• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HOA Annual Voting - it is important, read your ballot & vote

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
I have to admit, I am usually an absent member when it comes to HOA issues and voting as a shareholder of companies in my portfolio. Lesson learned this time around. Regarding timeshares, I own at both Beach House and Windward. I was about to shread my ballot and actually took the time to read the cover letter to find out that we were voting on whether to fully fund reserves with an impact of increased annual assessments between $300 (Winward) - $500 (Beach House) per week. Needless to say that I paid attention and actually voted this year.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have to admit, I am usually an absent member when it comes to HOA issues and voting as a shareholder of companies in my portfolio. Lesson learned this time around. Regarding timeshares, I own at both Beach House and Windward. I was about to shread my ballot and actually took the time to read the cover letter to find out that we were voting on whether to fully fund reserves with an impact of increased annual assessments between $300 (Winward) - $500 (Beach House) per week. Needless to say that I paid attention and actually voted this year.

Yes, mine said the same thing for Coconut Plantation. I think they may have finally heard us about the high (relatively speaking) MF compared to other systems.

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, mine said the same thing for Coconut Plantation. I think they may have finally heard us about the high (relatively speaking) MF compared to other systems.

While the vote provides each owner a small voice on MF's, the vote is really the HOA Board responding to Florida statutes that require that all Statutory Reserve items be a fully funded level based upon a specific formula unless waived by a majority vote of a quorum of all owners.

Until Florida enacted the fully funded statute a few years back, each HOA Board created a project list based on whatever they thought was the appropriate amount of work/up grades to perform in the upcoming year and adjusted MF's to that. However the potential scenario with that is that there isn't sufficient money in the reserves and a special assessment would be needed in the future. To "protect" against under funded reserves and special assessments, the state passed legislation that requires reserves to be fully funded - unless that requirement is waived by the majority vote of a quorum of all owners.

So the vote regarding "Should the Association approve the waiver of the Association’s full funding of the Association reserves for 2018?” is the HOA Board complying with state statute in lieu of comparing HRC MF to other systems.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
While the vote provides each owner a small voice on MF's, the vote is really the HOA Board responding to Florida statutes that require that all Statutory Reserve items be a fully funded level based upon a specific formula unless waived by a majority vote of a quorum of all owners.

Until Florida enacted the fully funded statute a few years back, each HOA Board created a project list based on whatever they thought was the appropriate amount of work/up grades to perform in the upcoming year and adjusted MF's to that. However the potential scenario with that is that there isn't sufficient money in the reserves and a special assessment would be needed in the future. To "protect" against under funded reserves and special assessments, the state passed legislation that requires reserves to be fully funded - unless that requirement is waived by the majority vote of a quorum of all owners.

So the vote regarding "Should the Association approve the waiver of the Association’s full funding of the Association reserves for 2018?” is the HOA Board complying with state statute in lieu of comparing HRC MF to other systems.
The underlying fact is that the resort is not fully funding replacements. I'm good with it as long as it doesn't catch up with us down the road. If that occurs, it could be special assessment time. Don't know how serious hurricane damage would play into that issue.

bb70

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't recall receiving a ballot. Is voting online or only by mailed, paper ballot?

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have always received ours in the mail
Curious as to if any pinion pointe owner's have ever received this kind of notice. Now or in the past. Have had interest of purchasing here in the past but have been holding out to see how the new pure points system pans out.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like just Florida units are affected.