• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How hard is this for a Christmas trade [Dulicate threads merged]

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt High Sierra Lodge, DVC Polynesian
Hello everyone,

Our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 teenagers) intends to go for a Christmas vacation to a beach destination. I will be trading in Interval International with what I am told is a strong trader: a couple of Hyatt resorts. We would like 2 back to back weeks over Christmas and New Years. The two top destinations are either Cancun or Hawaii. For the former, we are not keen on all inclusive resorts. How likely am I to find a trade into one of the following for that time period: Westin Lagunamar, Royal Resorts, Grand Luxxe and Grand Bliss? If not likely, how bad is Cancun in mid June? Should I focus on Hawaii instead?

As far as Hawaii is concerned, we would mostly look at the Marriotts or Westins via Interval. I also own with Disney but am not interested in using either the Hyatt or the Disney internal exchange system into their properties in Hawaii.

Thanks.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
These two weeks are BIG Mexican Holiday weeks and sought after by Mexican Nationals .
I assume you are looking for this year .

Vidanta does not include them in most contracts .They are sold as Holiday week contracts

Westin L. did sell week 51 & 52 contracts . ( A Tug Member posted she bought Lagunamar resale on ebay and it turned out to be a Holiday Week contract & a really great deal ).

The Royals are fixed week contracts and these weeks were sold .

SFX has a strong relationship with Vidanta .I would try calling them and ask .
A yes or no might be based on trading power.

All three of your choices are rented by owners and you may find some listings in the TUG
Marketplace / rental area .This includes Vidanta - because some owners will book these weeks to rent .

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These two weeks are BIG Mexican Holiday weeks and sought after by Mexican Nationals .
I assume you are looking for this year .

Vidanta does not include them in most contracts .They are sold as Holiday week contracts

Westin L. did sell week 51 & 52 contracts . ( A Tug Member posted she bought Lagunamar resale on ebay and it turned out to be a Holiday Week contract & a really great deal ).

The Royals are fixed week contracts and these weeks were sold .

SFX has a strong relationship with Vidanta .I would try calling them and ask .
A yes or no might be based on trading power.

All three of your choices are rented by owners and you may find some listings in the TUG
Marketplace / rental area .This includes Vidanta - because some owners will book these weeks to rent .

Hmmm....now that you mention it, I did not even mention which year. I guess I am ok with either 2018 or 2019 christmas. But if I get the gist of your message, either year is not very likely in Cancun given that most of these units will end up as rentals rather than exchanges.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hmmm....now that you mention it, I did not even mention which year. I guess I am ok with either 2018 or 2019 christmas. But if I get the gist of your message, either year is not very likely in Cancun given that most of these units will end up as rentals rather than exchanges.

Vidanta - may be possible for 2019 - since it is a RTU float week system .
Grand Luxxe is primarily done with Intervals . Grand Bliss is in both II and RCI .

Vidanta controls the inventory and built ( in pesos )for snowbird season Most GL contracts would have one year ARP . They do deposit units (as the developer ) 2 years out .
Similarly if SFX wants your deposit - they contact Vidanta and may work out an exchange

Last edited:

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks T-Dot. I just checked Interval for Christmas 2019. I can see availability at Grand Luxxe and Grand Bliss till exactly the week before Christmas 2019. Does that mean they are done depositing developer weeks?

Also, Bliss (not Grand Bliss) is available for Christmas and New Years. Should I just take that? Exactly how bad is it compared to the other resorts?

I have not used SFX before but will give them a call and see what comes of it.

jlp879

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Resorts have moved to mandatory all-inclusive for exchangers. IMO, a poor value for exchangers.

A rental directly from a Royal Resorts owner means you have an option of taking AI or not.

So you can cross them off your II request list.

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Resorts have moved to mandatory all-inclusive for exchangers. IMO, a poor value for exchangers.

A rental directly from a Royal Resorts owner means you have an option of taking AI or not.

So you can cross them off your II request list.
Interesting. Interval does not show mandatory all inclusive for them. Looking at Royal web site, it seems only Sands and Haciendas require the AI.....optional for Cancun. Says nothing about Caribbean and Islander. Not sure if this is up to date though. Even if AI is mandatory, their prices seem a lot more reasonable than 1000 a night for 4 people at some of the other places (I am sure the food quality suffers accordingly).

Update: Just talked to Royal. Cancun, Sands and Haciendas require the AI. The other two do not.

Last edited:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely extremely tough for 2018 at this point but even 2019 unless you really have something strong to trade. You don't say what size trade you have and what you would accept but if you're looking for a 2bdrm that adds to the challenge. If you have 2brdm traders and would accept 1bdrm sleeps 4 then you increase you chances considerably, again depending on the strength of your trade. I'm speaking more for Hawaii as I don't know Mexico because that wouldn't be on my list .

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Definitely extremely tough for 2018 at this point but even 2019 unless you really have something strong to trade. You don't say what size trade you have and what you would accept but if you're looking for a 2bdrm that adds to the challenge. If you have 2brdm traders and would accept 1bdrm sleeps 4 then you increase you chances considerably, again depending on the strength of your trade. I'm speaking more for Hawaii as I don't know Mexico because that wouldn't be on my list .
I would be trading two bedroom units at Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch and Hyatt High Sierra Lodge, both of which are listed as Elite resorts in Interval. I believe that is the highest category in Interval.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Also, Bliss (not Grand Bliss) is available for Christmas and New Years. Should I just take that? Exactly how bad is it compared to the other resorts?

I have not used SFX before but will give them a call and see what comes of it.

Bliss is the same sq footage as Mayan Palace with a different decor .
A 1 bedroom suite would be about 750 sq ft & a 2 bedroom adds a lock off style hotel room with 2 double beds .
All Vidanta brand levels get daily full towel service and cleaning etc etc . Quality is there , just not as Luxxe or as many sq feet as higher brand levels .

The only thing you cannot use is the pools & beachclub(s) of GB and GL & Grand Mayan ( ie the brands above where you are booked )

I believe the Bliss Buildings are near the new Grand Luxxe Jungle suites -both are further from the beach .
If you could get a 2 bedroom Bliss , with teenagers it would be a better floor plan than the GL jungle .

There is a lazy river coming & it is unclear if it is GL only or more brands

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be trading two bedroom units at Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch and Hyatt High Sierra Lodge, both of which are listed as Elite resorts in Interval. I believe that is the highest category in Interval.

Having a strong trading power week to trade with is only one half of the equation. For highly desirable resorts like Marriott and Westin in Hawaii and Cancun for Christmas's and New Year's weeks... I would say the chance is so slim I would not hold out any hope that they get deposited into Interval.

Cancun in June, not bad in hoping to find somewhere reasonable that is not AI to trade into.

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Having a strong trading power week to trade with is only one half of the equation. For highly desirable resorts like Marriott and Westin in Hawaii and Cancun for Christmas's and New Year's weeks... I would say the chance is so slim I would not hold out any hope that they get deposited into Interval.

Cancun in June, not bad in hoping to find somewhere reasonable that is not AI to trade into.
So should I take the Bliss (not Grand Bliss)? I am just getting ready to put in the request, almost 2 years out and would like to wait for some of the better choices (either one of the better Vidanta properties or something in the hotel zone).....but a bird in hand is worth two......etc, etc, etc.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So should I take the Bliss (not Grand Bliss)? I am just getting ready to put in the request, almost 2 years out and would like to wait for some of the better choices (either one of the better Vidanta properties or something in the hotel zone).....but a bird in hand is worth two......etc, etc, etc.
I do not have experience with the Vidanta properties.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott or westin properties in either Mexico or Hawaii would absolutely get taken during the preference period for those brands. Trading in to either brand in those destinations during christmas/new years would be like winning the lottery. Two consecutive weeks would be like winning it twice in a row.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Exchangers are awed by Grand Luxxe / 3 bedroom - 3500 sq feet .
If you can get a Bliss 2 bedroom - I would do it / If the sq foot works .

Kitchen wil be partial / I doubt if your going on vacation to get a full size fridge .

AND - it sound like Westin L . & Royals are unlikely to be available except via rental

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
And that even assumes there would be any deposits in the first place.

Marriott or westin properties in either Mexico or Hawaii would absolutely get taken during the preference period for those brands. Trading in to either brand in those destinations during christmas/new years would be like winning the lottery. Two consecutive weeks would be like winning it twice in a row.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I believe the Bliss Buildings are near the new Grand Luxxe Jungle suites -both are further from the beach .
If you could get a 2 bedroom Bliss with teenagers it would be a better floor plan than the GL jungle .

There is a lazy river coming & it is unclear if it is GL only or more brands

That’s right, the Bliss buildings are next to the Jungle Luxxe ones and the Lazy River. We got the impression that the Lazy River will be GL only, but time will tell.

I don’t think I’d do the Jungle Luxxe with teenagers. The one we stayed in had a smallish trundle type bed under a couch in the living area that would be a bit tight for 2. The square footage of the two are the same, but the Bliss would be better set up for two separate sleeping areas.

minstrel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks folks. I will talk to SFX about other options and might pull the trigger on this depending on how that conversation goes.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
For sure SFX is your best bet for Grand Luxxe holiday weeks. It would not surprise me in the least if they could get it for you.

SFX does not get many Hyatt deposits but season will matter for sure. They might not even accept an off season Tahoe week.

I’ve worked with a number of their reps but Nathan has gone above & beyond for me once and he is awesome. Ask for him when you call, hopefully he’ll be available.