TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday Inn Club Vacation - Did I Get A Good Deal?

Discussion in 'All Other Timeshare Systems' started by GoodOrBadIdea, Jan 31, 2016.

1. csxjohn

csxjohn TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Tropic Shores, 2br. Summer Bay, 3br L/O. Bluegreen Pts.
    In this case I wouldn't read too much into that. A week or more off to digest isn't too bad and this poster sounds as if they have a grip on what's being told.

We shall see but it they did keep the unit, I know I won't feel bad that they didn't take our advice. All we can do is give it and hope they weigh all their options and act accordingly.

2. skotrla

skotrla TUG Member

Yes, that's what I was asking. The official HICV policy is that you shouldn't have status and they reserve the right to take it away at any time.

-Scott
    Owner, HICV Google+ Group

3. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East, Oyster Bay
    I have a points based week at Orange Lake in Kissimmee. We have converted our point to IHG which has made it helpful in making trips to Europe. We are also using IHG this year to book hotels on our way to Hawaiian vacation. DH travels and uses IHG approved hotels so we have been able to make good use of our HICV. OP may be trying to do the same, we have also stayed at HICV in Mrytile Beach and Cape Canaveral. If you need more info OP
    Send me a private message.
    Silentg

4. lllGurulll

lllGurulll Guest

deleted comment to start a new thread.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. TamaraQT

TamaraQT TUG Member

Hello everyone....I too have questions about HICV purchase. I am a fellow TUG member and I visited HICV Orange Lake Orlando last August. My family loved it and I was considering buying resale on Ebay. I thought about it too long and missed out on a Holiday Week #26 a couple of months ago. So here I am considering it again. There is a Christmas week #51 available on Ebay. I came across this thread looking for info on what type of flexibility HICV gives to trade a holiday week for a summer week? I visited the owners website and I see where the weeks are given point value. So if I own a holiday week would it be easy for me to trade my week for a summer week at the same resort? Or should I look for a week I would like to travel every year? I was hoping owning a holiday week would give me more flexibility. If I need to start a new thread for this, please advise. Thanks in advance for any help and guidance anyone is willing to give. :)

6. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    If you buy a week at orange lake, even if the previous owner had points, it will revert back to a deeded fixed week. The points mean nothing for a fixed week owner. It will cost a minimum of a new purchase of $8000 to convert a deeded week to points with HICV. If you want summer there you need to buy summer there and it will still be a fixed week. Any other time you want to go you would need to use an exchange company like RCI. With RCI it would be easy to exchange a week 51 for a summer week but it would cost an additional
    $239 for the exchange.

HICV does have 3 resorts that retain points upon resale: Lake Geneva, WI, Gatlinburg, TN, and Myrtle Beach, SC. Those are the only 3 that resale locations that would allow you to use points through HICV without that $8000 plus purchase. Also keep in mind that if you have a HICV points week there is an additional HICV annual fee which I believe is around $150 on top of MF's.

7. TamaraQT

TamaraQT TUG Member

8. TamaraQT

TamaraQT TUG Member

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will STOP looking at this point and just continue to "rent " from owners. I was hoping it would have been worth it, but there is no need to buy a 'fixed week' and pay Maintenance fees that are higher than renting a week. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain it more clearly for me.

9. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    Hi,
    We just got 50,000 point/ year no longer than yesterday. I am curious to know where do you manage to sell your points. My goal is to pay that cost as soon as possible to save the interest. Once you sell them, how are they transferred to the people you sold them?

10. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed), Inverness by the Sea
    Did you just buy a contract?

11. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
  12. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    If you bought from a developer, your chances of recouping your costs are nil -1.

If you don't mind, could you provide the details of your purchase? (Date of purchase, cost, resort, fixed/float, maintenance fees)

13. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    I purchased from IHG orange lake resort through IHG directly. I think as they all seemed to be IHG staff and was done at the resort. Purchased yesterday for 11,000 at orange lake resort but you also get access to other hotels for different point ratio. Maintenance fees are 390 per year. Fixed or float i am not sure what you mean by there?

Did i just get scammed, any way i can break the contract before giving them any funds? I did mention i had concerns with the maintenance costs going up but they mention that wouldn’t change in a near future.

14. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    KevinQC likes this.
  15. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    Are you a owner of timeshares?

16. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Yes.

If you want to get into Timeshares there are quite a few good people here that can make your money go much further that 50000 HICV points.

KevinQC likes this.
  17. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    We travel at least 2 weeks a year and would rent in Holiday inn hotels at 100-150$ per night. Quick calculations told me it wasn’t really worth the first years you are paying off the initial cost but since it is good for lifetime and transferable to your kids i felt like it became worth It later. Wouldn’t you agree?

14 days would cost me minimum 1,400$ and continue costing more with inflation.
    1,400$ - 390 formaintenance fees - 200$ per period i stay would mean I’m saving abouy 800$ per year is how i saw it.

18. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    If you read the thread I provided, 50000 points will not get you a 2BR in prime season. You will need ~150000/yr and for that the MF (Maintenance fees) are currently ~$1500/yr.

You have the right idea, but you need to go about it a different way.

19. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    Thanks, your insight is much appreciated really. I will read that thread more in detail. Seems like i have 10 days to rescind I’m florida.

20. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC at The Flamingo
    Please recind. Timeshares can be great. You can find great deals resale and work the system to your advantage.

KevinQC likes this.
  21. Bmatrose

Bmatrose TUG Member

50,000 points is not enough to do anything meaningful with. Its just to get you in the door so they can sell you more later.

KevinQC likes this.
  22. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    Just mailed my rescind letter with a copy of the contract by mail with request for signature at reception. Sent two copied in case one gets lost. Hopefully this works out! I’ll keep you posted

dayooper likes this.
  23. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    The rescission days are based on when you signed and received copies of the contract. It has nothing to do with when you make any payments (first or last).

24. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

I might be a little late to chime in on this but...one thing to watch out for is phone calls coming your way. You might get phone calls from the resort or the sales people trying to convince you to reverse your decision to rescind. Be careful about answering such calls.

Remember, they legally can take up to 45 days to refund your money. It usually does not take that long, though. Just don't go panicking if you don't see your refund right away and start calling the resort asking for updates. If you sent in your rescission letter according to the instructions, the developer is required to refund you every penny, no questions asked.

25. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    I sent the letter and saw they received it but haven’t heard back from them since monday which concerns me a bit. I keep wondering if there is anything in my letter that could make it invalid.