TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Hotel descriptions are hilarious; need advice for hotel between Boston-Rockport

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by rickandcindy23, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Hotel descriptions are not well written. Usually you don't really read the entire description, or maybe you are looking for something specific, so you don't notice.

Run-on sentences with no commas, bad grammar, subject-verb disagreement, and just about every mistake you can imagine. The hotel resort sites have all of them.

I am looking for a lot of information for a hotel on the way to Maine from Boston airport. We didn't want to arrive late at Samoset in Rockport. Our week doesn't start until the next day.

I have been looking at hotels that are along the route. I have a free night coming from Hyatt, and another from IHG.

I want a hotel with reasonable parking fees or free, a breakfast included, and easy access off of the interstate.

Rick will want to avoid the toll roads because we will have a rental car, and we have read too many reports of crazy toll charges by the rental car companies because of the tolls. Renter says they paid the tolls themselves, and car companies say the toll is not paid and adds a lot of money to the car rental.

Anyway, do you have any hotel recommendations for a hotel between Rockport, Maine and Boston airport? Preferably a Hyatt or IHG hotel (Holiday Inn). But I have Chase and SPG points I can transfer to Marriott, if needed. I could also book Starwood.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  2. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I frankly don't recommend trying to dodge the I-95 tolls in NH and Maine en route to mid coast Maine just to save what is probably a grand total of about six or seven dollars max (you can pay cash at toll booths once outside of MA, which is now all only EZ Pass or later billing via license plate photo). Dodging those relatively few highway tolls seems very inefficient for the short money involved, particularly if you are traveling through on a weekend day, but that's certainly your prerogative. The secondary roads will take much longer and U.S. Route 1 is busy, commercial, slow and ugly in MA and NH --- and no scenic joy in southern Maine either. Time is money too, but it's your call.

Given your quest to use points or whatever for lodging, I would suggest conducting a narrowed down search for hotels in Portland, ME. That's about halfway (a bit more) to Rockport from Boston and I know for a fact there is at least one Marriott in Portland, maybe two, one of them nearly waterfront iirc. Dunno about breakfasts or parking, but it's certainly quick enough on / off the highway. i also don't know about Hyatts or IHG there, but Google should disclose all those details if you zero in on Portland ME hotels. You can inquire directly of the hotels thereafter for details of concern to you if their web sites are insufficiently descriptive.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. WalnutBaron

WalnutBaron TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe, HGVCx2, Welk
    I've stayed at both the Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks (listed at $107/night) and the Courtyard Portland Downtown ($123/night). Both are nice hotels. If you're looking to take in a bit of the downtown, I'd recommend the Courtyard, but the Marriott is south of town, right off the I-95 Turnpike.

4. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    Being something of a tightwad, I can appreciate trying to save on travel expenses. But I agree that it doesn't make much sense to waste precious time and pinch pennies, when you're likely spending thousands on airfare, meals & lodging (even if in the form of points) in any event. So I say: If you want to enjoy your travels, don't sweat the small stuff.

mpumilia likes this.
  5. Jan M.

Jan M. Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    Can you buy an EZ pass that is accepted in the states you will be traveling through and other states too? If you already have your own transponder for the EZ pass you can transfer it to the rental car. With the EZ pass they bill by plate so you will have to log in and register the rental car license plate on your EZ pass account and make sure to delete it as soon as you return the car. Just make sure to inform the rental agent when you pick up the car that you have your own transponder. Make sure the agent notes it on the rental agreement and signs confirming it.

If you pay cash make very sure you get a receipt for every toll you pay and keep them for several months afterwards. There is a good chance that you will have to prove to the rental car company that you paid the tolls.

6. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
  7. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I was considering this one as one of my top five, actually. We stayed at a Homewood Suites in San Jose and loved it. I think I am going to book it.

Rick is over-the-top excited about this trip. We have been to Pennsylvania, the Poconos, and NYC for one day, and we drove to NJ, just to say we did it. Now we are 62 and need to visit the other states in the NE.

We are willing to pay tolls, I just know that rental car companies will sometimes say you didn't pay the toll and then charge huge fees for their "inconvenience," or whatever they call it. I guess we will pay and keep our receipts, if there are receipts.

I shouldn't have planned this mid-spring (4/20-5/3). Rick says we could see snow, and we already have plenty here in Denver, so that would not be fun. We stay in when it snows. We really don't travel much in later May and summer because our yard is a lot of work and not something we can let go to weed for summer.

mpumilia likes this.
  8. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    We have something like that on our car here in Colorado. I doubt it will work in the states on the east coast. It's for all of the tolls around Denver to carpool, even. It's a PIA thing that we had to do to use the tolls with 3 or more passengers only.

9. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    I am a major tightwad, and so is Rick. We get along well and are celebrating our 45th anniversary this particular trip. Tolls are something Rick's Waze app is set to avoid. I don't mind going off the trail a bit to drive some side roads. I love it. That is why I don't want to arrive at 4 PM and drive all the way to Maine because I don't want to drive it in the dark. It's just so exciting to see everything, at least for us.

I also stay in the hotel until checkout time. I am not one to jump out of bed early and checkout, then go find something to eat. I want to eat at the hotel, take a leisurely shower and enjoy the hotel a bit. I am weird that way. Rick is too.

When we go to Hawaii, we always stay at a hotel both to/from Hawaii along the coast, and Rick's stepmom is ready to leave that hotel room to get back home to Denver by 8 AM. She doesn't want to enjoy the breakfast or have coffee, she is just wanting to get to the airport. Rick tells her our flight isn't until between 1-2 PM to get home, and she says she doesn't care, she just wants to go to the airport. I tell her we are not leaving until checkout time. She goes back to her room and reads her book a bit longer and will not just relax. She has her shoes on, her jacket on, and her bags by the door.

Jan M. likes this.
  10. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    I will definitely check those before booking something.

11. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    It will be cold. No doubt. We were staying at the Samoset in Rockport, Maine once in April and it was very chilly- snow on the golf course, etc. But we were able to head out to Acadia on a nice 50 degree sunny day and actually we did do a lot of sightseeing all around the Rockport/Camden area and some hiking, too, and it was fine. We don't like to be hot anyway. The day we headed home was a Nor'easter storm- rain- not snow thankfully but very bad nonetheless.

BTW- if you decide to stay in NH, check out the Strawberry Bank area in Portsmouth.

12. mdurette

mdurette TUG Member

Is this correct - you arrive in Boston at 4pm on a Friday? One word - TRAFFIC. If it were me....I would just stay the night in the city and then take the entire day to get up to Samoset. There is a Hilton right at the airport or find a place with a shuttle service.

Route 1 (back road) and Route 95 (toll road) run pretty much parallel with each other. Taking route 1 will add about 1 1/2 to 2 hours onto your trip. But, if you have all day Saturday to do it....then why not! Plan for a pit stop in Ogunquit for lunch.

Jan M. and mpumilia like this.
  13. theo

theo TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I don't recall that arrival detail being disclosed initially; I now retract my previous Portland, ME suggestion.

Based on this new information, Portsmouth, NH would be a good overnight lodging choice, getting completely out of Boston (yes, there will be serious commuter traffic at that time of day). Except for that commuter traffic delay and congestion, it's only about an hours' drive to Portsmouth. OP would then have a more relaxing morning and a more leisurely drive to Samoset. All driving done in daylight (on both travel days), without having to start the drive to Samoset from Boston's Logan Airport.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 3:46 PM
    WackyLucy and mpumilia like this.
  14. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn
    As I recall from our drive up I-95 from Portland up to where we got off to go over towards Ellsworth and Mount Desert Island there was nothing exciting to see. It's rather boring. Coming back along the coastal highway was slow but charming.

15. Talent312

Talent312 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC x2 and Gatlinburg Town Square
    If you'd like to meander a bit near Boston, get off I-95 to visit:

-- Lexington Common National Historic Site -- where the Minute Men were holed up in a pub, put down their steins, saying, "We'll be back in a Minute," and shot at the British passing by (mostly missing).
    -- Follow Massachusetts Ave & Hwy 2A (Battle Road Scenic Byway) to the Minute Man National Historic Park near Concord -- where hot-head farmers, thinking the British had set fire to the town, came down from the hills and shot at them from across the Old North Bridge.
    -- If you have time, stop at Walden Pond -- where you can walk around to see Henry David Thoreau's original cabin site.

http://www.battleroad.org/sites.html
    https://scenicbyways.info/byway/75243.html
    https://www.nps.gov/mima/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    https://www.mass.gov/locations/walden-pond-state-reservation

16. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    Talent 312:
    I love American history. It was my minor in college and should have been my major. I chose English as my major. The two complement one another for teaching. I never really used either. I just have a lot of nonsense info in my brain, and some of it is buried deep down in my brain. Love Mark Twain, by the way.

17. rickandcindy23

Resorts Owned:
    Okay, so we are actually arriving more like 3 PM, according to our itinerary. By the time we get a car, we will be on the road by 4 PM. I will have to re-think our plan a bit. Traffic jams can be kind of fun, if you have never been in that particular jam before.

Our second week is at Brewster Green, by the way. We hope to take some day trips around us to see some history. I hope we get to see quite a bit while there. Rick is already looking at other resorts for future stays nearby.

mpumilia likes this.
  18. Glynda

Glynda TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn
    We like Brewster Green. It's nothing fanc and it's not in a special location but it's a handy location for the Cape as far as we are concerned. We live near the water year round so it's not a loss to us. Do try the Brewster Fish House!

19. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, Pines,
    Fishermen's Village