• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HNL arrival and luggage re-check to Hawaiian duration

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Arriving HNL on American on a Sat at 2PM. Departing on Hawaiian at 3:30, boarding at 3.

Has anyone recently exited the terminal, collected and re-checked bags, and made it back through security to gate within one hour? Other experiences?

Thx

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Was this booked as a single itinerary, or two separate itineraries? If it's just a single one you should be able to have your bags checked all the way through. It looks like American and Hawaiian airlines are partners so you should be able to check the bags through.

I haven't been in the Honolulu airport in years, but a friend who was there fairly recently, left the terminal as she had a long layover. She didn't need to collect her luggage as it was checked all the way through. I remember her saying she was so glad she had Global Entry (with TSA PreCheck) as it saved her a lot of time coming back into the airport. If I remember correctly she guessed it saved her about an hour.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
I have done it, and it is a pain if you have checked luggage. On one occasion, I tried to book SLC to Maui with Delta and a layover in HNL. It showed no flights. Then, I booked with Delta to HNL, and I booked with Hawaiian to Maui, and there were plenty of Hawaiian flights. I don't know what Delta's problem was. I assume Hawaiian allocates a limited number of seats to Delta as a flight partner, and at this occasion Delta couldn't get any more Hawaiian seats. Since I purchased the ticket from HNL to OGG from Hawaiian, Delta wouldn't check the luggage from SLC to OGG.

Back to your question. I think with an arrival at the main airport, and a departure at the inter-island terminal, with retrieving and re-checking luggage, with only one hour, it is too tight. There is a shuttle, but I have had to wait a while for it sometimes. I would recommend at least one and a half hours. Going the other way may take longer.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Arriving HNL on American on a Sat at 2PM. Departing on Hawaiian at 3:30, boarding at 3.

Has anyone recently exited the terminal, collected and re-checked bags, and made it back through security to gate within one hour? Other experiences?

Thx
Have you tried asking American? They and/or Hawaiian Airlines might know. It probably depends on time of year and crowds at the time, it also depends on what gate you are going out of at 3:30, inter-island or international...

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Hawaiian agent says I’m good, but I’m pessimistic.

I use to get AA to check through, but Hawaiian changed their rules and won’t do interline baggage check unless under one ticket now and I’m under AA, then separate Hawaiian. SAT to HNL, so no customs issues and I’m Global Entry, so that helps.

If I get a 20 min flight delay in arrival, things could get interesting. Probably just carry-on again.

Thanks

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Hawaiian agent says I’m good, but I’m pessimistic.

I use to get AA to check through, but Hawaiian changed their rules and won’t do interline baggage check unless under one ticket now and I’m under AA, then separate Hawaiian. SAT to HNL, so no customs issues and I’m Global Entry, so that helps.

If I get a 20 min flight delay in arrival, things could get interesting. Probably just carry-on again.

Thanks
I'll ask again. Was this booked as one itinerary or two? Since American and Hawaiian are partner they "should" check the luggage through, you shouldn't have to leave the terminal (although maybe you do to go to the inter-island terminal).

Sorry I just read your post more carefully and noticed you said that American will no longer check the baggage all the way through. What a pain.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
FWIW, I originally thought it was AA and Hawaiian no longer having interline agreements, but apparently Hawaiian stopped accepting luggage not on one reservation. Articles on the web and FlyerTalk state it was because they were being held for responsible for lost and damage luggage that occurred upstream from the HNL to inter-island leg. It is a pain and with more and more direct to Maui flights it does give one more reason not to use Hawaiian if the trip allows.

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
To your original question, consistent with what others have heard/posted, Hawaiian Airlines has also told me to allow a minimum 1.5 hours for this type of transfer. I had a similar choice to make, and was worried about a delay in the mainland to HNL flight. So, I opted not to chance it and allowed for a longer layover instead.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
"I would allow a minimum of 1.5 hours, assuming that your flight from the mainland arrives on time."

If I were flying, I wouldn't do it with less than 2.5 hours to provide some contingency for a late arrival. If I then wind up having a long layover, I would use the time to have some food in the airport before making the inter-island connection.

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you allow a long layover, arrive on time, get your luggage, and get back through security with time to kill, there's a very nice location to wait for your next flight, the Honolulu International Airport Cultural Gardens. It's located between the walkways that go to gates 14-23.

2017-01-31%2014.13.41-L.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you allow a long layover, arrive on time, get your luggage, and get back through security with time to kill, there's a very nice location to wait for your next flight, the Honolulu International Airport Cultural Gardens. It's located between the walkways that go to gates 14-23.

2017-01-31%2014.13.41-L.jpg

Yes - nice spot. We have passed time there in the past. This garden is in the main terminal.

I would add - if I with extra time to pass, I would probably first collect my luggage at the main terminal, then transit to the interisland terminal and check-in there, going through security. I would then take the wiki wiki shuttle back to main terminal to go the garden or grab some food.

tugcccsp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMOC Lahaina Villas
MMOC Napili Villas
Marriott Summit Watch
Marriott Mountainside
Welk-Escondido
Or, go to the Delta lounge and enjoy some soup and popcorn. :)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai

Thx
I would plan to arrive at the departure airport VERY EARLY for your flight to HNL. I would find AA Customer service and explain exactly what you just said you are concerned about. If they don't offer a viable solution, I would ask whether they could re-issue the ticket (the inter island part) or even a voucher stating the flights were consecutive with reciprocating airlines. Then be sure and take that with you when you check the bag - specify you want through baggage. I bet they can do this if you talk to the right person... Or even if you call the airport aa desk a day ahead and just ask.
Hope it all goes smoothly and that you get right on your next flight. HNL is a nice airport as people say - not a bad place to spend time... Good luck!

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Thanks everyone, flights are booked. Doing FC to HNL, so thought about luxury of checking a bag or two, but think we’ll just carry-on as usual. It’s usually a question of how much camera gear to take vs clothes anyway, but told my wife she wouldn’t have to be responsible and explain why her primary carryon was a single 600mm lens this time. (Now if Pe’ahi/Jaws is forecasted to go off all bets are off.
:)

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, flights are booked. Doing FC to HNL, so thought about luxury of checking a bag or two, but think we’ll just carry-on as usual. It’s usually a question of how much camera gear to take vs clothes anyway, but told my wife she wouldn’t have to be responsible and explain why her primary carryon was a single 600mm lens this time. (Now if Pe’ahi/Jaws is forecasted to go off all bets are off.
:)
Carry-ons only are a great time-saver. I know what you mean about being tempted to check in your luggage since you're flying FC. I keep trying to talk my DH into going the carry-on only route, but then he reminds me about all of the things I want to buy to bring home for everyone! LOL Have a great trip! CJ

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Carry-ons only are a great time-saver. I know what you mean about being tempted to check in your luggage since you're flying FC. I keep trying to talk my DH into going the carry-on only route, but then he reminds me about all of the things I want to buy to bring home for everyone! LOL Have a great trip! CJ
We've solved the "how to bring all the stuff home" by mailing it back.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
If it fits it ships. Several times we have shipped things home through the USPS. But with our snorkel gear we have to do at least 1 checked bag.

janetdoe

Reaction score

Thx
Yes, I've done it. It's doable, but it's tight, and it helps to know where you're going ahead of time. If you're traveling with a spouse, have them stay airside and hold everything (carryons, etc) except your wallet. That way, you can navigate any inspections and security faster. (The spouse can also ask the gate agents not to shut the gate early if there's any issue...) Then you go recover and re-check the luggage.

If you do the same thing on the way home, (Hawaii-HNL-mainland) you would need to do an ag inspection before you re-check in HNL.

If you have the option of packing everything into carryons, (no liquids, no bulky dive gear, etc) then that will probably be less stressful than navigating a tight AA-to-HA luggage re-check in HNL.
I would plan to arrive at the departure airport VERY EARLY for your flight to HNL. I would find AA Customer service and explain exactly what you just said you are concerned about. If they don't offer a viable solution, I would ask whether they could re-issue the ticket (the inter island part) or even a voucher stating the flights were consecutive with reciprocating airlines. Then be sure and take that with you when you check the bag - specify you want through baggage. I bet they can do this if you talk to the right person... Or even if you call the airport aa desk a day ahead and just ask.
Hope it all goes smoothly and that you get right on your next flight. HNL is a nice airport as people say - not a bad place to spend time... Good luck!
As an Executive Platinum with American, I have not been able to convince any American agent at DFW to check luggage through to Hawaiian when it's booked on different tickets. Maybe in SAT you would get a less experienced agent who would be willing to sneak it through. Or maybe you could tip a skycap enough to do it. But according to the rules, there is no way to do it, even for a fee. Don't let AA convince you it's Hawaiian airlines issue; it's an AA decision, and it's not just with Hawaiian Airlines. :rolleyes:

As for AA re-issuing the Hawaiian ticket on the day of flight - Unless you have some sort of flight disruption where the rules get thrown out the door and AA eats the cost, I don't have any idea (technically) how that could even work. o_O

There is a way that a real full-service travel agent with GDS access can put two separate tickets into one PNR (record locator) when they first book the tickets, and that should actually work to get the baggage checked through. If you don't know a full-service travel agent, I suspect Amex Travel services could do it, but they will definitely charge an issuing fee of $40 per ticket.