• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club HICV HIVC

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen these weeks for sale here and there, I would love to have more points but too fearful that I end up with a deeded week.
I was told true or not? If I stayed desert inn with RCI points membership that the affiliation between OL/RCI would end and my week would end up being the underlying deeded week.
This always struck me as odd? How can they strip value to the current owners that paid big $$ to convert to RCI points? My TS with summer bay had something like crown club that the previous owner paid $$ and this was stripped.
I Paid 6$ for my first one with discounted closing cost. I liked their system and didn’t feel like rocking the boat. But if I was older I would have been pissed! I hope OL wakes up and stop obstructing their owner’s ability to resell the smoke their selling(POINTS)! Only then will their TS have any value until then it is a liability with benefits IMO.
So much bad information out there it’s hard to get to the bottom of it.

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have seen these weeks for sale here and there, I would love to have more points but too fearful that I end up with a deeded week.
I was told true or not? If I stayed desert inn with RCI points membership that the affiliation between OL/RCI would end and my week would end up being the underlying deeded week.
This always struck me as odd? How can they strip value to the current owners that paid big $$ to convert to RCI points? My TS with summer bay had something like crown club that the previous owner paid $$ and this was stripped.
I Paid 6$ for my first one with discounted closing cost. I liked their system and didn’t feel like rocking the boat. But if I was older I would have been pissed! I hope OL wakes up and stop obstructing their owner’s ability to resell the smoke their selling(POINTS)! Only then will their TS have any value until then it is a liability with benefits IMO.
So much bad information out there it’s hard to get to the bottom of it.

It is difficult, and it seems Jimkin was able to "luck out" at South Beach Resort in that buying het TS included points. It may be that the one she purchased was affiliated with and RCI points account prior to HICV and Orange Lake stepping in, which allowed the points to transfer as HIVC was not involved in the points original purchase. This is all speculation, but would make sense as the reason RCI points purchased from HICV don't transfer to the new owner when sold is because they are actually HICV points that deposit 2:1 into RCI, and HICV membership is not transferrable except to family, as noted by Simpson.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
i bought one during the transition process. when the deed was registered at OL it had lost its RCI points? they kept telling me no RCI points were on the TS(we had all the paperwork to prove otherwise). It was now a deeded week. since they allowed me to transfer it to thier point system i let the issue go! No use picking a fight when i was getting what i wanted.

I sent this guy a email see what he has to say. Probably some guy thats doesnt know. buyer beware....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171054097175&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

Last edited:

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
i bought one during the transition process. when the deed was registered at OL it had lost its RCI points? they kept telling me no RCI points were on the TS(we had all the paperwork to prove otherwise). It was now a deeded week. since they allowed me to transfer it to thier point system i let the issue go! No use picking a fight when i was getting what i wanted.

I sent this guy a email see what he has to say. Probably some guy thats doesnt know. buyer beware....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171054097175&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

weird. I guess it might depend on who is processing it. I'm glad it worked out for you, though!:)

I sent an email too, but it's a different listing- from CJ timeshares :this one. You never know!

Last edited:

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
weird. I guess it might depend on who is processing it. I'm glad it worked out for you, though!:)

I sent an email too, but it's a different listing- from CJ timeshares :this one. You never know!

Response to my email:
Hello,

This auction is for RCI points and not HIVC points. If you would like HIVC points I can find an ownership that is available.

Best Regards,

Jason
CJ Timeshares

- cybernaut303

hmm... he's asking:
Total Monies Due = Final Bid Price(starting bid is $995) + $499 (Closing Costs) + $100 (Resort Transfer Fee) + $222 (RCI Fee)+ $567 (2013 Maintenance Fees)

That's a lot to lay out on a roll of the dice.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought three timeshare through them they seem like straight shooters! Worth picking their brains.

Reaction score
Some resorts sell HIVC points, but some - like Orange Lakes - sells weeks. If a person sells an HI OLCC contract, it will always be the deeded week, even if the previous owner converted to HIVC points. It's a great way for them to extort - I mean earn - money. They sell HIVC points to a person, they use them, and when they sell, it reverts to the week. If the next buyer wants points, they pay $3000. If they sell, again back to the week, and the cycle begins again.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy OLCC every time I went! It's the ownership part of the deal that sours it.

TS

mlefferts

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought three timeshare through them they seem like straight shooters! Worth picking their brains.
I think I'll do just that... It would be to the benefit of anyone looking to get into HIVC.

Some resorts sell HIVC points, but some - like Orange Lakes - sells weeks. If a person sells an HI OLCC contract, it will always be the deeded week, even if the previous owner converted to HIVC points. It's a great way for them to extort - I mean earn - money. They sell HIVC points to a person, they use them, and when they sell, it reverts to the week. If the next buyer wants points, they pay $3000. If they sell, again back to the week, and the cycle begins again.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy OLCC every time I went! It's the ownership part of the deal that sours it.

TS

This is precisely why I haven't purchased there yet. Still more learning to do, and possibly purchase into a different HICV resort for points.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

Or it could be a way to counter prospective marks at sales presentations. If the mark says he can buy one for cheap via resale, the salesperson can tell him that it is only available at developer prices (well, not those exact words).

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the ONLY way to buy HIVC points is from OLCC directly (aka Developer Purchase). But, it always reverts to the underlying week when re-sold. And, those contracts go for under $500 consistently on eBay.

TS

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
“Or it could be a way to counter prospective marks at sales presentations. If the mark says he can buy one for cheap via resale, the salesperson can tell him that it is only available at developer prices (well, not those exact words). “
OR a heck of a good reason not to buy orange lake and move on to another TS system with a resale value. They are selling smoke, a concept, and idea, and nothing more if they strip the value of that idea at resale……JMO of course!

ST- there was some talk about some people paying to convert is this still available and at what rate? Or do you have to buy a small purchase to bring in the rest of the weeks under points system?

Reaction score
I'm basing my information on 2 facts:

(1) all Orange Lake contracts on eBay are weeks only,
(2) my in-laws converted their Week 20 East Village to points for around $3000

TS

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm basing my information on 2 facts:

(1) all Orange Lake contracts on eBay are weeks only,
(2) my in-laws converted their Week 20 East Village to points for around $3000

TS

Not bad for a 2-3 bedroom prime week(133k-177k). How long ago did your in-law convert?

Reaction score
Last year. They always took vacations on Week 20, but since they needed flexibility, they converted to HIVC points. I am not sure how many points (2-bedroom East Village).

TS

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all very interesting

As a relatively new owner at the Desert Club in las vegas, I was eager to join the HICV when it was offered for about $200. This "conversion" gave me over 300,000 points for my 3 units in the HIVC system.

Of course, they always said that any sale to the next person would only get them my original weeks underlying the deed at Desert Club. This was the same story given to me when we did the owner's update at the HICV at South Beach in Myrtle Beach in June this year.

However, reading the posts above, it seems that there are rare opportunities to get into HICV on the resale market, and to actually get HICV points. I feel bad for folks who joined their short lived "Crown Club" at the tune of $3000, only to have it go away in an instant. (Did Crown Club actually go away or give any benefits? I am not really familiar with what Crown Club offered, but we almost fell for it 2 years ago when offered at the Desert Club - someone with more info should correct me here.)

What I find fascinating is the statement of the HICV rep who said that they are soon to be acquiring other resorts, such as Massanutten and a resort in Williamsburg VA (can't recall the name). If this is true, then this really presents the same opportunity that the Desert Club owners had who were already on the books at the time of the takeover by HIVC. We were able to get into HICV for $200.

So, if true, then there are plenty of Massanutten units available for free or a small amount. Once this is announced, my advice to anyone wanting to get into HICV for cheap would be to buy a resale Massanutten. This is assuming that they offer the same conversion deal of about $200 to those owners who want to join HIVC.

Just my thoughts for a rainy 4th of July...

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bw wary of the comments that they are buying a resort in massanutten. They may but don't assume a timeframe. I have not been a member for 4 years now but when I was a member they were talking about it as well. They had sent out surveys to see where members would like new locations.

Last edited:

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bw wary of the comments that they are buying a resort in massanutten. They may but don't assume a timeframe. I have not been a member for 4 years now but when I was a member they were talking about it as well. They had sent out surveys to see where members would like new locations.

Question: are you a "member" of Massanutten (owner) or HICV?

The reason I ask is because I am a newer owner at the HICV in Las Vegas. I haven't yet gotten a survey on where members would like in new locations. If I ever get such a survey, I would opt for some HICV presence on Hilton Head, or in Sedona. I can't even see any Holiday Inns in Sedona with which to use my Priority Club points!!

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Question: are you a "member" of Massanutten (owner) or HICV?

The reason I ask is because I am a newer owner at the HICV in Las Vegas. I haven't yet gotten a survey on where members would like in new locations. If I ever get such a survey, I would opt for some HICV presence on Hilton Head, or in Sedona. I can't even see any Holiday Inns in Sedona with which to use my Priority Club points!!

I had converted my units when they first went to points in 2005, I think. I had. Been a member through about 2009 when I gave up the resort due to a financial crunch( renter destroyed my house). They had sent out a survey in that time period. They certainly did not sent out a lot of surveys.

Myxdvz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on the Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Lake Geneva property?

Barblich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Air
HICV Grand Geneva
HICV Desert Palms
Links Golf & Racket Club, Myrtle Beach
Vacation Village, Parkway
Falcon Cove, Avon, CO
SRL-Table Rock, Branson, MO
What kind of info are you looking for? I don't have any financial info however I just came back from there. Lovely timeshare. The Lake Geneva Resort is on the grounds of the Grand Geneva Resort and guests are able to use all of their amenities including the Water Park at Timber Ridge Lodge. Excellent golf course, restaurants, spa, pools, etc. The accommodations were first rate. I understand all of the villas are one bedrooms so if you book A two bedroom you get two one bedrooms connected with 2 kitchens. (A lock off) the town of Lake Geneva is very upscale with lots of arty stores to walk around and a beautiful lakefront to enjoy. If you are in the area this is the only Timeshare in the area, and I would definitely recommend.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I have a question about the RCI points. I was told I have to go through the HIVC portal to see exchanges using RCI points. The exchanges are listed in HIVC points, not RCI points.
Am I able to put any of my other weeks in to the RCI points account using points-for-deposit? I tried to set up RCI point internet access using the points account # on the HIVC site, but I wasn't able to complete the registration.
I would like to be able to add to the RCI points I got from them using PFD.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll take a stab at your question

I have a question about the RCI points. I was told I have to go through the HIVC portal to see exchanges using RCI points. The exchanges are listed in HIVC points, not RCI points.
Am I able to put any of my other weeks in to the RCI points account using points-for-deposit? I tried to set up RCI point internet access using the points account # on the HIVC site, but I wasn't able to complete the registration.
I would like to be able to add to the RCI points I got from them using PFD.

As a relatively new owner of HIVC points, I get into RCI through the HICV portal as you say. I cannot combine my old RCI points account into this. In fact, there is a new RCI number connected with this HICV accoung. I also wanted to go directly to the HIVC account without going through HICV. I found I couldn't do it.

But the transition works well, and as long as I still have an active independent RCI account I can see the same stuff available.

The points are double (50,000 RCi points equals to 100,000 HICV points). It is a currency thing, but the power is still the same.

I don't know if this answers your questions, but hope it helps. Let us know if you need additional answers.
sandy