• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How can someone spend $5-$10 of a foreign currency

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife was cleaning out some of her dad's old coins/bills (not rare), and came up with less than $10 of money from Canada, and Barbados (she thinks).

I guess US banks now charge a minimum of $7+ to convert---so that's no good.

One of the bank tellers thought that Tim Horton's will take the Canadian for payment-----that'd solve that (if it is true).

But, how can someone spend $10 in Barbados (or any country's) currency in the US?

Pat

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Many airports have a donation box where you can donate foreign currency to a good cause, for travelers who are returning from somewhere with what you have, an amount so small it is not worth trying to convert back to US dollars. I really can't see anywhere where you can spend a small amount of currency like that. If you really need to get US dollars back, you might try selling on eBay and get a few dollars out of it.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Short of donating to a charity as one departs a country, there probably exists no practical way to spend down old leftover currency- especially coins. And then there are the 'orphaned' currencies. Those abandoned by their own country. The Italian Lira, the Spanish Pesetas The Drachmas and Deutche Marks and Francs and Coronas and Guilders who knows what all that have been replaced with new E.U. Euros. Even in China, old currency gets replaced with new RNMBs that don't exchange after a time.

I keep a stash of old and orphaned currency in a jar. Occasionally I have dumped it out to see some of the places we've traveled- most, never to return to. I suppose some teacher might make this an educational project, but to what end? The money has no value and some of the countries don't exist. Young people would only learn to spend as you go or lose any value it once had. Is that a message to pass on?

Meanwhile I keep a small stash of 'seed money' in Euros and Mexican Pesos in the hopes of going back soon enough to need a coffee in an airport or maybe a Uber to a resort once again.

Jim

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Because we go to Mexico a lot, we always bring home enough for a meal or two and taxi fare to the resort next time.

I have a few Euros, English currency, Swiss francs, some old Mexican pesos, When our neighbor kids needed to do reports on other countries, since they knew I traveled quite a bit, I was able to share currency so they could take it to school as part of their report.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We keep a few denominations (mostly coins) of currencies for countries where we are likely to return, such as GBP or EUR. We also never convert any US currency back, we just keep it for our next trip. Otherwise we normally just use up what we have by buying trinkets, food or snack items before we leave the country.

I have always made it a practice to keep a few souvenir coins from any country I have visited. I now have a nice collection of many defunct or demonetized coins, particularly the pre-Euro currencies, including some DDR East German marks from my visit to East Berlin through Checkpoint Charlie. Their original nominal values don't amount to much, but they are interesting historical artifacts and do bring back memories of past trips.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
But do they accept it at US locations?

Highly unlikely. They have no better method of depositing or converting them to USD at their local bank, than any other US business. It's not like they send the daily proceeds back to Canada for processing!! :rolleyes:

On the other hand, we have sometimes been able to use CAD at locations in the Buffalo area, when we didn't want to break a larger US bill. But they are used to Canadians being there. I would certainly not normally do that, nor expect them to accept CAD, any more than I would expect Canadian locations to accept USD (other than at a very unfavourable exchange rate, if at all).

P.S. - And I am not aware of any bank, anywhere in the world, that accepts foreign coins. IME, they will only convert foreign bills. And US banks generally are much less comfortable and experienced in handling foreign currency than Canadian or European banks. There are some exceptions in larger cities or in border towns.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When I cleaned out my Aunt's home, we took all her coins to a coin shop and sold them there - if the coins are old or rare, a coin shop may have interest in foreign currency.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I have some old WWII German currency I framed. Makes a nice conversation piece.

My granddaughter took it to school as part of a History project.

Cheers