• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club HICV HIVC

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a reply and strategy. Read through this thread from the beginning. I suggested that people may be able to buy where HICV is going to convert the resort. This is what I did to get into HIVC to begin with. As a result of buying at the Desert Club for cheap, we were owners when HICV came along and offered to convert us to the HIVC club for $104+100. This was a good deal, in my opinion, and not like the thousands that others charged.

You could pick up a small package or unit, convert to HICV, and end up with many more points in your HICV account.

You will see the suggestion to buy where they are going. Right now it looks like Massanutten is a good candidate. There are hundreds of Massanutten resales available for little to noghint.

Last edited:

GA Shooter

Reaction score
I have a reply and strategy. Read through this thread from the beginning. I suggested that people may be able to buy where HICV is going to convert the resort. This is what I did to get into HIVC to begin with. As a result of buying at the Desert Club for cheap, we were owners when HICV came along and offered to convert us to the HIVC club for $104+100. This was a good deal, in my opinion, and not like the thousands that others charged.

You could pick up a small package or unit, convert to HICV, and end up with many more points in your HICV account.

You will see the suggestion to buy where they are going. Right now it looks like Massanutten is a good candidate. There are hundreds of Massanutten resales available for little to noghint.

Thanks for the reply but I am still a little confused. Are we sure that HIVC is/has buying Massanutten? Is there a way to find out how many HIVC points a specific unit will be worth before purchase? Are all the different sections (Eagle Trace, Regal Vistas, The Summit, etc.) the same point values for similar rooms? Did HIVC purchase all the sections? Do the ponts I have now get combined with the new points? How does the MFs work once I own two are they combined someway or do I have to pay both? I am sorry for the noob questions but I have read a lot and have not found the answers elsewhere on here. Thanks again for the help.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No guarantees. I wouldn't think it would be smart to buy just on the possibility. In general HIVC points don't transfer on resale. So the only way to get more is to buy from the developer. Occasionally it is reported that someone bought resale and the HIVC points transferred to the new owner but I don't know if there is a location where anyone has reported that it works 100% of the time. I have seen ebay resellers advertise HIVC points that would transfer upon transfer but I wouldn't trust that to be the case unless you are working with an established seller who uses a contract and will include the guarantee that the points will transfer as HIVC points and if for some reason they don't, the deed would be taken out of your name and all money refunded. Even then it still may be a crap shot where you may get lucky and you may not.

weasey31

Reaction score
Sandy,
We havent gotten our RCI member number yet with HICV so we can't double check what the typical point valves are for the 4,000 plus resorts? Can u confirm if there are resorts in the network that you can get for only 5,000 points. That's what nick our salesman told us. He showed us a laminated sheet that showed us the point value vs. Time in months (3,6,9,12)from booking date.
Thanks.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
try this

The RCI portal through HIVC does allow for last minute point values. I see many units for 15,000 HICV points, which is 7500 RCI points. These, as you may know, are last minute opportunities. Great if you can travel on short notice.

I also recall that the RCI portal took a little longer to become active. Several of us posted that this was the case, back in the thread in the Western group where many of us learned about the conversion opportunity. I will try to find that link for you. Here it is: http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread....ht=desert+club

Look towards the end and you will see that it took about 4 weeks or so. Lots of good info in that (very long) thread.

I hope this helps.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy,
We havent gotten our RCI member number yet with HICV so we can't double check what the typical point valves are for the 4,000 plus resorts? Can u confirm if there are resorts in the network that you can get for only 5,000 points. That's what nick our salesman told us. He showed us a laminated sheet that showed us the point value vs. Time in months (3,6,9,12)from booking date.
Thanks.

If you have specific resorts and timeframes, I can check for you.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandy,
Thanks.

I would be curious if the sheet he showed you was for a per night stay as that would be accurate for some RCI points resorts. Timeshare sales people will show you one thing, start talking about another knowing that most people wont catch that they have changed tHe focus so you what you think applied to a previous discussion applies to the current discussion and yet it isn't so. There are weeks for 9000 or less as Sandy has pointed out but they are usually in slow times and within, if I remember, 45 days. I haven't used rci points in a long time but I have gotten weeks under 30 days for 7500 points. I have only used the nightly rci points once but it gets expensive when you figure in exchange fees, the maintenance fees for the points, and the housekeeping charge

weasey31

Reaction score
Gary,
The sheet he showed us was for a 'week' stay.
We never were told that there exchange fees either. I learned that after I read over the contract after we got home.
Pisses me off. After paying $9000 for the TS we have to pay more $$$ fees everytime we want to book something!!! Its ridiculous. ....

Im interested if you ever saw the points at 4500 ever. If not I will take this information to my attorney. It will be another win for me.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen less than 7500 for a week but I will admit that I didn't look often. I would be curious to see if others had found them. Timeshare sales people have a way of pissing me off as well. Some have outright lied to me whereas most skip over the details knowing that you are thinking one but knowing different (real estate investment is a good example because you are dealing with real estate when they know if you try to sell it is almost worthless)

I know longer own at orange lake nor do I have a rci points account. I have assess to rci resorts through my wyndham resort and to interval through diamond but I don't have a separate account. I really got tired of all the fees, the maintenance fees, the exchange fees, the housekeeping fees, sometimes there is other fees (wyndham kings gate has a mandatory $5 per day fee, wyndhams bonnet creek was looking earlier this year to impose $12 per day transportation fee whether you used the shuttle or not). There are costs involved but these fees seem to be getting out of hand

Last edited:

smtundra

Reaction score
I talked to a rep about converting my Williamsburg Colonial Crossing unit to the HIVC. I have a 3 bedroom EOY Even deeded floating week 14. I would get 195,000 EOY.

This resort will only use Interval (II) and not RCI. The conversion is $198. I already have an II account. If I convert to points then I have a points type of deposit with II that I will need to learn about. (Everything so far has been specific weeks).

If I join, I can go back to a deeded week after 3 years.

If I sell it myself while it's in points I can do that myself, but not if I use a third party. (I would need my specifics on this from them). Since most of the location are NOT where I tend to go on vacation, does anyone think that I could get any decent money selling this so that someone could get additional points?

Did any other resorts offer to buy back the timeshare? This resort is an hour from my house and we have always traded it with great results. I'm not sure if I want all these extra fees being in this club. Of course if they keep acquiring more. I could try it on for size and wait out the 3 years.

Thoughts?

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are the first report

I am glad that you posted your experience. As far as i can tell, you are the first one who has some details on what HICV is doing in Williamsburg.

How would that work if II does not even have points exchanges? (or do they, i just don't know).

Seems like the price has gone up, but still a good fee of $198 verrsus the thousands that other conversion programs are charging.

Did they break the amount down into two components: joining and annual fee? We paid $204 which was $100 to join HICV and $104 for the annual fee for all weeks owned and converted. Plus, it pays for our RCI account portal.

Are there resales at Colonial that will allow someone to get into HICV on the cheap? I am thinking of the affiliation with Massanutten where there are many resales available. Could be a good way to get into HIVC on the cheap.

Will you get a HICV portal into II? Do the fees pay your II dues so you can drop them if you want to eventually.

These are just some questions that come to mind. I think we can keep posted to see what happens.

smtundra

Reaction score
Apparently II does have a points exchange area, which I was not really aware of myself. My other resort has it available, but I only saw it on the elevator wall and did not go to an owner's "meeting". There isn't any info on II's website and I can't check other resorts to figure out point values.

$100 charge for the conversion, $98 annual fee (would have been $140, but I am already enrolled in II).

I'm sure there are resales available for Colonial Crossings. I would think people would learn to evaluate their options. Management was bad so I think a lot of people quit paying. But the resort is new, and they are adding new amenities buildings.

I'm thinking that I will NOT go into the points system. I have always been able to trade weeks with the resorts I have. But being able to go back and quit the dues after 3 years makes it compelling for a comparison.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It is in the II disclosure statement/buyers guide at the bottom under legal information. IntervalWorld buyers-guide.pdf

Look on page 5. You definitely want to see if they points they gave you transfer on a 1:1 basis. It is probably like RCI on a 2:1 basis but you need to confirm that.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many timeshare companies will give you a RCi (II) account but it is separate from your other accounts. You could end up with multiple accounts even though you only need one. One of the reasons I gave up my RCI Points account was that one (although RCI Weeks not RCI Points) was provided for me through Wyndham. My only real use of RCI was for the cheap sales which I still access to

dannd

Reaction score
E-mail Contact

Sandy, I could use some help with HICV issues I am having. If you remember last week you sent response to Weasy and me regarding a timeshare purchase in Myrtle Beach. Are there other sites on the internet to help get Timeshare issues/concerns out to the public? Help us all to understand this better -- other than Tug BBS?

Help? and thanks! D

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello D,

I spend most of my timesharing time here on TUG. They have a wealth of info in the general areas on this site. This information is especially great for new timeshare purchasers, whether they bought from the sharks or resale. Lots of learning - good stuff.

Someone posted here that they had seen HICV HIVC points on ebay. I have seen these sales, but do not need additional points. Many question whether the HICV points will actually transfer to a new owner. I am not sure. If you are familiar with my story on HICV, you will see that I benefitted from the conversion at the Desert Club in Las Vegas. That is how I got into the HICV club.

Here are two offered on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLIDAY-INN...90671272279?pt=Timeshares&hash=item5af5d28957

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLIDAY-INN...11176702658?pt=Timeshares&hash=item19e2a5dac2

I take it from your question that you want to find out if other buyers in MB has the same misrepresentations presented to them and what they are doing about it. I am not sure of any specific site, but a general search on Google for dissatisfied buyers might be a good place to begin.

Here on TUG, in every sub-discussion group, there are similar stories with other newbies purchasing. You might want to check out the "Buying, selling, renting" section. I think that the "Newbies Help" section is great for your questions and concerns.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In terms of points transferring, it depends on the resort. I know for a fact that Orange Lake (Orlando), reverts back to weeks (if converted). I'm not sure if a person bought points from the resort whether those points revert back.

TS

bravohut1

Reaction score
Membership Question

I am looking for some clarification regarding the Holiday Inn Vacation Club Membership via a transfer. I have an owner who is giving away a 1 bedroom unit at South Beach (Myrtle Beach). The owner states the unit is 32,000 RCI Points and 50,000 HIVC Points, fixed week 31. I recently visited the Holiday Inn Club in Panama City and was told that the membership only transfers to family members. Upon transfer of the unit it would convert back to a weeks account and if I wanted to become a HI Club member, then I would have to pay between $7,000- $10,000? I was also told that since I already have an RCI account the week could converted into RCI points, but I wouldn’t be able to trade into any of the other Holiday Inn Vacation Club Resorts, they have blocked RCI Members from exchanging into the Holiday Inn Resorts. The resort representatives explained that if I was a relative then the membership would transfer. I understand that the owner’s points will not transfer with my new ownership. My occupancy will start in 2014. I thought it was already converted into 32,000 RCI Points. The whole thing is really confusing to me. I don’t know if the resort was trying to deter me from acquiring the unit from the owner and purchasing directly through them. They offered me a resale unit for $7,500.00, which of course I didn’t buy. I really would like someone to explain my options if possible.
Thanks

Reaction score
They are somewhat right. When you buy the 1 bedroom at Myrtle Beach, you only get a week. The current owner shows what he gets, but it would be a week when you get it, no points. I'm not sure about RCI points, though. I think when they said $7000+, they were way off. My in-laws converted their 2-bedroom Week 20 at Orange Lake East Village for around $3000. In terms of using RCI to exchange to another HIVC resort, most other timeshare companies do the same.

TS

smtundra

Reaction score
Back to my Colonial Crossings in Williamsburg and HICV.

They have taken over the deposits for me into Interval. I am not pleased!

I previously would make a reservation and then deposit that week into Interval. It would take just a few minutes to complete.

Yesterday, I logged onto Interval and all I could see was "Bulk Assignment". I had no other options and could not search for trades. I picked the week I wanted to deposit and they said that the Inventory Department would try to pick that week and deposit for me. I've waited 24 hours already and they have not accomplished this yet. I know they lack experience with Interval, but they don't have anyone who can log on to my account to help me, like all my other resorts. Of course I was told that if I don't convert to points everything would work the same, except that I would have to call Orange Lakes to deposit my week.

I don't want to be a part of HICV because I do not want another yearly fee, trade fees, conversion and loss of points to convert to Priority Club points. I was hoping that this buy out would be the same or better for me, but this is not the case.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some clarification regarding the Holiday Inn Vacation Club Membership via a transfer. I have an owner who is giving away a 1 bedroom unit at South Beach (Myrtle Beach). The owner states the unit is 32,000 RCI Points and 50,000 HIVC Points, fixed week 31. I recently visited the Holiday Inn Club in Panama City and was told that the membership only transfers to family members. Upon transfer of the unit it would convert back to a weeks account and if I wanted to become a HI Club member, then I would have to pay between $7,000- $10,000? I was also told that since I already have an RCI account the week could converted into RCI points, but I wouldn’t be able to trade into any of the other Holiday Inn Vacation Club Resorts, they have blocked RCI Members from exchanging into the Holiday Inn Resorts. The resort representatives explained that if I was a relative then the membership would transfer. I understand that the owner’s points will not transfer with my new ownership. My occupancy will start in 2014. I thought it was already converted into 32,000 RCI Points. The whole thing is really confusing to me. I don’t know if the resort was trying to deter me from acquiring the unit from the owner and purchasing directly through them. They offered me a resale unit for $7,500.00, which of course I didn’t buy. I really would like someone to explain my options if possible.
Thanks
Your points are way off! week 31 would fetch allot more!

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

Hi Sandy, Good Call! with the units I own at the Desert Club I'm over the 500K threshold and haven't really realized any extra Bennies other than the extra window to book. twice I've stayed the Desert Club since becoming a "Premier" or whatever level 500K+ gets you. they have NO owners lounge, there wasn't any prefered check in. I didn't get any special Parking Pass, I wasn't addressed or acknowleged as a "Premier" member... and when asked about a late check out on both trips was told due to high demand there were NO Late Check-outs.
at which time I mentioned my "Status" and said that it was suppose to be a Bennie. still got the same response. SO IT's Mainly sales Hype to get you to buy more. don't know about the "Upgrades" ??? havent tried that yet maybe this fall when were there.
Like You I'm Happy with the Points Scheme, and it's working out well for my travel style. but only at the Intro rate we Got when they came to the Desert Club.
RT

Stayed at the LV Desert Club last week 11/2-11/9 upon arrival was directed to the NEW "Owners Lounge" for check in. it was a one on one sit down at a desk. where I was acknowledged as a premier member, was given the parking pass that said premier, room keys were also identified as such. (They still tried to get me into an "owners update" i.e.sales presentation. but a polite refusal was all that was needed.)
we were offered a cold soft drink and or a snack from a basket of goodies. then we were given lanyards with badges that identified us as premier members and said we had access to the lounge anytime for a soda, snack etc. which we took advantage of a few times
I had 3 other units rented out to some of my associates attending the same convention. as "Guests" of mine the were afforded the same benefits as Premier members which was unexpected, but Nice.
we had one of the newly redone units, not the "Signature Series" But one of the newly renovated units with the new designer package. Not sure if that was just the luck of the draw or because of membership level??? last June we had a new unit as well?
So anyway, some free goodies avail, a little fluff and acknowledgement and maybe a nicer unit. so they have now put in place what they said they would as far as check in etc. still some work going on around the complex, a couple buidings getting roofs, and they were Repairing/Painting the parking structures Cleanliness and Maint around the complex was 100% had an awsome week. RT

Last edited:

Crohnos01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw this thread and thought I would post something; a little off topic, but I am not sure where else to post it.

I travel a lot for business and as such, I stay frequently with Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express (never have figured out the difference, but apparently there is one). During one of my stays way back when, I signed up to be a "Priority Club" member. This has apparently now changed to be a "IHG" membership. The theory of the membership was to earn "points" for a free night here and there, preferential reservations, and a bottle of water and some goodies at check in (ok; I admit, I was after the water and goodies).

Last night, I was on the road having worked for 8 hours and driven for another 3 to get to a town in NM. I started looking for a hotel because I realized I wasn't going to stay awake for another 2 hours to get all the way back to Albuquerque where I fly home from tomorrow. The first two hotels were booked, but the last one I called recommended I try the Holiday Inn Express. I did and I got their last room. My cell phone was cutting in and out when talking to reservations but I heard the person say "thank you for being a club member and hold for.... (phone cut out). So pretty soon some guy gets on the phone and starts telling me about how Holiday Inn doesn't advertise except through word of mouth and they wanted to give their club members some special deal to say thank you. I should have smelled a rat right there... The phone cut out a few more times while he told me about being able to choose to stay 3 night/4 days in Las Vegas, the Smokey Mountains, Orlando, or one other that I lost in transmission for $199. Now this is sounding pretty interesting since I have a 29th anniversary coming up and $199 isn't too big of deal so, yeah I'm interested. I can use this vacation anytime in the next year, and even change the destination to one of the other resorts for free if I so choose.

I gave him a credit card number to charge to and AFTER I gave him that information he tells me that the package includes a 2 hour "tour" of the property and he needed to verify that I make at least $50k/year and am not in bankruptcy. Alarm lights go off in my head. I said "hey wait a minute; if this is a TS sale, I am not interested. I already own a TS that I got for $300 resale and there is no way on God's green earth I will pay a developer thousands of bucks." He insisted that it's not a time share sale, just a tour of the facility and that since I had already given him my credit card number and he had processed it, it was non-refundable.

I wasn't even aware that Holiday Inn did TS sales....Between the phone cutting out and being so blinking tired, I fell victim to their tactics.... I guess I will go do the 3 nights/4 days with the 2 hours of getting beat up and saying "NO" repeadedly, but I tell you what; I am taking a time clock with me and setting a freaking alarm. If this is the tactics that Holiday Inn has sunk to, I think I am going to see about revoking my membership in their "awards" club....cripes.....:annoyed:

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not really a bad deal

If I were you, and you already stay at Holiday inn hotels, enjoy the package you bought. You know you will absolutely NOT pay thousands for a timeshare. You will be able to see the resort you choose, and can keep it in mind for future trading. In addition, you will get to do your 29th anniversary in a nice resort. Just enjoy.

There are many tips for getting out of the timeshare sales without a fuss. First, you already know you can buy these for pennies on the dollar in the resale market. Keep telling them that. Next, say to them if they can match the $300 deal, you will buy (they won't).

Also, since you are an informed buyer, you are not likely to get sucked in as so many neophytes do, buying more than they can afford on the promises. Keep in mind that they will tell you that any purchase on the resale market will not get you points, or some such thing. This may be true (some here have done it successfully), but you certainlly can get one of the resorts in the HICV HIVC system cheap.

Keep calm, get your weekend for the anniversary, and get out of there. As their pressure mounts, just get your voice a little bit louder. Not angry, but firm.
Many other tips and secrets here on how to get out of if. If I think of others, or find the link to the discussions, I will come back and post here.
sandy

Reaction score
FYI, I was offered the same $199 for a 4-day 3-night stay at Orange Lakes here in Orlando, also with a 2-hour tour. All owners can use a part of their site to refer people

TS