TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you find your car rentals?

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by Quilter, May 13, 2017.

1. Quilter

Quilter Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

The car I got for Italy through Autoslash (Priceline) has sent me this email:

Your car is unprotected
    Add collision coverage for $11/day
    Offer expires 09/04/17 at 04:00 AM EST
    [​IMG] Primary Coverage with $0 Deductible
    [​IMG] Up to $50,000 for Repair Costs
    [​IMG] Free Cancellation Until Pick-up
    EUR 268.63 ($297.74)

Because I also looked at rates through AutoEurope they have sent me an email saying they have insurance included in their rate:

Inclusive Rate w/ Deductible Includes
    - On Airport
    - Pick-Up Full & Return Full
    - Value Added Tax (VAT)
    - Liability Insurance
    - Fire Insurance
    - Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) - with deductible
    - Theft Protection (TP) - with deductible
    - Roadside Assistance
    - Unlimited Miles
    $322.96 USD

I don't know how to tell if the AutoEurope is the better deal. Can someone help?

I will pay for the car with my Chase Sapphire Reserve which has a good insurance policy.

2. Jimster

Jimster TUG Member

I just press the remote and listen for the horn.

bbodb1 likes this.
  3. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Credit card CDW coverage only kicks in if you decline all other insurance that is offered through the car rental agency. So if they are including CDW in your rate, it doesn't really matter what credit card you use to pay for the rental.

4. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I am embarrassed to say that I have too many RCI points and have been pretty much stuck using RCI Points for car rentals lately. But it's better than losing the points, and the prices are competitive. My points are around .009 each, so if a car rental is 50,000 points, I pay $450. We are on Kauai currently and have a car rented for about 55,000 points, 16 days. The $25 transaction fee I pay is a nonsense fee, that's for sure.

The Chase portal has been great for car rentals and is consistently lower than Costco.

5. Quilter

Dioxide would you'll favor the Priceline or auto Europe rental?

6. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I have no experience through either. I have also only rented one car in Europe, on the island of Rhodes Greece. I would think if you are going to take up CDW outside of your credit card, it would be easiest and best to do so with the actual rental car agency. What I have found with places like Expedia and Priceline is that they sell a separate CDW policy that is in no way associated with the car rental company. Some have found this to be a pain in places like Mexico where the rental car agency doesn't recognize it or wants to charge a huge hold to the credit card since the CDW is not associated with them. I don't know how this works in Europe.

Also, if your CDW is a separate policy and there is any damage to the car, the car rental company will charge your card and it is up to you to go to whoever sold the CDW and seek reimbursement. This is different than CDW bought directly through the rental car company where if you buy their CDW, you just walk away once the car is returned.

7. WinniWoman

WinniWoman TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    The one time we went to Europe- Scotland- we decided to rent directly through Hertz and got all the insurance through them to cover everything. Reserved on-line. We didn't want to fool around in a foreign country just for a few extra bucks. Worth the peace of mind.

8. Quilter

I went with Auto Europe quote. They are recommended by Karen Brown. We've used them several times and it's always been fine.

The autoslash quote from Priceline didn't feel comfortable.

Thanks for the thoughts and discussion

9. JudyH

JudyH TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I always book thru autoslash.com and the price always drops significantly.

Icc5 likes this.
  10. uop1497

uop1497 Guest

I am looking to book rental car for our coming trip in Switzerland. I checked Costco website and it does not do booking out of US country.
    have anyone use Auto Europe.com or autoslash.com to book car rental. Can you please share your experience.

It seems the pricing is cheaper vs direct booking with Hertz or Avis.

Thank you

11. rabbitt9

rabbitt9 Guest

Most major car rental brands provide discount codes to user groups - Avis AWD#s, Budget BCD#'s and Hertz CDP#'s. Some Car Rental aggregator's list all the discount codes. RentalPerks lists all of the above and other brands.

AVIS - 25% OFF

https://rentalperks.com/discounts/avis

BUDGET - 25% OFF
    https://rentalperks.com/discounts/budget

HERTZ - 25% OFF
    https://rentalperks.com/discounts/hertz

Good luck!

12. CanuckTravlr

CanuckTravlr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Ocean 22
    Not sure why that should particularly sour you on Hertz. It would certainly sour me on Hotwire. I have seen line-ups like that at most major rental counters in high-volume places like Orlando and Las Vegas, especially when multiple, large aircraft have just landed. While it is difficult to staff for exceptional volumes, 90+ minutes is certainly unacceptable.

It is one of the reasons I maintain Hertz Gold membership through CAA/AAA. I have encountered line-ups like that in Las Vegas, Hawaii and even in London, UK. The advantage of Gold membership is that my name and stall are up on the board. I go straight to the car (and can even pick a different vehicle), load in my bags and head out. As a Gold member I also seem to get great service when needed.

The various discounts I get usually mean that my price is competitive with other websites, especially if I book it far enough in advance. The second driver is always free and the reservation is not prepaid so I can cancel at any time. Even if I could get a slightly lower price somewhere I would not likely use it. The convenience and hassle-free factor is more important.

AwayWeGo and bbodb1 like this.
  13. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
    Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    I see this thread came back after a bit of a hiatus but in reading through it, I noticed that even then there was a lot of mention about AutoSlash.
    For what ever reasons, my experience with Auto Slash has been very disappointing. I've turned in a few car rentals for monitoring on Auto Slash but I have yet to see any reduction (lower price) found by Auto Slash. I've actually had better luck at dropping my rental rate by periodically reshopping the same rental with the same vendor as the rental time gets nearer and the vendor runs various promotions. I've had this approach work with Avis and Hertz FWIW.

But to be fair, I do not rent all that often.....

It doesn't take all that long to periodically reshop a rental for better terms or conditions....

14. A.Win

A.Win TUG Member

I haven't tried Turo but want to. I think Turo and Enterprise are excellent choices when picking up outside of the airport. Turo is like AirBNB for cars.

15. MOXJO7282

MOXJO7282 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I don't know how anything can beat Costco. I know I always get the best price from them. I just got a premium for 13 days on Maui for $512. I'm leaving for Maui next Sunday so it is last minute but it saved me $250 from price that held consistent until this week.

16. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

AutoSlash can beat Costco.

17. Tfish

Tfish TUG Member

I've had good luck bidding Priceline in the past.

18. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I don't like bidding with Priceline any more because I don't like paying upfront with no ability to cancel.

CanuckTravlr likes this.