• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

how many rentals are RCI exchanges?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the Redweek rental section for Disney's Saratoga Springs and i see several that are listed below MFs for this resort, especially if you take into account the listing and Paypal fees etc.

Why anyone do that unless they are not owners and they actually rent out external exchanges?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Could be scammers, could be people with a lot of DVC points who can't use them, could be people breaking the RCI rule of renting exchanges for profit.
If I had a double my Welk points, I could grad 4 summer weeks and would profit off $600/wk rates.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
the number of rental listings on Redweek:

Saratoga Springs: 33 listings
Animal Kingdom: 7
Old key West:8
Polynesian Villas: 1

We know that RCI only deposits Disney's Saratoga Springs so i suspect that many of the listings for this resort come from RCI

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am not sure they are renting below maintenance fees. I looked up the first one on Redweek and the MFs works out to a little over $1300 and they are asking $2000. You need to be careful when calculating MFs to be sure you are using the right season, the right unit size and the right MF. Also, keep in mind that if someone rolled over points, their “profit” may still be based on last year’s cost per point.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Any disclosure of a $190 fee is obviously an RCI exchange rental. DVC owners and their renters do not pay that. If they don't disclose it in the ad, they will disclose it for payment. You have to pay that at check-in. They cannot pay it for you. That is how it works.

Someone close to me works for Redweek, and she knows a lot of these are RCI exchanges. Some people want to get their listings verified, and she has to tell them that Redweek cannot verify an RCI exchange, but you can still list it and rent it without Redweek's verification process. Redweek doesn't want the liability. But then of course Redweek should probably re-consider their stand on that. Perhaps Redweek should have a rule against renting exchanges, but they do get that fee, so they continually allow people to do it.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
One of those OKW listings is mine. I was able to book studios for five nights and for 7 nights for the period right before Halloween. I keep hoping to get that rented. I can cancel without penalty, if no one rents it. Those exchanges for that period of time are hard to come by. I would say I have a good chance.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
the number of rental listings on Redweek:

Saratoga Springs: 33 listings
Animal Kingdom: 7
Old key West:8
Polynesian Villas: 1

We know that RCI only deposits Disney's Saratoga Springs so i suspect that many of the listings for this resort come from RCI
I've seen OKW and Boulder Ridge on RCI for this year. Just fyi.
1c0bf3b78354c2f293f91db3c460ccf8.jpg

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Disney has been releasing many 1BR SSR units on RCI lately, so it would make sense that people are scooping them up and trying to rent them.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure they are renting below maintenance fees. I looked up the first one on Redweek and the MFs works out to a little over $1300 and they are asking $2000. You need to be careful when calculating MFs to be sure you are using the right season, the right unit size and the right MF. Also, keep in mind that if someone rolled over points, their “profit” may still be based on last year’s cost per point.
i did not mean that they are all RCI exchanges. But look for example, there is a 1 bedroom in July for $1300. That week requires 227 points for a 1 bdr standard and maintenance fees of $1450.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The MFs are a bit less than you mentioned. Not sure how you are calculating them.

Assuming these are legit rentals, it would not surprise me that owners at SSI would rent out close to or just slightly above MFs. That is typical for timeshares.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I rent a week we own for less than the maintenance fee, and have for years. I do because I've learned that's the most I can get, reliably, and the most you can get, reliably, is better than nothing at all. Come to think of it, that's the case with another week that I rent through the Owners Rental Program, because I reliably get some-but-not-all of our fee back.

That has reduced the bleeding in the 11 years I've been trying to find others to transfer weeks we no longer use to.

It's not all bad news, though. At another resort, I rent for more than our annual fee, and have year-round day use there.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At SSI, $6.40 per point X 213 its for a week in June = $1363. The asking price for a rental is higher than that. In the timeshare world, if you can recoup your MFs, then you are doing well. SSI is the least desirable and has availability even now for the next 2 weeks.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
on Redweek, look at the week that starts July 27th, $1300. I think that week is 227 points, this is how i got to $1450 in MF. If you take into account Paypal and Redweek fees, that listing is losing money and i am not even taking into account the initial cost of ownership. It does not make sense to me

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent a week we own for less than the maintenance fee, and have for years. I do because I've learned that's the most I can get, reliably, and the most you can get, reliably, is better than nothing at all. Come to think of it, that's the case with another week that I rent through the Owners Rental Program, because I reliably get some-but-not-all of our fee back.

That has reduced the bleeding in the 11 years I've been trying to find others to transfer weeks we no longer use to.

It's not all bad news, though. At another resort, I rent for more than our annual fee, and have year-round day use there.
I assume that you are not referring to a DVC resort

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any disclosure of a $190 fee is obviously an RCI exchange rental. DVC owners and their renters do not pay that. If they don't disclose it in the ad, they will disclose it for payment. You have to pay that at check-in. They cannot pay it for you. That is how it works.

Someone close to me works for Redweek, and she knows a lot of these are RCI exchanges. Some people want to get their listings verified, and she has to tell them that Redweek cannot verify an RCI exchange, but you can still list it and rent it without Redweek's verification process. Redweek doesn't want the liability. But then of course Redweek should probably re-consider their stand on that. Perhaps Redweek should have a rule against renting exchanges, but they do get that fee, so they continually allow people to do it.
i see what you are referring to: on Ebay, there is a 1 bedroom that starts September 1st that mentions:
"There is also a mandatory $190 amenities fee payable on arrival to cover resort activities management."

So for sure this is an RCI exchange

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
by the way, also on Ebay, this seller vacationstrategyllc has 12 listings that mention the $190 resort fee so this seems to be very lucrative for him or her

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
on Redweek, look at the week that starts July 27th, $1300. I think that week is 227 points, this is how i got to $1450 in MF. If you take into account Paypal and Redweek fees, that listing is losing money and i am not even taking into account the initial cost of ownership. It does not make sense to me

Maybe that person has points that are expiring? Maybe they would rather get something than nothing? That is very common in the timeshare world.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Deleted

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
There is no such thing as $190 resort fee so it sounds like a scammer. That might explain everything you have mentioned.
Disney has a $190 resort fee when booked through RCI.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
i did not mean that they are all RCI exchanges. But look for example, there is a 1 bedroom in July for $1300. That week requires 227 points for a 1 bdr standard and maintenance fees of $1450.
The MFs are a bit less than you mentioned. Not sure how you are calculating them.

Assuming these are legit rentals, it would not surprise me that owners at SSI would rent out close to or just slightly above MFs. That is typical for timeshares.
1450÷227=$6.39 a point mf. SSR mf is $6.40 a point for 2019. OKW mf is $7.23 a point for 2019. But why rent your 2019 points when you can just bank them. So if they are 2018 points SSR is $5.86 and OKW is $6.72 mf per point.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
They might not be Disney owners renting them out for the ones that are through RCI. I can get two weeks in a 1BR at SSR for my annual MF of $1450. Plus Id have the exchange fee of $239ish and guest certificate fee of $66 making each week cost me $1025ish. I make the buyer pay the $190 resort fee so anything over $1100 would be a profit for me.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Most people who rent out their timeshares do so at breakeven or a loss. SSR is not the most desirable of the DVC collection. I guess this is the most the owner can get, assuming this is not an RCI exchange.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited: