• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do I rent out my points? Is it profitable?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Both David’s and Paul at DVC Rental Store have been mentioned here. What are the pros and cons of each company?

Also, what if the renter cancels their reservation. When do you get the remaining 30%?
Renters simply do not cancel. That is something they know they cannot do because David's provides a contract that stipulates no refunds.

If you want a truly hassle-free way of renting your points. I have rented through David, but I have rented myself for more money. There is a hassle in doing it yourself.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Renters simply do not cancel. That is something they know they cannot do because David's provides a contract that stipulates no refunds.

If you want a truly hassle-free way of renting your points. I have rented through David, but I have rented myself for more money. There is a hassle in doing it yourself.

Do you prefer David’s or DVC Rental Store?

How much of a hassle is it to rent points yourself and where do you post the ads?

Even with David’s or DVC Rental Store, they still require that the DVC member make the dining and magical express reservations. This seems like the most work. I did not ask about FastPass reservations but I assume they would make the DVC member do that too in order to get the 60 month booking window. I wonder why they don’t just have the renter make all their own reservations. What if they want to make a change? Can’t they do it within their own My Disney Experience account? It is linked to their tickets or annual passes, not the resort. So I am confused as to why the DVC member would make all these reservations for the renter. Then we would also need their credit card info.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have only used David's. I would only rent with him. My experience was good. You do have to add the ME and other reservations, which can be a lot of work, but I haven't had to do much with my past experience. I think I added Magical Express for one couple, and that was it. I rented at least five or six times, so that is not bad.

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
You might need to add Magical Express, or add the Dining Plan (I think at lease some rental services don't allow that option) if requested, but the renter adds the resort reservation # to their MDE account and reserves all their own dining and Fastpasses.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you prefer David’s or DVC Rental Store?

How much of a hassle is it to rent points yourself and where do you post the ads?

Even with David’s or DVC Rental Store, they still require that the DVC member make the dining and magical express reservations. This seems like the most work. I did not ask about FastPass reservations but I assume they would make the DVC member do that too in order to get the 60 month booking window. I wonder why they don’t just have the renter make all their own reservations. What if they want to make a change? Can’t they do it within their own My Disney Experience account? It is linked to their tickets or annual passes, not the resort. So I am confused as to why the DVC member would make all these reservations for the renter. Then we would also need their credit card info.
Personally I find it easier to rent points myself. Nowadays I don't advertise, I have enough people I've rented to previously that contact me that I rent all I need to that way. I also downsized years ago from a high of 885 points to 432 now, sold off all my OKW points (contracts of 270, 232 & 50). With the higher points costs of the newer resorts and less exchange options, I likely will rent less and use more in the future.

The renter can make their own Fast Pass and dining reservations but the owner has to add the dining plan if applicable. They can also add ME on their own once the reservation is in their name. When I rent, I normally just email DVC and give them the ME info and let them make it.

bhrungo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you own at Grand Cal? I am able to get studios with no problem. I decided a few days ago I did not want the studio and switched to a 1 bedroom. I have never had any problems booking my home resorts so far. I just switched Aulani to different dates and got exactly what I wanted. I think as long as they are your home resorts, it is not a problem.

I would LOVE to rent at the Grand Californian. What would it cost for a week in a studio or 1 bedroom?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to rent at the Grand Californian. What would it cost for a week in a studio or 1 bedroom?
It depends on the time of year but round numbers about $3K for a studio and double that for a 1 BR for a week, maybe more in some cases.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
You need to have an owner there lined up before 11 months out to book GCV. It books up very quickly with the limited number of villas there. Just 48 total. 23 dedicated two bedrooms, 23 lock off two bedrooms, two grand villas.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
The points I have were banked and need to be used by Nov 30 because of my use year. If I don’t use them myself or rent them, I guess I will deposit to RCI. It is probably too late to figure how safely rent on my own. Thanks for any other thoughts...
I hope you got something booked about when you posted because availability is slim for 2018 and into 2019 already. If you didn't get something booked, you may need to consider those points lost.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both David’s and Paul at DVC Rental Store have been mentioned here. What are the pros and cons of each company?

Also, what if the renter cancels their reservation. When do you get the remaining 30%?

Understand that. I prefer to have Davids look after renting my points. It is completely Worry Free. They look after Everything. I have no problem waiting to get the extra 30%. It goes towards the MF's. Everyone has their preferences and they are all good.

I recently contacted both companies about possibly renting out a confirmed reservation that was booked for friends that cannot go.

Both companies required ACCESS TO MY MEMBERSHIP! NOPE! not comfortable at all.

For me, that was a deal breaker, no way am I allowing anyone accesses to my account to make changes.
- looks like we are doing an extra trip at Thanksgiving.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I recently contacted both companies about possibly renting out a confirmed reservation that was booked for friends that cannot go.

Both companies required ACCESS TO MY MEMBERSHIP! NOPE! not comfortable at all.

For me, that was a deal breaker, no way am I allowing anyone accesses to my account to make changes.
- looks like we are doing an extra trip at Thanksgiving.

What do you mean by these companies being a deal broker? They do access your account but there is not much they can do with it and they are both reputable so I would think it is okay.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
With access they can cancel or change anything. Even if it just by mistake, I’m also not comfortable with that.
Do they need that also for making reservations or just confirmed ones?
I have a confirmed reservation dvc hhi for next summer. I think I’ll just post it on another website and rent directly.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
What do you mean by these companies being a deal broker? They do access your account but there is not much they can do with it and they are both reputable so I would think it is okay.

I did not have to do any dining plan reservations.
I had several different renters so maybe none of them wanted it but
I was never asked to. Not sure if Paul was able to do it as I let him
do the searching for the units as well. You can choose to do the
searching yourself or give them access to the account to do it themselves.

I did not want to work hard at this process at all plus not have to compete
with other sellers when the emails go out. Who has time for that unless
you are getting the full money for those points. Worked for me.
I'll probably do it again next year if I don't go back to WDW.
My annual pass expires in October so I am only doing EOY passes now.

noreenkate

TUG Member
Reaction score

Deal breaker

If your comfortable using them great-
I am not. Especially with reservations 6 weeks before and 6weeks after.

Not saying they aren’t well established businesses but that I don’t feel comfortable giving access to my account.

The OP asked about cons-
I gave my opinion.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I need to learn how to do my own rentals for weeks and points I can’t use myself. Any advice?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deal breaker

If your comfortable using them great-
I am not. Especially with reservations 6 weeks before and 6weeks after.

Not saying they aren’t well established businesses but that I don’t feel comfortable giving access to my account.

The OP asked about cons-
I gave my opinion.

Yes I agree now. Just had a bad experience with DVC Rental Store. I do not trust them at all. I am not going to post the details but if anyone wants to know what happened, send me a private message before considering this company.

Last edited: