• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club HICV HIVC

nanook

Reaction score
I've been looking to add to HIVC points (on the cheap).

Today I spoke with a sales rep from Orange Lake and was told the current conversion rate into the points system. I want to convert two other units into points and was told that rate was $5K for one and $7K for the other. After a bit of talking I was offered $7k for both.

I know this isn't a good deal. What other deals have others seen?

thanks

nanook

Reaction score
My in-laws did it for around $3000.

TS

Thanks for the info. The sales rep also said a straight points purchase from HIVC is $.30 per point (super expensive).

I guess I'll try to pick up a few 1 dollar properties and try to bundle them into this one conversion fee to make it more cost effective.

thanks

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I am trying to find a post in one of these discussions about how a person can buy into HIVC HICV and get their points transferred. Yesterday I was trolling through some posts and saw a representative from the HIVC HICV Gatlinburg resort who responded to a related question.

The rep said that Gatlinburg is one of the only HICV HIVC resorts that CAN transfer points to a new owner!!! He represented himself/herself as a spokesperson for the Gatlinburg group. I have tried unsucessfully to find this link and share it with my brother who wants to get into the HICV system

Did anyone see this? Does anyone know where it is? I would appreciate reading his post again, and perhaps contacting this rep directly to find out how to get into HICV through Gatlinburg on the resale market for my brother who is interested.
thanks,

notenuff

Reaction score
Odd year purchase

Sandy - I bought an odd year week at the Smoky Mountains resort on ebay last christmas. I thought I was buying a deeded week but was disappointed to find it was HIVC points. So you may be on to something. Now I have to pay a yearly fee even on even years to use an every other year timeshare week. I was hoping to use the week as a trade.

--Lori

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in your experience. Since you bought on ebay, I assume you got a good deal. Plus since it was already in the HICV points program, this is good IMO.

Your HIVC membership includes RCI membership too for those times you might want to exchange. But if you only want to go to the specific resort, that is a different question.

It is good to know that a person can buy resale and get into HIVC points program.

newretiree

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sandy, I loved this. I am Desert Club owner and went thru the conversion and sales pitch like this - this helped me understand more about what is happening. What do you think about the Eye being built there. Think Steve Wynn will buy them out?

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stayed at the LV Desert Club last week 11/2-11/9 upon arrival was directed to the NEW "Owners Lounge" for check in. it was a one on one sit down at a desk. where I was acknowledged as a premier member, was given the parking pass that said premier, room keys were also identified as such. (They still tried to get me into an "owners update" i.e.sales presentation. but a polite refusal was all that was needed.)
we were offered a cold soft drink and or a snack from a basket of goodies. then we were given lanyards with badges that identified us as premier members and said we had access to the lounge anytime for a soda, snack etc. which we took advantage of a few times
I had 3 other units rented out to some of my associates attending the same convention. as "Guests" of mine the were afforded the same benefits as Premier members which was unexpected, but Nice.
we had one of the newly redone units, not the "Signature Series" But one of the newly renovated units with the new designer package. Not sure if that was just the luck of the draw or because of membership level??? last June we had a new unit as well?
So anyway, some free goodies avail, a little fluff and acknowledgement and maybe a nicer unit. so they have now put in place what they said they would as far as check in etc. still some work going on around the complex, a couple buidings getting roofs, and they were Repairing/Painting the parking structures Cleanliness and Maint around the complex was 100% had an awsome week. RT
RT sweet...I got the same treatment in OL! but not in marcos but the units where amazing! I am very please how it all turned out! :cheer:

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
RT I see the job up for the board of directors. You have my vote!

roadtriper

TUG Member
Reaction score
RT I see the job up for the board of directors. You have my vote!

Appreciate the Compliment! maybe after I retire! owning and working in a Business in Maine, it would be hard to pull off. besides there are folks with Resumes a lot deeper than mine that always run for the Board. RT

sportsduck

Reaction score
From a call I had with OLCC about 6 weeks ago the cost to go from resale to points was to shoot through the roof. They stated with the new program (again, as of a few weeks ago) you would have to buy a points week through them and pay for the closing costs to have your current deed converted. So in other words, you'll wind up with two weeks, two maintenance fees, etc. Tried pretty hard not to laugh. I think I'll stick with the 60 "week" points I get from RCI each year thank you very much.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any update on Massanutten HICV HIVC?

I realize that this is an older thread, but as I was going through it again for someone who is trying to buy their first timeshare, I wondered what ever happened to the rumor that Holiday Inn Club Vacations would affiliate with Massanutten.

Has anyone stayed at Massanutten or gone through their presentation recently who can tell us more?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
No word at all. At Massanutten they are currently pushing RCI points within the Vacation Village umbrella. Even at a ridiculous $5000-$7000 per week sales seems to be fairly strong. I couldn't imagine they would sell or transfer to anyone until they have completely run out of steam with selling the conversions.

Sandy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I was just curious. It was almost a year ago when I heard this said at the HICV in Myrtle Beach. I will be there again next week, and if I go for the "update" I will post whether they are still mentioning this as a future affiliation.

I know that the Colonial Williamsburg came aboard, as well as Ron Jon in Cape Canaveral. Both are now in the HIVC program.

andex

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assumed a resort in Va possibly Massanutten was actually Willamburg? Looking forward to any info you get out of the update. Good luck with that!

dotnetnerd

Reaction score
Ron Jon Cape Caribe owner, converted to HICV

Hi folks, I'm new to TUG and joined re some questions about HICV.

We owned a week at Ron Jon Cape Caribe but missed the deadline to convert to points last summer.

Went to the sales update and ended up buying a cheapo studio unit at OLCC for $5000. So now we're in the HICV system.

Is $5000 a reasonable price as an entry into the HICV point system. I'm still within the rescind period.

What would be an alternative, inexpensive way to convert our Ron Jon unit into HICV points? My understanding is a resale purchase would not come with points.

Thanks!

Rehdaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new to TUG and joined re some questions about HICV.

We owned a week at Ron Jon Cape Caribe but missed the deadline to convert to points last summer.

Went to the sales update and ended up buying a cheapo studio unit at OLCC for $5000. So now we're in the HICV system.

Is $5000 a reasonable price as an entry into the HICV point system. I'm still within the rescind period.

What would be an alternative, inexpensive way to convert our Ron Jon unit into HICV points? My understanding is a resale purchase would not come with points.

Thanks!

I suggest that you contact owner support at 877.606.2582 (http://www.orangelake.com/HSIA_landing_orlando/privacy_policy.html) and ask them if there is a way to get your Ron Jon unit into the club without upgrading through internal sales.

I have it on good authority that as of last year there were three resorts, Lake Geneva, South Beach and Smokey Mountain that would allow you entrance into the club via a resale. You still couldn't bring another resort like Galveston in but you could bring in one of the three above. Perhaps Ron Jon is like that and all you need to do is ask the right person.

If you only relied on internal sales then they may have lied to you in order to steal another $5k from you.

gjw007

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rescind. You can buy olcc units for $1 in resales and get better trades. The studios will not provide enough points for most trades especially if you want a 1 or 2 befroom unit in the future or during gigh demand periods, the olcc system still charges for exchanges so biluying a resale will will cost thousands. I would rescind and research

Idomeneus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey all, can anyone tell me realistically how many points a family of 4 should have for a good week a year trip. I don't need tons of vacations but one quality week. Looking at a resale right now with 150k which does transfer HIVC. Thanks

dotnetnerd

Reaction score
I would rescind. You can buy olcc units for $1 in resales and get better trades. The studios will not provide enough points for most trades especially if you want a 1 or 2 befroom unit in the future or during gigh demand periods, the olcc system still charges for exchanges so biluying a resale will will cost thousands. I would rescind and research

Thanks Gary. Actually, we bought a 1-bdrm clubhouse (not a studio, sorry) and it's valued at 57,000 points. Our Ron Jon is bringing in 175,000 which is nice.

Today's the deadline to rescind but I may just keep it. $5000 doesn't seem to bad, by the time you factor in all the legal fees and headaches to buy a resale plus pay the fees to transfer in etc.

Reaction score
Question about HIVC on ebay

Found the below listed on eBay. Ive been looking at TS options. We like the Holiday Inn resorts. We are close to the Smokey Mtn resort and visit Orlando frequently. We visited both the resorts in these areas and like. Sent through the developer presentations but didn't bite due to price. This one is currently bid to $400.

Question if the below is purchased through through resale will I retain the same privileges as if purchased through the developer? It looks like the points come with this but wasn't sure if there were other limitations I'd need to consider. Price just seems really low.

Thanks in advance to all for any insight.

154,000 Annual Holiday Inn Club Points

Buyers First Year Available: 2016
Usage: Annual Usage
Float Unit : 2 bedroom, 2 bath, sleeps 8
Float week : 22-31, 51-52
Unit has a Full Kitchen
Type of unit: 2 bedroom

Estimated Maintenance fee: $691.00 due annually
Special Assessments: $0
Property Tax: $20.00 Billed By County
Deeded Perpetual Ownership (unit 515, Week 26)

The buyer of this unit will be responsible for the additional fees listed below. All fees are due in escrow one week from receipt of the purchase contract. Resort Closings, Inc. will perform the closing (non-negotiable). Closing costs include account inquiry, escrow services, document prep, recording services and resort notification.

Additional Fees Include:
Resort Closings Inc. Closing Costs: $475.00 (excluding title insurance) (Paid By Seller)
County Recording fee: $30.00 (Paid By Seller)
2015 estimated maintenance fees, taxes: $0.00
Resort transfer Fee: $100.00 (Paid By Seller)

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know that there are certain resorts that retain the points. Can't remember exactly - but a quick search on TUG should yield the results. I know for sure Orlando and Vegas do NOT retain the points.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Smoky Mountains units remain in points (I believe) when resold. The points do not count for any premium status but work the same for booking within the system and for use with RCI. In addition to MF there is also an annual membership fee which pays for an RCI portal for use only with HICV points.