Island to Charlotte Airport Mon. May 6th

sea

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello - we will be a group travelling from Barony Beach HHI to Charlotte Airport on Monday May 6th with a late day Air Canada flight to Toronto. Doing a one way vehicle rental to CLT. What to expect on route and at the airport? When to arrive? Duration of trip? Suggestions of where to stop for lunch on route? Thank you for your input!

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I've made that drive about 2 million times (only a slight exaggeration).

Plan on a travel time of 4 hours. Route: 278-95N-26W-77N
to get to the airport I'd swing onto the 485 inner loop and take the back way in

The halfway point is exit #145 on the I26. Lots of places to stop for a fast food lunch there.

You shouldn't have many traffic issues, although traffic will build a bit as you head closer into Charlotte. Mostly you are going against the evening traffic patterns. Don't speed through Ridgeland SC and be careful not to go too fast when the I-77 goes to 3 lanes in Rock Hill...those are the most likely places to get a speeding ticket.

LMK if you want to know where all the rest areas are along the route...

Last edited:

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
Hello - we will be a group travelling from Barony Beach HHI to Charlotte Airport on Monday May 6th with a late day Air Canada flight to Toronto. Doing a one way vehicle rental to CLT. What to expect on route and at the airport? When to arrive? Duration of trip? Suggestions of where to stop for lunch on route? Thank you for your input!
Per google maps, 31/2 hours, 249 Miles via I77N or 4 hours, 270 miles via I95N, you are heading thru the middle of SC, thru Columbia, maybe check trip advisor to check out restaurants there??

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Per google maps, 31/2 hours, 249 Miles via I77N or 4 hours, 270 miles via I95N, you are heading thru the middle of SC, thru Columbia, maybe check trip advisor to check out restaurants there??

You have to take both the 95 and the 77. I would definitely plan on a 4 hour travel time.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest eating in Columbia somewhere in the Vista. It's easy on and off 26. There are also back roads to Charlotte. You can take 21 almost the entire trip. It would be much longer, but you shouldn't have any traffic jams, construction, etc.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
You're not going to have exciting and unique food choices for lunch along the way. There's the usual fast food choices. If you're not familiar, there are a couple of fast food chains that are not nationwide:
Bojangle's: started in Charlotte. It's a chicken and biscuit fast food place. Think of cajun seasoning... but not hot/spicy. Known for chicken filet biscuits. Side items of note: seasoned fries and "dirty rice."

Cook-out: This is a simple (and not fancy) fast food chain that is popping up everywhere in the Carolinas. The restaurant buildings are rather plain (far from tendy or plush). A few locations are drive through only. Think of this as a cheap Five Guys. If you look past the buildings and the generic foil burger wrappings, the food is actually quite good. The burgers are fresh meat (not frozen). The chopped BBQ is surprisingly good and gets rave reviews. The shakes are noteworthy. Note: They offer some combo meals called "trays" and are quite a bargain that include a drink. The trays are usually a burger and two sides. Sides can be anything from onion rings, hush puppies, chicken wrap to a corn dog (my wife has a lot of trouble thinking of a corn dog as a side). You may have moment of disappointment when you open up the styrofoam container and see small portions of the sides... but remember this is a "cheap" place... and you will be full after you eat it all. You can be a true southerner by changing your drink choice to a "Cheerwine" float. For those who don't know, "Cheerwine" is a Carolina born soft drink-- slightly like a cherry Coke.

So if you have to do fast food, those options offer a nice diversion from the usual.

You may want to give yourself plenty of time -- you never know about traffic. We always seem to run into a wreck or highway construction between Charlotte and Hilton Head. If you allow plenty of time and find yourself getting to Charlotte early-- I would suggest visiting the Billy Graham Library. It's about five minutes away from the airport. It's free. I've taken out of town clients there and they've found it extremely interesting. Very will done.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could stop at the Just Us Café in Cayce, SC. Home cooked food. Nothing fancy, but unbelievably cheap and very good.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Olde house Cafe in Walterboro if you’re hungry before getting to Columbia.