• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you handle ahem .... OWNER UPDATES?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Sigh...I just cleared customs, stood in line to get my rental car, drove to the timeshare I booked. I am tired and cranky. All I want to do is check in and chill.

But...wait a minute. The front desk says I got to talk to the dude at “Owner Update” so I can be updated in “what’s going on.” Yup, he’s the guy with my parking pass... Darn.

Once I expose this update as a sales presentation with this dude, He switches gears and promises me cash, food and activity vouchers to attend. After the 15 Th NO, and now my voice is raised, he cuts me loose.

Ahhhh...Freedom....what’s this?? Who is calling me? They are leaving me a message? Ok, I’ll check. Now some other dude is telling me I’m booked tomorrow for breakfast and an Owners Update. Well, I ain’t attending thank you very much!

The next morning, there is a knock in the door. Just ignore and move on.

Am I handling these dudes right? Do you have any strategies on how to blow these sales people off and get on with your well deserved vaca?? Maybe, you have a funny comeback I can try!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Tell them No, and to stop wasting your time. And then don't answer the phone.

Dave

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Tell them No, and to stop wasting your time. And then don't answer the phone.

Dave

Yes, no is easy. I remember years ago I was having a cold beer in Vegas with a fellow who was staying in the same timeshare. This was his suggestion.

He said he would have timeshares for sale on eBay.com open on his iphone. He would proceed to show the Owners Update dude places where he can buy a timeshare for a few dollars. He also showed the dude bargain timeshares on TUG. He said they left him alone after that.

He he he....

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Yes, no is easy. I remember years ago I was having a cold beer in Vegas with a fellow who was staying in the same timeshare. This was his suggestion.

He said he would have timeshares for sale on eBay.com open on his iphone. He would proceed to show the Owners Update dude places where he can buy a timeshare for a few dollars. He also showed the dude bargain timeshares on TUG. He said they left him alone after that.

He he he....

You need a tug tee shirt and don’t answer your phone. Enjoy your vacation.
upload_2018-7-31_23-23-38.jpeg

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I just never go get the parking pass, I figure I’ll argue with them if they try to charge me for parking. So far, no ts has ever bothered me about a parking-pass-less car. Well, I do accept the parking pass at Villas at Grand Californian at DL. They’d charge me for sure, but they just give me a pass without trying to sell me a TS, so that’s cool.

If I’m interested in attending an update, I avail myself of the opportunity. Otherwise I say no and ignore all other follow up requests, unplug the phone, don’t answer the door, etc.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not all, but at most resorts the parking pass is just a scam. At Smuggs, Wyndham holds the keys hostage and I just tell the front desk my voice is about to go over 100 decibels if they don't give me my keys right here and now. I take my phone out and say here I go on social media. Usually this is where they say ok and go and get the keys for me.

If somehow I would ever end up at that sales desk (not at all likely), I would cut it short and turn it around and offer the guy/gal my own deal: Give me $35,000 cash and I will give you my 2 weeks here and never come back again. That's my offer. Take it or leave it.

It is really a shame that people have to go through this crap every time they check in.

Oh- and I also have that T Shirt in Panina's post. LOL!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I am on the "DO NO TOUR" list on the Wyndham computer ... I don't get hassle anymore. Nor do I get the $100+ 'gift' anymore.

I'm supposed to be on that list-I have called the resort and requested it several times - even have email confirmations-but somehow at check in I suddenly am not. SMH...

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Why bother interacting with those sales weasels at all? Any presentation time is just wasted time, in my opinion.

Why not just say at check-in "I am not attending any updates or presentations while here. Keep your gifts and coupons and tickets and let me enjoy my vacation. Do not call me and do not waste my time --- or yours. Have a nice day."

The End. :)

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann ... your profile has to be very negative. YES ... Wyndham maintains a DETAIL history profile of your Owner's Updates .. with offers, attendance and payouts. Just sit and chat up EVERYONE who is waiting with you. In a GROUP presentation ASK very specilic questions about WHY anyone would PAY $25,000 when you can buy the same number of points on eBay for under $10 ... while WAVING the eBay printed off ad. And then the listing of TUG ads, etc. YOU want maximum exposure to all their 'MARKS' and your wish will be granted. NO MORE UPDATES!

If you want to kill off the next day's attendance for sales .. wait til the trolls are gone and go sit out my the pool or TIKI bar with your Timeshare Users Group logo stuff. TUG means NOTHING to most people BUT the Timeshare word will catch more people's eyes.

I had CUTE business cards printed up ... with a great picture of BEACH, Ocean and Ft Lauderdale skyline ... nothing Wyndham on them (they have too many lawyers and too many kool-aid drinkers). Allows me to quickly give out my info .. not just for business, but to a buddy or two also).

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Once we told the Front Desk that if we were contacted by the Sales Staff even 1 time during our stay we would give the Resort all zeros in the post stay survey. They took care if the matter.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I was half tempted one time, after a particularly frustrating interaction at the parking pass desk, to print up a bunch of business cards that simply read something like, “$1 timeshares are real. Check eBay” or “don’t buy at the resorts without doing your research! Timesharing is not for everyone!” And just putting them in random places around the resort. If I did actually do something like that, I would stop short of calling Wyndham a scam, because I don’t think they are and I do actually like the product, but people really should do their homework before getting caught up in the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Unplug the phones. Enjoy your vacation. Now I tell them no I’m trying to enjoy what I have already. They shrug and give me parking passes. I also have Tug shirts.
Silentg

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave up on them long ago, even when the 'gifts' are tempting. Last exchange, we had hardly put our bags down when the condo phone rang inviting us to a cocktail to get to know the resort...I know what those gatherings are all about!

Kozman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gave up on them long ago, even when the 'gifts' are tempting. Last exchange, we had hardly put our bags down when the condo phone rang inviting us to a cocktail to get to know the resort...I know what those gatherings are all about!

I once had someone show up at my room while I was still unloading my luggage from the car. Phone is always off and the door is always locked.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any presentation time is just wasted time, in my opinion.

:)

Because, over 20 years, I have profited more than $10k. The answer to anything they say is simply no. No big deal, no stress. Making $300 for 90 minutes is a pretty good hourly rate. I understand many people can't stand saying no, we have no problem at all using the word. But I am not going to forgo free (90 minutes only) money. It's not a big deal to find 90 minutes of time for us.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann ... your profile has to be very negative. YES ... Wyndham maintains a DETAIL history profile of your Owner's Updates .. with offers, attendance and payouts. Just sit and chat up EVERYONE who is waiting with you. In a GROUP presentation ASK very specilic questions about WHY anyone would PAY $25,000 when you can buy the same number of points on eBay for under $10 ... while WAVING the eBay printed off ad. And then the listing of TUG ads, etc. YOU want maximum exposure to all their 'MARKS' and your wish will be granted. NO MORE UPDATES!

If you want to kill off the next day's attendance for sales .. wait til the trolls are gone and go sit out my the pool or TIKI bar with your Timeshare Users Group logo stuff. TUG means NOTHING to most people BUT the Timeshare word will catch more people's eyes.

I had CUTE business cards printed up ... with a great picture of BEACH, Ocean and Ft Lauderdale skyline ... nothing Wyndham on them (they have too many lawyers and too many kool-aid drinkers). Allows me to quickly give out my info .. not just for business, but to a buddy or two also).

I am not a Wyndham owner and they don't like it if that is what you mean by a negative profile.

What I just did yesterday was spontaneously attend a wine and cheese social (which unfortunately now takes the place of the informative owners meetings we always had at Smuggs), where they give everyone a tour of a Presidential unit. No sales pressure whatsoever. Then I started chatting with all their targets about resale and freebie timeshares. LOL! I even asked for a second glass of wine which was like heresy! The look on the reps' face was priceless! Ha! Ha!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
There are places where I gladly sign up because the discussion is low key, and I get nice free stuff. There are other places I will not even consider taking the update because the sales staff is rude and obnoxious. Your original post reminded me of our last 2 trips to Bonnet Creek - after waiting in a ridiculous line to check in, they told me I had to go see Guido at the Update counter to get my parking pass. I'll never go there again!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Once we told the Front Desk that if we were contacted by the Sales Staff even 1 time during our stay we would give the Resort all zeros in the post stay survey. They took care if the matter.

Or Trip Advisor! They hate that! LOL!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
There are places where I gladly sign up because the discussion is low key, and I get nice free stuff. There are other places I will not even consider taking the update because the sales staff is rude and obnoxious. Your original post reminded me of our last 2 trips to Bonnet Creek - after waiting in a ridiculous line to check in, they told me I had to go see Guido at the Update counter to get my parking pass. I'll never go there again!
Yes, but did you like Bonnet Creek? Don’t let the check in deter you from enjoying resorts. Unplug the phone tell them NO and be firm.
Silentg

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Yes, but did you like Bonnet Creek? Don’t let the check in deter you from enjoying resorts. Unplug the phone tell them NO and be firm.
Silentg
NO. I hated Bonnet Creek. Check-in was the worst EVER. OK, so we get there at 2:30 and check-in is 4:00. Some places will take your number and call you when your room is ready. Not BC - they rudely tell me to come back at 4:00, when there is a huge line. When I finally get to the counter, my room isn't ready. NOW they take my number. When we didn't get a call by 5:30, we went back to the desk - oh, sorry - your room IS ready. When we get to the room, there is no parking except for a big garage. Long walk from there. with our bags. Then the room is in a corridor with rooms on both sides. What resort has this? The corridor was always noisy with kids running around and screaming. Most resorts have an open walkway with rooms on one side. Not this place. And our room faced the parking lot, not the pool area. I could go on, but there was almost nothing I liked about Bonnet Creek.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, this is a case where consumers must flex their muscles against those unscrupulous timeshare companies, who solicit you to attend a sales presentation, under the pretense that it is an Owner Update, and not a sales presentation (or an "event" in which the primary purpose is attempting to sell you a timeshare product (e.g. additional points, additional weeks)), when, in fact, what you are attending is a sales presentation (being called an Owner Update).

Here is my analysis of these Owner Updates (that have a primary sales agenda), and what consumers should do, to attempt to gain control of the asylum from the inmates:

(1) Say NO. Say no once. If you continue to be badgered, walk away, hang up, or call the police, if you believe that you are being harassed. You have likely gone on vacation, to vacation, not be badgered or harassed;

(2) In many cases that I know of, a sales presentation is falsely identified as an Owner Update, and is performed by a sales representative (who may be a licensed real estate or timeshare sales person); in those cases, this may be an act of deception, and a deceptive business practice, for which the marketing person/people, sales person/people, and the company's that they represent must be held accountable*;

(3) It is unlikely that the marketing person who attempts to enroll you in an Owner Update (that is really a sales presentation, being referred to by another name) is licensed by a State Real Estate Agency, but the company that they work for, and that engages in deceptive business practices, may be held accountable for their actions, in many governmental jurisdictions, by the government. You may be in a state or governmental jurisdiction where timeshare salespeople are licensed by a State Real Estate Agency; if a timeshare salesperson is deceptive, report their actions/behaviors, and that of their employer and Managing Broker to the State Real Estate Agency (and Attorney General, and Office of Business Affairs);

(4) If you believe you are a victim of deceptive business practices by the timeshare company, report that company to the Attorney General's Office, and the Office of Business Affairs, if you are in a US State or jurisdiction. Recognize that the person who attempts to "hook you," may be an employee of a third-party (marketing) company, in which case that company, and the company that they work for, may be on the hook;

(5) Recognize that the only way that we consumers can gain control of the asylum from the (timeshare company inmates, and their trade association (and their alleged Code of Ethics)), is to be pro-active, and to take the steps outlined above. Simply complaining on social media DOES NOT cut the mustard, you must, at least, make the effort of reporting the deceptive business practices to the applicable state regulatory agencies. If you are in a state, and you are of an age that you are considered a senior, it is quite possible that the company is preying on you, based on your age, and you should, in addition to the above, report your experience to the state Office of Elder Affairs. AARP has a keen interest in fraud; you should report your experience to AARP, here: https://www.aarp.org/aarp-foundation/our-work/income/elderwatch/report-fraud/

(6) Whatever you do, give very serious consideration to NOT contributing any money to the ARDA-ROC with your maintenance fee, when you are asked to make a (not commonly disclosed as voluntary), voluntary contribution to the ARDA-ROC. Numerous parties suggest that ARDA is aware of unscrupulous behaviors by some of their member timeshare companies, behaviors that are not consistent with ARDA's Code of Ethics, and that ARDA allegedly takes no actions against these companies;

(7) In my opinion, the consummate Consumer Advocate, who has come closest to attempting to gain some control and consumer advocacy with the unscrupulous timeshare companies, is Irene Parker, of the Diamond Resorts Owners Advocacy Group, on Facebook. This is a Closed Group. You should contact the group regarding membership, and follow their brilliant strategies to combat unscrupulous timeshare companies. Also, Google: Irene Parker, timeshare, for additional information, and guidance, and read her writings;

(8) Whatever you do, do not relent.

* In some states, the timeshare developer's marketing activities may be regulated by, and/or subject to the oversight of the State Real Estate Agency, Attorney General's Office, and Office of Business Affairs. Hence, if you believe the developer's marketing activities may have been outside of regulations that are in place to protect consumers, put your concern(s) with the timeshare developer, in writing, and forward them to all three state agencies.

Subscribe to Receive Ralph Nader's Weekly Columns and Alerts:
https://nader.org/

Last edited: