• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How happy are you with your Marriott ownership?

• I'm very happy with my ownership.

Votes: 193 43.6%
  • I'm happy despite occasional problems, e.g., availability issues, Destination Club confusion, etc.

Votes: 111 25.1%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • I'm a bit unhappy with my ownership, but have no current plans to dispose of my Marriott ownership.

Votes: 49 11.1%
  • I'm unhappy, want to sell and would not buy another Marriott.

Votes: 52 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
So glad we discovered TUG many years ago. It saved us a bunch of money and made vacationing easy.
Wife and I went to Ko Olina way back in 2008 for a presentation and although we didn't sign on any dotted lines, the trip home was spent talking about all the great things we could do with a lockoff week. Once home, I started doing research on Marriott and kept running into this place called "TUG".
Finally decided to go there and it blew my mind. Learned about resale weeks and how much we could save by purchasing the week resale.
Also learned how people were gaming the system by buying an inexpensive Marriott resort, splitting the unit and getting two weeks in Hawaii.
But one of the TUG commandments kept sticking in my mind "Thou Shalt Own Where Thou Desire to Stay"...
We ignored that and purchased the least expensive week we could find - a Red week at Marriott Branson (resale, of course).
Although we WERE able to get a couple of exchanges into Hawaii in the summer, it was a pain in the butt - checking every morning to see availability, holding off on purchasing airfare to the last minute. So we sold the Branson (taking a $2500 loss) and purchased a "better trading" unit at Desert Springs Villas (Resale) - still ignoring the commandment. Same pain in the butt, but we got the Hawaii weeks a bit easier.

Then the TS market took a hit and Ko Olina weeks started appearing for $10K, so we purchased one, then a second. Sold the DSV week (at a $2000 loss).
But we finally had weeks where we wanted to stay. No more exchanging. This was the way to do it - just as TUG recommended.
Those $10K weeks are worth about $6K each today, so that's some more value loss.

We are closing now on two Waiohai weeks ($5500 each). Waiohai is where we want to stay now, so we rent out the MKOs, which make us some money every year.

I truly don't care that I can't get Marriott points every year and can't take points for our weeks. We own where we want to stay. We don't have to deal with exchanging. We own 4 resale Hawaii weeks for less than half of Marriott was asking when we first attended the presentation. And that includes the resale losses we took on Branson and DSV along the way.

We are very happy we purchased Marriott, and even more happy we researched with TUG before doing so.
In retrospect, we could have rented where we wanted to stay instead of buying any weeks, and we would have a lot more money in our pockets. but I'm betting we wouldn't have vacationed some of those years. That's one of the few things our presentation adviser did NOT lie to us about long ago - owning timeshare encourages you to use it every year.

We have stayed in Hawaii for 3 weeks every year for the past nine years. Wife and kids love Hawaii and she is a teacher so we got into timeshare with a daunting goal: three consecutive weeks in Hawaii in the summer. That is about as difficult as it gets.

Last edited:

gaile

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please bear with me. I am a legacy owner from way back. Have not kept up with changes. Not sure what DC even means. Can you explain what changes have helped you? I own a deeded week, not points. I have traveled a lot and far but not always with timeshares. Can't decide if I want more or less since I am now widowed and retired.

Kimber9999

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I am suppose to close on buying 4,000 Marriott timeshare points program. We plan to travel for 2 weeks every year but I am afraid 4,000 points will only get me one week. Only my husband and me so studio / 1 bedroom is all we will need with the exception of every other year needing a 2 bedroom. Any advice will be appreciated as to if 4,000 is enough points

Berea1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am suppose to close on buying 4,000 Marriott timeshare points program. We plan to travel for 2 weeks every year but I am afraid 4,000 points will only get me one week. Only my husband and me so studio / 1 bedroom is all we will need with the exception of every other year needing a 2 bedroom. Any advice will be appreciated as to if 4,000 is enough points
ndo

Hold - off!! If you own a Marriott week which gives you access to Interval International, you have access to thousands of Marriott getaways such at Orlando where you can stay at Marriott Sabal Palms on the grounds of the Marriott World Centre for under $750 per week. Ebay Marriott timeshare sales has 15 Florida timeshares and 5 South Carolina timeshares that you can acquire for free or for less than $200, a great buy. Just a thought. Patrick

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please bear with me. I am a legacy owner from way back. Have not kept up with changes. Not sure what DC even means. Can you explain what changes have helped you? I own a deeded week, not points. I have traveled a lot and far but not always with timeshares. Can't decide if I want more or less since I am now widowed and retired.

DC = Destination Club (points)

Points offer flexibility but at increased cost compared to legacy weeks. You'll find a wealth of information if you search for "destination club (DC) points in the Marriott forum.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
I think the post has gotten somewhat off topic.
The past several posts have not addressed "how happy" they are with their ownership.

Mar-Gun

Reaction score
I have been going to the Maui Ocean Club most every year since 2001. I used a buddy's unit and or bought a week on eBay till 2010 when I bought an annual and an odd and even year. 1 bed Ocean View. A year or so after the points system started I converted to it. Last year I used my points for the first time and Split my stay between Maui and Kauai. When we got to the Kauai we found out that we had been given somebodys lock off and not a 1 bedroom. The room was very old and had not been updated. The toilet had been pissed on. We went to the manager and wanted a room comprable to our maui and she informed us that an email with all the rooms details was sent and it was our problem if we didn't refuse it then. I found the email addresed welcome to your Villa. On the 4 th page was the details there were 4 ememoties one of wich was sheets. The staff brought us a counter and appliances however the room had only one receptical so there was no way to plug anything in. We had all ready been to Costco we found a dumpster out back and dumped it. We charged our phones in the car, eat out every meal, learned to never take the elevators, used the public restroom in the lobby and spent the week. I listed my units on red week and sold one right away. I will never ever trade again . Once was enough. I'm wondering if I would be better off converting back out of the points system as I will only use my home Maui units from now on.

TourGirl

Reaction score
Poor investment

While the resorts are nice....how could I ever be happy with buying my units as an investment???. It would have been much smarter to simply rent the units for vacations over the years...we would have saved big bucks..

I would have to say that you are not maximizing your points. We've stayed at Aruba (used 1,925 for a 2 bedroom which was renting for $5,600 at the same time), St. Thomas (3,575 points for a 2 BR that was renting for over $10,000) and Maui (4,250 points that was renting for $7,200) for instance--and which I would not have paid the cash for). So LOVE LOVE LOVE my ownership!

TourGirl

Reaction score
ndo

Hold - off!! If you own a Marriott week which gives you access to Interval International, you have access to thousands of Marriott getaways such at Orlando where you can stay at Marriott Sabal Palms on the grounds of the Marriott World Centre for under $750 per week. Ebay Marriott timeshare sales has 15 Florida timeshares and 5 South Carolina timeshares that you can acquire for free or for less than $200, a great buy. Just a thought. Patrick

It seems to me that a lot of people focus on the "less e
ndo

I think that works if you are looking at staying at the same place in a relatively low cost resort. We use our DC points for stays at St. Thomas (3,575 points for a 2 BR for 8 nights that was renting for over $10,000 for the week at Marriott.com), Aruba (1,925 DC points for a 2 BR 6 nights that was renting for $5,600 on Marriott) and the Ritz in San Fran (2,250 points for 5 nights in a 2 BR that was renting for over $10,000). None of these were available as a Getaway.

TourGirl

Reaction score
I am suppose to close on buying 4,000 Marriott timeshare points program. We plan to travel for 2 weeks everywo year but I am afraid 4,000 points will only get me one week. Only my husband and me so studio / 1 bedroom is all we will need with the exception of every other year needing a 2 bedroom. Any advice will be appreciated as to if 4,000 is enough points

It does help to work the program too to get the most out of the points. Skipping one or two weekend nights saves us a ton of points and we try to go on "shoulder season" just off main times to save points. Also, we love the new Escapes with the crazy cheap DC stays and full weeks if you can go within 60 days!

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to Surfwatch this March for our Canadian March break. 12 of us went. 2 3 bedroom condos. 1 garden and 1 ocean side. Everybody was happy with our timeshare! Weather cool but beats our 4 feet of snow! Only regret was not being able to stay longer. Still happy with my timeshare. Wish they had some closer to me (I live northern Ontario) but when I retire it won’t matter so much.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Even "happier yet"...as I've sold my third t/s, (see post #115). Currently down to 1 manageable unit in Myrtle Beach. Easy to drive to and and excellent trader. At almost 77, I see ourselves enjoying our last one for a few more years despite the
occasional S/A and the yearly increase in M/F.
With only one week left we are unable to utilize the 13 month perk but "getting out" with about a 50% loss of our initial outlay seems to be worth it. As I said in #115 things change, life marches on....but at this point it seems to be in a sprint!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am very happy. Own weeks and DPs. Excellent purchase prices on resale market. Able to book last minute trips at 25% discount on points. Able to plan at 13 months out when I want specific destinations and resorts. Can use DPs at Ritz Carlton instead of buying a fractional for exorbitant price. So far, so good.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Making the most of your timeshare- HELP!

Sadly I have to say we have not been taking advantage of our timeshare like we should these past five years b/c each year we can never get a week when we need it at our home resort-Barony Beach. We have two children and before that we could be very flexible and I felt like we got our money out of it. I am new on here in hopes of finding out more information to make this a better process. Even with Interval International we can't get a room at the Barony or other resorts we want to exchange too unless we call the first of January and with my husband's job it is hard to plan that far in advance. We have two weeks at the Barony and I did just get one exchanged through interval to Cypress Harbour which we are so excited about. I love Marriott and the quality of their resorts. I just feel like we are not taking full advantage and have tried to sell it also for the last 5 years with no success. It sounds like everyone on her is pleased and I would be if I could get my weeks. Is there a link on here that will explain what others are meaning by DC and IHMO. Sounds like this is helping a lot. Thanks so much and sorry for my lack of knowledge with all of this...busy momma of two kid :)

Not sure when you own but if it is for summer, my suggestion is book early for two weeks in July. Since you own two weeks, you can book 13 months in advance and do it back to back. You can go or rent the weeks. Summer rental should get you at least 2700 per unit. You can take the money and rent a timeshare on redweek, take a cruise or book into a hotel anywhere you want to go. anr to.

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot's Harbour Lake , Sheraton Vistana Villages
I would be very happy , but this is a second year we can't get a week at our home resort , Harbour Lake! I find it very annoying that if there is no available week in your season , you simply loose that week! It happened last year and it probably will happen this year...:(

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I would be very happy , but this is a second year we can't get a week at our home resort , Harbour Lake! I find it very annoying that if there is no available week in your season , you simply loose that week! It happened last year and it probably will happen this year...:(
Are you reserving your week exactly 12 months in advance? What weeks/season are you trying to book?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Even if you left it too late to book an available week with MVC, you should have been able to do a Marriott deposit into Interval for subsequent years exchange use (unless you left it even too late for that)

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are you reserving your week exactly 12 months in advance? What weeks/season are you trying to book?
No , unfortunatelly I wasn't sure if we can go or not....we have platinum week , from Jan-Aug31. If I want to book for October for example , first I have to book in our season , then deposit it with II , and book it( and pay II fee of course..:( ). Now they saying , there is no av week in my season at all , so , there it goes our week again.
On the other side , we have a week with Sheraton VV, we can use our point whenever and wherever we want , no restrictions.
I find Marriot's system very complicated to use , not user friendly at all....I would be ok with another Marriott resort in Orlando , but I can't get it only in my home resort and then exchange it with II....:mad:

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even if you left it too late to book an available week with MVC, you should have been able to do a Marriott deposit into Interval for subsequent years exchange use (unless you left it even too late for that)
Yes , it was too late for that....the only av week was Apr.29, and there is a 14 days requirement to deposite it with II!
At least they should let use book a week in an off peak season( we want to go in October anyway)

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes , it was too late for that....the only av week was Apr.29, and there is a 14 days requirement to deposite it with II!
At least they should let use book a week in an off peak season( we want to go in October anyway)
I still don’t understand though.
If as you say your season runs from Jan-Aug 31, you should still be able to do a Marriott deposit to Interval.
You don’t have to book a specific week yourself to do a Marriott deposit to Interval so I don’t believe you should be restricted by the week of Apr 29 being the only one available.
MVC Owner Services and/or the Interval contact here on TUG should be able to confirm this though.

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To deposit a week with II, first you have to book a week at your home resort , in your season.( this is a way with Marriott , and it upsets me because if there is no av week in our season , than we have lost that year's use , like it happened last year , I spoke to OS , and this is what I was told...)
The Apr.29 was just the only av week in our season, another one may come up , but they can't guarantee it.
And when I called them and said that there are av units through our season , on numerous booking sites , they said that those are the ones owners renting out to thise sites , and I just don't beleive it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To deposit a week with II, first you have to book a week at your home resort , in your season.( this is a way with Marriott , and it upsets me because if there is no av week in our season , than we have lost that year's use , like it happened last year , I spoke to OS , and this is what I was told...)
The Apr.29 was just the only av week in our season, another one may come up , but they can't guarantee it.
And when I called them and said that there are av units through our season , on numerous booking sites , they said that those are the ones owners renting out to thise sites , and I just don't beleive it.
You can go online and choose let MVC make an II deposit. You don't need to pick week with this option and it should go through.

Inventory at booking sites bleongs to Marriott, not owners'.

Ewiike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can go online and choose let MVC make an II deposit. You don't need to pick week with this option and it should go through.

Inventory at booking sites bleongs to Marriott, not owners'.
Just got an E-mail from Marriott , because yesterday I placed a rental request , but they say it's not available , follow the steps in the mail and cancel the request , of course step #4 won't work , there is no " Cancel Request" button , but there is a slight hope to make a deposit with II , so I still working on it...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.